As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Yeah, I guess that might help. Harder is fine, and I don’t mind using a guide. I’m a beginner to the SaGa games but obviously not JRGPs in general.

Honestly my first dive in to Saga games was with Romancing Saga 2 on the Switch. It isn't easy and a lot of the mechanics aren't explained to you. But there are guides out there that help explain everything you need to know.

Romancing Saga 3 is way easier and more open than 2 in my opinion. But I'd say that 2's mechanic of choosing an heir when you die or restart is a lot more fun.

I'd say that you should look up a guide for 2 and take a look at the mechanics of the game. If it sounds up your alley then dive in.

Quick list of what I can think of off the top of my head:

The more fights you do the higher the enemy level, the higher the enemy level the chance of running into hard fights is higher.

You can flee from almost every fight but I believe it counts as a fight, so enemy level will still raise. Fleeing is important because maybe there are 3 dragons and you can't kill 2. Each time you run back into the fight it's random on the spawns.

The higher the enemy level the more likely you are to gain spark (or waza, which I think they call it). Sparks gain skills for whatever weapon you are using. Weapon skills are crucial to killing things.

When you reach a point where you just cannot win fights then you can start a new game+, your weapon skills, SP, and MP transfer over to the new game. This makes it much easier to make progress and generally you will reach where you died quickly.

If you unlock classes then they may show up when you are choosing an heir.

Use a guide if you get stuck. The game is very open and doesn't hand hold you, haha. I fought it for a long time but found the game to be way more enjoyable when I hit it up as soon as I get lost instead of running around for hours.

I'm sure you can read more about the mechanics in the game from other sources. These games are my jam though... Coincidentally I am at the end of Romancing Saga 3 but might have to restart. Final Boss is murdering me hard and I can't leave the area.

urahonky on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Romancing 2 sounds pretty great based on your description, and it’s on sale to boot. You’ve got yerself a sale, amigo!

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, I'm playing Luigi's Mansion 3 and really digging it. But I realized something. Look back at the Castlevania Smash Bros. reveal.

https://youtu.be/3VrbkoWUyIg

Not only did this video show Luigi's plunger ability (never seen before LM 3), but the version of the Poltergust he's wearing has the Gooigi tank. Which is odd, because it would be so easy to use an earlier version of the Poultergust.

Gooigi for the new Luigi's Mansion wasn't revealed until this June, 2019. The Smash Bros. Castlevania video came out in August 2018... and given the high quality of the animation, that video was surely developed at least a few months before that, if not more.

Which means the Smash team reached out to Next Level at least a year and a half before the next Luigi's Mansion game's release in order to make Luigi's depiction (in another character's reveal!) as accurate as possible. Even though they didn't reveal Gooigi (the purpose of the new Poultergust) for another year.

Holy shit.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Just completed Blaster Master Zero 2. Pretty good game. If you like the previous Blaster Master games, give this one a go, it's a fun NES-style romp. I did feel that getting the true ending wasn't that fun and dragged on, but the game was great before that. Will take you about 10-15 hours if you go for all the items etc.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Finally bought Blasphemous as a sort of birthday present to myself. Way more depth to it than I thought with all the items and spells and whatnot. I love the art style too, reminds me of games like Altered Beast.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've been playing blasphemous on pc

is there any fast travel? or am I to pay the sins of the world by having to backtrack 5,000,000 times?

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I've been playing blasphemous on pc

is there any fast travel? or am I to pay the sins of the world by having to backtrack 5,000,000 times?

There is fast travel but it is extremely few and far between. One of my major issues with that game.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I stopped playing Blasphemous because it made me feel like an idiot. It's...kinda hard.

I'll go back to it eventually because I really liked what I played.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Well, I just spent six bucks on an Arwing model, a Fox figurine, and a display stand. I think there might also be a game attached?

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Well, I just spent six bucks on an Arwing model, a Fox figurine, and a display stand. I think there might also be a game attached?

I’m pretty sure the Starlink toys come with a free coaster.
    Yeah yeah, I know the Switch version isn’t on a disc.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    Okay, Starlink is really dedicated to the toys to life thing. I just attached a wing to another wing, and the game accepted it.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Okay, Starlink is really dedicated to the toys to life thing. I just attached a wing to another wing, and the game accepted it.

Wait... does the game actually show that configuration?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

Indeed it does.

All of the weapon and wing attachment points have the same shape and can be fitted on backwards, meaning that you can create all kinds of lopsided monstrosities. In addition to stacking wings, you can do things like fitting weapons backwards and attaching them directly to the sides without bothering with wings at all.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Polaritie wrote: »

Indeed it does.

All of the weapon and wing attachment points have the same shape and can be fitted on backwards, meaning that you can create all kinds of lopsided monstrosities. In addition to stacking wings, you can do things like fitting weapons backwards and attaching them directly to the sides without bothering with wings at all.

Yeah, it was a cool mechanic. Made for some fun combinations.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Well... Ring fit adventure d1 actually just put me on the floor in our bathroom for the wonderful cold tiles.

That uh, was humbling.

my partner who hasn't been active the last few years except a serving job but prior to spent years doing yoga and belly dance and hiking cruised through the whole first world.

I had to exit the game halfway through stage 2. I've learned that me lifting doesn't actually mean anything for endurance exercise.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    What difficulty level are you set to? There's a number value that you can check in one of the menus.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Is there any way to make the many, many squats of quiet mode easier on the knees? I don't know if my form is bad or what but it's hard to do it two days in a row because my the first few squats on the second day sting a bit.

Edit: I suppose I should mention I don't historically have any knee issues, I've always been at or even below average weight. Just... incredibly sedentary.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I haven't tried it, but there are various assist modes in the options, and turning knee assist on apparently just makes you auto run. I think it'll also just turn off every single exercise involving knees too, which is a bummer if you have no problem doing knee lifts but not squats.

Also once you get a feel for the system, it's not too hard to know what motions the joycons want. You can just wiggle your leg to make you run and do any other exercise. It's one of those situations where you're only cheating yourself, but you also gotta do what you gotta do. Halfway through trying to do Mountain Climber and I just went... nope! We're just shaking the joycon for this one before deleting it from the menu bar.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    If a muscle hurts, take a day off.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Well... Ring fit adventure d1 actually just put me on the floor in our bathroom for the wonderful cold tiles.

That uh, was humbling.

my partner who hasn't been active the last few years except a serving job but prior to spent years doing yoga and belly dance and hiking cruised through the whole first world.

I had to exit the game halfway through stage 2. I've learned that me lifting doesn't actually mean anything for endurance exercise.

Heavy lifting and hours on a bike with a Switch in hand give a false sense of fitness. I haven't had the chance to play ring fit yet, but I know I've been similarly humbled by what should be easy aerobic exercise in the past.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I figured I'd try out Ring Fit last night, just a quick little foray into it to see what it was like.

I finished the first map just short by 6xp to level up, which is unconscionable to me, so I went on to the second one.

I finished the second one and saw a boss on the third? A natural conclusion state, so I may as well have gone in.

I finished the boss and was done, just done. Sweating, exhausted, wow I don't exercise a lot and this did me in.

Then, in the shower, I grew to regret the McDonald's I'd eaten a few short hours ago. I spent the rest of the night certain I was gonna barf, but never actually doing so.

Feel a lot better today, but ho boy was last night rough.

Good game.

It sounds like we're all great

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Having the same experience with ring fit as you guys. It’s kicking my ass, but the game part is great at pushing me further than I’d ever push myself just exercising. I have back issues and curl ups have always been too painful for me, so this is the first time I’ve gotten a good abs workout without intense back pain.

This is also the first time in my life that I’m looking forward to exercising again and am kinda bummed that I’ve been too busy and out of town for the past few days to get a workout in.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Went ahead and gave it a shot based on what you guys are saying... It really is that good. I've been slacking on my exercise the past few months because the plague went around the house (ran a half marathon in September, a 5K in October and 8K on Thanksgiving) and this really kicked my butt.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the Ring Fit but for the pain it caused my knees. Ended up trading it in. Luckily I walk to and from work so I still get lots of exercise.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Ring Fit Adventure had been intriguing me for a while since it's actually a game that looks fun to play. I set it to the highest setting and it's a decent workout so far. Just to fight the very first enemy, you need to do 30 body weight squats, which is a fair amount (usually I do sets of 10-15 reps) at a minimum (killed it with knee presses afterwards). There is a ton of set up and I had trouble figuring out how to get it to skip setting up the joycons after completing it. It kept looping back to the tutorial again. It's also pretty cool that it emphasizes stretching, which a lot of people dont do at all (in general). So far, so good.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    yeah in our apartment we decided to go with silent mode and you basically do turbo fire half squats to move forward and it turns out doing that for 10 minutes adds up

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Heads up guys, Limited Run is having a warehouse blowout sale tomorrow at 10AMEST and they are going to have a bunch of discontinued Switch games in stock. Including a "blind bag" Switch game for $29.99.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    hey, in Starlink at the post end game:
    Does it ever stop spawning the boss things? I'd like to actually build up a planet, but I'm am for ever falling behind farther and farther because I have to keep taking out the big bugs and dreadnought ships.

Kinda soured me on it. Trying to decide if I should buy the digital stuff on sale.

akirasig.jpg
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Ring Fit showed up today, told the wife it was something we could try tomorrow. Reading the posts just on this page suggests it could be pretty funny, also terrible in a barfing sorta way.

Heads up guys, Limited Run is having a warehouse blowout sale tomorrow at 10AMEST and they are going to have a bunch of discontinued Switch games in stock. Including a "blind bag" Switch game for $29.99.

it was 3 games, 2 of which are already gone

I really dislike LRG. their social media is on point, but their product and production are so far below par they should seriously think about just taking preorders and sending the requests off to some other company

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Metro Redux, a bundle of Metro 2033 and Metro: Last LIght, seems to be coming to Switch. At least according to some rumors/leaks.

https://nintendoeverything.com/metro-redux-appears-to-be-in-the-works-for-switch-as-new-rating-appears-in-europe/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I’m pretty sure the Starlink toys come with a free coaster.
    Yeah yeah, I know the Switch version isn’t on a disc.

It's a flavor strip.

edited January 2020

I really dislike LRG. their social media is on point, but their product and production are so far below par they should seriously think about just taking preorders and sending the requests off to some other company

It was not 3 games, it was a crapload of games + blind boxes. They just sold out super quick.I had the blind box in my cart but it sold out before I could buy because it couldnt read my address or some crap. But, this sale was for leftover warehouse items, and they made it super clear all over every advertisement they did that there would be very limited quantities of them because of this. I'm pissed because their stupid store wouldnt recognize my very valid address but you've gotta be fair to them as well, they did everything they possibly could to set expectations for this.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Ok Nintendo thread question. Finally beat my first character on Octopath Traveler. For the post game...do I need to level all characters or can I focus on just 4?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg

It was not 3 games, it was a crapload of games + blind boxes. They just sold out super quick.I had the blind box in my cart but it sold out before I could buy because it couldnt read my address or some crap. But, this sale was for leftover warehouse items, and they made it super clear all over every advertisement they did that there would be very limited quantities of them because of this. I'm pissed because their stupid store wouldnt recognize my very valid address but you've gotta be fair to them as well, they did everything they possibly could to set expectations for this.

I feel like if they know they're expected to move a ton of product (and indeed they do know this!) and fail to meet that demand than they need to do better

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I feel like M&J could easily port their "its called Sea of Thieves" jokes to Limited Run Games.

I mean they're cleaning out leftover stock from Limited releases. That's at least double limited.

A "real" corporation would raise the price to meet demand of this kind of thing rather than the supply.

edited January 2020

I feel like if they know they're expected to move a ton of product (and indeed they do know this!) and fail to meet that demand than they need to do better

The sale is specifically to get rid of leftover units because even if they get 9,000 orders Nintendo stipulates they make 10,000. They have to clear this leftover stock out to make room for new stock so they do this sale. In every single place where they advertised it they put a little blurb explaining all this and explaining that many of them had very limited quantities and would sell super fast. I woke up at 9:40CST and almost everything was sold out, but I wasn't mad about that, except at myself. They basically had to get rid of stuff and wanted to do a cool thing with it, and they don't deserve being knocked for it. Many of the blind bag items in the rare category were valued well above the $29.99 price tag. Would you suggest they go back and do a bunch of impossible deals to have a bunch more product for a sale when that invalidates the entire reason for the sales existence in the first place?

Edit: there's legit reasons to get mad at LRG for sure (like their bizzare refund policy for example) but what you're talking about isn't one.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Ok Nintendo thread question. Finally beat my first character on Octopath Traveler. For the post game...do I need to level all characters or can I focus on just 4?

You need to level all eight characters for the post game.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    oh noes well better finish up the main game first.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg