As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

help me find an alarm clock

CalicaCalica Registered User regular
I have four non-negotiable requirements:
  • No glowing display (or a display that can be turned off completely, not just dimmed)
  • Lets me use a custom alarm sound file (not a radio station)
  • Is not an app
  • Is not a smart speaker or other listening device

Nice to have, but not dealbreakers: adjustable snooze, analog clock face.

I'm at wit's end. There are hundreds of apps that do what I want, but I can't have my phone in my bedroom. It's too much of a temptation.

Halp?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Phew, that's tough. Really my first thought is your last gen phone with the data/wifi/distractions intentionally crippled. Even then that pretty much relies on your wifi pass not being memorized which isn't a thing that happens for me.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    You could use an FM clock/alarm radio and tune it to an FM frequency broadcasted by a nearby Raspberry Pi Zero W broadcasting an MP3 file of your choice on a continuous loop.

FM radio turns on at specified time, sound file of your choice is playing as a radio station. Voila!

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    How far away does your phone have to be?
    https://www.amazon.com/Soundfreaq-Sound-Rise-Classic-White/dp/B07BVVV6MT

this analog clock Bluetooth speaker, but you say "custom sounds" and not "custom songs" so I'm not sure if music is what you are looking for. I have no idea how well this thing works and how far the bluetooth signal will reach though. If you need to lock your phone in the basement, might not work. This would also work if you go through the trouble of creating a radio station though.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    How far away does your phone have to be?
    https://www.amazon.com/Soundfreaq-Sound-Rise-Classic-White/dp/B07BVVV6MT

this analog clock Bluetooth speaker, but you say "custom sounds" and not "custom songs" so I'm not sure if music is what you are looking for. I have no idea how well this thing works and how far the bluetooth signal will reach though. If you need to lock your phone in the basement, might not work. This would also work if you go through the trouble of creating a radio station though.

I don't really want to leave my phone plugged in all night either.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sounds like you're going to need to knock something up out of a Raspberry Pi Nano.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    schtasks.exe :rotate:

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Here's a customizable medical clock that might work, given your description:

https://smile.amazon.com/MedCenter-Interactive-Personalized-Reminder-Adapter/dp/B001DTYJ04

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Phew, that's tough. Really my first thought is your last gen phone with the data/wifi/distractions intentionally crippled. Even then that pretty much relies on your wifi pass not being memorized which isn't a thing that happens for me.

I use a flip phone from 2006 in airplane mode as my alarm clock. The battery lasts about 2 weeks, it automatically updates for DST by toggling airplane mode for a couple seconds, it's rugged enough to be fumbled off my end table, can do custom or at least selectable alarm sounds, and supports M-F and weekend alarms.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Can I just say, thanks for your question. Because I am tackling a similar problem, that seems like it should be far easier to solve than it is. My thought is: get old phone off a second-hand site, turn off all wifi/network communications.

There's stuff on Amazon if you look hard, but nothing from a brand you'd trust, only stuff with clearly faked reviews, which makes me nervous.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm curious what sounds you're trying to wake up too.
    My alarm clock fits most of your criteria aside from custom sounds, but it does have a number of white/nature noise settings that can be used as the alarm (as well as the standard alarm and radio station options).

I don't have the make/model on hand but if that's what you're looking for I can get it for you later.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I forget the policy on linking direct to products, but I was curious and googled "Mp3 alarm clock", and finding a ton on amazon for 15-40$, lots with full dimming options, the ability to add your own alarm noise via usb/blutooth, and tons of other options. ( I might get the one I'm looking at and I wasn't even needing a new alarm clock rofl)

edit: oo gradual volume settings! so alarm starts gentle and grows , instead of blasting you off the hop

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    see317 wrote: »
    I'm curious what sounds you're trying to wake up too.
    My alarm clock fits most of your criteria aside from custom sounds, but it does have a number of white/nature noise settings that can be used as the alarm (as well as the standard alarm and radio station options).

I don't have the make/model on hand but if that's what you're looking for I can get it for you later.

I used a progressive wake singing bowl alarm app for a while, and it was the least irritating thing I've found so far to wake up to (other than my circadian rhythm, which wakes me without fail between 12:30 and 1:30 pm if I let it).
    I forget the policy on linking direct to products, but I was curious and googled "Mp3 alarm clock", and finding a ton on amazon for 15-40$, lots with full dimming options, the ability to add your own alarm noise via usb/blutooth, and tons of other options. ( I might get the one I'm looking at and I wasn't even needing a new alarm clock rofl)

edit: oo gradual volume settings! so alarm starts gentle and grows , instead of blasting you off the hop

Huh. Maybe I've been using the wrong search terms. Thanks!

Calica on