As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stationeries, Art supplies(?) and Calligraphy(?)

PeasPeas Registered User regular
edited April 2021 in Social Entropy++
New(?) thread concept for the new decade:
3qzklx1o4w1p.jpg
o68s4jqko4ww.jpg
0jd1yeeolff3.jpg

Post your stationaries or talk about your favourite ones. This is just proof of concept, if it somehow takes off someone should make a better version

Edit: If you want, post your writings and stuff too
Edit: If you want to talk about art supplies, go ahead

Peas on

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Do you want a nice pen?

Do you not want the hassle of dicking about with a fountain pen, and have a very limited budget?

The Parker Jotter is your friend. It's a nice enough pen that it may well be the only "nice" pen you ever buy, or it may start you down the dark path of collecting ever more fancy and expensive writing implements.

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Right, 2019 was the year i dived in to the deep end of stationary. Started bullet journaling and picked up a few fountain pens.

Paper:
    -leuchtturm A5, dotted paper, used as my bullet journal.
    -leuchtturm A6 jotbook, used as an extra-write-whatever easily accessible in my pocket

gdzebt9adhtc.jpg

Pens:
    -pilot preppy fountain pen, cheap and easy first pen
    -TWSBI go, reasonably cheap and easy to refill fountain pen
    -lamy 2000, my first "nice" fountain pen, writes as a dream.
    -Fischer bullet space pen, goes with the jotbook in my pocket for quick notes.

1g9baobmbb2g.jpg

vuld8e98z8kd.jpg

l59yo3xcnfl3.jpg

3siyxnz0aw80.jpg

Morran on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Yessss a stationery thread

(Please do not judge my handwriting I know it’s not consistent)

Anyway I love stationery, I fucked up my writing hand a few years ago that causes it to go numb after writing more than a few lines, but I still enjoy collecting stationery. And I received more for Christmas from Moriveth!

He bought me a glass dip pen and inks from Jacques Herbin. I also bought myself a TWSBI Eco fountain pen that, like the Go up there, is self-filling.
    2019-12-12%2016.53.52.jpg
    2019-12-12%2016.54.12.jpg
    2019-12-12%2016.58.40.jpg

It’s subtle but the Herbin 1798 inks have a metallic sheen to them. It looks great when used with a wide nib or brush pen.

I also have a set of metallic inks for writing on black or dark paper. I used the glass dip pen to show these off:
    2019-12-16%2017.52.15.jpg

The colours there include silver, gold, copper and white (which can look similar to silver). There’s also an iron ink that doesn’t show up well on black, I would use that on white paper.

I also have an angled dip pen for calligraphy (which I am very bad at! I have some super cool books though) with plenty of replacement nibs from Nikko and Joseph Gillott.
    2020-01-01%2010.18.52.jpg

Also the paper is Tomoe River paper, very thin but doesn’t allow for bleed through.

Lastly, Uniball Signo pens are my rollerball jam; the white one here is a Signo, I also use black ones at work. Personally I find them a fraction smoother than Pilot or other rollerball pens.

And I have some Sakura Gelly Roll pens although some of the colours dried out. :(
    2020-01-01%2010.35.24.jpg

Janson on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I feel I must speak the truth, and with no malice aforethought state that you are absolutely and utterly wrong - your handwriting is legitimately fantastic.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I love this stuff, but I am left handed, and all pens are my enemy.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I've never been able to write by hand without it hurting

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Pens might be your enemy, but they might not need to be just due to your main hand!

https://www.nibs.com/content/left-handed-writers

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »

Pens might be your enemy, but they might not need to be just due to your main hand!

https://www.nibs.com/content/left-handed-writers

I was going to suggest picking up one of these handy languages https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-to-left - no more ink smudges on your hand!

• Options

Anya empathizes with you! Smudging everywhere!

Left-handers also have an advantage when it comes to certain scripts - for example as a righty I have to use that crooked-shape dip pen for copperplate in order to have the strokes at the correct angle, whereas a lefty could use any kind of pen!

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I use a pilot vanishing point, first with sailor Kiwa-guro black and now with platinum carbon. It's a $140 pen, but I need something I can use with one hand and not have it dry out while I'm thinking. This and the decimo are the only pens that fit the bill. I rolled with a lamy till I lost the cap and basically had to buy a new pen.

For fun, I use a lamy safari with a lamy joy italic nib and J herbin emerald of Chivor that has a gold shimmer and red sheen on high quality paper. Calligraphy I'm still working on, but I'm practicing with a brause 361 pumpkin with sumi on HP laser for spencerian.

I also have 11-12 other pens I don't know what to do with

I'm underwhelmed by rhodia; it's serviceable but doesn't really bring out the chromatographic inks. I love their dot pattern though and have a 2 sided pdf template for 20lb notetaking

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Also I am on a journey of ultimate buttery smoothness, which is why I went into fountain pens in the first place. It's time for me to admit that in a post-binderization world, fountain pens may no longer reign supreme against their gel brethren. I'm a fan of the aluminum barrel energels, but I realize they're not the most reliable. Somehow I like them more than G2. I was going to resign myself to Uniball Jetstream or signo 307, but strangely a gift pen with schmidt ceramic 888 was smooth in an unreal way, despite rollerballs and especially ceramic rollerballs being off my radar. Schmidt easy flow 9000 was a big disappointment, so I'm thinking maybe 888 is my EDC, but I don't have a retractable barrel for it.

Anybody wanna fight for something smoother or suggest a barrel for the 888?

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    What rollerball cartridge does the 888 use? I'm no expert, but from what little I do know it seems that the cartridge makes more of a difference to rollerball smoothness than anything else besides pen body weight.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    What rollerball cartridge does the 888 use? I'm no expert, but from what little I do know it seems that the cartridge makes more of a difference to rollerball smoothness than anything else besides pen body weight.

The Schmidt 888 is the refill, but it comes in a cap pen.

Uriel, one of the other reasons to choose fountain or other smooth pens is to unlearn the crushing pressure ball points teach you. Cursive actually makes sense with a fountain pen, though you can no longer use carbon paper forms or checks. Less force = less pain.

Janson, how do you de-oil new nibs? Nikko G is super scratchy for me, and I'm wondering if it's rusted or the potato didn't do anything or I wore it out super fast or I've been aping line variation like a goon.

Paladin on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I'm going to do a bullet journal this year:

2L5r1Kg.jpg8LeIu6C.jpg

I'm not going full Instagram on this thing, but I did buy a few nice micron pens and some washi tape.

• Options
    Do you take notes in your bullet journal? I always felt that was useful but breaks the task based format

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Depends on what you mean by taking notes. If there's something I want to remember for later, I will jot it down among my daily tasks. If I have an idea that needs it's own page, I will give it a page and write the page number down in my index.

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    Janson, how do you de-oil new nibs? Nikko G is super scratchy for me, and I'm wondering if it's rusted or the potato didn't do anything or I wore it out super fast or I've been aping line variation like a goon.

I didn’t realize you had to! I am just now reading up on it. It might explain some of my issues.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I love fountain pens! I only own a few, and I only regularly use one (for filling out forms at work), but I still like em anyways.

Now if only my handwriting wasn't absolute shit lol

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have the handwriting of a drunk toddler so I will never disrespect good stationary with my hands.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    These are the stationery items I received this holiday season.

A Relefree Survival Tactical Pen Portable Writing Emergency Glass Breaker Self Defense Multi-functional
    6fmkui3uezaf.jpg
    (My brother and his wife got me this as well as some books on trapping and mountain men because I think they are preparing me for the apocalypse)

Art Paper Roll by Hape 38cm x 20m
    clkdpyaynhyw.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Surely making glass would be more useful than breaking glass in this future backwoods survival scenario

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    If I am living in the backwoods and am attacked by a Glassquatch I will have the appropriate weapon.

• Options
    Maybe if I ever get good at writing I’ll invest in a fancy pen

• Options
    I wish there was a gel/rollerball with the same form factor as a ballpoint refill to have more options with those pens

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    I wish there was a gel/rollerball with the same form factor as a ballpoint refill to have more options with those pens

Parker make rollerball refills in the exact same form factor as their ballpoint refills.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I don't really pay much attention to my choice of pen or pencil beyond "it doesn't drive me crazy" and preferring old school wood pencils that need sharpening over mechanical pencils.

But.

I.

Love.

Stationary.

Which I blame firmly on my time in Korea, because boy do they really go ALL IN on stationary accessorizing in Korea and Japan

The planner I've been using for three years running is by a company from Seoul called MMMG (millimeter milligram):

VW86o9zh.jpg

You write in your own dates and months, which is extra work for some, but I find it quite enjoyable and it means that you can start your calendar whenever you run out the old one.

The week pages have plenty of space in each day for calendar items and odd notes:

87u9iirh.jpg

It's got a section in the back without lines, for free-drawing and stuff:

NmuBuU8h.jpg

And a lined section when you want to feel even more organized:

9ia1dNph.jpg

And it has pockets in the front and back for storage of important items like this list of recommended restaurants from a bartender in Barcelona, or your ever-increasing sticker collection:

5OEa9MEh.jpg

Forgive the coffee stains, there was a tragic seal incident in my backpack one day.

I also have a sticky note collection that needs replenishing:

2EIA9SAh.jpg

I like to really weird people out when I leave them notes on their devices or desks. Going to have to get some new weird ones from Tokyu Hands or when I'm back in Seoul in May, though.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Yeaaah a lot of my stationery comes from Japan or Korea and it’s all the absolute cutest

I have so many stickers and tapes I’m afraid to use

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Those vegetable post-its are the best. I wish my manager used those instead of the standard yellow post-its.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    get yourself a 60ct box of bic round stick pens that you can just throw out when gross people touch them

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    So I got into doing some journaling (bullet & otherwise) a couple of years ago, and cribbed a lot from some instagram/influencer posts.

So I got myself a leuchtturm, and started doing things. FYI, yes, it's a PIA carrying around multiple colors of pens in order to separate each area of concern (I need to view things at a glance for the context I'm in or I will go squirrel and colors really help keep things organized for me).
    sgbgebngqv93.jpeg

• Options
    My issue is knowing what to write! I have a few old planners and diaries that I‘d use for a week or two then abandoned because I had no idea what to say or list.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Sandra what in the fuck is Parking Pizza?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Parking Pizza is AWESOME

It's literally a pizza and pita place in an old parking garage that they tore the roof off of and redid a new one with skylights and stuff over:

axUbVIGh.jpg

sQDUsAch.jpg

lG0cqtnh.jpg

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Now I want to eat pizza.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I was going to post my favorite pencil from work today but ended up working from home so you get a stock image instead...

s6xdck9uozaw.png

It has some type of infused lead that is super hard to break and every time you pick it up off the paper it rotates the lead slightly to keep it sharp.

I use that and a set of colored Sharpie pens although I've found my latest set of those bleed through the paper more than they used to.

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    My issue is knowing what to write! I have a few old planners and diaries that I‘d use for a week or two then abandoned because I had no idea what to say or list.

@Janson - I get that too.

For stuff that is project based, it's really easy to get stuff to write - especially if I'm working with others on a project. I'll take notes for myself from meetings, document crazy shit my coworkers say, etc.

I try to keep my schedule in the book as well, but this is more time consuming than I'd like given the automated solutions that are more convenient (though if I ever lose power or decide to go back off grid, it will be worth it).

At some point I have an idea of actually documenting my full day in the journal and having a reserved location for highlights/lowlights, etc, but this too will require me to be more disciplined to establish the habit and make time during the end of the day when I'm most tired (so up hill challenge!)

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I am very glad I asked about parking pizza.

• Options
    Ooh look what just shipped to me (I got the mega package containing everything on this page)

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What is a good fountain pen and fountain pen alternative for when I'm out and about?

Because I'm trying to start a bullet journal.

Also I gotta try to figure out how bullet journals work...

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    What is a good fountain pen and fountain pen alternative for when I'm out and about?

Because I'm trying to start a bullet journal.

Also I gotta try to figure out how bullet journals work...

I’m no expert but jetpens.com has a ton of reviews, best of lists as well as sampler packs that are really fun!