As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[US Foreign Policy] Iran Response: Missile strikes US Al-Assad, Kirbil base in Iraq pg 90

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Send lower level people.

In a just world, this shit wouldn't be happening, but that's sadly not the case. I mean, I expect Trump to be fucking stupid and insane. I also expect the leadership of the Quds force to be self-aware enough to realize that right now isn't the best time to be sending your people about. Also it speaks volumes of how fucked things are outside the US as well. My understanding is that Quds is essentially a more militarized version of the CIA. They shouldn't really be the go to option for diplomacy; especially, people at the highest level.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

Dartmouth Professor

Lindsey Graham is a US senator stoking very dangerous fires

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Robert Evans and Jim Sciutto are journalists of varying degrees

:bigfrown:

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm hoping internal polling is abysmal and has only gotten worse. But knowing america its probably the opposite.

Polling can be miles underwater and it won't matter until conservative voters actually vote out Republicans

Just because your nephew is about to get shipped off to fight in the middle east doesn't mean you're going to change your voting priorities

I don't know, I suspect there's a good many trolls reevaluating just how funny this triggering the libs joke is tonight. There doesn't seem to be any US taste for another war in the Middle East, and Trump has made no case for it either. I legit expect him to crater, but it's probably more like yet another small drop.

I'm not so sure. Since the end of the Vietnam war and the end of the draft there are more and more people who have zero connection to anyone involved with the US armed forces. I feel like they just wouldn't give a shit.

At least until something happens on US soil

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Iran’s foreign minister has released a statement.

Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.

We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.

Desktop Hippie on
    edited January 2020

Lindsey Graham is a goddamn warmonger

And there is Cruz putting the thought of Nuclear attack in Trump’s head

Same source as before

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

Dartmouth Professor

Lindsey Graham is a US senator stoking very dangerous fires

This is dumb
    Iran’s foreign minister has released a statement.

Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.

We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.

This is a good sign

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Thanks 2020, Sean fucking Hannity is going to cause America to go to war.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    ....shut the fuck up Lindsey.

edited January 2020

Marco Rubio has said really stupid shit but he at least seems to vaguely recognize the abyss ahead and wants to avoid it

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Lindsey is just a “literal nazi” who wants to “kill all the Iranians“

Captain Inertia on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    This will cross 100 after I go to sleep, so new thread.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/233172/us-foreign-policy-the-rockets-red-glare/p1?new=1

I better not wake up to a new war.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Yeah.. Iran is doing everything to play by the rules and look like the good guys. Which in this case I believe they are. It is a tragedy that there are casualties despite the warnings though.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Lindsey Graham is a goddamn warmonger

And there is Cruz putting the thought of Nuclear attack in Trump’s head

Same source as before

So Cruz is literally repeating the argument for invading Iraq. Sigh.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    By all means Lindsey strap on some Kevlar, grab a gun and head over there yourself you cowardly selfish soulless monster

Hannity seems to be pushing for "limited Strikes" to Trump.

So I guess that's where the GOP and Unofficial Advisor are weighing in

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Send lower level people.

In a just world, this shit wouldn't be happening, but that's sadly not the case. I mean, I expect Trump to be fucking stupid and insane. I also expect the leadership of the Quds force to be self-aware enough to realize that right now isn't the best time to be sending your people about. Also it speaks volumes of how fucked things are outside the US as well. My understanding is that Quds is essentially a more militarized version of the CIA. They shouldn't really be the go to option for diplomacy; especially, people at the highest level.

Leftist Americans expect trump to be fucking stupid and insane.

World leaders do not, and until this month, should not have expected the USA to be this stupid and insane

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    This Hannity program started with him reporting that six B-52s were on their way to the region

an aircraft that would never be sent into contested airspace for being big and slow, but one of a few recognizable by his audience

like his usual content, it's paper thin propaganda to make the current leadership seem strong

VRXwDW7.png
    Since we were all trying to figure out in the last thread why Iran said their third wave would include Dubai, I’ve just remembered Trump has a massive hotel and golf course there. The Palm.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    Send lower level people.

World leaders do not, and until this month, should not have expected the USA to be this stupid and insane

World leaders have absolutely expected Trump to be stupid and fickle, it's why so many of them have been able to lead him around and have him eating out of the palm of their hand.

Same source

Also

please don't let there be US casualties

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    This will cross 100 after I go to sleep, so new thread.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/233172/us-foreign-policy-the-rockets-red-glare/p1?new=1

I better not wake up to a new war.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    It's been stated that a not insignificant part of Trump's base are spin off isolationist libertarians and full blown white nationalists. Their objective isn't war with another Middle Eastern country it's to make sure none of the brown people from those countries get over here. "If they want to live in squalor and blow each other up" they, say ignoring the centuries of Imperial fuckery that destabilized those regions in the first place "let em. It's not my problem."

The only military action I could see them being 100% behind is a full blown nuclear genocide. Glass the whole region and be done with it in a day.

The rest of the country really seems to have no clue why Iran is supposed to be a big boogeyman. With Iraq and Afghanistan there was a direct, physical attack and a visceral response to it. We wanted to go get the bad guys and anybody who helped them and we're pretty ready to believe whatever the government told us in our post 9/11 patriotic euphoria.

Iran... hasn't really done anything to us? We're not a subtle people so anything short of Pearl Harbor Part 2 nobody really has any reason to want to go to war.

I just don't see there being any political will to start another war, even amongst the hard core wackadoos of Trump's base.

Statement from the President of the United States

All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.
    Sorry, America. He has his phone.

"All is well"? What the actual fuck kind of statement is that?

Juggernut wrote: »
    It's been stated that a not insignificant part of Trump's base are spin off isolationist libertarians and full blown white nationalists. Their objective isn't war with another Middle Eastern country it's to make sure none of the brown people from those countries get over here. "If they want to live in squalor and blow each other up" they, say ignoring the centuries of Imperial fuckery that destabilized those regions in the first place "let em. It's not my problem."

The only military action I could see them being 100% behind is a full blown nuclear genocide. Glass the whole region and be done with it in a day.

The rest of the country really seems to have no clue why Iran is supposed to be a big boogeyman. With Iraq and Afghanistan there was a direct, physical attack and a visceral response to it. We wanted to go get the bad guys and anybody who helped them and we're pretty ready to believe whatever the government told us in our post 9/11 patriotic euphoria.

Iran... hasn't really done anything to us? We're not a subtle people so anything short of Pearl Harbor Part 2 nobody really has any reason to want to go to war.

I just don't see there being any political will to start another war, even amongst the hard core wackadoos of Trump's base.

honestly this is why the air strikes option worries me.

There is a lot of shit the US military can do with air strikes and missile systems that would never, ever trigger the malaise a ground war engenders in even the "Heck yeah, take the fight to the bastards!"-faction of the populace.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.

But he seems to think he's won here, which is good because as long as he thinks he's winning he's less likely to start a war over his precious hurt feelings.

shryke on
  • doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular

That seems too coherent to be a Trump Original tweet

what a happy day it is
    Burnage wrote: »

We are on the "Enemy is weak and pathetic" tilt of Fascism's eternal paradox of "The enemy is an imminent existential threat/the enemy is weak and pathetic"

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Send lower level people.

Except, said world leaders should have intelligence agencies that would have told them, "I hate to break it to you, but Donald Trump, President of the US, is both really fucking stupid and insane. Like part of the point of having an intelligence agency and a diplomatic agency is so that you have an accurate picture of the world stage. At this point, no one gets to play the card of "we didn't think he was that insane or stupid." It's been three years with the fucker in the white house and it seems like the shit out of there gets more insane by the day.

If there is one silver lining that might be had out of this. If Trump doesn't escalate things further, that could put more steam into demilitarization because if there is one thing that can be pointed out here. Iran actually is a functional government and has a military and Trump might not have escalated because that military was adequate enough to deter the US. So nukes might not be needed as a deterrent if you have an adequate enough military, that someone decides it just isn't worth their effort to fight you over something petty.

edited January 2020

Same Dartmouth professor who is keeping track of one of Trump's larger media influencers and unofficial advisor

Who is the Bongino he's citing?

Also jesus what is wrong with these people

Note: the question is rhetorical

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Burnage wrote: »

Someone slipped a tranquilizer into his vanilla m&m McFlurry

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I get why, in the grand scheme of things, we need to know what Hannity is saying because he has no small influence of the fucking goddamned president of these united fucking states, but man. Do we really need to know what Hannity is saying?

Send lower level people.

Trump is insane and stupid in that he will cancel a trade deal until you cross off Obama and write Trump.

Not that he will ask you to a meeting and blow you up.

edited January 2020
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I get why, in the grand scheme of things, we need to know what Hannity is saying because he has no small influence of the fucking goddamned president of these united fucking states, but man. Do we really need to know what Hannity is saying?

Again, not just influence in the sense of "Trump gets all his ideas from Fox News"

but influence in the sense of "Sean Hannity and Donald Trump regularly talk on the phone where Sean Hannity effectively serves the function of yet another, regular unofficial advisor to the president of the united states of america."

Sort of like how Ike Perlmutter of Marvel was, along with two other Mar A Lago members, unofficially making VA policy decisions.

EDIT: Also, you know, the usual high ranking GOP legislative Flaks who run the gamut from "Bad Idea" to "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? IRANIAN NAZIS? WHAT"

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Same source

Also

Should I infer from this that they know there were no US casualties?

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular

Same Dartmouth professor who is keeping track of one of Trump's larger media influencers and unofficial advisor

Everyone is seeking nuclear bombs now, they were always seeking a bomb. The Obama deal was objectively stopping that, at the very least pausing it. These people have no shame. Also North Korea is building more bombs but we aren’t mentioning that around the dear leader are we right wing pundits?

Same source

Also

Should I infer from this that they know there were no US casualties?

my read on it is still getting reports or potentially members of the US who might be in condition that may change over the course of hours or days

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    This whole thing is weird

I can't help but feel like we aren't going to do shit. The WH doesn't have a presser every time an Iranian-sponsored VBIED or mortaring hits a base (and does more damage). The only difference is this came out of geographic Iran.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Prohass wrote: »

Everyone is seeking nuclear bombs now, they were always seeking a bomb. The Obama deal was objectively stopping that, at the very least pausing it. These people have no shame. Also North Korea is building more bombs but we aren’t mentioning that around the dear leader are we right wing pundits?

and this right here is the reason they want and believe they need the Bomb, so people like us won't do shit like this to them.

Commander Zoom on
This discussion has been closed.