As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    There is a kickstarter going that is making dropper tops for GW paint bottles. I'm kind of interested.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Finished up my first models of 2020 by slapping some paint on these Iron Golem I got for christmas:

upoi7zruz8ab.jpg
    ys4doqnn1ji8.jpg
    pwxoh5bhocpy.jpg
    15ps5am2si1z.jpg

Not necessarily my favourite warband aesthetically, but with all that metal armour they take well to a quick wash and drybrush approach, though I feel they could probably use a further spot colour on there somewhere, or at least some neatening up. But they're ready enough to hit the table at least.
    Of course, now I just need to sort out a table for them to actually hit...

• DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    So 2019 was my most productive hobby year ever. At the end of 2018 I moved to a new place which finally had room for a permanent hobby station and my productivity went through the roof. I also tried to stick to the advice of this thread and just paint a little bit of something every day, which really added up over the course of the year.

I finally finished around 2000 points of Custodes for a tournament in September, after starting them and not getting more done beyond one squad and a dreadnought. Painting gold got pretty damn tiring so once I was done this I started...two more projects with gold in them. So I learned no lessons in 2019. I have a couple tanks and another dreadnought to finish up sometime this year.

TQ4t4ZO.jpg

I should have had the banana boys done way sooner but I, for some reason, decided to start up the wonderful game of Titanicus. I did manage to finish a full maniple, although I'm noticing now I never got to putting any transfers on the knights. Whoops. These are pretty unequivocally my favourite models GW has ever done, I really hope it keeps getting support.

XJVASmV.jpg

And then when I swore I was done starting new armies, I got the Ultramarines itch and decided to start a joint 30k/40k project. When Betrayal at Calth came out I had plans to do an Alpha Legion 30k army that never got anywhere, and I had the Ultramarines side of the 8th edition starter sitting around unused. I wanted to see what I could make out of all of that with relatively few new models from what I had already. Still have another Intercessor squad, a Redemptor Dreadnought, and a Sicaran Venator and then the 40k side of this is all done and I can focus on Heresy.

Kko1B4T.jpg
    EatosWW.jpg

Also moved all the Citadel paints to dropper bottles which was more time consuming than I expected, but so far has been very worth it. I always get tons of inspiration from this thread and forget to post my stuff, so thanks to everyone who's always showing their latest and reminding me to get some of my own done.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    This post really makes me feel like I need to sit and finish painting one of my armies entirely instead of skipping from project to project.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I’m still more or less a beginner painter, but I’m working on the models from the new Marvel: Crisis Protocol game and I think they’re turning out pretty okay. My phone sure does make them look worse than they do in person, though. It’s like my phone camera somehow exaggerates every little flaw.

6r0psb33hurw.jpeg
    zmu9wqls1qz5.jpeg
    rxorf51owd9w.jpeg
    5qnb5qyyjci0.jpeg

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I’m still more or less a beginner painter, but I’m working on the models from the new Marvel: Crisis Protocol game and I think they’re turning out pretty okay. My phone sure does make them look worse than they do in person, though. It’s like my phone camera somehow exaggerates every little flaw.

Photographing miniatures does this. You’re taking something painted to look good tiny and far away and blowing it up.

Learning to take good minis pictures is it’s own whole thing, so don’t worry about it.

These look great. Especially as the Crisis Protocol dudes are huge right?

Edit: A quick google says they’re 40mm scale.

Norgoth on
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    New year, but old models.

I pulled Gotrek out the wip box and started getting that ginger beard of his going.

A2CnlOq.png

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    @DocSamson Your Ultramarines are super clean! As a fellow Smurf collector I'm impressed. Great work.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    J wrote: »
    New year, but old models.

I pulled Gotrek out the wip box and started getting that ginger beard of his going.

A2CnlOq.png

Ooooh, such a nice colour. Would you be willing to share a rundown?

Sure can. Its troll slayer orange as a base, then mixing up to fire dragon bright highlights. Adding P3 Bloodstone into the shadows. Just a whole lotta glazing.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    Turquoise Marines, loyalist or heretic, or T'au, Stormcast, deepkin, any Bloodbowl team are all going to look great! Oh, van Saar and Escher, too.

Hells to the yeah! I've just finished my tenth model of the turqouise marines kind. Sometime in the middle I started making them too green, but I've managed to get back to the perfect hue again. I'm also planning to convert those three Evilcraft models to make them more in line with the new CSM.

wayward_sons.jpg

If you're wondering about the weird loadout, I'm making them usable in Space Hulk, because it looks like it will be years before I have 12 appropriate terminators painted.

I was considering getting back into this hobby after having spent the last 4 months doing the new parent thing but then I popped in here and saw this post.

So thanks for saving me a bunch of time and money.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Got a nice magnifier/light for Christmas and I think I finally have time to sit down and paint this weekend.I have so many minis to paint

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    b63u7cvhbek1.jpeg

Test model I did for my Ossiarch bonereapers. A little messy but I’ll take it for an hour of work that was mostly experimentation.

I like his snowy crumbly stone base

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Speaking of which.

What snow stuff do folks recommend. Is there like a 1 stop product to go for? Most tutorials are along the lines of mix these 5 things.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Speaking of which.

What snow stuff do folks recommend. Is there like a 1 stop product to go for? Most tutorials are along the lines of mix these 5 things.

That’s just the GF9 snow effect + PVA glue

The trick is doing multiple layers for better coverage. You just have to wait for each to dry.

Speaking of which.

Valhallan blizzard or whatever the snow texture paint GW makes is good.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Speaking of which.

I do GF9 snow and Secret Weapon realistic water mixed into a paste then applied where I want it. Then I sprinkle on some more snow while it's wet. I'm sure white glue would work fine as the binding agent but the realistic water gives it a nice glisten.

Valhallan Blizzard is ... not good.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Speaking of which.

I do GF9 snow and Secret Weapon realistic water mixed into a paste then applied where I want it. Then I sprinkle on some more snow while it's wet. I'm sure white glue would work fine as the binding agent but the realistic water gives it a nice glisten.

Valhallan Blizzard is ... not good.

It has always worked for me.
    gudpg2lsq305.jpg
    iakhu2fns97e.jpg

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Turquoise Marines, loyalist or heretic, or T'au, Stormcast, deepkin, any Bloodbowl team are all going to look great! Oh, van Saar and Escher, too.

Hells to the yeah! I've just finished my tenth model of the turqouise marines kind. Sometime in the middle I started making them too green, but I've managed to get back to the perfect hue again. I'm also planning to convert those three Evilcraft models to make them more in line with the new CSM.

wayward_sons.jpg

If you're wondering about the weird loadout, I'm making them usable in Space Hulk, because it looks like it will be years before I have 12 appropriate terminators painted.

I was considering getting back into this hobby after having spent the last 4 months doing the new parent thing but then I popped in here and saw this post.

Aw man, I prefer to inspire than discourage... how can we change the latter into the former?
    Bear in mind, I paint mostly for the pleasure of it, sometimes spending 10 or more hours on one model. This isn't your grandpas' tabletop. I imagine your collection is much more impressive, because a large, reasonably well painted army will always look better than a very well painted small squad.

Seriously though, I know how hard it is to paint when you have a small child, so please don't let this discourage you. I don't quite remember your work at this moment, but I always thought of you as an experienced painter. It looked like you could achieve this level if you wanted to, it's just that... is that actually your goal here? Because I know some people who outright said to me that "painting like this is for wankers".

EDIT: Anyway, I'm gonna take it as a compliment. I think I didn't paint anything for two years when my kid was born so I know how it is.

Mayday on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

wayward_sons.jpg

Aw man, I prefer to inspire than discourage... how can we change the latter into the former?
    Bear in mind, I paint mostly for the pleasure of it, sometimes spending 10 or more hours on one model. This isn't your grandpas' tabletop. I imagine your collection is much more impressive, because a large, reasonably well painted army will always look better than a very well painted small squad.

Seriously though, I know how hard it is to paint when you have a small child, so please don't let this discourage you. I don't quite remember your work at this moment, but I always thought of you as an experienced painter. It looked like you could achieve this level if you wanted to, it's just that... is that actually your goal here? Because I know some people who outright said to me that "painting like this is for wankers".
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
    Oh man, priceless ...

ArcticLancer on
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

wayward_sons.jpg

Classic wanker projection right there

Extreaminatus on
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, that’s pretty stupid. I don’t have the time or patience to put in to models like that, I just get my stuff to table top quality “yeah that looks passible from a foot away” level...but when someone steps to the table with an army with that much care in it, how can you not be impressed? People just can’t stand to not be “the best” at everything so they project their own insecurities.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My mother had the sarcastic comment of looks good from 10 feet away in a dark room without my glasses
    I know some of the better painters had an elitest attitude about them when it came to showing their minis. It was rare but it was not fun to be around them. I know some of us have minis we did fairly well and others that needed some help most fall in-between there

My goal is to be that magic area between table top and display more to the display option. I would love to paint more just it's far to cold to do so [you could age meat in this house}

I absolutely love to show off my painted stuff even though I absolutely detest painting minis and honestly don't feel like I'm very good at it.

I'll never give anyone shit for their paint jobs though. Whether someone is dropping some golden demon level paint job or 3 basic colors that are slopped on and clogging detail.

I play with majority bare plastic myself.

I try not to give people crap about having painted stuff. Most don't even take the effort to paint them when they play. Just I have known a few people who were jerks about painted stuff. My mother just was sarcastic about it not mocking but just trying for us to improve our skill on our own which tips and tricks from her

A lot of the structured stuff I play in around here is ITC based, so you're required to have at least three colors and basic basing on your models. Some tournaments won't hard require it, but will dock you points for not having it. I don't give people crap for it, but it does suck to walk up to a table with your fully painted army (even if it's not a great paint job) only to have someone drop a bunch of gray or single color prime on the other side.

The 3 color rule was one of the reasons my black templars ended up with red bolters [because I needed a different color and red helps break up the sea of black}
    But I also think this was why people played with Orks often [other than the fact then you could get a ton of boys for 500 points}

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Red bolters are always rad

04xkcuvaav19.png
    Started working on one of my Skaven gnawholes. Almost done with it, just gotta paint the lightning bolts, probably gonna do yellow and then finish the wooden parts.

I was gonna try to add fluorescent white to the center and inner part of the runes but it basically only shows up under black light. There was also just a massive clog of paint at the tip of the fluorescent white paint and the cap burst off and made a huge mess so I'm gonna email green stuff world about that.

nb1iw08at2qv.jpg
    5957tl3ctv9r.jpg

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Not terribly happy with it, but finally finished... with one.

lyGujFEh.jpgdpMWbCEh.jpgBicqXAnh.jpg

Need gem paints to do the gemstones, but can do that later.

KiTA on
    Interior side of the axe as well as the mohawk done today.

JZJt60G.png

aQFmGLv.png

Got the majority of the second Gnawhole done. Next one I want to do blue but I think I'll need to do blue and purple since I don't have any other shades of blue.

0kfnluv0f5nm.jpg
    gbgx3t7tcq5s.jpg

Those look straight awesome!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Stragint's really good with terrain and basing.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    I talk about the 40k painting books and stuff I have learned about them
    a9zy05wojuw4.png
    Since I bought the harlequin painting guide [I saw it for sale in a book faire in a grocery store parking lot I considered it a legend} The books came out pre Warhammer tv.
    I will say the harlequin one was well worth getting since GW is rather vague and meh about painting them
    They will defer to this when you ask about other masques
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_TZ6hp1ZGs Or the longer one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospUJu2L2fA
    But when it comes to other books they posted most of the stuff on youtube
    The Tau one
    Auf Nacht deutsch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ecptwPgE3Q
    They posted the TLDR parts of it as some of their first videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn5X21xlDbg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diSho6SVa94
    The Ad mech had two books?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HX4MLhMH0w
    @ about the 30 minute mark they look at the painting guides
    But If you follow most of their other guides you know how to do metal and lenses
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLsteSBHEcM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIDSZ4xRZ4U
    Basically those two videos were the second book from what I have seen
    Ryza is only a slightly out of focus look but yay they posted it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdZHq-RBsiE
    Others are up if you look
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFRjzGCe2P8
    Just I bought the Space Wolf one it's basically Warhammer tv in print. But I feel the Harlequin one was a treasure onto itself as it shows 5 different masques breaks it down to the shadowseer, the solitaire, death jester, troupe member, and the jetbike piece by piece
    I really feel the harlequin was worth it, The Dark eldar one I got kind of was as it showed the Kabal of the Flayed skull how to do wyches. I know they show to customize the archon since people really don't like the look of it.

H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Stragint's really good with terrain and basing.

I appreciate that, thank you. I do think one of my favorite parts of the hobby is doing bases. I find it a lot of fun to experiment with different things.

I finished the first part of the last gnawhole. I need a better black light.

This also might be my favorite one.

zcc8iaxwg6e1.jpg
    hna8ivk8gfxo.jpg

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Time to shit up the thread! Been working on this for a while, before I got Bonercast Eternals for Christmas. I should probably go back and finish it.
    Tj8OY0l.jpg
    eH090tF.jpg

Also, exploding Boners are a pain to paint
    TOQ8JwJ.jpg
    qVRE7VC.jpg

edit: spoiler'd for fuckhuge images

Extreaminatus on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Got another Crisis Protocol mini done!

qfm771s897q2.jpg
    q1dmjedknuja.jpg
    ez1y4bqq1f7o.jpg

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    For your criticism I submit this Plague Marine test model:
    ept1kpgn4twe.jpg
    jtbgmws2tlyh.jpg

The intent is to reproduce the color scheme found in the cover art of Strike Team, and I’m mostly happy with the results.
    57v9jel7vgkf.jpg

I wanted the organic mutation parts to look like slimy maggot skin and the horn to look like yellowed nails, but I don’t think I achieved my vision. I’d like a more dynamic horn, maybe going from brown to ivory and then glazed in yellow. I’d also like the fleshy parts to stand out a bit more, maybe painting them an angry inflamed skin? I’m open to suggestions.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。