As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The good, the bad and [The Mandalorian] OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Death Watch being bad guys is pretty subjective, though. Given what happens immediately after Clone Wars (the Mandalorian purge), the militant faction of the Mandos seemed to have been proved right by history. Demilitarization led the empire to pillage their world and murder most of the inhabitants.

Maul himself being a bad guy is also somewhat shakey. Yeah, he's not a good guy, but even with all the garbage with the Black Sun his eventual goal was to kill Palpatine which at least gets him lesser evil points. He probably would have been terrible had he succeeded, but we see in his death his eventual goals were mostly motivated by revenge and protecting his people, which Palpatine wiped out.

Enc on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah but their name is "Death Watch", dude.

You can't be running around calling yourself Death Watch and then be all like "but we love bunnies!"

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Now I'm picturing Mitchell and Webb's voices coming out of Mando masks, arguing over the reason they're standing ankle deep in dead Mon Calmari

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Death Watch being bad guys is pretty subjective, though. Given what happens immediately after Clone Wars (the Mandalorian purge), the militant faction of the Mandos seemed to have been proved right by history. Demilitarization led the empire to pillage their world and murder most of the inhabitants.

Maul himself being a bad guy is also somewhat shakey. Yeah, he's not a good guy, but even with all the garbage with the Black Sun his eventual goal was to kill Palpatine which at least gets him lesser evil points. He probably would have been terrible had he succeeded, but we see in his death his eventual goals were mostly motivated by revenge and protecting his people, which Palpatine wiped out.

His goal may have been to kill Palpatine, but wasn't that only so he could usurp Palpatine's position and become the new Sith Lord? That seems to be the Sith MO any way.
    I don't know much about Maul's backstory, but it seems that wanting to kill the big bad so you can become the big bad doesn't count for points.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I think it’s pretty safe to say Darth Maul was perhaps misguided but unmistakably an attack dog at best. He would be a warlord if he defeated Palpatine. His revenge would continue to find new targets forever.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

His goal may have been to kill Palpatine, but wasn't that only so he could usurp Palpatine's position and become the new Sith Lord? That seems to be the Sith MO any way.
    I don't know much about Maul's backstory, but it seems that wanting to kill the big bad so you can become the big bad doesn't count for points.

There's a lot more to Maul from the Clone Wars and Rebels cannon.
    Yeah but their name is "Death Watch", dude.

You can't be running around calling yourself Death Watch and then be all like "but we love bunnies!"

Death Watch refers to the practice of being the person required to stay awake/vigilant beside someone who is dying. They took the name because they saw their planet dying under Republic Rule and were quietly keeping their warrior traditions alive in secret on one of Mandalore's moons. They then went on to become pretty shitty terrorists! But their thesis was that if Mandalore didn't re-militarize they would be destroyed entirely by a newly militarized Republic, which, yeah that happened.

Mandalore isn't a great place in fiction, its decidedly grey morality in the new cannon, but Death Watch has layers to it. Good mandos and bad mandos really aren't a thing so much as surviving Mandaloreans and the diaspora.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Death Watch once took over a small town to use as its base of operations, essentially enslaving the locals.

When asked to leave, their leader smiled and said okay. Then he killed a random teenager and they started burning the village to the ground.

They're not the good guys--or weren't, at least, until after Maul took over and remnants of Death Watch+new post-Maul recruits were all that was really left organized and armed to fight the good fight (against a problem they started), which helps them have a rosier perception in Mando culture by the late Imperial era. Specifically for fighting Maul and reorganizing governance, which makes Maul horns on a helmet a big red flag unless you're a zabrak under there yourself.

BlazeFire wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    You know i dont believe we have any reason to think they werent actually protecting Baby Yoda from would be bounty hunters and the Empire.

Would be quite the reveal next season if we find out that Din murdered a bunch of good guys in episode 1 and that also his mando enclave are actually the bad guys of the mandalorian culture.

It would be, but it would be such a flip of the narrative the show has established I'd kind of hate it? Like it would feel like a twist for twist sake outside of the western man with a gun character they established.

That last thing about his enclave being the bad guys has enough clues during the first season that the twist would be if they aren't the bad guys of the mando culture. Between Din being saved by Death Watch and their armourer clearly having Maul-type references on her helmet, I'd be surprised if they weren't the bad mandos.

I don't understand these points. What do you mean by Death Watch? And what do you mean by Maul-type references?

The Mandos in blue that took in our Mandalorian have been bad guys in nearly every media about them so far. They are called Death Watch.

The armorer had little horns on the top of her helmet very much like Maul's horns. This is also significant because Maul lead the Death Watch for a bit (in the Clone Wars show) and you can imagine how that went. He did not do good things and neither did the death watch. So for her to have those horns, it could imply they still honor Maul's leadership or legacy.

Aaah, thanks. That helps a lot. I haven't watched Clone Wars or much of the other media.

I did a crappy write-up of the cartoon stuff relevant to Mandos earlier in the thread, if you're interested. https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/42010604#Comment_42010604

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Death Watch once took over a small town to use as its base of operations, essentially enslaving the locals.

When asked to leave, their leader smiled and said okay. Then he killed a random teenager and they started burning the village to the ground.

They're not the good guys--or weren't, at least, until after Maul took over and remnants of Death Watch+new post-Maul recruits were all that was really left organized and armed to fight the good fight (against a problem they started), which helps them have a rosier perception in Mando culture by the late Imperial era. Specifically for fighting Maul and reorganizing governance, which makes Maul horns on a helmet a big red flag unless you're a zabrak under there yourself.

Preacher wrote: »
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    You know i dont believe we have any reason to think they werent actually protecting Baby Yoda from would be bounty hunters and the Empire.

Would be quite the reveal next season if we find out that Din murdered a bunch of good guys in episode 1 and that also his mando enclave are actually the bad guys of the mandalorian culture.

It would be, but it would be such a flip of the narrative the show has established I'd kind of hate it? Like it would feel like a twist for twist sake outside of the western man with a gun character they established.

That last thing about his enclave being the bad guys has enough clues during the first season that the twist would be if they aren't the bad guys of the mando culture. Between Din being saved by Death Watch and their armourer clearly having Maul-type references on her helmet, I'd be surprised if they weren't the bad mandos.

I don't understand these points. What do you mean by Death Watch? And what do you mean by Maul-type references?

The Mandos in blue that took in our Mandalorian have been bad guys in nearly every media about them so far. They are called Death Watch.

The armorer had little horns on the top of her helmet very much like Maul's horns. This is also significant because Maul lead the Death Watch for a bit (in the Clone Wars show) and you can imagine how that went. He did not do good things and neither did the death watch. So for her to have those horns, it could imply they still honor Maul's leadership or legacy.

Aaah, thanks. That helps a lot. I haven't watched Clone Wars or much of the other media.

I did a crappy write-up of the cartoon stuff relevant to Mandos earlier in the thread, if you're interested. https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/42010604#Comment_42010604

I want to try watching clone wars, but if I end up getting too sidetracked, I may ask you to post this link again.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Everyone thinks they are the good guys in their own stories.

Plot twist!
    o8p3c3m93dp5.jpeg

*not a spoiler*

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The Clone Wars cartoon is mostly excellent. There are a few story arcs scattered about that are honestly way too good for being a kids show. The breakout story that absolutely sold me on that show was the Ryloth 3-part series in season 1. If I were going to try to sway someone to watch the show, that would be the arc I would use to win them over.

And there are little nuggets of amazing storytelling scattered throughout. Every season has at least one, but usually a handful of standout episodes. Of course, since it's a kids show, there are also a lot of duds. There's an entire episode where the entire plot is just C-3P0 going on a shopping trip on Coruscant and hijinx ensue. It was terrible. So you do get some bad with the good. But when the good hits, it hits big time.

• Options
    I did say they went on to become really shitty terrorists. Whole point here is that those blue guys who saved our titular Mandalorian seem to be better people even as that is happening during the same era (if the actor's age can be trusted to be the character's age). Shit be complicated, yo.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I did say they went on to become really shitty terrorists. Whole point here is that those blue guys who saved our titular Mandalorian seem to be better people even as that is happening during the same era (if the actor's age can be trusted to be the character's age). Shit be complicated, yo.

Replace those Death Watch with Storm Troopers who "saved" a kid during a battle and then "adopted" him into the Empire.

The only difference is, sure, the battle droids were clearly bad guys, but that doesn't mean the Death Watch were good guys.

All we know is the Death Watch took Din in. And we know the Death Watch have almost always been villains.

• Options
    Turning the tribe into villains is a mistake on the same level of how Game of Thrones handled Dani's eventual fall. They spent all season building up a mythos for people to latch on to, including our hero. Going that direct is totally possible, mind you. I just don't see it being well received.

But if anyone could pull it off, I bet it would be Favereau.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to complain about Mandalorian Ep4, 5, 6, because they are "random" episodes of the week.

But I liked them for a couple reasons.

One- none of them are random so that viewpoint is just wrong. They serve to build backstory into the character, they serve to build allies for the character, they serve to establish his commitment to the Way, they serve to establish future story beats that required those "random" episodes for them to work properly in the future.

Two- it's worldbuilding. Even if they are completely random, which they aren't, they still help ground the series in the Star Wars universe and give us a window to locations and people within that universe. A little worldbuilding along the way is good for the series as a whole.

Honestly, I hope we get more "random" episodes in future seasons, because I really like one-off adventures and that kind of thing. Plus you can bet your ass that Bill Burr and Co will be back to seek revenge.

I liked the last movie but one thing the mandalorian had that the movie didn't was time to breath. Sometimes you need to do world building and seemingly "random" stuff to help set you up for something latter and where it will have more impact. When you are just going slam bang from one big set piece to another it just winds up feeling frantic. The pacing of the mandalorian after seen the full first season I think was really good and will hold up very well in rewatching.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »

Unless she's a Zabrak, it would be like having a Confederate flag of the Mando culture. Even if she's a Zabrak, it's still kind of iffy.

• Options
    Are they Zabrak horns, though? There are five in a crown line across the top of the head, not the dozen or more ringing the head.

It's probably just rad horns to invoke the old-Germanic opera version Norse stereotypes (horned helms etc).

• Options
    Are they Zabrak horns, though? There are five in a crown line across the top of the head, not the dozen or more ringing the head.

It's probably just rad horns to invoke the old-Germanic opera version Norse stereotypes (horned helms etc).

Considering how much care was taken in every aspect of this show, I doubt they'd put horns on a Mandalorian helmet of a clearly defunct/underground Death Watch group without knowing that it would invoke the memory of Maul. And it would make little sense, in universe, for any Mandalorian who knows anything about their history, especially with ties to Death Watch, to put horns on their helmet without realizing who Maul was and what kind of impact he had on their culture.

I think the Confederate flag analogue lines up pretty nicely. Sure, some people might genuinely just think its a regional pride thing with zero negative connotations, but most know exactly what they are doing.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I think it’s pretty safe to say Darth Maul was perhaps misguided but unmistakably an attack dog at best. He would be a warlord if he defeated Palpatine. His revenge would continue to find new targets forever.

Well that's how Sith operate.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to complain about Mandalorian Ep4, 5, 6, because they are "random" episodes of the week.

But I liked them for a couple reasons.

One- none of them are random so that viewpoint is just wrong. They serve to build backstory into the character, they serve to build allies for the character, they serve to establish his commitment to the Way, they serve to establish future story beats that required those "random" episodes for them to work properly in the future.

Two- it's worldbuilding. Even if they are completely random, which they aren't, they still help ground the series in the Star Wars universe and give us a window to locations and people within that universe. A little worldbuilding along the way is good for the series as a whole.

Honestly, I hope we get more "random" episodes in future seasons, because I really like one-off adventures and that kind of thing. Plus you can bet your ass that Bill Burr and Co will be back to seek revenge.

They’re like the conspiracy episodes and monster of the week episodes in The X Files. Both types of episodes were great and both added to the whole show in their own ways.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Mandalorians have been known to commit genocide for shits and gigs, so I wouldn't be surprised if we meet some in this show who aren't nice.

It'd be interesting if Din's group were descended from the Death Watch, but 20+ years of fleeing the Empire mellowed them out.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

Well that's how Sith operate.

I mainly meant, Darth Maul is

1) a hateful, violent dude

and

2) unlike Palpatine, he is not capable of grandiose plans

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I'd be willing to accept the possibility pf Din accidentally working for the bad guys and fighting the good guys, except it's been very clear so far that the bad guys are a. Imperials, who are bad guys, I never want to read another story where the Imperials are good guys, fuck you, and b. perfectly fine with killing the Child as long as they still have enough of its left to work with. (The doctor being a notable exception.) Someone who willingly, knowingly, and deliberately murders children is never the good guy except in the most contrived circumstances.

Meanwhile, the response of the Armorer to most of the covert being slaughtered, after their revealing themselves to protect Din because he couldn't let the Child be taken away? "Eh, was probably going to happen. You gotta take care of this kid like you're its dad until it comes of age or you find its people."

As for the Tribe possibly being bad guys because secretly they're Death Watch, I'm not buying it. One, the Mandalorians we've seen from the covert definitely aren't Death Watch. They don't wear the blue armor, and if they're so rabidly fanatical about never removing the helmet, only going out one at a time, etc., you'd think they'd try to be more uniform to further confuse which of them it was and how many there are. But they're all different colors and styles. Two, and related, the Maul-like horns could easily be a decoration that became fashionable when Maul took over Death Watch and then never went out of style because people thought it was cool. Given how much the Armorer cares about #Aesthetic (seriously, a fur mantle in a forge?), and how little she appears to know about the whole Jedi/Sith thing--she talks of ancient tales and not, y'know, thirty years ago--it's probable the Armorer never even heard the name Maul and just liked the look of the horns on her helmet. Assuming she's telling the truth, of course...

And three, whatever Death Watch was during the Clone Wars, it very much was not later on, assuming it still exists as an organization. This is probably because, broadly, Death Watch achieved their goals: they brought back the old martial ways to Mandalore. And, y'know, Bo-Katan Kryze was Death Watch, and then Maul murdered her sister and twenty years later she led the Mandalorians to war against the Empire on the side of the Rebellion alongside a couple of Jedi, sooooooooooooo

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I don't think they're Bad Guys, especially sitting next to the Empire, but I do suspect they're fringe fundamentalists who will get the side-eye at best from other Mandalorians and might end up in a scuffle over the darksaber.

Like, siding with Maul? Evil, yeah, but also the 'right' thing from a fundamentalist view: He won the duel, he rules, that's the way it is, no matter how evil he is. Bo-Katan only initially rejected him because 1. He killed Pre (who was an unambiguous shithead monster) and 2. He was an outsider.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

Considering how much care was taken in every aspect of this show, I doubt they'd put horns on a Mandalorian helmet of a clearly defunct/underground Death Watch group without knowing that it would invoke the memory of Maul. And it would make little sense, in universe, for any Mandalorian who knows anything about their history, especially with ties to Death Watch, to put horns on their helmet without realizing who Maul was and what kind of impact he had on their culture.

I think the Confederate flag analogue lines up pretty nicely. Sure, some people might genuinely just think its a regional pride thing with zero negative connotations, but most know exactly what they are doing.

But if it were to invoke Maul, wouldn't the horns on the Armourer's helmet match his horns? Maul for instance has a horn on his forehead that the Armourer does not have. There are a lot of different species with horns in the Star Wars universe,

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

But if it were to invoke Maul, wouldn't the horns on the Armourer's helmet match his horns? Maul for instance has a horn on his forehead that the Armourer does not have. There are a lot of different species with horns in the Star Wars universe,

Well, no, because they're ceremonial, symbolic horns; not wiki-accurate cosplay horns.

• Options
    So they are both intentional, definitely Zabrak horns and -also- obviously not accurate Zabrak horns because that would be silly.

Hrm

• Options
    j98NmQD.jpg

Sometimes artist's renditions aren't 100% accurate to the real thing.

• Options
    One horn on each though

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Except we're not talking about it not lining up 100%. We're talking about different shape, different pattern, different number, different size. The only thing they have in common is that they are horns.

The horn in the emblem is still 1 large horn on the nose. Not 3 little horns on the back of the skull.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The thing about the horns is that they could be a coincidence, because they are pretty different, but it seems extremely unlikely the possible interpretation would slip past the people working on the show.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Here’s the thing: the callout to maul might be true, they might be ceremonial, the creators might be setting up the tribe to be bad guys despite everything... sure. But its a lot of projection with little substance. My pushback here isn’t that its a bad theory but that folks are calling the theory fact and are asserting things we just don’t know yet, and the facts this is based on just don't hold up without bending over backwards to make them fit the narrative.

It could be a cool angle, Maul is a great villain and I want more of him.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Well. We know he was taken in by Death Watch when they were bad dudes, because of the symbol+no other Mandalorians are active in armor during a time frame when Super Battle Droids are attacking towns (Clone Wars).

We can speculate with some confidence that his faction is something weird even relative to Death Watch, because no one else follows such rigid rules during the time frame when he starts wearing his own helmet or well after it, not even the Death Watch types we see in Rebels. Unless it was a foundling-specific rule that never came up in other series, and became a general rule after the Purge.

We don't have anything much else to go on, though, so...those horns are something to speculate about.

If they are from a faction that was at some point loyal to Maul, it's worth noting that those loyalists were probably a mix of 'ax-craziest Mandalorians' and 'most strictly traditional Mandalorians' because of how he took power. They probably aren't popular with other factions, on account of being from the losing side of a civil war, unless they did some great stuff during/after the Purge.

Kamar on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I mean maybe she killed a zabrak and that's part of her signet or whatever

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Maybe she is Maul's daughter.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

She would have to be from before the Battle of Naboo given that Maul left behind some essential equipment for that theory to work.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Well, maybe not. If the top half of him somehow lives, certainly the bottom half could ~interrupted by running outside to barf~

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Well, maybe not. If the top half of him somehow lives, certainly the bottom half could ~interrupted by running outside to barf~

If only cloning technology easily available to anyone with the resources had been well established in the setting before hand...

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

She would have to be from before the Battle of Naboo given that Maul left behind some essential equipment for that theory to work.

that's implying you know how zabrak procreate! /cackle

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    It is canon that humans and zabrak can have children together so yes I am assuming there is some system compatibility.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Everything can have children with humans. Zabraks, elves, orcs, fish, horses, mushrooms. We're like some kind of boning nexus where everything wants to do us and we want to do everything.

This discussion has been closed.