As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Chrono-Coils

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Chrono-Coils

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Turns out Gabe was the real cheater all along.

• Options
    Jgr9Jgr9 Registered User regular
    lol I had this moment a Christmas, but either way, I still would have lost badly anyways.

• Options
    RegularjoeRegularjoe Registered User new member
    Someone once pulled the whole "hurr durr, no rewinds" on me during a magic game when I ended my turn too quickly.

I, being a rules lawyer and a bastard, proceeded to declare every time I passed priority for the rest of that game.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Regularjoe wrote: »
    Someone once pulled the whole "hurr durr, no rewinds" on me during a magic game when I ended my turn too quickly.

I, being a rules lawyer and a bastard, proceeded to declare every time I passed priority for the rest of that game.

Honestly, if someone is pulling that kind of stuff on a casual game, that's exactly what they deserve.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    kurokotetsukurokotetsu Registered User regular
    Well I have bwen very quiet for a long while, but I wamted to see. Am I the only ome seeing a Dan Abnett quote from Prospero Burns in Tycho's post about Warmachine?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I generally don't like people going back in time, but for stuff where it's just assumed you're always doing it unless otherwise stated it's fine. Like if you spend 3 turns in a row declaring that you're prepping your counter attack, and you forget on a time someone actually would have triggered it and no action you did remember would have prevented it? Yeah, absolutely retcon it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Games are supposed to be fun

If somebody really meant to do a thing, let them do the thing!

Nobody wants to play with someone who uses the rules to gain advantages on technicalities

• Options
    Games are supposed to be fun

If somebody really meant to do a thing, let them do the thing!

Nobody wants to play with someone who uses the rules to gain advantages on technicalities

Yeah but what's fun for one person can be anti-fun for your opponent. You have to strike a balance between making up forgotten but common moves, and just letting them undo a bad decision.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    That was a quality first post.
    EDIT: aaaand it's gone.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    kurokotetsukurokotetsu Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Seems I am crazy after all.

kurokotetsu on
  • Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    It really depends on how serious the game is. If it's in a tournament then you follow the letter of the rules, because the outcome has actual consequences. If it's just a friendly game, you go by what people intended within the framework of the rules. If they forgot to do something last turn and they mention it before it becomes important (I.E. you can't say "I meant to use my smoke grenade" after your opponent shoots you, but you could if you realized while they were still planning their moves), it's usually good form to just run with it.

But then, sounds like the Penny Arcade team may be a bit more hardcore than your average FLGS table, so tourney rules may apply.

• Options
    Grendus wrote: »
    It really depends on how serious the game is. If it's in a tournament then you follow the letter of the rules, because the outcome has actual consequences. If it's just a friendly game, you go by what people intended within the framework of the rules. If they forgot to do something last turn and they mention it before it becomes important (I.E. you can't say "I meant to use my smoke grenade" after your opponent shoots you, but you could if you realized while they were still planning their moves), it's usually good form to just run with it.

But then, sounds like the Penny Arcade team may be a bit more hardcore than your average FLGS table, so tourney rules may apply.

But also, humorous context. They generally always have someone taking a competitive game way too seriously (see: Pokémon trainer Gabe) and one of the players in this particular game is like 12.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LaughingLordLaughingLord Registered User new member
    I am Obvo an impartial observer here, but I can't help but notice poor innocent lovable Kiko is drawn almost trollishly.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I am Obvo an impartial observer here, but I can't help but notice poor innocent lovable Kiko is drawn almost trollishly.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2019/12/30/dust

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Back when I played a lot of Warhammer 40k, these sorts of situations came up all the time, in both casual and more competitive settings (FLGS league or tournament). I've always considered myself a nice person, and I'm also not that competitive, so I usually let my opponents go back and do something they forgot if it they caught it quickly enough. If they ended a shooting phase and forgot to fire their Predator or something, I'd be fine with it, but not if we were ending the CC phase, for example. There's winning a game based on an opponent's strategic error, and then there's winning because they just plain forgot a rule or something like that. Ultimately, it made my games more pleasant. And I generally tended to have pretty decent sportsmanship scores, even if I didn't win a lot of games. Though I doubt I'd have won any more games if I'd been a stickler on those things, I enjoyed 40k even if I wasn't particularly good at it.

Zomro on