As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    They do seem to be the safest part of the mech, as evidenced by how I can't fucking destroy them ever.

Easiest way to destroy a leg is to flank the target, that increases the chances to hit the leg on that side by quite a bit. For a target you can't flank at the moment a hit in the legs might as well be a miss since you aren't going to destroy that leg from the front. Always pisses me off when I melee some assault mech with my Grasshopper and that 210 damage hit lands on the leg, sadly one hit in the knee doesn't stop their adventures.

On the other hand reducing an enemy to an intact head and two intact legs is always fun, I tend to imagine the head stays floating up for a bit, then notices it has no torso left, falls between the legs and rolls away.

I keep finding whenever I shoot a mech from the side, I'm liable to blow the arm, right/left torso, and center torso off before the leg decides to take damage :(

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    They do seem to be the safest part of the mech, as evidenced by how I can't fucking destroy them ever.

Easiest way to destroy a leg is to flank the target, that increases the chances to hit the leg on that side by quite a bit. For a target you can't flank at the moment a hit in the legs might as well be a miss since you aren't going to destroy that leg from the front. Always pisses me off when I melee some assault mech with my Grasshopper and that 210 damage hit lands on the leg, sadly one hit in the knee doesn't stop their adventures.

On the other hand reducing an enemy to an intact head and two intact legs is always fun, I tend to imagine the head stays floating up for a bit, then notices it has no torso left, falls between the legs and rolls away.

I keep finding whenever I shoot a mech from the side, I'm liable to blow the arm, right/left torso, and center torso off before the leg decides to take damage :(

That can also happen, especially if you've fired at the same mech from the front too so the upper parts are already damaged. And of course it's all random to some extent. But all in all legs are so safe I basically never kill an enemy by legging it, not randomly and not by design. And since DFA has such crap hit rate in BEX3025 I never kill my own mechs like that either.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

IIRC overflow damage to the arm goes to first the side torso, then to the center torso. If the mech is intact before you alpha strike on that side, you'll spread our damage according to the probability. If not...bleed-through damage may wreck its shit without taking off a leg.

Flanking called shots are real easy to go for legs though, and I highly recommend it until you have weapons that can decapitate a mech in one shot along with tactics 9.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    I should probably try legging a bit more, it's just never really enters my mind as an option. Doesn't help that my heaviest hitters are so slow they rarely get to flank anything, so going for the head has better chances of working if I want more than 1 salvage. Now that I'm hunting for the higher tech variants in BEX3025 getting more salvage would be useful again, and since many of them have XL engines any tactic that takes out a side torso instantly cores them.

Could always try taking a lance of two Grasshoppers, Griffin-1DS and Royal Griffin, that should work just fine for flanking.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    "Hey, we need you to assault this convoy. Oh and there's a lance protecting it."

The lance: 4 light mechs.

The convoy: Shrek PPC Carrier, SRM Carrier, Manticore, and I honestly don't remember the last tank because jesus christ the first three

...Who's protecting whom again?

The Shrek PPC carriers did work on the second to last mission for me. One even survived to see the new era. :D

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I cannot get my UAC's to fire on CD in Mechwarrior 5. Is there a special button i have to push or something?

wbBv3fj.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    I cannot get my UAC's to fire on CD in Mechwarrior 5. Is there a special button i have to push or something?

It should just be pushing the weapon group for the ultra-5. If it's not continuing to fire, you might just be getting incredibly unlucky with the jams.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    "Hey, we need you to assault this convoy. Oh and there's a lance protecting it."

The lance: 4 light mechs.

The convoy: Shrek PPC Carrier, SRM Carrier, Manticore, and I honestly don't remember the last tank because jesus christ the first three

...Who's protecting whom again?

The Shrek PPC carriers did work on the second to last mission for me. One even survived to see the new era. :D

Yea I had them take out a couple of enemy mechs from the rear after I softened them up. Nothing like 3 PPCs to the rear armor

Thud thud thud thud -> Weapon on CD... Will not fire until CD is up. Incredibly unlucky is like... 0% probability. Clicking again while its thudding does nothing. Clicking again right after its thudding does nothing

wbBv3fj.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Easiest way to destroy a leg is to flank the target, that increases the chances to hit the leg on that side by quite a bit.
    I'm assuming this is HSB, but man, in both MWO and MW5 I am fucking terrible at being able to tell which of the two legs is out. I am utterly incapable of reading the paperdoll at a glance and the hobble animation isn't obvious enough to where I go "oh yeah, THAT is the fucked one", I just sort of guesstimate which leg looks like it has more armour left on it and hope that, if I'm wrong, my poor aim will compensate.

Maybe that's why I enjoy the ML+MG Locust so much, at full circling speed and MG spread there's no way to pinpoint anyway, you just point yourself roughly at their legs and hold down fire.

I solved my UAC refire problem. I had the weapon group on chain fire. And this was preventing it from refiring until it was off CD

wbBv3fj.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    MWO:

A short tutorial on how to farm the event for match score and damage:

1. Buy COR-7A Corsair
    2. Outfit with 3xRAC/2, 4xAMS, and 4xML
    3. Reap the rewards of everybody taking LRM assaults to try to farm damage and matchscore themselves
    jfjtbh19vt26.jpg

It was around 1250 missiles shot down during that particular game IIRC.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    tfw you headcapped a Victor but it's 26 shares and the max amount of shares you could have even signed up for on the mission was 10

sigh

---

The hardpoint restrictions have not been kind to certain chassis in MW5. Looking at Banshees and Cyclops and thinking to myself "just why". They can't mount any weaponry worth a damn for the weight class solely because of hardpoint restrictions...

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    So, MW5 is a ton of fun with a pal, but maybe I should have done instant action instead of having us piloting a light and a medium and just kind of wailing on spiders and locusts.

If I bee-line campaign progress, that's the best way to get into bigger fights, right?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Probably. As long as you just grind out cash and get new mechs for the difficulty you'll be fine.

kx3klFE.png
    edited January 2020
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    So, MW5 is a ton of fun with a pal, but maybe I should have done instant action instead of having us piloting a light and a medium and just kind of wailing on spiders and locusts.

If I bee-line campaign progress, that's the best way to get into bigger fights, right?

The best way to get into bigger fights is to run regular missions and ideally “multi-missions”*. Campaign missions are usually harder and have less rewards. Once youre a davion hero you will be able to get a lot of cash from easier missions and you can use that cash to buy medium/heavy mechs that let you progress.

If you know how to aproach each mission then the “real time” money making path is probably “demolition”(choose cash and repair, no salvage) -> warzone(salvage and repair) -> defense-> assassination -> raid

The more players you have and the better youre efficiently outfit the better warzone is because you can stay longer. Staying longer will make the lances that drop in retaliation heavier(better salvage and more money/kill). Demolition is the easiest/fastest because you can just get in a light mech and run through everything then bail.

*a few things to note about multi-missions.

1)you have 12 days to repair between missions 1 and 3 but 1 and 2 must be done sequentially. So if you have a 4x mission then you only need 2 lances as it will usually take 2-3 days to repair an armor section, letting you more easily reuse mechs

2) you get much more salvage but you can easily outchoose salvage. In general, if you dont pull a mec, salvage is worth 30 to 50k per point. (IE half value of most expensive thing you can get per single point) while money is worth 137k. So if youre going to light mech up that demo mission you will want to make sure you have a good amount of points in dosh

Edit: there are also “high reward missions” that you can come across that will have a minor quest line that gives specific loot at the end. These arent all that high reward unless youre not well in with the faction

Edit: Something else to add. If you do a multi-mission and then abandon it half way you still get the mission rewards for the first one. You just lose some rep with the faction you accepted the mission with(not sure how much though)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular

Again, @Forbe! did the heavy lifting here.

Thanks for the credit, but I found that on google.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited January 2020
    As example: This is why you take multi-mission warzones

tsTG4V5.png

21 Total salvage points. I could just not do the next mission and it would have been worth it

Edit: mission was 200 tonne drop and will almost me another heavy mech all by itself

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    "These two lances are fighting each other. Why don't you let them beat each other up for a while, and then kill them both."

Roger. Engaging each lance one at a time, focusing all of their attention on me and having to kill each and every mech without much in the way of crossfire, got it.

Somehow my pair of Vulcans and pair of Firestarters managed to weather a Kintaro, Wolverine, & Dervish from the first side, following up with an Ostroch (hello first Heavy mech), Hornet, & Griffin from the opposing side. God I wish I had taken more salvage rights.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    BATTLETECH

So as the Career of OILER Sortie Alpha reaches its end, I'm save-splitting to get to the remaining Flashpoints I haven't hit....which is the Alliance sequence.

Combine/Kurita Alliance
    Draconis Bob: "Hey, this'll be easy! We're just going to have you assassinate one mysterious Davion black-ops guy. Easy!"

*Cue Yakkity Sax over the course of waaaaaay too many consecutive missions*
    Fuck you, Bob.
    Seriously though, this Flashpoint (and I'm feeling, probably none of them) are worth doing: The rewards are butts, and the story was stupid.

FWL/Marik Alliance
    Decent Duder from Marik Space: "Hey, our allies (the Cappies and the Snakes) aren't letting us in on their suuuuuuper-secret project. Mind blowing a hole in their research base communication path, so we can snoop on it? We're good for it!"

This flashpoint, I kinda hated less, but it was almost as grindy and stupid as the Kurita one. Being forced to run light was rouuuuuuuugh; I only had one true 50-tonner, so I ended up having to run a bunch of 45's and a 40. And then some lights, after the damage from mission 1 was too much to carry those 'Mechs into mission 2. Uuuuuugggh. At least I got to totally wreck shop the rest of the way with my Assaults.
    The reward was a sweet souped-up Gauss Rifle though, which eeeeehhhhhh might'a been worth it if it weren't the end of my career.

Liao/Capellan Alliance
    Marina Liao: "Some of our Maskirovka agents stole some Davion cryotubes with members of the royal line in them, mind cutting us a path off-world? You know we're good for it!"

*cue my jaw hitting the floor when the story took that bolded turn*
    Holy shit, Marina! Like, just, woooooooooow. And by the way, since I played nice with you, literally half my command crew thinks this was the shittiest act we've ever engaged in as a mercenary company.
    Wooooooooow.
    I just...holy shit.
    And the best reward was an ER-PPC++...again, which would be great if it weren't in the twilight of my career.

So now, it's back to my pre-branch savegame to grind up some Lyran and Davion rep to unlock their Alliance flashpoints. Hope they don't suck as much as Bob's did!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    More Mechwarrior Madvancement:

What to buy:

Part 1: weapons. All of them. All of the rare weapons.

You will eventually find better versions of these but things blow off and its nice to have spares. The biggest thing here is that better weapons are a LOT better. They do more DPS and have better damage/heat. Since you will/may want to make heat neutral mechs for your allies(as they dumb) this makes your and your allies MUCH better at the same tonnage.

Good weapons will stay with you as you upgrade mechs and define your playstyle. A UAC/5+++ early in the game will turn your centurion into a beast and stay with you when you get a jager/rifleman.

One note: when you buy a new type of weapon remember to buy up all its ammo as you otherwise might not find any

Part 2: pilots. Pilots are mid-lategame acquisitions that arent a huge deal. Pick up ones that are better than what you have for what youre doing sure but remember its a long time till payoff.

Part 3: Mechs

In the end game youre going to want a couple lances of assault mechs and a smattering of specific use mechs. But as you advance youre going to find that there are plenty of mechs to buy in order to have more oomph.

In general a mech has three important qualities a) weapon slots b) tonnage c) speed. Heavier mechs have more armor and faster mechs have less. Physical size also matters but less for you. When youre buying mechs youre going to likely be buying heavier mechs for immediate use but there are also mechs you should look out for: light hero mechs(always buy the Urbanmech k9). Some of them have double heat sinks (which are good).

Rare mechs are not necessarily better than regular mechs and going out of your way to look at these isnt so worthwhile. In general they will be fully repaired and sometimes/usually have different weapon slot configs. This can be good or bad.

Hero mechs on the other hand are better than regular mechs. In general they come with at least two of endo steel construction, ferro fiberous armor, L/XL engines, double heat sinks. Some might have 3 or 4 of them. (Not sure which). Note that aside from the double heat sinks these advantages come free. You lose no critical slots. They also have different and generally better slot congifs than non-hero mechs

What this means is that heavy and assault hero mechs are really good, medium ones are loads of fun, and you should pick up one or two light ones if you find them even if you are just going to use them for demo missions. I think the spider-A is best for this (2 machine guns, AMS, low profile, 130 kph) but the Raven-H is almost as good (its a 35 tonne raven with 4 machine guns more armor and jump jets, better max armor than the spider). The cicada-x5 is also very good (faster and better armored than the raven and spider, but larger and no machine guns). Machine guns are the king of destroying structures.

wbBv3fj.png
    edited January 2020
    More Mechwarrior Madvancement:

What to buy:

Part 1: weapons. All of them. All of the rare weapons.

You will eventually find better versions of these but things blow off and its nice to have spares. The biggest thing here is that better weapons are a LOT better. They do more DPS and have better damage/heat. Since you will/may want to make heat neutral mechs for your allies(as they dumb) this makes your and your allies MUCH better at the same tonnage.

Good weapons will stay with you as you upgrade mechs and define your playstyle. A UAC/5+++ early in the game will turn your centurion into a beast and stay with you when you get a jager/rifleman.

One note: when you buy a new type of weapon remember to buy up all its ammo as you otherwise might not find any

Just wanted to address this bit.

Be smart about your "rare weapon" purchases. I'm at a time in my campaign where you will see "rare" weapons that are the exact same damage, heat, rate of fire, range, every measurable stat as the non-rare versions...except for the price. On my last repair hop, I found a rare Tier 3 ER Large Laser right next to a trio of Tier 3 ER Large Lasers that didn't have the "rare" tag. All the numbers were the same, but the price on the rare was 600k more than the non-rares.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    I've been loathe to buy expensive weapons because I have a Centurion and a Jagermech and the arm weapons keep getting destroyed. I've sunk millions of credits into replacing the cent's AC/10.

Spending 500k on a higher tier weapon just to have it be gone after the very next mission seems like a bad idea.

Unless I'm dumb and there's some way to repair a red destroyed component?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    I've been loathe to buy expensive weapons because I have a Centurion and a Jagermech and the arm weapons keep getting destroyed. I've sunk millions of credits into replacing the cent's AC/10.

Yeah, there's a reason Daddy won't let the kids drive the Centurion any longer.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I've lost as many AC/10s as the times I've used the Centurion.

Do you not up armor the arm?

wbBv3fj.png
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    No, we reduce the armour to the minimum so it's easier to aim the autocannon thanks to a lighter load.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Not playing MW5 myself right now, but from what I’ve seen of playthroughs on YouTube the enemy AI aims for arms and friendly AI doesn’t shield them, so Centurions and Jagermechs (Warhammers also seem to have this problem) lose their weapon arms quickly.

As far as I can tell, as soon as you move to something heavier and want to put your AI pilots in the Centurion, you’re better off selling it and outfitting a Hunchback for them instead.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    The Grasshopper is a very good chassis for the AI to pilot because of this. Nothing useful is in the arms, losing one is completely whatever.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    I might switch the centurion out for a cicada and the jenner out for a javelin then. Until I can find something else. I'd love a HBK. My favorite medium.

edited January 2020
    The cicada is bad. It has a huge, non XL engine in it. It cant even max armor with zero weapons or heat sinks

If you want a medium with no good components in the arm then the Hunchback and shadowhawk are your only choice. Though i find that riflemen tend to do well so it may just be arm size as well*. Which meansa blackjack might have some success.

Edit: bad might be the wrong word. The cicada is a big raven with slightly better speed, armor, and firepower. But its also a big raven and one of the main advantages of the raven is how physicialy small it is; making it hard to hit, hiding it entirely within buildings as you run through them. (Plus one of the versions has machine guns and machine guns are the best at destroying structures). So you will be much less safe in your cicada than your raven even if you have slightly better armor. Its also the same-ish price as the hero raven/spider and decidedly worse than either. Edit2: the hero cociada is a different story. It has an XL engine, endo-steel construction, and ff armor. So it can max armor and still fit a full complement of weapons

*it does not hurt that the rifleman has more arm armor than a jagermevh

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    MW5 questions:

1. @Goumindong where are you seeing info on stuff like what size engine a mech might have?
    2. How do I see how much heat is generated by my mech? I can see how much cooling I have, but that's it unless I'm missing something.

Also, I've noticed that some weapons that appear to be exactly the same (same amount of pips and stats) have different prices. Is there something under the hood I'm missing?

camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2020
    Heir wrote: »
    MW5 questions:

1. Goumindong where are you seeing info on stuff like what size engine a mech might have?
    2. How do I see how much heat is generated by my mech? I can see how much cooling I have, but that's it unless I'm missing something.

Also, I've noticed that some weapons that appear to be exactly the same (same amount of pips and stats) have different prices. Is there something under the hood I'm missing?

1) For me, I use Nav-Alpha to pull up the specific variant number of a mech and then use the "Stock Loadout" tool. That'll show you exactly what engine and any extras are in the mech (double heatsinks, ferro-fibrous, endo-steel, etc...)
    2) For heat generated, all I've been doing is looking at what weapons are loaded. The weapon stats have heat generated specified.

As for the weapon prices, are the higher priced ones outlined in light blue? That's a case of what I mentioned up above: PGI just tacked on a "rare" weapon tax...so even if the stats are the same, you're paying more for the "rare" one. Otherwise, there's no difference, so just buy up the lower priced one.

Erlkönig on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    MW5 questions:

1. Goumindong where are you seeing info on stuff like what size engine a mech might have?

1) For me, I use Nav-Alpha to pull up the specific variant number of a mech and then use the "Stock Loadout" tool. That'll show you exactly what engine and any extras are in the mech (double heatsinks, ferro-fibrous, endo-steel, etc...)
    2) For heat generated, all I've been doing is looking at what weapons are loaded. The weapon stats have heat generated specified.

As for the weapon prices, are the higher priced ones outlined in light blue? That's a case of what I mentioned up above: PGI just tacked on a "rare" weapon tax...so even if the stats are the same, you're paying more for the "rare" one. Otherwise, there's no difference, so just buy up the lower priced one.

No blue border that signifies a rare weapon. I see this happen on the salvage screen a lot, where for some reason there will be two Medium Lasers next to each other with identical stats, but the value of one is higher. Very strange.

camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2020
    MW5 questions:

1. @Goumindong where are you seeing info on stuff like what size engine a mech might have?

3) If weapons have the same stats but different names the different named weapons have different usage. If not its because a bug denoted one of them a “rare weapon” and the other not a rare weapon. A rare weapon has a cost increase over normal but is above the markets quality rating.

2) you dont :( you have to do that yourself and its a pain. Its worthwhile though because AI mechs will quickly max heat. And if theyre tuned to how i suspect theyre tuned they will fire the lowest heat weapon first once heat returns to reasonable levels. If that weapon is not damage/heat efficient then they will be stuck in a low DPS loop. Also note that “heat generated” on your weapon is not good enough as that is per shot and not per second (which your dissipation is). Edit: “heat generated” by flamers is per second though

1) engine size can be determined by speed and tonnage. From the tabletop a mechs speed is engine size/tonnage hexes. And then in mechwarrior games this gets a KPH conversion. Light/Extra Light engines are determined by looking the mech up in the MWO/sarna database and seeing if they have those qualities.

When looking something up in MWO mechs do note that you will not get the full compliment of double heat sinks the mech says it has. Mechwarrior does not figure engine heat sinks(these are always base heat sinks i think) and so you get usually the listed value -10.

As an example here is the wolverine hero mech which has a 275 XL engine, Endo-Steel, and 12 doubles. If you buy it you will only get two doubles.

And the cicada x-5 hero. 13 = 3 doubles(not sure you get them), XL engine, ff armor, endo steel construction

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    so MWLL just released version 11.3, which includes the Maurader. I've only had a chance to toy around with them a couple of times, but holy hell is a Improved Heavy Gauss rifle a thing to be feared. Takes a while to reload, but boy does it pack a whallop.

Oh, and I recalled someone asking a while ago, and yes: the mechs in MWLL have the requisite "Reactor online, sensors online, weapons online, all systems nominal" on powerup.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
    For MW5, seriously, using the stock loadout tool in Nav Alpha is kinda almost perfect for coming up with loadouts.

More AI weapon optimization stuffs

Heat Per Second tends to be STEADY on AC's and SRM's, and go DOWN by 10% over the course of tier 1-5 for lasers. (HPS for tier 0 is always higher except on lasers where its the same as tier 1)

A decent rubrik which isn't quite right is that a large laser uses 1 HPS, a Medium .5, a small .25, and a PPC 1.5. ER and Pulse versions use 50% more than that. While an AC20 uses 1.2 HPS, AC 10 use 1 HPS, and AC 2/5 uses .4 HPS, AC5/BF uses .5 HPS, and LBX uses .6/.7 These are slight rounds but otherwise NBD. Lasers are generally rounded up because you're unlikely to have tier 5 lasers on everything.

If you go to your handy weapon information spreadsheet you will find relative damage/heat numbers on the second page. Where we will find some unsurprising things.

1) Bigger weapons are worse in terms of damage/heat
    2) lasers are worse in terms of damage/heat. Only a small laser is better than any AC (and only the regular 10/20)
    3) SRM's are OK in terms of damage heat. Better than AC/10 and 20 but worse than all other AC's

But some surprising things may pop out

1) Longer range weapons may or may not be better for damage/heat. The efficiency scale for autocannons goes... UAC/5, AC5/BF, LBX-10, AC/5 and LBX-10 SLD, AC2/BF, AC20/BF, then AC/2 and AC/10 BF, and then AC/10 and 20.
    2) LRMs are better in terms of damage/heat than SRMs and the bigger you go the better they become.
    3) Gauss(24.7) and UAC/5(21) are, by far, the kings of damage/heat. The next closest is the AC5/BF at 13.42.

Do note that the BF/UAC weapons don't hit a single spot and so have some diminished utility because of damage spread but we're ignoring that for now.

The main thing to take away from this is that if you're at high heat and use>Dissipation then you will probably(this is unconformed) your LOWEST RAW HEAT use weapon group first. It might also be the case that the AI ignores weapon groups (unsure on this) and so would fire the LOWEST RAW HEAT weapon first.

Notably a medium laser uses 1.688 heat for 3.8 damage/heat and an AC10/BF uses 1.86 Heat for 8.387 damage/heat. So if you get an AI heat locked and they have medium lasers they may decide to cycle fire those medium lasers rather than fire that AC10/BF for 2.2 times the damage. Your SRM 6's cost 2.7 Heat per and so almost certainly you're going to cycle fire those medium lasers rather than use those SRM's for 2x the damage.

I still think medium lasers are some of the best weapons in the game for the AI (just on range/damage/accuracy alone)

Anyway.
    Base AI rules until we know better

If HPS/Dissipation: then your best "heat/damage" weapon ideally should be lowest total heat use (aside from LRMS). This means medium lasers and AC 10/20 don't mix well.

Total HPS should be no greater than DISSIPATION +1 and not less than Dissipation. This gives AI mechs about 93 seconds of total firing time. If HPS is less than dissipation then you're wasting DPS.

AI should have LRM's more than SRM's as SRM's are not terribly good at Heat/Damage compared to AC's and LRM's can shut off entirely at low ranges.

wbBv3fj.png
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I noticed in the market if you sell an item it doesn’t go into the same stack under the Buy side. I guess if you sell something unintentionally it lets you buy it back without markup.

Was it possibly that?

Thanks, crewmate, for offering me to pay $1m C-Bills for your stupid bird.

But now it gave me a part for a BL-6b-KNT, and it has NINE laser hardpoints, and I want it so much now. But where the hell am I going to find 4 more parts for this rare as shit variant?

Characters