As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Tox wrote: »
    Can anyone identify any appreciable difference between the Box Set and Legendary sculpts of the Timber Wolf?

So the Pryde 'Cat drops the machine guns, downgrades the MPL to an ERSL, and then adds jump jets. Last I heard the speculation was, aside from posing, that the Pryde variant will have jump jet ports on its backside. I'm not sure we've seen a render of the back of it yet, I'mma check.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Can anyone identify any appreciable difference between the Box Set and Legendary sculpts of the Timber Wolf?

From what I can tell, Legendary's pose has the right foot forward, the arms pointing outward at different angles instead of both straight ahead, and missile pods look like they have a slight more upward tilt. Loadout-wise, looks like the left and right torso gun barrels have been blocked off and it has a different rear torso panel with jump jets added.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Yeah, found some shots. God, finding anything on Kickstarter is basically impossible.

Normal Cat ass:
    23aacc2c6f48f2e2b53addf2e8d60413_original.JPG?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1572532840&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=f659eb2e85d5365c94c02394942f0fda

Pryde Cat ass:
    fa955707d3a366dcbf4cac6f501881e8_original.JPG?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1572537068&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=61817ab9e6455c7062f72cf50fba4434

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Looks like the arms are also pointing a bit more outward, obtuse angle, instead of parallel

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    And jump jets?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Iolo wrote: »
    And jump jets?

Yes but that had already been covered so I didn't feel the need to restate it.

It's also got the opposite leg forward.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Tonight I got to see someone "do it wrong" with demoing the game.

He set up two equal BV forces, one side (his), was all 3025 tech level mechs, the other was all civil war tech mechs. The 3025 mechs were under Forced Withdrawal rules. The CW era mechs had 4/4 pilots while the 3025 ones were all standard 5/4s.

I believe it was:

3025 mechs:
    Cicada
    Marauder
    Zeus
    Spider
    Raven
    Hunchback
    Jagermech
    Hermes

Civil War mechs:
    Anubis
    Cerberus
    Dragon (7N)
    Blackjack Omni (I believe it was the C)

Unsurprisingly, it did not go well for the CW mechs.
    Blackjack was ganged up on and went down relatively fast. The Anubis ran out of ammo quick (it only had enough ammo to fire all 4 launchers 6 times). The Cerberus then got the gang-up treatment, and thanks to both Gauss rifles cooking off and falling he had enough pilot damage to need a 11+ to wake up.

At least they did get the Cicada to run under the FW rules...

Nobody on
    Who TF runs a demo game with both 2:1 odds, and Civil War era tech on one side?

That's just wrong on two counts, and smells to me like the demo-er wanted to play with some fancy toys while giving the trainees Level 1 tech. Am I reading this right?

Nips wrote: »

That's just wrong on two counts, and smells to me like the demo-er wanted to play with some fancy toys while giving the trainees Level 1 tech. Am I reading this right?

Or they wanted to teach some "but they have Clan tech" crybaby that tech does not victory equal, and/or that there is strength in numbers.

There's some potential training value to a skirmish like that, but it's extremely situational.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular

The person running the demo was using the 3025 tech

Reading comprehension for the win. :p

Knowing that, that really stinks. Feels bad, man.

Y'all

My wife, just, like, gets me
    afz8oj0cadhq.jpg

Sidenote, in a vacuum, would you rather learn Alpha Strike rules after having already played BTech rules? Or straight up without knowing the slog of btech rules?

Alpha Strike without prior Classic experience, hands down. You can play very fast intro games of Alpha Strike, then ramp that up with more units and optional rules.
    You can even ease into Classic later if you choose.

You can even take half steps by using hex maps for AS, and then introducing (as a hack) the movement rules from Classic before you get into the nitty-gritty of Classic's individual weapons, ranges, hit location tables, heat management, etc.

Going the other way (Classic to AS) is basically learning a new system from scratch that only vaguely resembles what you've learned.

Alpha Strike without prior Classic experience, hands down. You can play very fast intro games of Alpha Strike, then ramp that up with more units and optional rules.
    You can even ease into Classic later if you choose.

You can even take half steps by using hex maps for AS, and then introducing (as a hack) the movement rules from Classic before you get into the nitty-gritty of Classic's individual weapons, ranges, hit location tables, heat management, etc.

Going the other way (Classic to AS) is basically learning a new system from scratch that only vaguely resembles what you've learned.

Oh I was always going to use hex maps, just because grid-map based play is something that is already too well known, and also something I'm overly familiar with.

Does Alpha Strike work well for that The Grinder™ scenario you mentioned previously? Or do mechs die too quickly to enjoy it?

edited December 2019
    I find it's almost as fun, if a bit simple. Using the Variable Damage rule from the Companion makes things a tad more interesting, since you don't just nuke things right out with big damage shots.

The next time I run an AS Grinder, I'll be giving 'Mechs in my pick list quirks and SPAs to give them a little bit more spice and differentiation.

Edit: For my last AS Grinder, I homebrewed a crossbreed system for to-hit rolls that used d12's. You rolled one for each point of damage you could inflict, and each die represented the to-hit roll for that point of damage. A bit faster than 2d6+Xd6 per the Variable Damage rule, even if it diddled up the math a bit.

Nips on
    Trying to decide if I should buy Commander's Edition and Companion through the KS pledge or just wait and/or get the PDFs. Sounds like PDFs may be a better way to go since I can just print the rules I'll need for the actual games.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Trying to decide if I should buy Commander's Edition and Companion through the KS pledge or just wait and/or get the PDFs. Sounds like PDFs may be a better way to go since I can just print the rules I'll need for the actual games.

Wait, isn't the commander's edition the original and the Companion rolled into one?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Wait, isn't the commander's edition the original and the Companion rolled into one?

I have no fucking clue really. Is it?

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I have no fucking clue really. Is it?

That's the advice I found on a reddit thread where someone was asking about the different books for Alpha Strike.

This is my frustration with tabletop Battletech. It's difficult to keep what's in which book straight. It's a bit like the situation with the books Total Warfare, Tech Manual, Tac Ops "Advanced Rules" , Tac Ops "Advanced Units and Equipment", & the Battlemech Manual, all for classic Battletech. The BMM, TW, and TOAR are rules to play, the Tech Manual and TOAU&E are for construction rules. I believe I understand the breakdown between the first trio (TW is basically everything you care about for combined arms play, BMM is a super modern easy to use reference book of just the Battlemech rules, TOAR is the really out there niche-use optional rule stuff), but I don't get what the difference between the two construction rules books are.

Also, I'm not clear which books are supposed to cover space battles? It sounds like TW/TOAR cover the old Aerotech stuff, but if you want Warships you need Strategic Ops (so does that make it the modern version of Battlespace?)? And which has the construction rules for ASF's, small craft, & Dropships, and which has the construction rules for Jumpships, Warships, and orbitals/space stations?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited December 2019
    Commander's Edition is almost the entirety of the core Alpha Strike book plus the Companion rolled up together and cleaned up. It includes every rule you need to play, and also introduces a simplified system for Battlefield Support (aerospace and artillery strikes) in addition to the existing (and complicated) aero and arty rules.

EXCEPT it does not include the rules for converting units from Battletech to Alpha Strike, nor calculating Alpha Strike point values for units.

IF you were only going to buy one book to reference for rules on how to play, Commander's Edition is the one to get. There is still a small amount of value in owning all three books, though.

IMO, I'd rather have PDFs of the books CGL releases at this point. Revisions and errata get rolled up and released to the PDFs with nonzero regularity (for free and automatically, from most places you'd get them) whereas the printed books rarely get a second or third printing to include errata.

Nips on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Commander's Edition is almost the entirety of the core Alpha Strike book plus the Companion rolled up together and cleaned up. It includes every rule you need to play, and also introduces a simplified system for Battlefield Support (aerospace and artillery strikes) in addition to the existing (and complicated) aero and arty rules.

EXCEPT it does not include the rules for converting units from Battletech to Alpha Strike, nor calculating Alpha Strike point values for units.

IF you were only going to buy one book to reference for rules on how to play, Commander's Edition is the one to get. There is still a small amount of value in owning all three books, though.

IMO, I'd rather have PDFs of the books CGL releases at this point. Revisions and errata get rolled up and released to the PDFs with nonzero regularity (for free and automatically, from most places you'd get them) whereas the printed books rarely get a second or third printing to include errata.

It is a bit disappointing they didn't include conversion rules in that book, but I've kind of come around to the idea that maybe it doesn't really matter much. Having spent time trying to convert some custom units, quite often it made little numerical difference from an existing stock unit card off the Master Unit List anyway. And given Alpha Strike's overall emphasis on fast play and abstraction of details, the gameplay impact of those customizations, even if you have them, is typically less than in classic BT. So I can see how they might think it's not particularly important to bother including.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Having spent time in the spreadsheet mines, I'm pretty much with you there. Even though I'm a stickler for precision, in most cases you could probably get by picking a unit's card that's close, and fidgeting the numbers and specials around as needed.

Yeah this was the one bit of information I was most looking forward to.

Also the overheat rules are .... weird? to me. Like it seems like most mechs don't actually ever overheat?

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular

Also the overheat rules are .... weird? to me. Like it seems like most mechs don't actually ever overheat?

Kinda. The base attack ranges assume you're firing everything you can without going into heat debt, only starting to build up if you use its OV to boost attack power in exchange for heat.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited December 2019
    Ianator wrote: »

Kinda. The base attack ranges assume you're firing everything you can without going into heat debt, only starting to build up if you use its OV to boost attack power in exchange for heat.

This. And also, if you follow through the unit conversion rules, you see exactly how much excess heat it takes to cause a unit to have an Overheat Damage value; it's gotta be pretty excessive. Just tiptoeing onto the heat scale isn't enough for Alpha Strike to care. Also, having an OV value reduces the base damage of the unit, because the game assumes that you have to back off a bunch of guns just to keep the heat in check. Remember, each point of AS damage is roughly 8-10 points of BT damage; so we're talking Large Lasers and PPCs here.

Look at the card for some of the gunboat style 'Mechs, and you really see it. A Stalker 3F, for instance, is bonkers. Whereas an Awesome 8Q only barely heats up on a per-turn basis a tiny bit in BT, so AS doesn't care.

Nips on
    So how many folks are already locked in on their pledges? I mean, obviously you can go back through and re-do it I suppose but, yeah. Thinking about going ahead and pulling the trigger and getting it done.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I locked mine in because I'm all too likely to forget to get it done otherwise. I can always go back and change something if it seems like a good idea later.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Is there something special to lock in? I thought I did, but might have to go check.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Is there something special to lock in? I thought I did, but might have to go check.

Just actually finalizing the purchase and paying

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Just actually finalizing the purchase and paying

Ah, ok. I did that then. Although I thought you can still go back and add stuff right?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I locked in as soon as I could.

You can go back in and add on, but as I understand it that means you unlock your pledge and have to go back through the whole selection process. I might be wrong on this, though.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    So the past few years I've run Battletech games at my local gaming con. I had them set up as a short campaign-style deal but wound up just having pickup games for new or old players. This year I want to change things up and run a Grinder!

Problem is, while there's rules available I can't find anything about what units are suitable for the selection pool. Should I just print out 3025/3039 sheets for all the units in my full set of Lance Packs?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »
    So the past few years I've run Battletech games at my local gaming con. I had them set up as a short campaign-style deal but wound up just having pickup games for new or old players. This year I want to change things up and run a Grinder!

Problem is, while there's rules available I can't find anything about what units are suitable for the selection pool. Should I just print out 3025/3039 sheets for all the units in my full set of Lance Packs?

I would, yeah. You can probably even have different variants so that as you get into the mid-range weights you can go up in BV without going up as much in weight

Doubling up on Tox's advice, with a couple notes from prior experience:

-Avoid units with a lot of command-level equipment, like wads of ECM/BAP/TAG. TAG especially, since in a Grinder it's literal dead weight.
    -Mixing tech bases can make your pick list get weird, since ClanTech outclasses IS stuff so much. It gets an appropriate BV bump though, so things that are ClanTech will routinely come in equal to a weight class higher or more. I'm looking at you, Grendel

Here's my last pick list. Gotta update it for the coming year; it's been a bit since I ran a BT Grinder out of my collection.
    	Painted				Unit	Tons	BV	G/P	Adj BV
    1	Locust (20)	20	Light	-3M	Locust LCT-3M	20	522	0/0	1,462
    2	Mongoose (25)	25	Light	-66b	Mongoose MON-66b	25	934	2/4	1,504
    3	Hermes^ (30)	30	Light	-1sb	Hermes HER-1Sb	30	1,112	2/5	1,557
    4	Hitman (30)	30	Light	-1	Hitman HM-1	30	925	2/4	1,489
    5	Spider^	30	Light	-7M	Spider SDR-7M	30	621	1/2	1,391
    6	Jenner^	35	Light	-7F	Jenner JR7-F	35	1,011	2/5	1,415
    7	Panther^	35	Light	-10K2	Panther PNT-10K2	35	913	2/4	1,470
    8	Raven	35	Light	-4X	Raven RVN-4X	35	820	2/3	1,492
    9	ForestryMech MOD Cus.	35	Light		ForestryMech MOD Custom	35	741	2/2	1,452
    10	Koshi (Myst Lynx)	25	Light	Prime	Koshi (Mist Lynx) Prime	25	871	3/2	1,463
    11	Cougar	35	Light	Prime	Cougar Prime	35	1485	4/5	1,485
    12	Uller (Kit Fox)	30	Light	Prime	Uller (Kit Fox) Prime	30	1085	3/4	1,497
    1	Cicada^	40	Medium	-3M	Cicada CDA-3M	40	812	2/2	1,592
    2	Clint^	40	Medium	-2-3T	Clint CLNT-2-3T	40	770	2/2	1,509
    3	Vulcan (40)	40	Medium	-5M	Vulcan VT-5M	40	811	2/2	1,590
    4	Whitworth^	40	Medium	-2A	Whitworth WTH-2A	40	1,055	2/4	1,699
    5	Phoenix Hawk (45)	45	Medium	-3D	Phoenix Hawk PXH-3D	45	1,315	3/5	1,578
    6	Phoenix Hawk MOD (45)	45	Medium	-3K	Phoenix Hawk PXH-3K	45	1,359	3/5	1,631
    7	Wolf Trap (45)	45	Medium	-1	Wolf Trap (Tora) WFT-1	45	1,070	3/3	1,669
    8	Centurion (50)	50	Medium	-AH	Centurion CN9-AH	50	945	2/4	1,521
    9	Enforcer^	50	Medium	-5D	Enforcer ENF-5D	50	1,308	3/5	1,570
    10	Trebuchet^ (5N)	50	Medium	-7K	Trebuchet TBT-7K	50	996	2/4	1,604
    11	Bushwacker	55	Medium	-X1	Bushwacker BSW-X1	55	1,223	3/4	1,688
    12	Dervish^	55	Medium	-6Mr	Dervish DV-6Mr	55	1,347	3/5	1,616
    13	Griffin (55)	55	Medium	-2N	Griffin GRF-2N	55	1,606	4/5	1,606
    14	Shadow Hawk (I_K)	55	Medium	-5M	Shadow Hawk SHD-5M	55	1,430	4/4	1,645
    15	Dragonfly (Viper)	40	Medium	Prime	Dragonfly Prime	40	1,450	4/4	1,667
    1	Dragon^	60	Heavy	-5N	Dragon DRG-5N	60	1,223	2/4	1,969
    2	Quickdraw^	60	Heavy	-5K	Quickdraw QKD-5K	60	1,265	2/4	2,037
    3	Rifleman (60)	60	Heavy	-5D	Rifleman RFL-5D	60	1,395	3/3	2,176
    4	Catapult^ (UAC/5 K2b)	65	Heavy	-K2	Catapult CPLT-K2	65	1,319	2/4	2,124
    5	Crusader (65)	65	Heavy	-2R	Crusader CRD-2R	65	1,533	3/4	2,116
    6	Jagermech^	65	Heavy	-DG	JagerMech JM6-DG	65	1,625	3/5	1,950
    7	Grasshopper^	70	Heavy	-6K	Grasshopper GHR-6K	70	1,597	3/5	1,916
    8	Warhammer	70	Heavy	-7A	Warhammer WHM-6D	70	1,471	3/4	2,030
    9	Warhammer MOD (70)	70	Heavy	-6D	Warhammer WHM-7A	70	1,679	3/5	2,015
    10	Marauder (75)	75	Heavy	-5D	Marauder MAD-5D	75	1,787	4/4	2,055
    11	Orion (75)	75	Heavy	-M	Orion ON1-M	75	1,414	3/4	1,951
    12	War Dog (75)	75	Heavy	-02FC	War Dog WR-DG-02FC	75	1,814	4/4	2,086
    1	Awesome^	80	Assault	-9Q	Awesome AWS-9Q	80	1,875	3/5	2,250
    2	Thug	80	Assault	-11E	Thug THG-11E	80	1,640	3/4	2,263
    3	Zeus^	80	Assault	-5T	Zeus ZEU-5T	80	1,729	3/4	2,386
    4	Battlemaster*	85	Assault	-3M	Battlemaster BLR-3M	85	1,679	3/4	2,317
    5	Atlas^	100	Assault	-K	Atlas AS7-K	100	2,175	4/4	2,501
    6	Thunder Hawk (100)	100	Assault	-7X	Thunder Hawk TDK-7X	100	2,577	4/5	2,577
    7	Grendel (Mongrel)	45	Medium	Prime	Grendel (Mongrel) Prime	45	2,290	4/5	2,290

(Sorry for the quick and dirty post, I'm cooking dinner)

Is the grendel really that nasty?

It's a very fast (7/11/7), very hard hitting (48 Alpha, 43 if you ignore the cERSL) Clan medium with good range (1xcERLL, 3xcERML). Its downsides are that it's not fully armored (eyeballing it, it's about 75-80% covered) and can run hot (33 heat on 24 sink, before movement). In the right hands, it punches well above its weight class.

It's got a base BV of 2290....which is exactly where I left it. I couldn't in good conscience put it in my Heavy tier, because it out-BVs everything there by up to 300 points.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, it's super worth noting that CGL just recently revised their BV calculation! They changed the weighting for Piloting skills, so as to make it slightly cheaper for improved Piloting levels.

Which reminds me, I double need to update that pick list, now with both freshly-painted units and the BVs recalculated and reworked.

Trivia question! Are there any "left-handed" mechs?

I've noticed a lot of mechs have just one gun hand, and/or a "main gun" arm, and in ever case I can think of, it's always the right arm. The left arm never has a bigger gun than the right, at least not anywhere I can find.

Anyone?