As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

19495969798100»

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Question from a new Switch Lite owner: what are some good games for the SL that don't make you feel like you'd be better off playing them on a TV screen via a regular Switch? I already got Pokemon Sword so that's out of the equation.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Question from a new Switch Lite owner: what are some good games for the SL that don't make you feel like you'd be better off playing them on a TV screen via a regular Switch? I already got Pokemon Sword so that's out of the equation.

I play nearly all my games handheld, so everything!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I think that's going to be mostly personal preference. I'm the opposite of Kime; I'll play exclusively docked if I can.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

Katana Zero
    Black Future '88
    Blasphemous
    Curse of the Obra Dinn.

In related news, I think I'm finally done with the big huge holiday eshop sale going on right now. Here is my total haul, counting everything from black friday to the sale now:

Killer Queen Black
    Katana Zero
    Black Future '88
    Dragonball Fighterz
    Katamari Reroll
    Blasphemous
    Turok
    Another World
    Blazing Chrome
    Curse of the Obra Dinn
    Into the Breach
    Final Fantasy 7
    Hotline Miami Collection
    Star Wars Pinball

2 of those were completely free thanks to gold coins (Killer Queen Black and Blazing Chrome). In the latters case it was purchased entirely with gold coins earned during the sale.

Also yes I'm aware some of those weren't on sale, like Obra Dinn, but whatever I counted it anyway.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Garbage eyesight pushes me onto the TV for quite a few games, and that's with the larger OG screen. So it comes down more to how sensitive your prescription is.

A ton of devs hardly bother to size text for handheld so that's a challenge to me. Including switch exclusives like Fire Emblem, Octopath, and Astral Chain. Pokemon is a rare exception of appreciably ginormous text from an RPG. Games like Doom and Diablo are also hard for me to read but fortunately don't require too much reading, so genre is a big factor.

You can just buy retro/ish eshop games if you want to be safe, 240p always looks great.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I too play exclusively handheld, and haven’t run into a game yet that I regret playing that way.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    This is probably a dumb question but if I buy a subscription to Switch Online will I still get the 7 day trial? Ive never subbed to Nintendos online service.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    emp123 wrote: »
    This is probably a dumb question but if I buy a subscription to Switch Online will I still get the 7 day trial? Ive never subbed to Nintendos online service.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41197/~/how-to-sign-up-for-a-free-nintendo-switch-online-trial-membership

If you have auto-renew on, it'll automatically sub to a 30 day membership after the trial.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Is Untitled Goose Game ever going to see a sale? I have $20 sitting in my account just for this game (forgot about the tax)... or should I grab something else for it?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Is Untitled Goose Game ever going to see a sale? I have $20 sitting in my account just for this game (forgot about the tax)... or should I grab something else for it?

They just passed 1 million copies sold. Maybe there will be a sale to celebrate the milestone?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I know it was slightly cheaper at release, haven't seen any discounts since.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41197/~/how-to-sign-up-for-a-free-nintendo-switch-online-trial-membership

If you have auto-renew on, it'll automatically sub to a 30 day membership after the trial.

Doesnt really answer my question, but thanks anyway. I guess I should just sign up for the 7 day trial and then pick up the $20 sub.

Are there really any games that even utilize the service? Biggest benefit seems to be the NES/SNES games they offer, I think the only game I own that has any online component is Pokemon Shield.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Doesnt really answer my question, but thanks anyway. I guess I should just sign up for the 7 day trial and then pick up the $20 sub.

Are there really any games that even utilize the service? Biggest benefit seems to be the NES/SNES games they offer, I think the only game I own that has any online component is Pokemon Shield.

Tetris 99 is free and my most played game of 2019.

Smash, Splatoon, and Mario Kart all use the service as well.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    hey, in Starlink at the post end game:
    Does it ever stop spawning the boss things? I'd like to actually build up a planet, but I'm am for ever falling behind farther and farther because I have to keep taking out the big bugs and dreadnought ships.

Kinda soured me on it. Trying to decide if I should buy the digital stuff on sale.

It's been a while, so I forget the details, but one of the devs said something about enemies repopulating over time, but I think it's supposed to be a slow process when everything has been wiped out.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Oh.... hey... I just came up for air for the first time in like a week.

I guess Golf Story is pretty good.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    A bunch of mystery listings on retailers are fueling speculation that a direct is coming soon, heads up, grains of salt etc.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Also I found 8 bucks under my bed and I think I'm gonna buy Golf Story with it before the sale ends. Either that or Axiom Verge.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I just picked up the Resident evil triple pack that come's with 4 5 and 6 which means i now have Zero 1 4 5 6 on the switch.

Maybe i can hold out hopes that Capcom will surprise us one day with like a classic resident evil collection with Original 1/2/3 and like Deadaim/survivor/code veronica.

Or hell chronicles.

I suppose i'm not the only one wistfully dreaming of games they want to suddenly appear on the switch haha.

Also I found 8 bucks under my bed and I think I'm gonna buy Golf Story with it before the sale ends. Either that or Axiom Verge.

I bought both. Messed around with Axiom Verge for like an hour and thought it was fine. Launched Golf Story, blacked out for a week, and woke up in bathtub full of golf balls.

You know what to do.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I was the opposite. I played Golf Story for a few hours and thought it was cute, but Axiom Verge got its death grips in me and wouldn't let me go.

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I was the opposite. I played Golf Story for a few hours and thought it was cute, but Axiom Verge got its death grips in me and wouldn't let me go.

Guys, different people will lose their lives and minds to different game-traps, the onus on this community is to ensure everyone has an optimal opportunity to ruin their productive lives!

camo_sig2.png
    DaringDirk wrote: »

Guys, different people will lose their lives and minds to different game-traps, the onus on this community is to ensure everyone has an optimal opportunity to ruin their productive lives!

Exactly why you buy all games even if you don't intend to play them.

DaringDirk wrote: »

Exactly why you buy all games even if you don't intend to play them.

Hey, it was my business model first, you get your own.

Cog wrote: »

I bought both. Messed around with Axiom Verge for like an hour and thought it was fine. Launched Golf Story, blacked out for a week, and woke up in bathtub full of golf balls.

You know what to do.

YOU'RE TEARING ME APART!!

Resident 8bitdo expert.

You know what to do.

The simple answer is do you prefer action/platforming/metroidvania, or do you prefer the chill light rpg with puzzle-golf mechanics.

One of those concepts probably grips you more immediately, go with that one. There's legitimately no right or wrong answer.
    Except for the right answer, which is Golf Story.

You do you though.
    Golf Story.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Did...did someone try to recommend a game over Golf Story?
    Blasphemy

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    You're not my real dad!

You know what to do.

The simple answer is do you prefer action/platforming/metroidvania, or do you prefer the chill light rpg with puzzle-golf mechanics.

One of those concepts probably grips you more immediately, go with that one. There's legitimately no right or wrong answer.
    Except for the right answer, which is Golf Story.

You do you though.
    Golf Story.

I like both of those things equally.

Resident 8bitdo expert.