As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We've got to slow down, in the [Terrace House]

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    episode 9
    holy shit, Yusuke just swooping in all smooth! is this the same poor boy that went on the saddest solo date ever two series ago? amazing

Let's take a moment to admire this post and reflect on the sad truth that yes, that was the same poor boy that went on the saddest solo date ever.

Episode ? Spoiler:
    His date with Haruka, where he takes her to a Music store, teaches her some chords, then just shreds for a bit? Yeahhhhhhhhh... that worked about as well as it did for 16 year old me after I learned baby's first 12 Bar Blues.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I've been saying for several seasons now how delighted I'd be if a wrestler showed up on Terrace House, and Hana Kimura has not let me down.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    episode 14
    my heart is breaking for Yusuke all over again. I really thought he had this one!

episode 15
    I don't like this Giuseppe guy. bad energy. plus he left his shoes on.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    episode 15
    I don't like this Giuseppe guy. bad energy. plus he left his shoes on.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK.
    Seriously though he is great, he single handedly saved the house from the boring place it had become and leaving his shoes on was totally a bit.

He has the effortless charm of a serial killer

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Peppe is great and I will hear no argument against him.

End of season 2
    And Haruka has really grown as a person. It's interesting to compare her at the start of the season to now.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    He has the effortless charm of a serial killer

At first I was totally wary of him, too, but he's actually a genuinely good boy. His Manga is also about exactly that, how Japanese folks assume he's a total sleazy lady killer but he's actually shy and friendly.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I was super turned off by Pepe at first, I thought he was way too "on" and trying too hard. But I'm on ep. 17 now and he's a super stand-up dude. I especially appreciate that he recognizes Ruka's immaturity and lack of self-confidence and is doing a really good job of supporting him without like, directly lecturing him or giving him dad advice.

Ruka needs to be lectured

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Ruka needs to be lectured

Ruka has been lectured multiple times up till now and none of it has sunk in. At least Pepe is teaching him how to cook a proper pasta, and without being incredibly condescending about it the way the girls have.

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited January 2020
    This is a nice little series of write-ups on the first 9 episodea of the series (so far) about some cultural things that happen in the show that may not be obvious to non-japanese.

Like Risako's possibly manufactured lisp and cute word choices that drop off when she gets in an argument.

Or Kenny's method of describing his type of woman.

Or why it's weird to not have tamago kake rice before you're 26.

https://medium.com/@terracehouseanalysis

Renzo on
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    Ruka is a lot
    and not to armchair psychology
    but
    he does give me those Executive Dysfunction Vibes the more i see of him, and his native/English language missteps make me wonder if he had struggles (esp. throughout school) that never got addressed. like, he is for sure immature, innocent, or naive in some ways, and it could just be i'm projecting, buuuuuut.

also Peppe is a pure, kind boy and a natural diplomat.

i want to like Haruka, but she continues to feel very two-faced or false; i think it's mostly body language, like the bared-teeth smile when bringing shit up with members, or the tight-lipped one when she's observing but not responding to a situation at hand. the latter would normally come across as reserved, but it's colored by her other behaviors. i did appreciate the self-awareness of her saying she's one-sided in conversation and expressing her thoughts. ... i did just recall she doesn't hang around girls or any people her age that much, so maybe she's still just bad at non-Car-Dude interpersonal relations.

lfchwLd.jpg
    Part 3 hits US Netflix today. In fact, it's probably already up?

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    And within the first ten minutes
    Haruka breaks my heart

So much turnover in the first two episodes.
    Had a chuckle at the couch comment that Kai had "interesting fashion style", in his "I'm a broke twenty-something from Arizona" attire.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Have they announced what is happening to the show going forward? Between the pandemic and the Tokyo Olympics getting delayed a year (which I only remembered from the opening credits) is the show still filming or did they go on hiatus early?

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    So I realize that standup is very much about trying things out and seeing what works and Kai is still young and finding his voice

but geez his routine sucks

Jimothy wrote: »
    So I realize that standup is very much about trying things out and seeing what works and Kai is still young and finding his voice

I had to fast-forward through his set because it was oppressively cringe-inducing.

I think that was the episode I stopped at (30?) and so far I'm very much not enjoying this current ensemble. I have my fingers crossed that everyone quickly pairs off and we get a full-reset, though the couch commentary has been great in Tokui's absence (really enjoyed having the Rugby player on).

Kai seems to throw out his entire first set pretty quickly, so you don't have to hear his take on salarymen after his first try with it.

As amendment to my previous post, Vivi can stay, everyone else can go.

I find Weirdly Calm Couple interesting to watch

Ryo is garbage

I find Weirdly Calm Couple interesting to watch

Ryo is garbage

I am a big fan of Tupas, actually. It's really great to watch his progression, he's got a super interesting story. And I really enjoy his relationship with Emmy, at least as much of it as I've seen. They just seem so relaxed and effortlessly into eachother. That is a welcome change to the show tbh.

Vivi fucking owns. I wasn't sure of her to begin with but it turns out she's amazingly emotionally mature.

I would not say that Hana is a favorite of mine, but her love life is unfortunately very similar to mine, right down to “is immediately very obviously interested in new member”

edited April 2020

yeah I had to skip through his sets, it was really bad

but like you said, this is exactly what 99% of new comic routines look like. i've gone to a lot of open-mic nights in LA, and just...woof

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited April 2020
    Like...
    "Hey salarymen, your life is so pointless why don't you kill yourselves?"
    is probably the most culturally inappropriate thing I've heard in a long long time

I wonder if he knows that like... they actually do

edit: other than that very bad joke I'm actually cool with Kai. I enjoy how he makes all the lady panelists swoon and he's also really supportive of his housemates.

#pipe on
    Ryo is garbage

In spite of his blatant "I'm totally fucking someone else, but I'd really like to fuck you too" with Vivi, I mostly appreciated Ryo's time on the show. However, I think he's a prime example of how the show's (current?) function as a marketing vehicle for various managed talent generally isn't to its benefit.

With someone like Ryo, there are too many external inhibiting factors to enable him as full participant in the house, as he was both exceedingly busy AND he had another public persona (as Team Captain Heartthrob) that seemingly superseded whatever motivations he had for joining the show. As much as the viewers only see a snippet of what's filmed, I imagine it's hard to derive meaningful dramatic entertainment if a participant is largely unavailable for filming. Like, dude was moving out and you realize he literally just had a duffel bag of clothes because he didn't actually live there.

I also genuinely didn't understand the attraction to him at all. Like even by Japanese male attractiveness standards he seemed only fine, and his personality never seemed like anything to write home about. I'm sure it can be explained in a way that makes sense, and I know being good at sports is a big draw for either gender (I know it is for me), but it still never really made any sense to me.

Yume is too precious and we as a society have a responsibility to save her from Boss

I’m actively rooting for The Kid Who Is Nothing because he seems like the only one who can stop Yume/Boss unless the panel goes rogue and intervenes

edited April 2020
    Shachou seems like such an immense sleazebag, just a terrible dork trying so hard to seem cool, flailing spitefully at the truth that cool can only be achieved without trying.

EDIT: Finished the set. That final convo between Yume and Shion made me hope Shion sticks around a bit and gets some shine.

metaghost on
    metaghost wrote: »
    Shachou seems like such an immense sleazebag, just a terrible dork trying so hard to seem cool, flailing spitefully at the truth that cool can only be achieved without trying.

EDIT: Finished the set. That final convo between Yume and Shion made me hope Shion sticks around a bit and gets some shine.

it's practically a meme at this point that they'll get some early-30s guy on who seems all cool and composed and put together, and by the end of his first episode he mentions how he's obsessed with boobs, loves younger women, and is nothing but bluff and bluster. The Boss probably isn't as bad as his first impression, but that kind of thing is definitely a running theme of the show. Luckily we can all look back on Han-san, who had plenty of chances to turn out to be a sleazebag but was consistently a total bro.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

it's practically a meme at this point that they'll get some early-30s guy on who seems all cool and composed and put together, and by the end of his first episode he mentions how he's obsessed with boobs, loves younger women, and is nothing but bluff and bluster. The Boss probably isn't as bad as his first impression, but that kind of thing is definitely a running theme of the show. Luckily we can all look back on Han-san, who had plenty of chances to turn out to be a sleazebag but was consistently a total bro.

The more I’ve watched this show, the more I’m convinced Han-san was a glitch in the show’s casting matrix that somehow made it to air and produced perhaps the best run of episodes in the show’s history.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    We’re just now catching up, we stopped back at episode 12 a while ago.
    Just got to the episode where Yusuke goes to see the fireworks? That’s right across the street from my apartment! We were at that fireworks show too! That was pretty cool.
    And like everyone has said before, Peppe is great. I thought he’d be obnoxious based on how he first spoke at the door, then he turned out to be a great conversationalist. That was a nice surprise.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Jesus that’s terrible. She seemed like such a wonderful person.

God this is so fucking awful, she was such a sweet and kind person. Fuck.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Tragic. I wish one of those people who had checked on her had tried to stay with her.

I wonder if this will make Yamachan stop being such an asshole

I honestly wonder if he feels responsible.

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    So my wife and I have been doing some reading around this whole thing and as long time fans, we are done with Terrace House.

Not going to flood this thread with some of the information coming out from old members, but I am of the opinion the show completely failed her and heavily contributed to this situation.