As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Max has re-signed with Red Bull until end of 2023.

https://verstappen.nl/en/article/3936/

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    wow.

i knew the cars were big but.... wow

Nah, they're not THAT different. Tyre diameter should be the same for both, no? Cockpit on the new car looks way bigger as well.

steam_sig.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That's why I followed up with the one I did.

Ahh, ok.

steam_sig.png
    They have got a lot longer, though, definitely.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    It's also a guide about how tiny the early F1 cars are. A modern GT3 car, for reference, is about 4.5m long.

I think for very confusing reference size though, nothing beats how confusingly small LMP cars are
    hcrj77hqi7611.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    It's also a guide about how tiny the early F1 cars are. A modern GT3 car, for reference, is about 4.5m long.

I think for very confusing reference size though, nothing beats how confusingly small LMP cars are
    hcrj77hqi7611.jpg

That's totally not what my brain imagined...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I remember seeing an explanation of why it was, something to do with the windscreen. Don't remember the exact details... I'll try to find it!

You can definitely see the LMP difference when you watch on TV:
    wh9etbo1hlso.png

steam_sig.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Wow, 3.6 metres long, that's...

actually still pretty tiny.

My Golf is 4.2 metres long. A Camry is 4.9 metres long.

Jazz wrote: »

Wow, 3.6 metres long, that's...

actually still pretty tiny.

My Golf is 4.2 metres long. A Camry is 4.9 metres long.

So you're saying I can park one in my garage? To Sotheby's!

steam_sig.png
    3.6m is the wheelbase, not the length.

steam_sig.png
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    wh9etbo1hlso.png

Well, sure, but then again, even within the same class...
    vqbyeencd1bq.png

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Yeah but that's the M8, everyone knows it's an absolute unit
    i1xzotfowp2q.png

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Such a unit that it's getting phased out because it turns out giant family saloons don't make the best race car platforms.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Person accustomed to being the best can't take not being the best, might take ball home. News at 11.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Dakar Rally 2020: Stage 8 highlights | Motorsports on NBC (6 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl6J-LiCpAA

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Looks like the W Series is going to be a support race for the US and Mexican F1 Grands Prix.

I think this is a good thing, but am somewhat torn. I wish the series didn't need to be a support series, and that it could stand on its own, but seems like that is not on the cards.

edited January 2020
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Looks like the W Series is going to be a support race for the US and Mexican F1 Grands Prix.

I think this is a good thing, but am somewhat torn. I wish the series didn't need to be a support series, and that it could stand on its own, but seems like that is not on the cards.

It might get there in time, but it's only its second season and it's in F3 level cars. And it being a support series at these events gets eyeballs on it at big international circuits. Getting it in front of the F1 audience can't do it any harm. It's only going to grow.

Edit: and getting it to the Americas!

Jazz on
    My team and I are racing the Daytona 24H in iRacing today. Friend of mine is streaming it. If you've ever wondered what this crazy thing we do is about here you go:

Right now we're in the everyone is awake and happy state, so lots of jovial TS conversation. 12 hours from now when there's 6 hours to go we'll all be zombies.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Our photo finish to take ninth place (we're the black and red car):
    7665C1D09423681132789FF0ECCA681E46CEA056

It was very cool to watch you for a while. I'd love to get involved in some MP once I'm set up with my new rig in a few weeks.

edited January 2020
    7ozcqj0h188r.jpg

Fernando Alonso (yes, that one), foreground, repairing his Toyota in this year's Dakar, taking place for the first time in Saudi Arabia.

Full gallery: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2020/jan/18/dakar-rally-2020-sand-flames-and-camels-in-pictures

Jazz on
    edited January 2020
    For a finale I decided I wanted some more drive time today, so I ran an iLMS race in iRacing at Le Mans, in the Porsche 919 hybrid P1:

I might've won :twisted: Final lead was 12s, but I had to serve a 40s stop go for unsafe pit entry because I bobbled a bit on my pit stop. Should've been nearly a minute gap.

(edited to hide my full real name, though I guess it's out there anyway if you dig just a little on iRacing's site):
    Is5G9Su.png

GnomeTank on
    F1 showerthought, prompted by Massa's helmet cam here; https://streamable.com/p7p2s

My theory is that stabilisation on the T-cams has contributed to the common idea of people thinking modern F1 cars are easier to drive. You see a shaky on board of Senna around Monaco and it just LOOKS more raw than Hamilton's "smooth" pole lap this season. But really, the only difference is the camera is more stable.

If sims have taught me anything (and of course always take anyone using a sim to talk about RL with a grain of salt), modern F1 cars are easier to drive, they are not easy to drive. The difficulty of driving them is a different beast to tame. Sure you aren't holding on to the car one handed as you shift with the other hand...but the G-forces today are absurd and the speed at which things happen is next level.

As far as Hamilton's smoothness, the other thing I would say that old F1 heads hate is that today's drivers are on another level. With their fitness and training regimes, combined with sports science and the reams of data they have access to drivers today optimize their ability to drive the cars to an intense degree. I have nothing but respect for older drivers, but in a straight up shoot out of pure ability to drive F1 cars, I'd take most modern drivers over most older ones all things being equal and both drivers being in their primes.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the cams from the 80s and 90s were not attached to their helmets im pretty sure. they were mounted to the bulkhead behind their right shoulder

that's Massa's cam attached to his helmet on a not-state-of-the-art car on a street circuit that looks like it's just a cleverly concealed k-mart parking lot

no suspension is no suspension, but one big difference you can see between then and now is how much the driver had to fight the wheel in older cars

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    If sims have taught me anything (and of course always take anyone using a sim to talk about RL with a grain of salt), modern F1 cars are easier to drive, they are not easy to drive. The difficulty of driving them is a different beast to tame. Sure you aren't holding on to the car one handed as you shift with the other hand...but the G-forces today are absurd and the speed at which things happen is next level.

As far as Hamilton's smoothness, the other thing I would say that old F1 heads hate is that today's drivers are on another level. With their fitness and training regimes, combined with sports science and the reams of data they have access to drivers today optimize their ability to drive the cars to an intense degree. I have nothing but respect for older drivers, but in a straight up shoot out of pure ability to drive F1 cars, I'd take most modern drivers over most older ones all things being equal and both drivers being in their primes.

A few weeks ago, I watched a youtube video of a guy talking about driving an old (2012) Renault F1 car around Paul Ricard in France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE7mgfwd6M8

The channel is VINwiki, who has quite a few cool stories related to cars. The guy talking has his own channel - Seen Through Glass - where he basically travels the world and looks at cool cars. His description is great though.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Okay so obviously the sheer speed at which things happen in today's day and age basically write off the old masters like Fangio from ever being competitive in a new car, but I'd love to see Hamilton try to set a top three lap time in a BRM V16 from 1955.

Fuck-all aero, lightswitch power delivery, suspension that may as well be a plank of wood as compared to the majesty modern cars, a gearbox where you actually have to rev-match and double de-clutch (there's no computers or hell, even any fucking synchromesh to do it for you), all on top of the physical violence of driving the car means you might crack a rib, you're ingesting literal ounces of Castrol esters from the exhausts of other cars over the course of a race, tyres made of dust and hatred, unassisted DRUM BRAKES...

Yet they drove those cars generally completely out of shape, most of them were serial drinkers and smokers. Yes the cars were rough and tumble, and they were unquestionably brave and tough as nails...but as good as pure drivers as the guys today who start when they can barely pedal a two wheel bike and have spent their entire junior careers in training and fitness programs? I just can’t agree the drivers today are not unquestionably the pinnacle of what a human as a racing driver can be (until that state of the art leaps forward again inevitably).

Jasconius wrote: »
    the cams from the 80s and 90s were not attached to their helmets im pretty sure. they were mounted to the bulkhead behind their right shoulder

I know that. I used Massa's view because it shows how bumpy life still is in modern motorsport.

You don't see that in F1 because the T-cams are so heavily stabilised and they don't have the helmet cameras.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    wh9etbo1hlso.png
    Right, and those are like LMP1. LMP2 are basically just heavier underpowered LMP1 cars.
    Back around 2000, their used to be LMP675. Which were, like, 3/4 scale and maybe open cockpit, versions of the LMP900 cars of the day.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

February 28th! I'm really looking forward to series 2 not only because the 2019 race season had excellent drama but also because the first series was such a huge surprise for how good it was

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Anyone in the market for a genuine modified fairly recent F1 car? https://www.pistonheads.com/news/motorsport/1-000hp-tonne-tdf-1-goes-on-sale/41697

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Cormac wrote: »
    Anyone in the market for a genuine modified fairly recent F1 car? https://www.pistonheads.com/news/motorsport/1-000hp-tonne-tdf-1-goes-on-sale/41697

20p2dv7wag5b.png

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Just buy a Rodin instead:

https://rodin-cars.com/models/fzed

Just buy a Rodin instead:

https://rodin-cars.com/models/fzed

Or, and I'm not making this up, the FZERO

https://rodin-cars.com/models/fzero

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.