As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Well, just had my first experience with an early resin era model and oof

I've bought one set of finecast models ever.

Never. Again.

Lot more interested in that Shadowsun remodel now

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I used to think people were just butthurt over the transition from metal to finecast, and then I bought some finecast models and I immediately understood.

Prying a hunk of pink mold release out of a bubble in a Space Marine's ass was a real eye opener.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    All of the named Necron HQs are finecast. It sucked to put them together.

I want a thunderfire cannon for just the techmarine but fuck that. It isn't a necessity so fuck the finecast.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Stragint wrote: »
    All of the named Necron HQs are finecast. It sucked to put them together.

I want a thunderfire cannon for just the techmarine but fuck that. It isn't a necessity so fuck the finecast.

You used to be able to get a Legion Rapier weapon platform from Forge World that was the same size as a Thunderfire Cannon but cheaper (it came with two 30k marines instead of a Techmarine though), but I don't know if it still is after the FW price hikes last year. It's still resin, but the model is a lot newer and is supposed to go together a lot better.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have a thunderfire cannon but I don't know if I have all the parts or all the parts for the techmarine
    et786kqu7chd.png

edited January 2020
    My techmarines are either really old, 30k resin dudes, or Fierros. I need to get the actual Techmarine model at some point.

The GW Techmarine with Servitors kit comes with the two servitors I need to complete a collection, so I think that purchase might be in my future.

SmokeStacks on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Today's rumour engine pic makes me think catachans, but that couldn't be, right?

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    My techmarines are either really old, 30k resin dudes, or Fierros. I need to get the actual Techmarine model at some point.

The GW Techmarine with Servitors kit comes with the two servitors I need to complete a collection, so I think that purchase might be in my future.

I have an old space marine command squad kit that comes with an apothecary and tech marine and all that jazz if you're really interested. it is plastic but it's also from 2004.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I feel that is the rumored 60mm based necron we are getting
    Wait, what? What is the rumor pointing towards?
    honovere wrote: »
    According to the WD preview on warcom just lore.
    I am now sad.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So finally read the new PA story.

I really want to know what Magnus is doing and how it will change nothing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Just as planned...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I would rather spend way more money and kitbash my own plastic stuff than go anywhere near resin.

I've also yet to run into someone who reacted negatively to a cool kitbash

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    You could probably kitbash a decent shadowsun with firewarriors and stealth suits

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    I envy all of you who can kitbash. So envious.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I envy all of you who can kitbash. So envious.

I mean, kitbashing can be as simple as putting a different head on the model.

Khraul wrote: »
    I would rather spend way more money and kitbash my own plastic stuff than go anywhere near resin.

I've also yet to run into someone who reacted negatively to a cool kitbash

I have ran into two people. One was the toxic leader of the group I played 40k with last. The other was a store employee asking why I did what I did
    If I knew where I put that mini I would show it both of them

• ArdolArdol Registered User regular

I am now sad.

iirc the rumor is a new Szeras on a 66mm base. My hope is it's actually Szarekh, the Silent King.

edited January 2020
    Do know who the tau are pairing with in their psychic awakening box?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    I mean, kitbashing can be as simple as putting a different head on the model.
    I literally can't, though, Muscular Dystrophy. Other people put my models together. Some I pay exorbitantly to paint them or I hunt through eBay.

Hence, envy. Good natured envy, I love looking at them. I just also wants them :).

I am now sad.

There were a bunch of rumors that have organically changed since the summer. A black templars bow vs orks changed to Space Wolves VS orks now Tau vs Necrons that is a also the new 9th edition [I don't believe 9th is coming more of it's a reboot of the rules like Soul Wars did for AOS but that was needed} A new Ghazghkull model. The Sons of Dorn codex that was a half truth and so on

What color is Corvus Black? A darker black than chaos black or Abaddon black? or in-between them or what?

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

Not everyone got a "versus" box, Blood Angels just got collector's set with nuMephiston and some other BA units.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

Possibly genecult? But that's just from the Shadowsun preview images being ones from the book,

What color is Corvus Black? A darker black than chaos black or Abaddon black? or in-between them or what?

udr02m22lnsa.jpeg

Two thin coats on a Light Grey primed sprue.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Is it necessary to base spray these old resin models like Shadowsun or are they ready for paint

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Is it necessary to base spray these old resin models like Shadowsun or are they ready for paint

Wash and base spray for pretty much all resin if I remember right.

u7stthr17eud.png
    TheGerbil wrote: »

I have an old space marine command squad kit that comes with an apothecary and tech marine and all that jazz if you're really interested. it is plastic but it's also from 2004.

Most definitely. I'm at work right now but I'll send you a PM when I get home and we'll see if we can work something out. Messaging on the mobile version of the forums is a chore.

Tastyfish wrote: »

Possibly genecult? But that's just from the Shadowsun preview images being ones from the book,

I have hear Genecult and Necrons so I make fun of how the "9" edition has gone from Black Templars Vs Orks to Space Wolves Vs Orks to Tau vs ?

I have hear Genecult and Necrons so I make fun of how the "9" edition has gone from Black Templars Vs Orks to Space Wolves Vs Orks to Tau vs ?

To be fair, I don't think there have been any rumours about Tau getting a new box set. They're just almost certainly getting paired with at least one other faction for their Psychic Awakening update.

Nicassar when. I want my psychic space bears.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    pardzh wrote: »
    Are people having trouble finding those? My FLGS had four on the shelf a couple weeks ago.

Mine still has like 6 boxes. I'm sorely tempted to buy another army I won't paint.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited January 2020
    pardzh wrote: »
    Are people having trouble finding those? My FLGS had four on the shelf a couple weeks ago.

Mine still has like 6 boxes. I'm sorely tempted to buy another army I won't paint.

I am tempted to get one but really use it to give to a gift to someone. They need to far more than me to get away from where they live and the mess they are in .

Brainleech on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

To be fair, I don't think there have been any rumours about Tau getting a new box set. They're just almost certainly getting paired with at least one other faction for their Psychic Awakening update.

Tau vs Necrons wouldn't make much sense for PA because the former doesn't really have any psykers (unless GW are planning to finally stop being coy about what's going on with the Ethereals and even then that's only one possible answer among many), and the other actively tries to suppress anything to do with the warp. Tau vs Genestealers would make a lot more sense for a pairing in that respect.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Nicassar when. I want my psychic space bears.

I don't know which of these interpretations I like more, the more literal one:
    m6rstmc2t7u5.jpg
    the ursine Falkor one
    8sqsvv2q4cqr.jpg
    or the pancake (Jervis Johnson described them as "sort of like very flat polar bears")
    rqyqxtpdou71.png

But their BFG ships are pretty cool:
    hbylapl7mh4d.jpeg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Tau vs Necrons wouldn't make much sense for PA because the former doesn't really have any psykers (unless GW are planning to finally stop being coy about what's going on with the Ethereals and even then that's only one possible answer among many), and the other actively tries to suppress anything to do with the warp. Tau vs Genestealers would make a lot more sense for a pairing in that respect.

Pairing up the two non psychics makes sense me, but arent the Tau also currently in a war with the Death Guard?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

Not having psykers doesn't make a difference for Psychic Awakening, Dark Eldar got an update just fine without them.

Well, mostly.

edited January 2020

Not having psykers doesn't make a difference for Psychic Awakening, Dark Eldar got an update just fine without them.

Well, mostly.

Oh sure, I'm not saying they won't or shouldn't get updates, I'm just saying that if they're gonna pair them off for updates it seems to make more sense thematically that at least one of each pair will have psykers.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    I suspect at some point theyll make Tau psykers and just say that actually they always had a psychic footprint but its been supressed as the Greater Good warp entity grew at an accelerated rate.

Probably same time Emps kicks it.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

Well, mostly.

I was kind of disappointed in that because in Clonelord the Haemonculi have psychic powers but keep they down to other uses as they use them to mind wipe what someone learned from them

Well, mostly.

Speaking of, I missed most of the conversation about that book. It didn’t seem to be meta-shaking. Are Incubi worth their points yet?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。

Well, mostly.

Speaking of, I missed most of the conversation about that book. It didn’t seem to be meta-shaking. Are Incubi worth their points yet?

Incubi are meh. Their changes helped them but they're suffering hugely from a meta where everyone's geared up to kill infantry units with a 3+ save.

Drazhar is outrageously good now after his points drop in Chapter Approved. Genuine little murder machine and probably the closest thing the Eldar have to a Smash Captain.

The rest of the changes haven't been hugely impactful. A couple of the custom traits are worth taking (Expert Crafters for CWE in particular).