As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Thread to discuss [JRPGs]

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
Let's talk about them. Just started up Tales of Zestiria because I have the platinum on Vesperia and I got worn out on going for the Platinum in Berseria.

So I'm going to try for the platinum in Zestiria too.

I've also got the two Trails of Cold Steel games waiting for me and motherfucking FFVII is coming soon!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    bdg0zo1lepdk.jpg

Here we go!

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Dang that tv looks amazing
    Anyway i can't believe that the most amazing jrpg i am going to play is going to be the next yakuza game

Peas on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I do want to play the Trails of Cold Steel games.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Started up Digimon Cyber Sleuth on Switch. Current team is Terriermon, Elecmon, and Guilmon with some randos in the reserves to leech EXP for later Digivolving. Just fought my first boss and got the memory upgrade, so now I can maybe Digivolve one of my Rookies into a Champion.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Thanks to Madican’s vigorous recommendation, I picked up Tokyo Xanadu EX and just started it.

I had no idea this was so thoroughly alternate dimension Trails of Cold Steel starring Less Friendly Rean and near-analogs of other Trails people. (White Shroud is totally Crow, isn’t he?)

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Thanks to Madican’s vigorous recommendation, I picked up Tokyo Xanadu EX and just started it.

I had no idea this was so thoroughly alternate dimension Trails of Cold Steel starring Less Friendly Rean and near-analogs of other Trails people. (White Shroud is totally Crow, isn’t he?)

It really is alt Cold Steel: Action RPG version.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I do want to play the Trails of Cold Steel games.

They're fantastic
    And assuming you get either the ps4 or PC versions they have a fast forward feature which is handy for long dungeons and traversal

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I dipped back into Tales of Vesperia last night, and thank god for the synopsis so I can actually remember anything about this game's story.

Immediately got wrecked by a solo tutorial fight vs those two doofus guards and had to turn the difficulty down to easy cause I could barely remember the basic controls, much less how combat actually worked.

Hopefully it comes back to me cause I like this cast a lot, not really sure why I put the game down in the first place.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yay, a JRPG thread is back. Warm fuzzies everyone!

...I have no idea what JRPG I've started I need to focus on. It's a problem.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Geez this Edelgard lady sure talks about being soaked in blood and the importance of her destiny and all that a lot.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Geez this Edelgard lady sure talks about being soaked in blood and the importance of her destiny and all that a lot.

Well yeah. Don't you?

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Why yes, she is a delight to talk to.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Got Three Houses for Christmas. I have chosen Golden Deer.

• Options
    She also wrecks face in battles. I've been repeating the free fight against bandits so everyone is overleveled, but she's the only one in heavy armor + one hit kills.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I'm on Chapter 3 of Tokyo Xanadu and just realizing that they've decided to put the Opening Movie before every chapter to create the illusion that this is an Anime.

I kept watching it thinking there must be small differences or some such. But nah.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I don't like that healing gives less xp than fighting though. Sleepy Dude (I'll learn their names eventually) is like 7 levels behind everyone else.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Japanese Role Playing Games?

Has anyone heard of this game Final Fantasy 7? As far as I can tell it seems to have been kinda popular? Is it worth playing? Some guy online said it's been pretty influential to other games in the genre?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    I'm on Chapter 3 of Tokyo Xanadu and just realizing that they've decided to put the Opening Movie before every chapter to create the illusion that this is an Anime.

I kept watching it thinking there must be small differences or some such. But nah.

Wild Arms 3 had a nice touch that the opening movie changed slightly each chapter your Save File got to.

• Options
    I think I remember that there is a chapter where the opening changes though. I won't say where, but the repetition is set up on purpose to highlight the change

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Has anyone heard of this game Final Fantasy 7? As far as I can tell it seems to have been kinda popular? Is it worth playing? Some guy online said it's been pretty influential to other games in the genre?

Sounds like indie bullshit to me

• Options
    Not gonna lie. I have 2 weeks scheduled off work when FF7R comes out. Not gonna spend the entire time playing it, but hey....

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I am trying to keep my expectations low, if it turns out to be great like the RE2 remake, bonus! if not, well it can go on the pile with all the other FF7 spinoff media.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I have FF7 on my Switch, which I plan to replay before the remake comes out.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I also got Kingdom Hearts The Story So Far.

Is that a JRPG?

It seems like it might be?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Sounds like indie bullshit to me

Ohhh, is it a walking simulator?

• Options
    Lady Byleth has a wieird-ass outfit.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

This looks so lifeless compared to screens of the original train graveyard

• Options
    I imagine lifeless is what a graveyard strives for

• Options
    Much like your posts

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Hard disagree. The original train graveyard is 2 screens, and has like, 5 trains total.

It sounds like they're turning it into a larger area and making it properly into a challenge of traversal, which the original really wasn't.

• Options
    The original train graveyard is short, yes, and that is entirely to its credit

The art design of ff7 thrives when it can use its limited resources to create a living space; it falls off in larger areas like shinra tower and junon

It manages to create an area that feels like it's rotting and decrepit without having to slap on the blue filter from the decontamination chamber from Archer's Enterprise

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    hi is this the right place to talk about renown JRPG "Death Stranding"?

• Options
    I like the look of that train graveyard and I hope I'm not attacked by hyenas.

• Options
    The train graveyard screens kind of just reinforce the core problem with setting a game entirely within the Midgar section. That section in the original game is somewhere in the 10 hour mark, and they want to blow it up to 30 hours or so if I remember correctly. Ain't just a whole lot of meat on that particular bone, you know?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Midgar is more interesting than literally any other part of the game and you only barely touch it in the original

• Options
    Well, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

• Options
    Is the fire emblem dlc worth it? I'm annoyed you can't buy it piecemeal but I got a nintendo gift card and am considering just putting that towards the bundle.

I also don't like that the online options are almost entirely asymmetric multiplayer... but you still can't do them if you don't have nintendo online.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Midgar is more interesting than literally any other part of the game and you only barely touch it in the original

people remember FF7 for the dirty sci-fi social periphery aesthetic which is wild because the game discards it as soon as it can

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Thinking about it, all of the gameplay moments I remember from my playthrough of FF7 over a decade ago are from the Midgar and Golden Saucer sections of the game. Everything else I remember is from cutscenes.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Thinking about it, all of the gameplay moments I remember from my playthrough of FF7 over a decade ago are from the Midgar and Golden Saucer sections of the game. Everything else I remember is from cutscenes.

I admittedly always quit the game by the beginning of the second disc. So there may be cool stuff past there, but I never saw it.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.