As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem Three Houses] happy goddamn deduesday my dudes

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    This might just be me, but there's something wrong when my first reaction to getting allies is to go "oh fuck".
    Sure, in theory my goal here is to kill the enemies.
    But i also want to do it in specific ways, at specific points of the map, so my team stays alive and i can train specific members of the said team, instead of YOLO'ing into the nearest group like a bowling ball.

Allies are a nightmare in Fire Emblem games, in my experience.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Well, apart from the rng level ups (and lack of defense stat up items afaik), and the allies YOLO'ing into giant monsters (you have 7 health left, don't rush to hit the dragon).
    I love pretty much everything about this game so far (well, the english VA is a bit spotty in couple places, but even that is largely decent).
    I suspect new game+ will be even better when i am no longer trying to do all the things at one go (and almost always end up just taking some students out for lunch).

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    This might just be me, but there's something wrong when my first reaction to getting allies is to go "oh fuck".
    But i also want to do it in specific ways, at specific points of the map, so my team stays alive and i can train specific members of the said team, instead of YOLO'ing into the nearest group like a bowling ball.

The Three Houses allies didn't really bother me. I mean, compared to allies from other Fire Emblems they're downright competent sometimes.

• Options

The Three Houses allies didn't really bother me. I mean, compared to allies from other Fire Emblems they're downright competent sometimes.
    Considering so far the ally AI has done nothing but suicidally charge at the enemy, i have trouble seeing how they could be worse.
    Well, flimsier stats maybe, so far they have been fairly sturdy.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    The only time the allies really bug me is in Felix's paralogue, where keeping them alive is the win condition and yet they are incredibly, fatally, stupid.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    It’s not part of the win condition, but it always gets me how it’s virtually impossible to save everyone in Dedue’s paralogue.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I spent the most retries on Hubert's paralogue, trying to save the stupid dark mages from smashing themselves against the demonic beasts.

Then when I finally managed it, turned out I only needed to save half of them.

:x

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Well, that's something to look forward to. :D

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    It’s not part of the win condition, but it always gets me how it’s virtually impossible to save everyone in Dedue’s paralogue.

I get where you're coming from, but Dedue's paralogue is all about how those troops don't stand a chance and are definitely going to get slaughtered, so actually being able to save everyone is kind of counter to the story it's trying to tell.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    The only time the allies really bug me is in Felix's paralogue, where keeping them alive is the win condition and yet they are incredibly, fatally, stupid.

And the reward for this is the second best item in the game, but you only get it if you keep all of the fuckwits alive.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Villagers will try to flee and soldiers will attack

You typically don’t need to save all soldiers, just all villagers

I like the RP and strategy involved, although by my 3rd play through I had enough renown to make all physical units Wyvern Riders/Lords, with a few with +movement ability, which makes saving even the farthest villagers only a 2-turn effort...

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    My first time through the Felix paralogue I just played it out for a while to see if there was any unique dialogue, then reset and killed the boss in one turn with warp shenanigans.

Fuck that map btw.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    On my fifth play through now and everyone is a magic horse unit, white or black. It’s like a chess board but the only pieces are Knights...

I didn’t realize how big the speed diff is between flyers and horse units- its a good thing Syl is a good dodge tank as a magic class with Lifetaker and Bern gets even more powerful under 100% HP...those 2 year everything up

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019

post time skip golden deer spoilers, FYI

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

post time skip golden deer spoilers, FYI

That’s super cool! I know a BL one was done, have they done a Crimson Flower one too?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    On my fifth play through now and everyone is a magic horse unit, white or black. It’s like a chess board but the only pieces are Knights...

I didn’t realize how big the speed diff is between flyers and horse units- its a good thing Syl is a good dodge tank as a magic class with Lifetaker and Bern gets even more powerful under 100% HP...those 2 year everything up

Yeah, it's just a map by map thing - flyers win on some maps, horses on others. Assassins are about on par with horses though because they laugh at terrain.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    That needs significantly more Kill-da

• Options
    Wait, i can assign someone as an adjutant and they will gain class xp?
    Damn, mastering classes just became a zero effort endeavour.
    Blythe has like double the levels of the average enemy, she can just stand there and take zero damage as 5 enemies keep trying to hit her.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    7fa0489b1f32f59e3509a7c63d0a494586bc61ad.jpg

a25aa19673669cc51f32bd4a048936adfcbcc03a.jpg

80ceadcf4093892f520df578d6d8e4160d502bef.jpg
    Jeralt forgot to teach him, okay

By Sunzips!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Finally finished my Azure Moon Madness run. Those last 2 levels proved to be a bit trickier than I expected. In large part because I opted not to bother min maxing to the extreme after all the early success. If I had been going all out and everyone had Quick Riposte rather than just a couple of units it would have been a very different couple of fights. Especially since one of them was super slow but extremely high HPs making it hilarious to see the enemies break over him only to have an adjutant heal him up a bunch every time.

I will say it has reinforced how variable units can be. Petra was still Petra of course, but the rest got interesting. Felix hit a couple of down periods before his crit level reached an average of 80% at which point he soared. Dmitri fell off around the mid-game but then also learned he can get strength ups and found his was on to the team. Hilda just stagnated though, and was not terribly useful towards the end. She was almost disposable if I am being honest. Good for a kill with proper support but otherwise just there.

Overall my favorite run is still Crimson Flower. Best characters both in personality, and raw power. I look forward to another run through it after the next DLC drop. I will probably do Madness again because that extra unit they added sounds bonkers good. I have 170 hour in but the ending of Azure Moon just doesn't quite sit well with me. Gotta do at least one more run through to end the story the way that feels the most satisfying to me.

• Options

Of course it’s Raph in the screen cap :biggrin:

• Options
    In an odd coincidence.
    I have now recruited every student possible except for Raph.
    I think i'm gonna do just fine in the tournament thingy (chapter 7).

Are paralogues just time locked or do i need to get high enough support level to get them?

• Options
    Are paralogues just time locked or do i need to get high enough support level to get them?

Just time-locked, I'm pretty sure.

And you don't need to have the relevant characters before a certain date or anything. So long as you're in the right Part, their Paralogue will show up even if you recruited them months after their Paralogue first shows up.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

And you don't need to have the relevant characters before a certain date or anything. So long as you're in the right Part, their Paralogue will show up even if you recruited them months after their Paralogue first shows up.

There are definitely some paralogues that require a certain support level. Whether that support is with Byleth or the two involved characters, I'm not 100% sure, but on my BL run I never got Annette's paralogue.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I didn't realise that there had been some data-mining that might have revealed a bit about the new classes that will be in the next DLC:
    Looks like there will be four of them, all Advanced. (Names are based on previous games, might be different.)

Trickster - Infantry, can use Magic, Exam is B in Swords and Faith, has Locktouch.
    War Monk - Infantry, can use Magic, Exam is B+ in Brawling and C+ in Faith.
    Dark Flier - Flying, can use Magic, Exam is B+ in Reason and C in Flying, Female only.
    Valkyrie - Mounted, can use Magic, Exam is B in Reason and Riding, gets Range +1 for Black and Dark Magic.

It seems there are four new playable characters who are canon to these classes: Yuri, Balthus, Constance, and Hapi. (Names again might be different.) Also, Anna apparently will maintain her canon appearance as a Trickster.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

There are definitely some paralogues that require a certain support level. Whether that support is with Byleth or the two involved characters, I'm not 100% sure, but on my BL run I never got Annette's paralogue.

Anette's and Rhea's are the exceptions i believe.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I picked this game up after a 7ish year gap in playing game that ended this year and also I haven't played a FE since the first one they brought to America on the GBA.

Man, I kinda feel massively disappointed? I'm only in the second real mission and I'm starting to get used to everything but honestly if I new they had changed it from a more or less linear story linked together by battle after battle I might have changed my mind about the purchase. I guess I'm supposed to be caring about getting these characters close to each other? Its early but so far I'm not seeing a character pay-off and more or less the whole class seems like barely dimensional blobs of stats without much stat differentiation. Hopefully that will change! Don't like that they are all generic dudes who I can choose how they specialize in honestly. That isn't really what I'm about. I was expecting the classic set of pre-built chars and I'm struggling to figure out if there is any reason not to just push them onto the path they naturally want to go down.

Sorry about the complaining. This just wasn't what I was expecting and I really needed a place express my confusion.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    You're still really early in the game, if you're only on the second mission. Like, it's still kind of teaching you what the game is even doing at that point. I'd say keep at it, the best thing this game really does is get you to really care about the characters, and invest in them.

• Options
    Man, the game really starts dropping paralogues at you after chapter 6.
    I went from 2, to 4, to 7 paralogues in couple chapters.
    Really not sure if i should try to push for rank A professorship (at B+ i think, with 6k xp needed and only 1 week of chapter 7 left) or just do all the paralogues.

• Options
    Just count the number of battles you can do between where you’re at and when the paralogues go away so you don’t miss out

• Options
    Also I just noticed that since I got this game my activity trends via my Apple Watch are through the floor...gonna have to start playing while in the treadmill!!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Yeah, the game is far from perfect but I do think it has a good array of fascinating characters, with a better overall cast than the DS games. There are definitely classes that best suit each character, too.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I picked this game up after a 7ish year gap in playing game that ended this year and also I haven't played a FE since the first one they brought to America on the GBA.

Man, I kinda feel massively disappointed? I'm only in the second real mission and I'm starting to get used to everything but honestly if I new they had changed it from a more or less linear story linked together by battle after battle I might have changed my mind about the purchase. I guess I'm supposed to be caring about getting these characters close to each other? Its early but so far I'm not seeing a character pay-off and more or less the whole class seems like barely dimensional blobs of stats without much stat differentiation. Hopefully that will change! Don't like that they are all generic dudes who I can choose how they specialize in honestly. That isn't really what I'm about. I was expecting the classic set of pre-built chars and I'm struggling to figure out if there is any reason not to just push them onto the path they naturally want to go down.

Sorry about the complaining. This just wasn't what I was expecting and I really needed a place express my confusion.

If it helps, the characters aren’t really as much of a generic blank slate mechanically as you’re worrying. They all have strengths and weaknesses in skill learning rates and stat growths, and it is pretty clear where they try to guide you to train most of them. Generally a really useful skill is behind their hidden talent, and you just choose if you want to keep them on their normal strengths, focus on the hidden talent, or a mix of the two.

A lot of the flexibility is for future playthroughs honestly.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    One thing to keep in mind about the skill ratings is that once you hit... ehhh, something like the B rank or so, your ability to hit the next rank falls off a cliff. You absolutely will not hit S or S+ with a character without either continuously training them in that skill and keeping them parked in classes that provide skill bonuses to that class, or using every single free period doing battles, which will make you hate the game. Also, unlike Awakening and Fates, class skills aren't stupidly powerful on average*, so it's less imperative that you make every character visit every class they have available to fill out their skill-sets. The urge to micro-manage them and create some kind of weird hybrid class with no weaknesses is strong, but really, you'll easily get by just pointing them at whatever skills they have a bonus to, maybe sprinkling Riding or Flying around to taste, and promoting to whatever classes unlock with that.

* Yes, yes, there are exceptions.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    13816e71ef3bb495a259b05c49727a5569e5d52e.gifv

By poupon!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Ch 12 spoilers (seriously, don't click if you're not past there)
    Cosplay?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Back to playing fire emblem after a short break, reached chapter 10 now.
    Well, reached chapter 10 again, had to go to an earlier save because i missed a time locked support link.
    Spoilers for chapter 9-10:
    The, grieving, is kinda done weirdly.
    On one hand, everyone is acting like Byleth has somehow broken down and in desperate need of building back together, but on the other hand, IT'S BEEN 3 DAYS, and she's acting basicly the same way she has since chapter 1, silent and stoic.
    Even if she was visibly grieving, it would be perfectly reasonable, like, again, 3 days (or so), it would be perfectly reasonable to take a month of from work.

Also, kinda annoyed how the death scene was done, like, why are you not even slightly suspicious of this weird student?
    My first reaction when hearing the group of students went into chappel and then monsters came out was not "are students ok" but "the students did it".
    But i guess that might be me having played a videogame before, so certain level of cynicism gap between me and the people in game is quite understandable.

Also, why do i need to accept death as fate just because i could not prevent it?
    Like, as a shitty thing that happened, sure, but fate?
    That's a bit overplaying it i think.

And then it's time to stop grieving so i can go back to wooing my students over tea and dinner.
    Like, i get that it's not intended as such, in character, but considering how deliberate the support link building actions are out of character, this makes me bit uncomfortable on occasion.
    The events here are kinda clumsily done i think.
    Not because of bad writing, or even bad pacing necessarily (though i think there is a hint of that), but by how they interact with the regular game mechanics, and how narrow the window is through which we look at the characters, including Blythe.

• Options
    That being said they put in a nice touch with Byleth’s pose at the “off-day activity selection” menu