As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    That sounds like a campaign by somebody who thinks all racism is overt choice.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Charlotte gets MLS team 30, unsurprisingly.

Alerady going better than Nashville, though, and have 7000 season ticket deposits.

e: Already, not sorry

Jragghen on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

reminds me of the jordan free throw line dunk

https://youtu.be/Ifh-ZndgQyQ

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I know the Christmas rush is usually make or break for championship hopefuls but I feel bad for Wolves having to play City at 3pm on the 27th then Liverpool at 11:30 on the 29th. Brutal scheduling.

Phisti on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Looking like Arteta is going to be the next Arsenal manager, set to be announced tomorrow.

It's a bit of a punt, but as ex-players go, I think he has the best coaching resume and has worked under Pep. He also seems like the type to crack the whip, which is what this team needs.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I think what Arsenal need is to be in a league that doesn't have better teams...

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    I think what Arsenal need is to be in a league that doesn't have better teams...

Leeds keep sending them "wish you were here" postcards from the Championship...

sig.gif
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Sorry going better than Nashville, though, and have 7000 season ticket deposits.

So that’s Sacramento, Charlotte and Nashville? Only issue will be schedule cause they won’t go away from 2 divisions so that’s 30! Divisional games with about 4 other games left. Not sure how this would work.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Their expansion plan is unsustainable.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular

Nonsense, just pay 100 200 300 million and a new stadium and you can also be part of this scam league!

Draeven wrote: »

Sorry going better than Nashville, though, and have 7000 season ticket deposits.

So that’s Sacramento, Charlotte and Nashville? Only issue will be schedule cause they won’t go away from 2 divisions so that’s 30! Divisional games with about 4 other games left. Not sure how this would work.

Yep. If they round out to 32, I think the expected two are Phoenix and Detroit. I question how the hell Phoenix will work long-term weather-wise, but *shrug*

Sacramento's likely to be successful in the near-term. They got accepted after landing a very wealthy backer, already have over 75% of the allocation for season tickets sold (a month ago), and the fanbase was already paying ticket prices above some MLS teams while in USL, and they already have their academy up and running (and doing rather well, if memory serves) so they'll come in with a pipeline for local talent pre-established. Charlotte is looking like they'll do fine, although there's going to be some friction because this is a "new" team and the USL team which already has an established fanbase is still around, but things being what they are, the bigger team will "win." Nashville is looking like something of a fiasco because they've had 2 (?) years to prepare and still aren't looking together.

The ponzi scheme of building wealth via increasing buy-in costs is annoying as hell, though, as a fan of one of the teams which has had it dangled in front of them for so long.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    What are the chance of bringing in a tier system? If you're going to increase in league size so much, eventually really you'll find there are tiers anyway, might as well make it official and then second tier teams can compete with a chance for some glory, promotion etc

edited December 2019
    Solar wrote: »
    What are the chance of bringing in a tier system? If you're going to increase in league size so much, eventually really you'll find there are tiers anyway, might as well make it official and then second tier teams can compete with a chance for some glory, promotion etc

MLS to lower? Not a goddamn chance. I think you're more likely to see a fragmentation of the top tier into fully separate divisions that don't play outside of the final tournament/a cup scenario.

In the lower levels? USL is already starting to assemble itself that way - there's "USL Championship" and "USL League One". MLS extras are going to be fixed in League One (which is slightly silly because in some cases they're the better teams they just don't have the support at all), and the league is already talking about potentially starting to have pro/rel between USL divisions within the next few years.

e: https://theathletic.com/1124965/2019/08/08/no-limits-usl-president-on-pro-rel-league-finances-stadium-upgrades-mls-relationship-and-more/

From August. The article is paywalled, but the google summary has the money line, which is from an interview with the USL President.
    Is promotion and relegation a possibility between the USL Championship and League One? 'Yeah, it is.'

Jragghen on
    Pellaeon wrote: »

Nonsense, just pay 100 200 300 million and a new stadium and you can also be part of this scam league!

The next expansion will be Nigeria.

Or a non-extradition country.

Solar wrote: »

MLS to lower? Not a goddamn chance. I think you're more likely to see a fragmentation of the top tier into fully separate divisions that don't play outside of the final tournament/a cup scenario.

Imagine paying the buy-in fees and then a few years later your team is demoted because it sucks, you spend no effort to improve, and never sniffs promotion? And you've built a 20,000 seat 'palace' in Fargo that is as empty as an early bowl game because Amercian sports attendance essentially stops at the Pro level.

Confirmed racist abuse by Tottenham fans toward Chelsea defender Antonio Rüdiger.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wasn’t expecting to fall in love with Gary Neville but ok.

Bogart wrote: »
    Wasn’t expecting to fall in love with Gary Neville but ok.

i notice sky didn't distance themselves from this

'That sounded better in my head.'

'That sounded better in my head.'

he really, really thought he was making a point

@Bogart Cheers!

Six points off City this season thank you very much indeed. No highlights on BBC1 so I can’t see it, which is a pain.

Liverpool should invite Adama Traore around for the parade

Oh and now Liverpool on Sunday, less than two days later. Fuckin hell.

Wolves bought Matt Doherty off my local team and apparently we have a 10% sell on clause

i really hope someone buys him for a giant filthy pile of money

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    That Wolves/City game was amazing in all the right ways.

On the other hand, they're building a strong case that it might actually be Liverpool's year....

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I do not understand how the 2nd Wolves goal was allowed. I haven't watched soccer my whole life, so maybe there is some wrinkle in the rules I don't get, but Traore crashes into Mendy's back like a hockey player on the forecheck. I've seen players holding the ball in a corner or against the sidelines tons of times, and I've never seen "just ram them right off of it" be used successfully before.

https://streamvi.com/watch.php?video=1577482149

Is there something I am just not understanding here?

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    I do not understand how the 2nd Wolves goal was allowed. I haven't watched soccer my whole life, so maybe there is some wrinkle in the rules I don't get, but Traore crashes into Mendy's back like a hockey player on the forecheck. I've seen players holding the ball in a corner or against the sidelines tons of times, and I've never seen "just ram them right off of it" be used successfully before.

https://streamvi.com/watch.php?video=1577482149

Is there something I am just not understanding here?

Mendy fucked it by:

a) not actually shielding the ball. He's doing like a weird half shield thing where he never actually sets himself which is dumb. If this had been at the corner flag the way players normally shield it, it woulda been a foul. As an aside, I have no idea why he tries to shield it there. If he has no outlet, he should be hoofing it away

b) not going to ground. By staying on his feet it just looks like a fair coming together where he got out-muscled

basically the rules are pretty ambiguous and "two big guys coming together and both of them staying on their feet" means playing on the vast, vast majority of the time

No idea how VAR called offside on Wolves there.

Should be 1-1.

Fuck VAR right in its zoom lens. Absolute bullshit.

it should be 1-0 to wolves since it looks like it smacked off Van Dijk's hand before he lofted it up to Lallana

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Pretty frustrated with how VAR is being used in this match (among others). Just makes the game feel completely unnatural with how long it takes, going back and forth on the tape, drawing all kinds of lines. And the results aren't even conclusive! It's masturbation. They want to completely eliminate all doubt and make it all fair but the technology and the rules can't produce that result.

Sarksus on
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Pretty frustrated with how VAR is being used in this match (among others). Just makes the game feel completely unnatural with how long it takes, going back and forth on the tape, drawing all kinds of lines. And the results aren't even conclusive! It's masturbation. They want to completely eliminate all doubt and make it all fair but the technology and the rules can't produce that result.

it's even worse when you're in the stadium because it's 3+ mins of just sitting there not knowing what's going on because they don't relay what's happening

just awful

• Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    I think they should swap to a "coaches review" approach, where each coach gets e.g. three reviews per game.

Football is not well suited to the ref frequently handing decisions over to the VAR, and yet that's exactly what would need to be done to help remove arbitrary/incorrect decisions from the game. I'm a big rugby fan, and the video ref works well in both codes as the natural flow of the game(s) is conducive to video review.

Handing the query power over to the coaches should allow football to more-of-less keep its original flow, while preventing the ref needing to hand everything over. The current incentives are all wrong, as they encourage the ref to hand as much over as possible to avoid making "bad" decisions; shift that burden to the coaches/managers/whatever.

edited December 2019

it's even worse when you're in the stadium because it's 3+ mins of just sitting there not knowing what's going on because they don't relay what's happening

just awful

Yeah I can imagine it being even more confusing and frustrating, although it's some consolation you don't have to see the ridiculous lines they're putting together :P

Sarksus on

just awful

Yeah I can imagine it being even more confusing and frustrating, although it's some consolation you don't have to see the ridiculous lines they're putting together :P

4pwnjpiluuz0.jpeg

never forget

just awful

4pwnjpiluuz0.jpeg

never forget

what is perspective

edited December 2019
    God damnit if they reverse this goal against City

edit: Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sarksus on
    it should be 1-0 to wolves since it looks like it smacked off Van Dijk's hand before he lofted it up to Lallana

ktulqexpkhlw.jpeg

oh look

This discussion has been closed.