As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2020 Forum Badges

kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge CreatorLondon UKRegistered User regular
edited October 2019 in PAX East
Wait hasn't West just finished? What I have to make the forum badge for PAX East 2020? Oh come on! I need my rest! sigh Fine! FINE! OK I get it, PAX East 2020 is really early, so early in fact that it is likely to be really cold. But whatever, let's get this thing DONE!

For the uninitiated the Forum Badge is an adult hand sized piece of card board that is held in a plastic sleeve that is worn during PAX East and West that identifies you as an active member of these very forums. We spend 5-6 months designing it prior to PAX East & West as a community resulting in something we all built together as a collective hive mind.

So without further ado, here are the three themes we are going to be considering for PAX East 2020 Forum Badge:

1) Dark Souls Theme (this was tried at West in 2019 but did not quite get over the line).
2) Avant-garde indie game theme (we could have some real fun with this by gently poking fun at some of the weird titles we now see)
3) Line Entertainment Bingo - Back of the badge will have a grid of typical things that happen and are said during a line at any PAX.

Please declare your selection to the themes above and we shall declare the winner on SUNDAY 24TH NOVEMBER 2019

Do choose carefully, for this thing will be dangling around your neck for 4 days as you march around BCEC skulking from the cold!

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

kropotkin on

• a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    i vote 3

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    i vote 3

I think that one is going to win in all honesty. The fun we can have filling out the grid alone will be worth it. Also, thanks for contributing to the thread.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    3, definitely 3.

• SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I vote 3. And maybe this year I will pick it up .. lol

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    these are all fun but yes, 3.

• a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    Sepioth wrote: »

i forgot mine last year and the year before haha.i get so overwhelmed with stuff i wana look at that i forget all about it.this time ill set an alarm on my phone.

• helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    I was all for 2 until I saw 3.

I'm going with 3

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Bryce PerryBryce Perry Registered User regular
    I’m torn between 1 and 3. But I’m gonna day 3

• MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    I don't want to be a bandwagoner... but it's not my fault I agree with everyone else.

Choice 3. All day.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• SatoruSatoru Registered User regular
    Voting for 1

• SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular

i forgot mine last year and the year before haha.i get so overwhelmed with stuff i wana look at that i forget all about it.this time ill set an alarm on my phone.

An alarm is a nice idea but I'll probably forget to set one just like EVERY YEAR i say I am going to get a forum badge . .EVERY YEAR I freaking forget..

Hey @kropotkin have any previous years ones lol

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular

An alarm is a nice idea but I'll probably forget to set one just like EVERY YEAR i say I am going to get a forum badge . .EVERY YEAR I freaking forget..

Hey @kropotkin have any previous years ones lol

maybe set an alarm for when you're out for food? kind of a "oh hey while you're out already stop and pick up the badge first"? Or hope your friends can help remind you if you go with friends?

I almost forgot mine for West 2017. I showed up in my wedding dress and picked up my forum badge (got married the day before PAX; totally planned it that way). Legit felt like I was in costume.

48vla9t2j9ff.png
    helen0rz wrote: »

I almost forgot mine for West 2017. I showed up in my wedding dress and picked up my forum badge (got married the day before PAX; totally planned it that way). Legit felt like I was in costume.

I mean honestly you could probably pass that off as a Princess Peach cosplay :D

• BarkBark Registered User regular
    I am joining in for #3. Thanks as always for doing this!

sl1ao1t19fl8.png
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I'm in for #2. I think you could do some really fun stuff with that.

• jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    I would love to see a 2 from your perspective kropotkin, but the forum meta game in 3 is a strong candidate....
    Uh...
    I vote 2, but only to balance the scales!

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    I like 3 a lot haha!

Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'm gonna vote for 3.

edit: phrasing.

SutibunRi on
  • Tristan3Tristan3 Registered User regular
    I really like #3!

Apologies for not responding to this thread with a result, but I think it's safe to say Option #3 won it with a land slide. Expect to see mock ups very soon for us to manipulate and add to.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

The voting was fixed I tell ya :snap:

I have now created an outline concept for the front of the PAX East forum badge, and it looks like this:
    pd7o128bf196.png

As for the back, I'm going to need your help. I have created a set of likely and not so likely events that will happen while people are standing in a line for a panel or anything else. Please let me know what you think of what I have come up with so that I can include it in the final design:
    rcqa2409vuts.png

Oh and apologies for the UK English spelling; I'll make it US English spelling if people prefer. Quick tip, we British really don't use 'z' much...

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

This is a great start! I have notes and suggestions but as I’m at PAXU right now I don’t have time. Will get back to you this week, if that’s not too slow to be helpful.

ilta wrote: »
    This is a great start! I have notes and suggestions but as I’m at PAXU right now I don’t have time. Will get back to you this week, if that’s not too slow to be helpful.

No that's fine, we have the whole of January to settle on the design

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    I like all three ideas but 3 sounds like something people can have some fun with. Anything to pass some time in lines, even if I personally would probably never be in a line to use it.

NSw0gum.png
    The spoilers look super awesome

• EchoZeroEchoZero Registered User regular
    Badge is looking great so far! Always appreciate your hard work on this kropotkin!

• jasonakaramjasonakaram NHRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I especially like “You are deafened by an enforcer . . . but, if it were me, I’d change it from “as they try to organize the line” to “ as they attempt to compress you”. :) just my 2 cents. Mad respect for the enforcers btw, but they are forever trying to compress me lol

jasonakaram on
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    So if I fall asleep in line can I count that as the “some is a sleep in the line”, as well =D

• RyosukeRyosuke Registered User regular
    Number 3 was a good choice, questions so far are accurate lol. Thinking of what else... Probably pin trading of some sort or eating in line, possibly enforcers or individual entertaining us in line. Either way, all good. Thanks for what you do, always.

Ok, I totally forgot that I had notes, but here they are:

- in general, this text is going to be REALLY SMALL, which will hamper enjoyment. turn these into headlines, with all connecting words cut out. For instance, instead of "someone is cosplaying as something you do recognize" try "cosplay you recognize". Others can be reduced to frequent quotes, like ""fill gaps in the line"", for the sake of variety.
    - Speaking of variety, there are also a lot of really similar items, like people playing videogames on various specific devices (condense to mobile and DS only, and perhaps even less than that, to just portable videogames), and "line stuff" is wildly overrepresented. Think of other, non-line things that are typical PAX experiences: a raffle blocking traffic, a professional cosplay photoshoot, a pin trade going down, Jerry/Mike sighting, etc. These could also happen in lines, of course, but don't ONLY happen there.

Those are the big ones, will save further wordsmithing and design thoughts for after that pass goes through. Thanks as always for all the work you put into this!

Ok, I totally forgot that I had notes, but here they are:

- in general, this text is going to be REALLY SMALL, which will hamper enjoyment. turn these into headlines, with all connecting words cut out. For instance, instead of "someone is cosplaying as something you do recognize" try "cosplay you recognize". Others can be reduced to frequent quotes, like ""fill gaps in the line"", for the sake of variety.
    - Speaking of variety, there are also a lot of really similar items, like people playing videogames on various specific devices (condense to mobile and DS only, and perhaps even less than that, to just portable videogames), and "line stuff" is wildly overrepresented. Think of other, non-line things that are typical PAX experiences: a raffle blocking traffic, a professional cosplay photoshoot, a pin trade going down, Jerry/Mike sighting, etc. These could also happen in lines, of course, but don't ONLY happen there.

Those are the big ones, will save further wordsmithing and design thoughts for after that pass goes through. Thanks as always for all the work you put into this!

These are interesting points as they encompass the whole of PAX while I was assuming this would be used in lines/queues only. By expanding it to beyond lines we can be more dynamic, which is a good thing!

In light of this idea I have revised the bingo card to look like this:
    3ocxvdo0pxp9.png

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• BCBarneyBCBarney Registered User regular
    I love it!

edited January 2020
    love it! could still lose some words here or there (a lot of "someones"), and perhaps use all that white space to make the font a bit bigger, but this would totally work as is! love the expansion into other typical PAX things, beyond line stuff.

one last redundancy: pokemon game and mobile game. maybe lose one and replace with complaints about the food prices?

ilta on
  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    one last redundancy: pokemon game and mobile game. maybe lose one and replace with complaints about the food prices?

In the interest of bingo being bingo, I would actually elect to lose mobile game in this case and keep Pokemon on a Game Boy given it's "rarer" but still common enough at PAX. Can't make the game too easy, now can we?

100% on board with the food prices complaints being a replacement. That's just genuine PAX.

erdub14zr3u2.png

Thank you for your feedback everyone. I have now created the back of the badge with the bingo card on it. It looks like this:
    or9zrntwpigh.png

As you can see the text has been abridged somewhat due to the limitations on the size of the badge we have. Let me know what you think!

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Tap Master CTap Master C Registered User regular
    Looks great, kropotkin! Can't wait to add this badge to my collection!

PAX East 2013 Omeganaut

Hmm... I seem to have misplaced my signature...
    this is so, so great. one last note: it's "observant" (unless it's different in britain?).

That looks awesome can’t wait to get mine this year

• JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    Love the way it looks! I hope to get another this year!