As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Iran Response: Missile strikes US Al-Assad, Kirbil base in Iraq pg 90

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    When do we start panicking?

January 3rd, 2020.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Chanus wrote: »
    also trump's approval rating is the lowest for a president heading into an election since Ford so i'm sure he thinks this will boost his numbers

They have got to have internal polling that shows starting a war isn't going to be popular. It'd be a huge risk to do when they're already running the govt. on a skeleton crew of lackies, morons, and grifters; and they haven't even bothered with the half year sales job to the American public like Bush's people did.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Nima Shirazi is co-host of the podcast Citations Needed

MSNBC is MSNBC

The march to war is happening again.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Re: the tweeting

I think this really gets back to what I said earlier and america in general just not getting wtf they are dealing with in Iran. I'm not sure when the last time the US was starting up a shooting war against a country with an actual sense of national identity was but unless I'm forgetting it amid all the wars, I'm pretty sure it's been a long ass time.

Ya fucking assassinated a high ranking government official and then taunted them on twitter over it by waving your dick-flag at them. Because Trump had to tell the american people "Fuck yeah, look at us". They are gonna taunt you back for the exact same reason. Because they to possess a sense of national pride and they are gonna make sure their own people know they are standing up for their own sovereignty and pride and identity.

If twitter didn't exist, they'd just be doing this shit via other channels like in the past.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular

Ali Arouzi is NBC's Tehran Bureau Chief

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I really hope Trump is a coward on this and backs off.

Just say some stupid bullshit and posture, or anything that means literally nothing.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Lanz wrote: »

Nima Shirazi is co-host of the podcast Citations Needed

MSNBC is MSNBC

I mean, yeah General McCaffrey. I'm sure those fucking Lancers, we've been having hover over and bomb Iranian air space , since we overthrew the Shah, is'nt , "Air Superiority" enuff!

JFC. Our men and servicewomen will die in vain.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Trump will address nation while military conducts airstrikes, but he will veer off and rant about impeachment and brag about how he got everyone to say "Merry Christmas" again.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

:bigfrown:

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

Watch Israel call "dibs", to really help Bomb Iran.

Even though it will be a Saudi linked group, that bombs Jerusalem first.

JFC this whole thing and Bolton is having a bender over this.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Jesus fucking Christ. This tweet is from the Representative of the Supreme Leader to the Secretary of Supreme National Security Council of Iran.

Gonna be honest, why should I care about this when actual people are being assassinated and missiles/rockets are flying?

I’m basically just caught up on the fact that this is a twitter fight that’s spilling over into actual military conflict.

I don't think america assassinated a man on twitter.

No. America assassinated a man who was trolling Trump on Twitter.

Please point me to Qassem Soleimani's twitter account.

The Daily Dot has a summary of the stuff I’m talking about.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I'm not even sure what the goal of a war with Iran would be? Regime change? Or would Trump be satisfied with them kissing his ass and apologizing for daring to respond to an assassination of an Iranian citizen and military offical.

Triggering the return of Jesus Christ.

It’s why they elected the antichrist

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Via CNN.
    The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said in its Telegram channel that, in the event Iranian soil is bombed, it will target the cities of Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and Haifa, Israel, in the third wave of operations.

• Options

Damn. Really hope that’s not as dramatic as it sounds.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

Damn. Really hope that’s not as dramatic as it sounds.

If you click on his profile, his timeline doesn't look great!

• Options
    okay wait why the UAE?

is it because of a Base there, ties to SA and the ongoing cold war between SA and Iran going hot thanks to Trump tossing a match on some gasoline or what?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    okay wait why the UAE?

is it because of a Base there, ties to SA and the ongoing cold war between SA and Iran going hot thanks to Trump tossing a match on some gasoline or what?

Massive economic chaos

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I'm pretty skeptical of that one if just because there's a big difference between "we fired missiles at these targets" and "we're announcing troop positions in realtime."

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/us/politics/trump-campaign-suleimani.html
    But Mr. Trump’s decision to authorize the killing of Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani, which he has described to friends and allies as a necessary action he was forced to take, has opened up a more uncertain political reality as the president enters an election year. That uncertainty was on display Tuesday night when Iran fired missiles at American forces in Iraq, in its first act of retaliation.

Some advisers have highlighted to Mr. Trump the short-term lift the strike could give his re-election prospects, and his campaign has run nearly 800 distinct Facebook ads trumpeting the killing, according to Acronym, a progressive digital strategy group. The ads refer to Mr. Trump’s “leadership as commander in chief” and direct voters to an “Official Trump Military Survey,” which acts as a portal to his campaign website.
    In the days since the attack, Mr. Trump has soaked up praise from Republican senators and allies, and aides described him as very comfortable with his decision. Mr. Trump, who has been eager to bask again in the kind of praise he received after ordering the military to bomb Syrian government forces after they used chemical weapons in 2017, has enjoyed his victory lap, even describing in graphic detail to friends the attacks on the American Embassy that preceded the strike against Mr. Suleimani.

Mr. Trump pointed out to one person who spoke to him on the phone last week that he had been pressured to take a harder line on Iran by some Republican senators whose support he needs now more than ever amid an impeachment battle. He also indicated that one of his top motivations for the strike was to protect Israel.

Those advisers are going to help start a war.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    okay wait why the UAE?

Pretty much. The US is too far away, so now our allies get to eat the shitstorm we started.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Just say some stupid bullshit and posture, or anything that means literally nothing.

I think the Iranians are probably trying to slap the US back enough that everyone feels like it's even and not so much that it escalates further.

Given how Trump has backed them into a corner with his stupidity, that's basically the way they are gonna have to respond given domestic and international political concerns.

The problem with all this is that Trump is a fucking toddler and so there's a good chance he's incapable of not escalating in retaliation.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Apparently this is how I'm dealing with the dread beginning to set in and buoy myself emotionally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BORjoDgxnOU

[for context: a cover of a diegetic song from Gundam 00's (dub version of the lyrics), created as a message to bring the world together in peace as war is intensifying]

Shared in case it helps anyone else as well

This kind of thing isn't really appropriate in here right now, I'm sure there are other places you can share it.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/us/politics/trump-campaign-suleimani.html
    But Mr. Trump’s decision to authorize the killing of Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani, which he has described to friends and allies as a necessary action he was forced to take, has opened up a more uncertain political reality as the president enters an election year. That uncertainty was on display Tuesday night when Iran fired missiles at American forces in Iraq, in its first act of retaliation.

Some advisers have highlighted to Mr. Trump the short-term lift the strike could give his re-election prospects, and his campaign has run nearly 800 distinct Facebook ads trumpeting the killing, according to Acronym, a progressive digital strategy group. The ads refer to Mr. Trump’s “leadership as commander in chief” and direct voters to an “Official Trump Military Survey,” which acts as a portal to his campaign website.
    In the days since the attack, Mr. Trump has soaked up praise from Republican senators and allies, and aides described him as very comfortable with his decision. Mr. Trump, who has been eager to bask again in the kind of praise he received after ordering the military to bomb Syrian government forces after they used chemical weapons in 2017, has enjoyed his victory lap, even describing in graphic detail to friends the attacks on the American Embassy that preceded the strike against Mr. Suleimani.

Mr. Trump pointed out to one person who spoke to him on the phone last week that he had been pressured to take a harder line on Iran by some Republican senators whose support he needs now more than ever amid an impeachment battle. He also indicated that one of his top motivations for the strike was to protect Israel.

Those advisers are going to help start a war.

That's their plan.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    okay wait why the UAE?

1) Regional rivalries.
    2) They're probably one of Trump's three puppet masters.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Via CNN.
    The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said in its Telegram channel that, in the event Iranian soil is bombed, it will target the cities of Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and Haifa, Israel, in the third wave of operations.

So they want it to be a World War on purpose?

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

I think the Iranians are probably trying to slap the US back enough that everyone feels like it's even and not so much that it escalates further.

Given how Trump has backed them into a corner with his stupidity, that's basically the way they are gonna have to respond given domestic and international political concerns.

The problem with all this is that Trump is a fucking toddler and so there's a good chance he's incapable of not escalating in retaliation.

The problem is Trump is fatally obsessed with "winning".

• Options

Yeah basically if you don’t have nukes, you need a pretty “impressive” show of force to try to achieve the same deterring effect

• Options
    What time does Trump do his public address?

• Options
    Via CNN.

So they want it to be a World War on purpose?

MAD without nukes to try to deter retaliation

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So trump's play here is either he just loses it and escalates or he realizes this is the point where you tak and make it seem like we're the injured party here in the classic abuser fashion. Either way I think we're going to war here.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

They have decided not to have an address.
    NYT reporter:

• Options

The problem is Trump is fatally obsessed with "winning".

So is the Iranian regime and literally so

• Options
    edited January 2020

I don't think there's word on it yet; everything sounds like it's seat of the pants right now (which is... saying something considering earlier insider reporting mentioned in the thread)
    EDIT: or, as Couscous posted, no address at all now

@Ceres: sorry

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

NYT reporter:

They sound prepared!

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

NYT reporter:

So he's either shitting his pants, or is no shape to be on TV. I'd bet the latter. Someone should just tell him that if you escalate this, your weekly golf trips to Maralago are effectively done in the short term.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

NYT reporter:

This sort of thing happening in public is a problem

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

NYT reporter:

This makes me think he's absolutely losing it behind closed doors.

This is going to get real bad, real quick.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

NYT reporter:

So he's either shitting his pants, or is no shape to be on TV. I'd bet the latter.

Por que no los dos?

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

NYT reporter:

YOU FUCKING COWARD!!!!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
This discussion has been closed.