As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Give Us Sexy Dolphins Now!!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I really do wonder how much of their attitude naturally derives from their biology. They are essentially a single organism, like the Borg, surrounded by a universe of what they seem to consider p-zombies - things that look and talk and act like entities with feelings, but aren't, not really.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    From what the Founders say in DS9, they don't seem to have an trouble recognizing that other races are completely sentient, they simply don't give a shit because those races aren't immortal and can't change form. They apparently view any opinion besides their own as inherently worthless to the extent that they don't lack anger or hatred, they merely don't consider solids as worth hating or being angry with. Naturally, all that falls apart when they get hit with the virus and they begin to realize they fucked up and that solids can totally kick their ass, and then they start getting pissy about solids.

So it's not like they can't see other aliens as aware, they just choose not to care because they've got so much power that they don't have to care.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    except for the part that EVERY race the founders run into have been terrified/hostile of shapeshifters. So the founders have to genetically engineer races to not fear them.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Well, that's the Founder's word, but how much you trust that, I don't know. This is a race that sends out "infants" blind just to see what would happen.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    If everyone you meet hates and/or fears you, maybe you're the assholes.
    .... naaaaah.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I don't think genocide is okay.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    except for the part that EVERY race the founders run into have been terrified/hostile of shapeshifters. So the founders have to genetically engineer races to not fear them.

Do we ever see any evidence of this? They said it to Odo because Odo experienced fear and hostility from solids. Everything they did with him was designed to bring him back to the Great Link, and everything else largely an afterthought. Change Leader told Weyoun that she'd give up the entire Alpha Quadrant to get Odo back. Which is very close to what happened in the end.

And even if they had experienced Bad Things in the past, that doesn't apply to the Alpha Quadrant. The Federation would never have attacked them unprovoked, something they could've easily confirmed through infiltration. The whole Dominion War, including their near-extinction, only happens because the Founders picked a fight.
    Winky wrote: »

Debates like this are weird, because it's "genocide in self-defense," which is not something that has ever existed in the real world. There have been plenty of genocides, unfortunately, but there's never been a group that a) faced an existential threat from an enemy, b) still had the ability to annihilate that enemy, c) without itself being destroyed in turn.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    .... naaaaah.

those solids just can't take a friendly stabbing with good humor.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    .... naaaaah.

those solids just can't take a friendly orbital bombardment with good humor.

Fixed.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Pailryder wrote: »

Do we ever see any evidence of this? They said it to Odo because Odo experienced fear and hostility from solids. Everything they did with him was designed to bring him back to the Great Link, and everything else largely an afterthought. Change Leader told Weyoun that she'd give up the entire Alpha Quadrant to get Odo back. Which is very close to what happened in the end.

And even if they had experienced Bad Things in the past, that doesn't apply to the Alpha Quadrant. The Federation would never have attacked them unprovoked, something they could've easily confirmed through infiltration. The whole Dominion War, including their near-extinction, only happens because the Founders picked a fight.

Debates like this are weird, because it's "genocide in self-defense," which is not something that has ever existed in the real world. There have been plenty of genocides, unfortunately, but there's never been a group that a) faced an existential threat from an enemy, b) still had the ability to annihilate that enemy, c) without itself being destroyed in turn.

It's also weird because most countries have a civilian population; it's arguable that the Great Link hivemind is a legitimate military target, as it's definitely involved in the war. I don't like the use of a biological weapon, but an orbital bombardment or the like is closer to a regular military operation than any real-world genocide.

• Options
    Are we sure that all pieces of the Great Link have equal say in what goes on? We don't learn anything about it except from Change Leader or from Odo, who learned it from Change Leader. The story gives little reliable information about the Dominion. We see what the Dominion does, which is create genetic plagues, commit genocide, enslave, and start wars of conquest.

• Options
    There's stuff in the STO DS9-related expansion that suggests that "she" was somehow hiding/withholding information from the rest of the Link, which is not supposed to be possible (and I'm sure that "she" had a hand in them continuing to think and say that).

Individuality, the root of all sin!

• Options
    It's also rough because, like, maybe if you separated some of them from the Link they could turn out like Odo.

Do they ever touch on whether they could just like, have a group who split off and started their own Link?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It's also rough because, like, maybe if you separated some of them from the Link they could turn out like Odo.

Do they ever touch on whether they could just like, have a group who split off and started their own Link?

A Romulan/Vulcan type split amongst the Founders at some point past, present, or future TNG would be a neat idea to explore.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

As individuals, they seem as subject to their upbringing as any solid. Odo is heavily oriented towards order and justice and that may be a biological trait, but he also refuses to employ lethal measures given any reasonable choice. The one time he encounters another of his wandering siblings, the guy turns out to be turning into just as much of prideful, stuck-up asshole as the Founders, up to and including killing solids out of convenience and thinking absolutely nothing of it; seems like he wasn't well-treated when "growing up", though. But that second changeling doesn't seem totally sold on the Founders either, and wants Odo to join him so they can form their own link.

The Founders certainly seem capable of change, they've simply been stuck in their unassailable we-are-superior philosophy so long that the only way to really get them to consider other options was to make it a literal life-or-death adapt-or-die choice. Not to mention that the Great Link gives every indication of being heavily addictive, like some kind changeling narcotic; they don't seem to need it at all to survive, but they resent being out of it and withholding it was a big piece of leverage over Odo. Even just with one other changeling in the Link, Odo really struggled with overcoming the appeal of the Link and retaining his own opinions and directives.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I wonder if they send off their offspring into the unknown specifically so they'll get treated horribly and return to the link and reaffirm the Founder's opinions on how solids are terrible.

• Options
    I feel like they do it more to find unconquered worlds within reach. Chuck the kids out into space, wait a thousand years, then go take over all the places that have been found bu don't look too strong. I dunno if they have any kind of doubt about how the kids will react to solids and vice versa, so I feel like they could just keep them around in the Great Link if they just want to brainwash them.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I feel like they do it more to find unconquered worlds within reach. Chuck the kids out into space, wait a thousand years, then go take over all the places that have been found bu don't look too strong. I dunno if they have any kind of doubt about how the kids will react to solids and vice versa, so I feel like they could just keep them around in the Great Link if they just want to brainwash them.

They don't need to do this to find conquerable worlds within reach. They have an entire space army. Also, the kids aren't sent to worlds within reach, they are sent into deep space to places that never even heard of the Dominion.

They do it to explore. Send out the kids into deep space, with a genetic need to return home, wait a thousand years, and they kids are back with experiences of dozens of new worlds they never heard of, and when they rejoin the Great Link these experiences become their experiences and it's like they spent a thousand years on those strange new worlds.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Well, that's the Founder's word, but how much you trust that, I don't know. This is a race that sends out "infants" blind just to see what would happen.

I'm not sure they're capable of lying in the Link. Obviously their personnel perceptions would color what Odo receives from them, but it was probably truthful aa far as they were concerned.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    They managed to keep information from Odo, leading to
    Odo mistaking Gowron for a changling.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    you mean the Saiyajin method?

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I actually found the justification for why the founders were so hateful to be pretty compelling. Imagine if DS9 never came into the possession of the Federation/Bajor had never been freed, and so Odo's entire experience was just a thousand years of Cardassia doing horrible Cardassian shit, or if he had landed in the Romulan empire, or with the Klingons. Living alone and powerless in any of these societies and viewing it as an outsider would give you a pretty horrible disposition towards these other races. You could easily see Odo's strong sense of justice getting warped into just general hatred and apathy if he wasn't given positive influences in his life like Kira and Sisko.

EDIT: And, of course, Lwaxana

Winky on
  • Options
    The irony of the Founders is that they live in constant fear of meeting solids that act exactly like they do, and are every bit as hateful, arrogant, and violent as they claim solids are.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    .... naaaaah.

How does the saying go....

If you meet an asshole, you've met an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long....you're the asshole!

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I always took the Founders to be a species that likely had a legitimate reason for turning inward and closing off from the rest of the universe. And who then, in their need to protect themselves so those terrible things never happened again, turned into the exact thing they hated in the first place.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    They managed to keep information from Odo, leading to
    Odo mistaking Gowron for a changling.

Yeah but it was also implied it was really hard to do and was more misdirection.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I always took the Founders to be a species that likely had a legitimate reason for turning inward and closing off from the rest of the universe. And who then, in their need to protect themselves so those terrible things never happened again, turned into the exact thing they hated in the first place.

I would have more sympathy for this if their main enemy in the story wasn't the Federation. Maybe that need to protect themselves explains the creation of the Dominion, but not its aggressive expansion.

It does make them even more of an anti-Federation than the Borg, though. Humans were traumatized by self-inflicted near-extinction, then managed to win a seemingly hopeless war with the Romulans. They used that victory to create a nation based on equality, empathy, and peaceful cooperation. The Founders were traumatized by a near-extinction, allegedly at the hands of solids, and managed to win that hopeless war. They used that victory to create a nation of slaves genetically engineered to believe they are gods.

Before they introduced the Borg Queen, the Collective was a force of nature more than anything else. You could no more call it evil than you could a hurricane. But the Dominion? If the Q Continuum ever decided to act like benevolent gods, they'd wipe it from existence.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I generally regard the Founders in light of at least their initial characterization, which was like Odo in that they had a really strong innate desire for order. Which in terms of characterization I think is a nice mirror to how completely without limits their lives can be given their shapeshifting abilities.

The Founders empire is just the same kind of thing Odo would do to the Promenade, writ large enough to cover the galaxy. On several occasions he basically mutters about them not letting him run the place like history's most controlling police state.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

I would have more sympathy for this if their main enemy in the story wasn't the Federation. Maybe that need to protect themselves explains the creation of the Dominion, but not its aggressive expansion.

It does make them even more of an anti-Federation than the Borg, though. Humans were traumatized by self-inflicted near-extinction, then managed to win a seemingly hopeless war with the Romulans. They used that victory to create a nation based on equality, empathy, and peaceful cooperation. The Founders were traumatized by a near-extinction, allegedly at the hands of solids, and managed to win that hopeless war. They used that victory to create a nation of slaves genetically engineered to believe they are gods.

Before they introduced the Borg Queen, the Collective was a force of nature more than anything else. You could no more call it evil than you could a hurricane. But the Dominion? If the Q Continuum ever decided to act like benevolent gods, they'd wipe it from existence.

The Borg Collective (pre-Queen) was more than a force of nature: it was a twisted reflection of the Federation. Locutus said it best in BoBW: the Collective seeks only to improve the quality of life for all species. Which is the same goal as the Federation! And like the Federation, the Collective is composed of a set of races unified in a single government and working together towards that greater good. People in the Federation and the Collective enjoy a post-scarcity lifestyle, better technology, medical improvements and implants for any impairment... except of course that the Collective has no respect for individual freedom or self-determination. Species join by force if they won't join peacefully, and individuals receive implants by force to improve all senses whether they want to or not.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I generally regard the Founders in light of at least their initial characterization, which was like Odo in that they had a really strong innate desire for order. Which in terms of characterization I think is a nice mirror to how completely without limits their lives can be given their shapeshifting abilities.

The Founders empire is just the same kind of thing Odo would do to the Promenade, writ large enough to cover the galaxy. On several occasions he basically mutters about them not letting him run the place like history's most controlling police state.

I think there's probably something to be said that Odo's formative experience in what law and societal control is being...

well, a mining camp orbiting a planet annexed by space nazis. He literally grew up under and operating an apparatus of the already existing fascist Cardassian state. Everyone's probably lucky he came out as well as he did, given the circumstances.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    The irony of the Founders is that they live in constant fear of meeting solids that act exactly like they do, and are every bit as hateful, arrogant, and violent as they claim solids are.

So they're American?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    The one moral precept that makes us all "human"

Do Unto Others Before They Do Unto You

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    The one moral precept that makes us all "human"

Do Unto Others Before They Do Unto You

Ah yes, Dracula's Golden Rule.

• Options
    grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

So they're American?

you forgot the word Nazi.

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »

So they're American?

you forgot the word Nazi.

The terms are closer than I would like.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    aww jeez "The Founders" are a for-all-intents-and-purposes mythical group who the subjects of the Dominion worship as gods whose ideas about what the dominion is for are considered paramount.

I'm now 100% confident there's a Vorta College Dominionist Society group dedicated to training conservative kids in trolling their more liberal classmates and reading Scalia for some reason

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Oof

too real

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    a
    Lanz wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

I think there's probably something to be said that Odo's formative experience in what law and societal control is being...

well, a mining camp orbiting a planet annexed by space nazis. He literally grew up under and operating an apparatus of the already existing fascist Cardassian state. Everyone's probably lucky he came out as well as he did, given the circumstances.

This definitely has to have played a part in it, but I do like shryke's point that Odo and the Founders may have some innate drive for order and control, both because it's kind of nifty on a meta level (it would be somewhat obvious to characterize shapeshifters as chaotic libertines) and also because it's been a consistent, recurring theme through every Star Trek show, from TOS through Discovery, that alien characters have this constant lowkey nature vs. nurture thing going on where their conscience/personal loyalty/duty/etc is tested by their biology.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Richy wrote: »

The Borg Collective (pre-Queen) was more than a force of nature: it was a twisted reflection of the Federation. Locutus said it best in BoBW: the Collective seeks only to improve the quality of life for all species. Which is the same goal as the Federation! And like the Federation, the Collective is composed of a set of races unified in a single government and working together towards that greater good. People in the Federation and the Collective enjoy a post-scarcity lifestyle, better technology, medical improvements and implants for any impairment... except of course that the Collective has no respect for individual freedom or self-determination. Species join by force if they won't join peacefully, and individuals receive implants by force to improve all senses whether they want to or not.

It's obvious why the show pivoted to this characterization for "The Best of Both Worlds" and onward (these thematic reasons, and also the body horror of assimilation) but I think it would be cool to see something explore the Borg (or a similar group) the way they were characterized in "Q Who," where they seem completely indifferent toward biology and purely want the Enterprise for the sake of its technology. Guinan even describes them as "the ultimate user."

So instead of wanting to benevolently spread their way of life, they're more just selfish end users constantly jonesing for the next upgrade and pushing forward out of fear of obsolescence (insert something about Apple here, I guess, lol).

This discussion has been closed.