As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    There are actually a couple specifically left-handed variants, sinister versions of their dexterous counterparts. I know there's one for the Nightsky, and I think there might be one for the Black Knight as well.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The Battlemaster -1S is kind of a lefty; it removes the PPC and adds an LRM-15 in the left arm along with some other smaller launchers elsewhere.

B5oO81ih.jpg

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Trivia question! Are there any "left-handed" mechs?

I've noticed a lot of mechs have just one gun hand, and/or a "main gun" arm, and in ever case I can think of, it's always the right arm. The left arm never has a bigger gun than the right, at least not anywhere I can find.

Anyone?

The Dragon is left-handed in MWO in that it only has a left hand

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited December 2019
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I've noticed a lot of mechs have just one gun hand, and/or a "main gun" arm, and in ever case I can think of, it's always the right arm. The left arm never has a bigger gun than the right, at least not anywhere I can find.

Anyone?

Awesome is kinda that same way, if you think about it. And the Victor.

All Hail The Battle Fist!

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

Anyone?

by bigger weapon, off the top of my head the Trebuchet has an LRM and laser on its left arm vs. the twin lasers on the right.

if by actual big gun, the Zeus has its autocannon on the left and missile launcher on the right.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

Anyone?

Awesome is kinda that same way, if you think about it. And the Victor.

All Hail The Battle Fist!

Yeah this is precisely the issue. So's the Griffin, the Valkyrie, and basically any 'mech that only has a gun in one arm. Gun hand on the right, fist on the left. I was hoping to find something that was the other way around.
    by bigger weapon, off the top of my head the Trebuchet has an LRM and laser on its left arm vs. the twin lasers on the right.

if by actual big gun, the Zeus has its autocannon on the left and missile launcher on the right.

Nice! I hadn't thought to look for mechs with a missile launcher in the arm, although the Zeus' arms are roughly equal, neither is really a "main" gun, it just has two different main guns, but this gives me something to work with.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Someone made red "sensor blip" stand-ins and they're pretty great tbh
    Also I just spent almost $500 on stompy bots I'm wheezing but I'm happy. Almost bought more but I just couldn't talk myself into $30 for the reinforcement pack just for one more unique map.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Someone made red "sensor blip" stand-ins and they're pretty great tbh
    Also I just spent almost $500 on stompy bots I'm wheezing but I'm happy. Almost bought more but I just couldn't talk myself into $30 for the reinforcement pack just for one more unique map.

Even cooler is someone has the STL file so you can print your own.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Do the new books gives an actual height for Mechs or is still just vague

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Do the new books gives an actual height for Mechs or is still just vague

Tall enough to reach the ground.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, they continue to confound my engineering sensibilities by telling us "about that tall". Roughly four stories? Whose stories? Davion or Kuritan stories? Are we measuring in brutalist edifices or pagodas?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nips on
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    The Atlas is roughly the height of a 4 story building

kx3klFE.png
    So. I was digging through an old storage tote and, long story short, found a museum exhibit.
    0qdpbdxlgoxb.jpg
    5or1umzb90r7.jpg
    vuaur51inxv1.jpg
    cvql9rme653u.jpg

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    So, if you were gonna do a 3015-ish tech level Alpha Strike game of two companies (12 mechs each) using the mechs that came in CGL's previous Battletech Introductory Box Set (the one with the Atlas on the cover), how would you split them up?
    1. COM-2D Commando, 25 tons, movement: 6/9
    2. SDR-5V Spider, 30 tons, movement: 8/12/8
    3. JR7-D Jenner, 35 tons, movement: 7/11/5
    4. PNT-9R Panther, 35 tons, movement: 4/6/4
    5. ASN-21 Assassin, 40 tons, movement: 7/11/7
    6. CDA-2A Cicada, 40 tons, movement: 8/12
    7. CLNT-2-3T Clint, 40 tons, movement: 6/9/6
    8. HER-2S Hermes II, 40 tons, movement: 6/9
    9. WTH-1 Whitworth, 40 tons, movement: 4/6/4
    10. VND-1R Vindicator, 45 tons, movement: 4/6/4
    11. ENF-4R Enforcer, 50 tons, movement: 4/6/4
    12. HBK-4G Hunchback, 50 tons, movement: 4/6
    13. TBT-5N Trebuchet, 50 tons, movement: 5/8
    14. DV-6M Dervish, 55 tons, movement: 5/8/5
    15. DRG-1N Dragon, 60 tons, movement: 5/8
    16. QKD-4G Quickdraw, 60 tons, movement: 5/8/5
    17. CPLT-C1 Catapult, 65 tons, movement: 4/6/4
    18. JM6-S JagerMech, 65 tons, movement: 4/6
    19. GHR-5H Grasshopper, 70 tons, movement: 4/6/4
    20. AWS-8Q Awesome, 80 tons, movement: 3/5
    21. ZEU-6S Zeus, 80 tons, movement: 4/6
    22. CP-10-Z Cyclops, 90 tons, movement: 4/6
    23. BNC-3E Banshee, 95 tons, movement: 4/6
    24. AS7-D Atlas, 100 tons, movement: 3/5

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    So, if you were gonna do a 3015-ish tech level Alpha Strike game of two companies (12 mechs each) using the mechs that came in CGL's previous Battletech Introductory Box Set (the one with the Atlas on the cover), how would you split them up?

So Alpha Strike units have a PV cost, which you can look up on the Master Unit List

I've added them below:
    1. COM-2D Commando, 25 tons, movement: 6/9 PV: 17
    2. SDR-5V Spider, 30 tons, movement: 8/12/8 PV: 21
    3. JR7-D Jenner, 35 tons, movement: 7/11/5 PV: 26
    4. PNT-9R Panther, 35 tons, movement: 4/6/4 PV: 19
    5. ASN-21 Assassin, 40 tons, movement: 7/11/7 PV: 21
    6. CDA-2A Cicada, 40 tons, movement: 8/12 PV: 22
    7. CLNT-2-3T Clint, 40 tons, movement: 6/9/6 PV: 21
    8. HER-2S Hermes II, 40 tons, movement: 6/9 PV: 22
    9. WTH-1 Whitworth, 40 tons, movement: 4/6/4 PV: 25
    10. VND-1R Vindicator, 45 tons, movement: 4/6/4 PV: 27
    11. ENF-4R Enforcer, 50 tons, movement: 4/6/4 PV: 25
    12. HBK-4G Hunchback, 50 tons, movement: 4/6 PV: 28
    13. TBT-5N Trebuchet, 50 tons, movement: 5/8 PV: 29
    14. DV-6M Dervish, 55 tons, movement: 5/8/5 PV: 30
    15. DRG-1N Dragon, 60 tons, movement: 5/8 PV: 32
    16. QKD-4G Quickdraw, 60 tons, movement: 5/8/5 PV: 32
    17. CPLT-C1 Catapult, 65 tons, movement: 4/6/4 PV: 32
    18. JM6-S JagerMech, 65 tons, movement: 4/6 PV: 26
    19. GHR-5H Grasshopper, 70 tons, movement: 4/6/4 PV: 37
    20. AWS-8Q Awesome, 80 tons, movement: 3/5 PV: 39
    21. ZEU-6S Zeus, 80 tons, movement: 4/6 PV: 35
    22. CP-10-Z Cyclops, 90 tons, movement: 4/6 PV: 34
    23. BNC-3E Banshee, 95 tons, movement: 4/6 PV: 38
    24. AS7-D Atlas, 100 tons, movement: 3/5 PV: 52

Just going up and pairing high/low (Commando/Atlas team A; Awesome/Panther team B; etc), you get close to a 50/50 split, which you can correct for.

I'd do it this way:

Team A:
    - Commando
    - Spider
    - Assassin
    - Clint
    - Hermes II
    - Whitworth
    - Trebuchet
    - Dragon
    - Quickdraw
    - Zeus
    - Banshee
    - Atlas

Team B:
    - Panther
    - Cicada
    - Enforcer
    - JagerMech
    - Jenner
    - Vindicator
    - Hunchback
    - Dervish
    - Catapult
    - Cyclops
    - Grasshopper
    - Awesome

That's exactly split in half, 345 PV per side. Maybe swap around some of the ones that have the same PV.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Hey, thanks Tox.

Oh, incidentally, the Hermes II has its gun arm on the left arm and a fully actuated right hand.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Hey, thanks Tox.

Oh, incidentally, the Hermes II has it's gun arm on the left arm and a fully actuated right hand.

That is true, for both the Hermes, and the Hermes II! Technically this would work, as the left arm is definitely a "gun arm" and the right arm is a regular arm.

That said, technically this fails the test, as the actual weapon mounted in the left arm is, well, not the main gun
    A single Olympian Flamer is mounted in the left arm

edited January 2020
    Hey, thanks Tox.

Oh, incidentally, the Hermes II has it's gun arm on the left arm and a fully actuated right hand.

That is true, for both the Hermes, and the Hermes II! Technically this would work, as the left arm is definitely a "gun arm" and the right arm is a regular arm.

That said, technically this fails the test, as the actual weapon mounted in the left arm is, well, not the main gun
    A single Olympian Flamer is mounted in the left arm

Hah, yeah. I always forget the large, well-detailed arm gun on either Hermes is the anti-personnel weapon, and the little snub muzzle in their chest is supposed to be the anti-armor laser/long-ranged autocannon. It was an... interesting design decision by the art team.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Given that the Hermes only mounts that Flamer plus two MLs, I think you'd be forgiven for considering it a main gun. Not like it's packing a lot of firepower across the board, there.

The Hermes II, sure; it's got an AC/5 crammed into the torso.

And nice find, @Tox!

"Nips wrote: »
    nice find, Tox!

Right?

I'm ... contemplating donating them to the Oosik's museum of history. If one were to be interested in some ancient minis to deco.

I want someone to run a Battletech RPG except there'd be four or so Simulator Training missions, and at the end of those, the Lance members would come up with callsigns for each other, instead of people picking their own callsign

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    I want someone to run a Battletech RPG except there'd be four or so Simulator Training missions, and at the end of those, the Lance members would come up with callsigns for each other, instead of people picking their own callsign

It's truly the best way.

Signed,

Fruit Cup

(Soon to be Dumper :sad:)

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Fuselage wrote: »

It's truly the best way.

Signed,

Fruit Cup

Wait, callsigns can be changed?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

It's truly the best way.

Signed,

Fruit Cup

well when you're the one that gets assigned to take the shit bag out of the plane, what can ya do?

kx3klFE.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Re: left handed mechs

Does it count if the right hand has a melee weapon (hatchet/sword) and the left arm has a gun?

ex: the Shiro has a sword in the right hand and a LB-2X (or ERPPC for one variant) in the left arm

Betsuni wrote: »

It's truly the best way.

Signed,

Fruit Cup

My bastard co-workers are working on it, but it hasn't been ratified at a First Friday yet, so they can kick rocks.

Some name-based callsigns rarely change for years, but where there's a will there's a way. And not every aircraft or unit cares much for them. Helicopters care less, so only here at my second flying assignment do I have one.

Mech Jocks seem to care a lot more.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png

It's truly the best way.

Signed,

Fruit Cup

My bastard co-workers are working on it, but it hasn't been ratified at a First Friday yet, so they can kick rocks.

Some name-based callsigns rarely change for years, but where there's a will there's a way. And not every aircraft or unit cares much for them. Helicopters care less, so only here at my second flying assignment do I have one.

Thanks for the information. Sucks that your callsign can change, hopefully it won't since your other one is more interesting.

oosik_betsuni.png

It's truly the best way.

Signed,

Fruit Cup

Thanks for the information. Sucks that your callsign can change, hopefully it won't since your other one is more interesting.

They're just excited because the new callsign is a double-whammy of references to my relationships and colon health. Thanks!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    So they mentioned the exclusive posters, and one of the new ones is gonna be based on an ooooooold Battletech image:
    From this:
    kpgu8i6th70q.jpg
    to this:
    vjo5aikr1xag.jpg
    and yes, they said there will be desktop wallpapers incoming

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    So they mentioned the exclusive posters, and one of the new ones is gonna be based on an ooooooold Battletech image:
    From this:
    kpgu8i6th70q.jpg
    to this:
    vjo5aikr1xag.jpg
    and yes, they said there will be desktop wallpapers incoming

Always thought it a bit amusing that they actually redid all the artwork for the Japanese version of Battletech given the original source material and let's call it stubbornness about certain designs.

I even like several of those new designs, but it's certainly much more anime styling and would be right at home in an Armored Core game.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    edited January 2020
    The crazy thing is the Japanese-release alt designs were made for FASA by Studio Nue, the same crew that actually created Macross. They sure gave it a wildly different aesthetic compared to the original anime, but then you look at the villains' mecha from Macross 7 and realize that was kinda just their 'house style' by that time.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Yeah it took me quite a bit of digging to discover that's actually apparently a Shadowhawk. I found some others here
    The Locust is the only one that really still looks like the same mech:
    btech14.jpg

The Rifleman is the only one to me that just looks too far out there, and the Enforcer actually looks pretty good:
    btech13.jpg

Also the Thunderbolt has tits.

edited January 2020
    I'm not super enamored of a lot of those J-Battletech designs, but a few of them I really like. I've also tried hunting down if there were ever miniatures of them (there were not, AFAIK), but one third party studio did make one reminiscent of the J-Rifleman that I've been on the edge of acquiring.

J-Bat RFL
    btech19.jpg

Steel Warrior Studio's Arisaka
    ariska2_large.jpg?v=1554649253

Nips on
    I'm not super enamored of a lot of those J-Battletech designs, but a few of them I really like. I've also tried hunting down if there were ever miniatures of them (there were not, AFAIK), but one third party studio did make one reminiscent of the J-Rifleman that I've been on the edge of acquiring.
    J-Bat RFL
    btech19.jpg

Steel Warrior Studio's Arisaka
    ariska2_large.jpg?v=1554649253

It looks like they took the MWO design and tweaked it based on the JTech design

A few of the designs have a lot of potential. Like if you took those designs and gave them a Project Phoenix and/or MWO treatment, I bet they'd be great. The J-Hunchback makes me want an offset-cockpit mech with a BFG now. Like redesign the Hollander to look like that, pls (and also give me variants with every other 10+ ton weapon).

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    So I played Alpha Strike for the first time last night and liked it! It does a good job of making games run much faster and there's still an element of "Lol Battletech" once you start rolling for criticals which is good cause that element of random hilarity is a big part of what keeps me endlessly amused by tabletop. Two different mechs both got instagibbed by crits, one by the boxcar instagib and one by snakeyes ammo detonation. I also really like how heat is handled as it makes it so that you can have fun shooting away every turn with the Overheat mechanic there to replicate that feeling you get in some of the books where they describe just shooting like crazy and not caring about the heat. Also Standstill giving a -1 to shooting is my favorite thing ever. I wish regular TT had that.

I'm a little mixed on the unit cards. Some mechs seem to get improved by the translation to simple stats (my Griffin put in WORK) but I noticed that others end up kinda bland. Namely that different variants end up with near identical stats (see: Commandos) so some flavor gets lost. That's gonna happen though since there's only so much you can really do when trying to distill these things down to simple stats so nbd. I also wish masterunitlist spat them out in a more card like size so that I didn't have to photoshop them down to something usable.

All in all though the increased speed is really nice because the people I was playing classic with weren't as amused as I was with all the rolling and stat tracking, even with Flechs helping, but Alpha Strike makes it so that they can have fun with stompy robots without getting annoyed by how vanilla TT works. Which is good cause I'm gonna need people to play with when the fuckton of mechs from the Kickstarter to play with show up >_>

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Dice!
    puxyc8liz6lk.jpg
    Can't wait to see how the others look!

edited January 2020
    @TOGSolid

The AS rules treat Charges and DFAs the same way; they are declared in the Movement phase, only against a target that has already moved, and then are resolved in the Combat Phase alongside other kinds of attacks (e.g. Weapon and other Physical attacks).

From AS:CE pg. 46
    02ty6i6.jpg

@Tox
    Those are siiiiiick. Is it bad that I like the look of the Green Bird one the best? It fuckin' pops.

Nips on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Oh, I see what happened, I was reading just the DFA section and missed that preceding paragraph cause I'm used to Total Warfare being extra verbose. Womp womp.

On the plus side the way we played it is exactly how Alpha Strike says we should have so no harm no foul! I just went back to my Battletech Manual to double check targeting rules and used those which ended up being identical.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Dice!
    puxyc8liz6lk.jpg
    Can't wait to see how the others look!

Those are siiiiiick. Is it bad that I like the look of the Green Bird one the best? It fuckin' pops.

Yeah I'm definitely way more curious now about how the others will look. Exciting!

TOGSolid wrote: »
    Oh, I see what happened, I was reading just the DFA section and missed that preceding paragraph cause I'm used to Total Warfare being extra verbose. Womp womp.

On the plus side the way we played it is exactly how Alpha Strike says we should have so no harm no foul! I just went back to my Battletech Manual to double check targeting rules and used those which ended up being identical.

Yeah, that's actually one of the things I really like about AS: even though it's a streamlined set of rules, the logic follows on from the Classic rules in a very similar way.

I get your complaint about the vanilla-izing of a lot of a 'Mech's variants, I kinda share it. It helps to use some of the Special Pilot Abilities to emphasize certain variants' loadouts, and using alternate ammo when you have units that have the proper missile or autocannon special tags. It's not perfect, but adds some (rules) flavor back in for some 'Mech variants.