As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CATS] the meowgical meowvie event of the meowllennium

124»

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    That Meow movie in Moviebob's review looks interesting

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    CATS was watched. Dark Side Sangria (TM) was drunk. Sparkly cat ears were worn.

tlamm3n1mka6.jpeg

I...hmm. I didn't hate it or think it was so-bad-it's-good. I didn't love it, either.

I think there is maybe a CATS movie I could've loved. I'm down with T.S. Eliot's sonorous nonsense-words, and Andrew Lloyd Webber's catchy music, and dancing cat-people, and whimsical over-sized sets, and mystical reveries about secret cat-names delivered in hushed tones.

But I am less down with jokes about how gross fat people are (dear lord I would've cut the entire Rebel Wilson musical number.) And I think this VOX piece does a good job elucidating some other problems that I couldn't quite put my finger on:
    This is how Cats, the movie, opens — with a cat in a bag being physically abused in time to this music. What about this music screams “throw a cat down a bunch of steps at the climax,” Tom Hooper? Who hurt you?! A dramatic moment like this could have been an effective way to open the film, but instead it has a fundamentally discordant effect. Which emotion are we supposed to be experiencing? The one connected to what we’re seeing — a pet being brutally abandoned — or the one connected to what we’re hearing, which is a jaunty musical theme meant to convey the essence of a cat’s mystery and inscrutability?

And perhaps this goes without saying, but I think people in costumes obviously would've looked better than these CG people

qICnAig.jpg?1

...although, OK, Magical Mister Mistoffelees is a *little* cute

wandering on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Fuck it,"Cats!" Is gonna reign in a live action,"ThunderCats!" Movie.

Make it Practical effects. I want to see, Mum-Ra , in all his glory!