As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    For those of you who still play MWO, major sale going on right now, all mechs and mech bays 50% off.

Picked up an IV-Four, WLF-2, FLE-17, and a SMN-D (I like my WHM-9D poptart and want to see how the Clan version works out).

I'm hoping that I can get an Oosik Night in this week since it is my first week back at work and I'm sure I'll need some mech action by then. How long is the sale on for? As in, can I wait till Thursday to pick some stuff up or should I go ahead and log in quick to do some purchases?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    For those of you who still play MWO, major sale going on right now, all mechs and mech bays 50% off.

Picked up an IV-Four, WLF-2, FLE-17, and a SMN-D (I like my WHM-9D poptart and want to see how the Clan version works out).

I'm hoping that I can get an Oosik Night in this week since it is my first week back at work and I'm sure I'll need some mech action by then. How long is the sale on for? As in, can I wait till Thursday to pick some stuff up or should I go ahead and log in quick to do some purchases?

It ends the 14th so you should be good

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    MW5: What's the point of black markets? They usually only have 0 level weapons?

camo_sig2.png
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Also, I found and purchased the Hero variant of the Wolverine. Overall a cool mech, but I feel like its arm gets blown off on almost every mission. The arm is where most of the weapons are at...gets a bit expensive to field it. Looking at its in-game model, the gun is huge and probably makes it more likely to be hit. Might have to shelve it.

camo_sig2.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

Black markets just give expanded inventory compared to your typical conflict zone planet.
    Also, I found and purchased the Hero variant of the Wolverine. Overall a cool mech, but I feel like its arm gets blown off on almost every mission. The arm is where most of the weapons are at...gets a bit expensive to field it. Looking at its in-game model, the gun is huge and probably makes it more likely to be hit. Might have to shelve it.

This is the problem I'm having in my hero Highlander. One arm field triple medium pulse lasers (has been blown off every other mission), the other arm fields a gauss rifle (gets blown off whenever the pulse laser arm doesn't get blown off). In my last story mission (had 3 other people help out), both of my Highlanders (hero and the HGN-732B) lost both arms and racked up a 1.5-2mil repair bill cost.

Incidentally, this is why I buy up every gauss rifle and medium pulse laser I find.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

I believe they give you a wider selection of items than normal warzone shops. You usually have to go to an industrial system shop to get more items.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    It does feel like the AI aims for your weapons. Which I guess is smart, but very annoying.

Seemed like the RT was always the first thing to go when I take my Hunchbacks out

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Arms are lowly armored and tend to take damage before side torso’s (because any twisting tends to present them more) so they tend to fall off. The non-gun arms of my hero wolverine tends to the ones that get damaged as an example.

Though the AI tends to lose arms because allies shoot them off. (Enemy AI might also target weapons/damaged components)

wbBv3fj.png
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Arms are lowly armored and tend to take damage before side torso’s (because any twisting tends to present them more) so they tend to fall off. The non-gun arms of my hero wolverine tends to the ones that get damaged as an example.

Though the AI tends to lose arms because allies shoot them off. (Enemy AI might also target weapons/damaged components)

From what I've seen, friendly fire is disabled when it's coming from AI controlled friendly mechs. Although, I haven't looked particularly close to friendly AI vs. friendly AI hits, friendly AI shooting the player character doesn't result in damage.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I think it is, I didn't realize how often my teamates were shooting me until I gave them PPC's and my hud would go all wonky. I don't think I noticed any dmg.

It's just hard to tell if it hit or if it was a close shot as i think the wonky hud effect still occurs in both scenarios.

Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah I think it is, I didn't realize how often my teamates were shooting me until I gave them PPC's and my hud would go all wonky. I don't think I noticed any dmg.

It's just hard to tell if it hit or if it was a close shot as i think the wonky hud effect still occurs in both scenarios.

If you just hear the whoosh and get the HUD scramble, it was just a close shot. If you hear a clanging accompanied by the HUD scramble, you got hit. Also, walking to the area in 3rd-person camera and seeing your back get roasted by 4 PPC shots is a dead giveaway :P

edited January 2020
    Erlkönig wrote: »

From what I've seen, friendly fire is disabled when it's coming from AI controlled friendly mechs. Although, I haven't looked particularly close to friendly AI vs. friendly AI hits, friendly AI shooting the player character doesn't result in damage.

Friendly fire is disabled when its coming from AI controlled mechs into you. It is not disabled when coming from friendly AI controlled mechs into other friendly controlled mechs

Anywho i did a big ol update of "my" weapon spreadsheet. I added some notes on how weapons behave. What kind of spread means what. Etc. I put up a bunch of different time to kill 100 HP values for different assumptions (compensated tonnage/number of weapons, etc). And i added a heat workshop with what i believe are proper heat numbers so you can add all those weapons to your AI mechs and see if they're going to heat out.

edit: You must make a copy of the spreadsheet in order to use the heat workspace

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Battletech: my last career path resulted in the bullshark finally getting unlocked. By the end of my career I had three thumper variants and one lrm boat version. Triple thumpering enemies outside line of site and killing or crippling an entire lance before they even get to engage is just wonderful!

"I see everything twice!"

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Battletech: my last career path resulted in the bullshark finally getting unlocked. By the end of my career I had three thumper variants and one lrm boat version. Triple thumpering enemies outside line of site and killing or crippling an entire lance before they even get to engage is just wonderful!

Nice. Could you or someone put in spoilers what the path to that unlock is? In my current career I feel like I did the flashpoint that should have moved me in that direction, but then I haven't seen a follow up in like 400 days of game time...?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I don't know for sure the route, but I definitely started seeing Bull Shark parts in some stores (and presumably the Black Market, which I avoided this career) once I had mine from the Flashpoint. So it's likely just a matter of scouring Space Amazon for the best deals.

Speaking of, I wish you could burn some (short) time in a system to send a request to nearby systems for their store listings. Having to actually travel to a system to see its store (without a damn good reason for it to be obfuscated) is dumb and annoying. We have Space Ma Bell for a reason, damnit!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    edited January 2020
    But how do you get to the flashpoint that gets you one in the first place?
    I did the first derelict space ship flashpoint. But I haven't seen a follow up to it available, or didn't recognize it as the follow up.

EDIT: Found it. It was hiding under a black market icon. :)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Yeah, it should be easy to follow. Each leg of the campaign starts with a pop-up text box, and the system of note gets a special blue-ish highlight.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Once you get headshot mastery called shot mastery on multiple pilots it gets comical how often you start killing pilots immediately. I've only just gotten there, amusing how well clouds of LRMs work for it too, particularly in a missle boat with bonus clustering.

I am unclear on one aspect though. Can enemy cockpits not be one shot either? A few times now they've been left with 1 structure on it, and I assume that means they need to be hit by at least 2 shots, which I believe is true for player pilots?

Marauder has a called shot bonus, so I get a 35% chance for a head shot with my AC20, which is an instant kill.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    When you unlock a mech in career, is it then unlocked for all subsequent careers or do you need to unlock them each time? I suppose the latter would make more sense, but I like the idea of them showing up in battles earlier on, potentially.

Are you the magic man?
    Frei wrote: »
    When you unlock a mech in career, is it then unlocked for all subsequent careers or do you need to unlock them each time? I suppose the latter would make more sense, but I like the idea of them showing up in battles earlier on, potentially.

You need to get them in each career.

The Heavy Metal DLC, though, has seriously shortcutted getting more and heavier mechs early at stores and especially if you can get access to the black market if that appeals to you.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Oy, the Black Market. I'm at least satisfied that the Black Market makes some amount of lore sense, having played through the Heavy Metal campaign.

Granted, it's not a lot of sense, and it's some high-grade bullshit from a canon perspective, but at least it makes a thin rationale for it.

I think it would have been more fun if it'd been something like the Hanseatic League; at least then it would have had stronger ties back to canon.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Is there a need for a black market though? I mean not in game terms, but lore terms. I'm not certain anyone limits or regulates the sale of anything in the Inner Sphere/Periphery. Well I imagine the Capellan's do, but I think for pretty much everywhere else as long as you've got the C-Bills you can buy whatever you want.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Is there a need for a black market though? I mean not in game terms, but lore terms. I'm not certain anyone limits or regulates the sale of anything in the Inner Sphere/Periphery. Well I imagine the Capellan's do, but I think for pretty much everywhere else as long as you've got the C-Bills you can buy whatever you want.

It's not that all the stuff is illegal to own or use, it's just it was stolen in the first place.

Mirkel wrote: »

It's not that all the stuff is illegal to own or use, it's just it was stolen in the first place.

Who'd even know or care? Unless you had the brass balls to try to sell it back to the people you stole it from.

Planets don't really talk to each other and certainly not the Houses.

If I've a cargo ship full of boosted Capellan mech parts to sell I don't think the Lyran military will give a shit where they came from. They'll just slap some Steiner blue on em.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    That's why it's based on pirate rep, even though it mentions others being involved. It's mostly pirates stealing stuff to sell on the black market.

edited January 2020
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not seriously arguing this. I'm just thinking way too hard about the logistics of it all.

Like, when you buy Mechs/Parts do you also receive a Certificate of Authenticity? If so where do they come from?

What about Battlefield Salvage? Do you have to fill out and turn in a dozen different forms in order to get legal ownership?

Who even keeps track of all this? ComStar? I mean if anyone could I suppose.

edit- Dammit, now I need a Battletech Bureaucrat Simulator.

edit 2- There is an entire world of bureaucratic paperwork out there that we know nothing about and I demand satisfaction!

Axen on
    edited January 2020
    I had some incorrect heat numbers of my worksheet. So you should either change the heat sink values to .1, .2 or you should re-copy my spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Oy3FUWvs-VGAu23OM2AMp_5QO-xq6VDHos9bX5L74dM/edit?usp=sharing

Someone else (Onebit on reddit) made another very good calculator which does more or less what mine does but better. It doesn't compare across weapons as well but will let you choose a mech, fit it out, and give you its max alpha strike damage, its max effort firing time, and you can choose your mech to get its weapon slots and available tonnage

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16v5O7o8ok66V1A5xvVcXjUjkTkGtQWfiJyzsDeb5LuE/edit?usp=sharing

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edit 2- There is an entire world of bureaucratic paperwork out there that we know nothing about and I demand satisfaction!

Boy howdy, is there!

Come, join me in the greatest joy known in the Battletech universe:

Pushing Paper

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Random question is it Night J-eye-er or Night Guy-er? Or Night Jir? Or Night Grr?
    follow up is it gift or jif?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Night Gear

wbBv3fj.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

Boy howdy, is there!

Pushing Paper

I actually googled it to see if it existed.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Boy howdy, is there!

Pushing Paper

I actually googled it to see if it existed.

It's a game where a Paper Pushing Commissioner hunts for Secret Reading Materials in Under Air-Conditioned Large Library.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    MW5: Finally had the tonnage to take a King Crab out for a stroll. Promptly ended the first mission with red structure in the cockpit. Oooookay, time to bump that up a bit. That hitbox does not play nice with AI targeting practices, I see.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Tox wrote: »
    Random question is it Night J-eye-er or Night Guy-er? Or Night Jir? Or Night Grr?
    follow up is it gift or jif?

Given who makes it (Jade Falcons), I think the name is a reference to a gyrfalcon, which wikipedia says is pronounced like 'fir' (as in the tree) with a j instead of an f. Apparently there's uncertainty whether the root for 'gyr' comes from an Old High German word for vultures, 'gîr' (from which the modern German 'geier' descends), or from the Latin word 'gȳrus', which means circle or curved path.
    I understand that the file format's creator favors jif, but I will always think of it as gift.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Do not think of it like pronouncing a j but a capital G. G-year falcon.
    gif is correct. Jif is a type of peanut butter

wbBv3fj.png
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    But how do you get to the flashpoint that gets you one in the first place?
    I did the first derelict space ship flashpoint. But I haven't seen a follow up to it available, or didn't recognize it as the follow up.

EDIT: Found it. It was hiding under a black market icon. :)
    I had to start a whole new career because I couldn’t find the second part of that flashpoint. But the bullshark is probably my favorite mech. Lots of tonnage. You can slap 4 lrm 20s on one of the variants and still have good armor. And each version has a good mix of hard points to play around with. Only the atlas and annilator outclass it. I actually stopped using king crabs entirely.

"I see everything twice!"

Don't get me wrong, I'm not seriously arguing this. I'm just thinking way too hard about the logistics of it all.

Like, when you buy Mechs/Parts do you also receive a Certificate of Authenticity? If so where do they come from?

What about Battlefield Salvage? Do you have to fill out and turn in a dozen different forms in order to get legal ownership?

Who even keeps track of all this? ComStar? I mean if anyone could I suppose.

edit- Dammit, now I need a Battletech Bureaucrat Simulator.

I’d hazard a guess that the various governments do keep an eye on people selling parts and weapons (you’re in Liao space selling autocannons made only at a plant in Davion space? That’s very interesting) and Comstar would be at least somewhat interested if some random was selling lostech on the open market.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    MWO: Well today is the first Oosik Night of 2020. Hopefully there will be stompy bots to be played. I haven't checked the amount of players lately, but hopefully there will be people out there who want to pilot huge robots as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Boy howdy, is there!

Pushing Paper
    I had some incorrect heat numbers of my worksheet. So you should either change the heat sink values to .1, .2 or you should re-copy my spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Oy3FUWvs-VGAu23OM2AMp_5QO-xq6VDHos9bX5L74dM/edit?usp=sharing

Someone else (Onebit on reddit) made another very good calculator which does more or less what mine does but better. It doesn't compare across weapons as well but will let you choose a mech, fit it out, and give you its max alpha strike damage, its max effort firing time, and you can choose your mech to get its weapon slots and available tonnage

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16v5O7o8ok66V1A5xvVcXjUjkTkGtQWfiJyzsDeb5LuE/edit?usp=sharing

Goug is way ahead in the game of Battletech Bureaucracy.

Betsuni wrote: »
    MWO: Well today is the first Oosik Night of 2020. Hopefully there will be stompy bots to be played. I haven't checked the amount of players lately, but hopefully there will be people out there who want to pilot huge robots as well.

Player base is still small, I think there’s been a trickle of new people from MW5 (a few people showing up in matches with trial mechs, even in FW).