As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Thread to discuss [JRPGs]

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the train graveyard screens look fine to me. Again, keeping low expectations so I can't be too disappointed. I do miss the pre-rendered backgrounds of PS1 RPGs though. They were so beautiful and detailed.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    All I remember of ff7 was the hype and my indifference for it. As I got a lot of crap for getting a Red XIII figure in Japan because I thought it looked neat from some people who raved about how deep and thought provoking the game was for them.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The train graveyard thing just feels to me like a difference of "Do you prefer an orange color filter (Original) or a blue color filter (New)"

It seems relatively inconsequential to me

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Is the fire emblem dlc worth it? I'm annoyed you can't buy it piecemeal but I got a nintendo gift card and am considering just putting that towards the bundle.

I also don't like that the online options are almost entirely asymmetric multiplayer... but you still can't do them if you don't have nintendo online.

Which fire emblem?
    Yes and no some of it is worth it but it's for the most part maps. I don't know about the newest one

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I have probably played through midgar at least 20 times.

I’ve probably made it past disc 1...twice.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have played and 100% finished FFVII at least 5 times.

I have played FFVI to completion at least 50 times on around 5 or 6 different systems.

If they ever announce a fancy remake of FFVI that keeps the core gameplay in tact... I'd buy it for $300

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I have played and 100% finished FFVII at least 5 times.

I have played FFVI to completion at least 50 times on around 5 or 6 different systems.

If they ever announce a fancy remake of FFVI that keeps the core gameplay in tact... I'd buy it for $300

VI is my second favorite FF and only fairly recently lost the top spot to X due to the mechanics aging more poorly.

I would love a high quality remake. Maybe if the VII one works out well.

steam_sig.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I have probably played through midgar at least 20 times.

I’ve probably made it past disc 1...twice.

Same for me. Partly due to rentals, playing at friend's houses and getting my save overwritten. But even when I finally owned it I could never complete it.

steam_sig.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

This looks so lifeless compared to screens of the original train graveyard

xdu7xung5za3.png

eh, i got no particular reverence for 7 so it looks like a wash to me

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I should play more of the Atelier games. I've got like... four of them on the Switch.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I should play more of the Atelier games. I've got like... four of them on the Switch.

I've heard they vary GREATLY in quality

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

With as many games as there are, that's not too surprising!

Also, gotta get back to those Hyperdimension Neptunia games on the Vita...

PiptheFair wrote: »

With as many games as there are, that's not too surprising!

Also, gotta get back to those Hyperdimension Neptunia games on the Vita...

let the Nep flow through you

I'm enjoying the first one, despite feeling like I'm hooked into an anime IV

I heard nep is legal in canada now

BahamutZERO.gif
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    While I enjoy FF7, I've always thought it would have been way cooler if they had just massively expanded Midgar and had the entire game set there.

It's a really cool urban setting and I think you could do a lot with that in a game about how society is built off technology that is literally killing the planet. There's plenty of ways to make a bunch of diverse environments that keep the background from getting stale, but still come together to make one large megacity.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    Is the fire emblem dlc worth it? I'm annoyed you can't buy it piecemeal but I got a nintendo gift card and am considering just putting that towards the bundle.

I also don't like that the online options are almost entirely asymmetric multiplayer... but you still can't do them if you don't have nintendo online.

Which fire emblem?
    Yes and no some of it is worth it but it's for the most part maps. I don't know about the newest one

The newest one.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying the first one, despite feeling like I'm hooked into an anime IV

Good news in that the first game is the worst of them (though all the Remakes are kinds same-y). But for reals, VII was a huge step up for the series.

Their Non-Nep games are still better gameplay and story wise though.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That video got me straight turgid

there's a few tiny little changes I wish they hadn't made to the intro, like having the logo fall onto the screen instead of appearing in the glare of a searchlight passing over the camera, but those are just minor nostalgia gripes and it's overall very good

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Clemps made a video about Atelia Ryza that made me want to play it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvdmIGc__2k

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I really like the aesthetic decision to make it very distinctive when something is mako powered, like the grate and train. You can see the veins of glowy blue/green livestream stuff all around.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I wish FFXI would get the remake treatment. And I don't meant another MMO. Like, remake the game as a singleplayer actiony-rpg game that has a ton of quests and replayability with all the classes and the multi-job system.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Boy I forgot how horrible the Water Shrine in Tales of Zestiria was.

I know Water Shrines/Temples are always bad but this one takes the cake.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I started playing Final Fantasy 15 and I noticed I started with some weapons in my inventory that are stronger than what I've already got equipped. Anyone know what the deal with that is?

It seems like the sort of thing that'd be from DLC, but the only DLC I've got is Episode Ardyn.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    there's a few tiny little changes I wish they hadn't made to the intro, like having the logo fall onto the screen instead of appearing in the glare of a searchlight passing over the camera, but those are just minor nostalgia gripes and it's overall very good

I really liked the falling logo

my only gripe is jessie's stupid fucking breastplate

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    The more I see 7RE looking like it might be good the more sad I get honestly. Really worried they take the wrong lessons from this.

In other news what jurps next yearoops this year.. are you all most looking forward to?

My list of things I am looking forward to in order of excitement:

Yakuza 7(so bonkers looking)

Tales of Arise(please be as fun as you look)

P5 Scramble (came out of nowhere for me, looks legit cool)

Ys IX (more Ys always good)

Trials of Mana (don't really know too much but it looks fun enough to grab)

Overall that's a pretty good number compared to usual years.

Extra awesome because there are so many non-jurps looking good next year too.

DemonStacey on
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    I am really hoping Trails of Cold Steel 4 comes out this year. Its my most anticipated game right now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Trails... man who made these weird VA decisions in CS3?

Why are there conversations that are only partially voice acted?

It sounds so weird.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    That's probably how it is in the Japan release. For CS 1/2, the localizer (XSEED) voiced a large quantity of lines that were unvoiced in the Japan release. Things like the bonfire conversation in CS1 between Rean and your selection had Rean unvoiced, but the partner voiced.

Edit: This XSEED blog mentions that CS2 had 5000 extra English voice lines and a question in this blog describes where those lines came from.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Trails... man who made these weird VA decisions in CS3?

Why are there conversations that are only partially voice acted?

It sounds so weird.

Well, the scripts for each game are enormous and the budget significantly less so. So while it can feel odd that they do this thing where a conversation starts with full VA and then transitions to just text, or more often no VA for Rean, it feels very structured in terms of how they decided what to voice (at least in terms of the Japanese performance).

If it was budget it just seems like a better use of that budget would be to just have fewer fully voiced scenes.

It's not even like it's just Rean not talking, he will be responded to VA in text and then randomly out of nowhere have a voiced line. Just like.. how is that the best way to do it?

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Oh hey, this thread is back! I've been playing through Lost Odyssey for a while now based on some people talking about it in an older one of these threads, and it's a really bizarre game. The story is weird in how blase people are about having immortals walking around among them and seeming to not question it, the different tonal shifts it goes through (like the funeral, which takes just about a full real life hour). I feel like I should like the gameplay more than I do for being turn based and strategic, but it's really unsatisfying. Magic feels really weak a lot of the time, especially with the variable timing and no clear turn order displayed. It feels like the best abilities in the game are the ones that activate on defending. The hardest boss is the very first one you find, but the later ones are really interesting, some of the best designed boss fights I've seen. But then the best thing about the game are these short stories you read while your guy is asleep. I've never played anything quite like it.

sig.gif
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The short stories in Lost Odyssey are some of the best writing I've seen in video games. I legit teared up at more than a few of them.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    If it was budget it just seems like a better use of that budget would be to just have fewer fully voiced scenes.

It's not even like it's just Rean not talking, he will be responded to VA in text and then randomly out of nowhere have a voiced line. Just like.. how is that the best way to do it?

It's never felt random to me. At its most minimal, they'll voice the statements within a dialogue that are most significant to the plot or reflect some substantial shift in character development; Rean seemingly gets the the least amount of voicing because he is — for better or worse — the player stand-in, so they abide by old school JRPG philosophy and let you operate under the belief that Rean is speaking as you. Beyond that, you'll get other little "ad libs" that can either function as providing the player with a bit of VA that "reminds" you what a given character sounds like, or they'll be the sort of dialogic mundanity that can be recorded easily and with mild-to-great variation, providing a similar sort of character texture akin to everyone's favorite "fuck" or "hmmm" out of Geralt's mouth.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I think Lost Odyssey is probably the most recent traditional JRPG I enjoyed, but that was in large part because of the short stories and the central plot conceit, and not really because of the mechanics, which I thought were mostly pretty uninteresting

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Oh, and also the comic relief guy in Lost Odyssey (Janson?) is way more funny to me than he has any right to be, the voice actor does a great job. He more than anything else is probably why I'm still playing the game.

sig.gif
    yes Janson was actually funny

This discussion has been closed.