As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'd try elementary if you want something that's so macOS that it's practically criminal.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Seconding lubuntu.

Yeah, of the two, I much prefer LXDE over XFCE. It provides a more standard desktop experience compared to XFCE, in my opinion.

I was trying to think of some DEs that provide more of a OSX feel if you're looking to replicate that, but I think a distro with gnome3 (e.g. Fedora) with some choice extensions or Ubunut's Unity is the best way to go there. I think either should still be more than fine on an i5, though.

LXDE is still one of the better, and better known, lightweight DEs though so I would still recommend it if you're at all worried about performance.

Ok for the i5? Yeah.

For 4gig of RAM though? I wouldn't recommend gnome 3.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Seconding lubuntu.

Yeah, of the two, I much prefer LXDE over XFCE. It provides a more standard desktop experience compared to XFCE, in my opinion.

I was trying to think of some DEs that provide more of a OSX feel if you're looking to replicate that, but I think a distro with gnome3 (e.g. Fedora) with some choice extensions or Ubunut's Unity is the best way to go there. I think either should still be more than fine on an i5, though.

LXDE is still one of the better, and better known, lightweight DEs though so I would still recommend it if you're at all worried about performance.

Ok for the i5? Yeah.

For 4gig of RAM though? I wouldn't recommend gnome 3.

Oh, yeah, that's fair...I wouldnt want to try that unless I had at least 8gb

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Ubuntu 19.10 is out, and I am now trying to balance the urge to tinker and get new stuff with the apprehension of dicking with a serenely stable and working system.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I'd strongly recommend Xubuntu over Lubuntu - the last version of Lubuntu I tried (probably 19.04) was a mess and Xubuntu is in my opinion just as user friendly at this point and doesn't look like ass.

I discovered youtube-dl and now I am just the happiest puppy in the biggest yard full of exciting smells

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    I'd strongly recommend Xubuntu over Lubuntu - the last version of Lubuntu I tried (probably 19.04) was a mess and Xubuntu is in my opinion just as user friendly at this point and doesn't look like ass.

Yeah. I strongly prefer xfce to LXDE, and it tends to be packaged up better.

a5ehren wrote: »

Yeah. I strongly prefer xfce to LXDE, and it tends to be packaged up better.

Also, the last three releases of Lubuntu apparently don't use LXDE but LXQt, which is probably why I had problems with it.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Ubuntu 19.10 installed with root ZFS!

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    My understanding is that there's not much value in ZFS for the casual home user such as me, yes? It's more of a srsbsns thing?

Everything is srsbsns.

Ubuntu 19.10 boots a little slow but other than that I love it

So my audiobooks collection having ballooned to >30Gb, I decided it's eating an unjustifiable percentage of the boot drive (500Gb EVO 970). I still had the Intel 120Gb SSD (that absolutely revolutionised my PC) back in 2010 sat in my parts box gathering dust, so what the heck, might as well get use out out it rather than spend money.

2010-era 120Gb SATA 1 SSD installed. I used the Gnome Disks utility like a normal person and it was reformatted and automounted in like 3 minutes instead of taking half a day to work shit out like last time, so that was a plus.

I know this shouldn't surprise me but it kind of did anyway, perhaps because I still remember being absolutely amazed at how fast it was when I rebuilt my PC back in 2010, but hooo boy this thing is not as quick as the NVMEs. I mean it's fine, it's wholly dedicated as storage for e-books and audiobooks so it could literally read at 1Mb/s and still serve it's intended purpose flawlessly, but I'd rather got used to my drive operations being like:
    "Hmm I think I'll move this *select* 30Gb audiobooks folder to a new directory *click* on the other NVME drive, the -"

PC: OK done.

" -boot drive is kinda filling up. Oh. Well then. Good. Thank you."

This time it took about 4-5 minutes.

NB: The 120Gb Intel SSD cost ~£220 new IIRC, about 50% more than my Samsung 500Gb EVO did in 2018, and twice what the 1Tb Sabrent did in 2019, not counting inflation. O Brave New World...

PS: I like that my PC has an actual physical solid state hard drive purely dedicated to holding books.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    https://www.windowslatest.com/2019/11/06/microsoft-edge-is-officially-coming-to-linux-soon/

Bizarre, this new Microsoft is... Even though it's basically just Chromium... :surprised:

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Windows Defender too, apparently.

I gather that the reason is that if you want to supply cloud resources to certain... large purchasers then you have to be able to certify that you run antivirus scans at x frequency from y list of approved AV software.

Likewise the Edge thing is all about corporate intranet site compatibility and box-checking.

edited November 2019
    Do any of you guys have a solution you’re using to get hardware video decoding in a browser? I know there’s that patched version of Chromium but last time I checked it wasn’t working with nvidia drivers.

august on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Proton has really impressed me.

Friendly reminder that as you play stuff with Proton, be sure and fill out entries on protondb.com

Super handy resource when purchasing games, but only as handy as the information being put into it. Thankfully it takes very little time (like maybe 20 seconds) to fill out an entry as they want very little information from you.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Anyone had any experience with using crostini to run Linux applications on a Chromebook?

I kind of want a small, lightweight laptop but they seem thin on the ground except for Chromebooks

There's always the option to dual boot or totally replace chromeos with a full fledged Linux desktop but both of those options seem like kind of a pain relative to crostini

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    The Surface Go might be another option to look at. Keyboard isn’t the best, and the camera has issues in Linux, but the iPad form factor is kind of incredible.

Hmm, that's an option I hadn't considered

The various accounts I've read online suggest that the tablet interface for most distros don't work fantastically

I had been thinking about one of Acer Spin models

I don't know much about crostini but if you go for a full Linux install you'll want to make sure that your device is fully supported by this firmware.

Well, ordered a Samsung Chromebook plus

Will report back

edited December 2019
    Ran updater to upgrade from Ubuntu 19.04 to 19.10

It ran super smoothly, didn't report any errors and the whole thing took about 15-20 minutes.

Issues: No sound output! Also the settings icon disappeared! I googled "Ubuntu no sound", and it seems that it's not an unknown problem. However the recommended fixes (force-restart alsa, uninstall & reinstall pulseaudio then force-restart alsa) didn't work.

Since I'm a GUIboi at heart, I decided that the best thing to do would to be gimme back my settings menus.

sudo apt install gnome-control-center

Looked at Sound Settings, and whaddya know? The upgrader decided that my sounds should go to the HDMI output (I have 2 screens via Displayport; they do not have speakers). Reset output to 'analog 2.1' and now all is well.

The system responsiveness feels snappier, especially the file manager. Kernel is updated to 5.3.0-24. Everything else is pretty much untouched.

EDIT: RAM usage seems to be lower than it was in 19.04, and I mean quite a bit lower. Well I don't care, I'm still pleased to have 32Gb. I'm a child of the 90s as far as PCs are concerned, and "You can never be too rich, too slim or have too much RAM" is what I grew up with and what I still believe.

V1m on
    Clarification: I am neither rich nor slim.

edited December 2019
    I have 64GB but I also emulate a homelab dc on the machine.

More ram is always better

Seidkona on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Not sure if I should ask here or the sysadmin thread...

I've got a Ubuntu droplet running an IRC bot that logs channels. Every 24h I'd like to schedule the upload of the day's log files to my webserver (some variety of CentOS on a shared hosting plan?), to a folder that can only be accessed by logged in users of the site (and if possible, verify the successful transfer and then delete the old files). And preferably I'd like this set up so there's as little as possible for script kiddies to exploit. There's nothing valuable but I don't wanna leave the door open anyway.

But uh, I'm still very much at the "follow step by step instructions for everything" stage of Linux use, and I'm not really familiar with Ubuntu at all (I learned on CentOS years ago). So if anyone's got some guidance on scheduling tasks and not broadcasting plaintext ftp passwords to the internet I would be super appreciative.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    I'd use crontab for the file transfer script, and I'd exchange SSH keys so that you can have the script use scp or lsync or rsync without requiring password authentication.

Also set up a user on your webserver beforehand that's specifically for this operation and literally has permission to access nothing else. Use its ssh key and have your script authenticate with that username.

Crossposting this from the SE++ Jobs thread if you guys will indulge me:

I have no college degree and I’m starting to get older and probably shouldn’t work behind a counter for too much longer.

I’m reasonably technically inclined and have enjoyed using and troubleshooting Linux as a desktop over the last ten years or so. I'm reasonably comfortable with a command line. Probably the most technical stuff I’ve done is learn how to use apt-pinning to pull down newer versions of packages so I could build Aleph One from source on a Debian stable system.

I got an ITPro.TV subscription and I'm excited to start working on some certifications - but I'm not sure where to get started, or what my end goal is. I like Linux but I'm not necessarily looking to work in it exclusively - I'm just looking to make more money off my mind than my body going forward. I'd like to work remotely or part-time to start with, but that may not be realistic. I currently live in NYC. Anyone got any suggestions?

In NYC I gotta believe you can find something that's linux-specific. @Seidkona has had a lot of experience with DevOps and that might be a direction to consider.

I'm a linux sysadmin, I basically install/maintain our servers, applications, workstations, printers, etc, but everything is linux. That's a bit of a unicorn, but administrating linux servers isn't. If you just look for "Linux Administrator" in job searches, you will find results, just not necessarily in NYC.

If you're looking for more non-linux advice on this front, I'd hit the sysadmin thread.

What certifications do you think I should aim for, out of the gate? I'm kind of just an end user who probably knows just enough to get himself in trouble at the moment. Like: I sort of know what port forwarding is, but not really. I should probably do some kind of networking cert to get started I think.

japan wrote: »
    Well, ordered a Samsung Chromebook plus

Will report back

So this finally turned up. I belatedly realised that the site I'd ordered from was a Hong Kong grey market importer and not the UK retailer it gave the impression that it was, so it took nearly a month to arrive.

That aside, I like it a lot. Once you enable crostini you get a terminal from which you can use apt to install applications, including a package manager should you so desire. Installed applications appear in the launcher alongside chromeos and android apps with very little distinction.

Libreoffice works fine, and cooperates with the (android) dropbox integration. I installed the x2go client and can use that to work on my main desktop from the couch.

Haven't played about a lot with trying to use the touchscreen and stylus with linux applications. One aspect I did notice is that linux application windows don't accept swipe scrolling, they instead interpret it as a click and drag. Not sure if there's a way around that without actually installing a full blown desktop environment.

Work have issued us Surface laptops for emergency WFH.

Let's just say that after an hour of dealing with W10's shit, I feel that the decision I made in 2018 has been strongly validated.

I hope I can at least turn off the Hellspawned fucking adverts.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

You can turn off anything you find objectionable from there.

edited April 2020
    What certifications do you think I should aim for, out of the gate? I'm kind of just an end user who probably knows just enough to get himself in trouble at the moment. Like: I sort of know what port forwarding is, but not really. I should probably do some kind of networking cert to get started I think.

@august

Still looking for answers?

There are a lot of routes to go here but the redhat certs are sort of gold standard.

They even have Ansible stuff in the newest track.

Picking up a cert in a CM tool like Puppet ( :heartbeat: ) or Chef would be very beneficial to you for your career.

Getting AWS or GCE certified is also good as most cloud jobs are really Linux jobs with some fancy hypervisor+infra tricks.

How I missed this before I have no idea This has been an insane year, sorry.

Seidkona on

This shit shouldn't even be needed.

FIVE (5) reboots later, the updating has completed.

Start menu cleansed of adverts
    Firefox & privacy/adblock plugins installed.
    Nagging to setup a 'Microsoft account' deftly evaded
    Nagging to set up on Teams is still an issue

I'm just gonna say it all took a lot longer and a lot more work just to set up than it took me to install Ubuntu 18.04 scratch (that took about 45 minutes). W10 seems to take a positive delight in getting in my way by comparison.

Seidkona wrote: »

This shit shouldn't even be needed.

My outrage and disgust is somewhat mitigated by having a £1300 laptop to play with >.>

Also the mystical all Linux all the time jobs do exist.

I haven't touched windows in 3 jobs.