As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Do know who the tau are pairing with in their psychic awakening box?

Possibly genecult? But that's just from the Shadowsun preview images being ones from the book,

I have hear Genecult and Necrons so I make fun of how the "9" edition has gone from Black Templars Vs Orks to Space Wolves Vs Orks to Tau vs ?

To be fair, I don't think there have been any rumours about Tau getting a new box set. They're just almost certainly getting paired with at least one other faction for their Psychic Awakening update.

Tau vs Necrons wouldn't make much sense for PA because the former doesn't really have any psykers (unless GW are planning to finally stop being coy about what's going on with the Ethereals and even then that's only one possible answer among many), and the other actively tries to suppress anything to do with the warp. Tau vs Genestealers would make a lot more sense for a pairing in that respect.

Not having psykers doesn't make a difference for Psychic Awakening, Dark Eldar got an update just fine without them.

Well, mostly.

Speaking of, I missed most of the conversation about that book. It didn’t seem to be meta-shaking. Are Incubi worth their points yet?

Incubi are meh. Their changes helped them but they're suffering hugely from a meta where everyone's geared up to kill infantry units with a 3+ save.

Drazhar is outrageously good now after his points drop in Chapter Approved. Genuine little murder machine and probably the closest thing the Eldar have to a Smash Captain.

The rest of the changes haven't been hugely impactful. A couple of the custom traits are worth taking (Expert Crafters for CWE in particular).

The Eldar book has been extremely good to me, a Tau player, because everyone seems to have ditched Alatoic for Expert Crafters and oh boy does that flip the matchup from really bad to extremely good very quickly.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

Possibly genecult? But that's just from the Shadowsun preview images being ones from the book,

I have hear Genecult and Necrons so I make fun of how the "9" edition has gone from Black Templars Vs Orks to Space Wolves Vs Orks to Tau vs ?

To be fair, I don't think there have been any rumours about Tau getting a new box set. They're just almost certainly getting paired with at least one other faction for their Psychic Awakening update.

Tau vs Necrons wouldn't make much sense for PA because the former doesn't really have any psykers (unless GW are planning to finally stop being coy about what's going on with the Ethereals and even then that's only one possible answer among many), and the other actively tries to suppress anything to do with the warp. Tau vs Genestealers would make a lot more sense for a pairing in that respect.

Not having psykers doesn't make a difference for Psychic Awakening, Dark Eldar got an update just fine without them.

Well, mostly.

Speaking of, I missed most of the conversation about that book. It didn’t seem to be meta-shaking. Are Incubi worth their points yet?

Incubi are meh. Their changes helped them but they're suffering hugely from a meta where everyone's geared up to kill infantry units with a 3+ save.

Drazhar is outrageously good now after his points drop in Chapter Approved. Genuine little murder machine and probably the closest thing the Eldar have to a Smash Captain.

The rest of the changes haven't been hugely impactful. A couple of the custom traits are worth taking (Expert Crafters for CWE in particular).

The Eldar book has been extremely good to me, a Tau player, because everyone seems to have ditched Alatoic for Expert Crafters and oh boy does that flip the matchup from really bad to extremely good very quickly.

Yeah... I think most Eldar players are (understandably) more concerned about the Marine match-up right now, and Alaitoc does relatively little against them.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    My techmarines are either really old, 30k resin dudes, or Fierros. I need to get the actual Techmarine model at some point.

The GW Techmarine with Servitors kit comes with the two servitors I need to complete a collection, so I think that purchase might be in my future.

I have an old space marine command squad kit that comes with an apothecary and tech marine and all that jazz if you're really interested. it is plastic but it's also from 2004.

Most definitely. I'm at work right now but I'll send you a PM when I get home and we'll see if we can work something out. Messaging on the mobile version of the forums is a chore.

Sure. I can try to take some pictures of the box as well to see if you're interested in it.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

Well, mostly.

Yeah... I think most Eldar players are (understandably) more concerned about the Marine match-up right now, and Alaitoc does relatively little against them.

I only play Siam Hann my brother Biel Tan so one runs circles around gun lines the other depends on certain things

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    good news, suppressors look incredible in MKV jet packs. so happy with this

yn6Q2kl.jpg

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Adeptus Diddy Kong

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    I feel the supressors would look better with the interceptors bodies

i've seen those and do not dig them.

the thing i love about the suppressors is they remind me of mobile suits from Gundam.

Adeptus Diddy Kong

hah! did not consider. mkvs on inceptors, dual wielding peanut guns.

Matrias wrote: »

i've seen those and do not dig them.

the thing i love about the suppressors is they remind me of mobile suits from Gundam.

I would keep the hood and just chop down the barrel or do a bullpup
    dahf5boyv4hq.png

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    So I was looking up reviews of the Kill Team rules for Sisters of Battle (I've heard they are bad), and among the google results I stumbled across a direct link to this pdf that's on a games-workshop.com address. It's obviously not for kill team rules (for one example, the Superior alone is 175 points), it's also not for standard WH40K nor Apocalypse. It does seem to be for a small-unit skirmish game with some kind of skill system. The url indicates it was posted in April 2017. Anyone have any idea what this is for?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Looks like Shadow War, the ill fated skirmish ruleset that came out just before 8th.

website_header.jpg
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Ah, okay, thanks!

I'd completely forgotten about Shadow War: Armageddon. All I could think of was Heralds of Ruin but this obviously wasn't for that since it was from an official GW url.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited January 2020
    i knew about primaris at the time when shadow war came out, so i kooked it as a cynical attempt of dumping scout stock before a new space marine army revamp

Matrias on
    Man, I bought the Shadow War box set (alongside a box of Wyches) as my first foray back into 40k and I can't even be mad that it was such a short lived ruleset. That thing was absolutely stuffed with terrain and how well it sold probably gave GW a kick to push Kill Team and Necromunda again.

Really? I thought you started 40k earlier. I came back about the start of Shadow War {The Facture of Biel Tan was it as I got a bunch of the board games and went back to Gw's site for the first time in years. I had no idea what the Ynnari were and was shocked they really were moving the story forward}

I played in 2nd and 3rd edition, took a protracted break, picked up Fantasy just before it made the switch to The End Times (fantastic timing on my part there) then jumped back over to 40k again.

I'm one of the people that 8th edition brought back to the hobby, basically.

It's also weird to know I quit playing at the end of 5th I had robotically bought the 6th starter a little before I quit but I did not open it or do anything with it. When I was getting back into 40k I bought the 7th edition starter which expect for one model was the same game {A Chaplain in one a Chaos Champ in the other} So I get confused because I know I don't have the 6th or 7th Eldar codexes {I am probably going to get them for a compete set ideal}
    It was the Ynnari that brought me back as I was meh about the Dark Eldar because you were handcuffed to the haemonculi for all their toys to be an effective army. And they finally did plastic harlequins!
    Just when I took my eldar army to play against someone at the GW store they were shocked I had the metal wraithlord and other models. I answered for the Eldar they basically pumped the brakes on them about new models

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    My campaign is growing: I pitched the idea to the other two coworkers who I thought would by mildly interested and they were overwhelmingly interested instead. One of them gave me his top-5 list and wanted to get right in to the narrative building portion of it, apparently having spent the weekend pouring over the Games-Workshop & Fandom pages. I'm going to talk to the other tomorrow and see what her fancy is.

My supervisor overheard me pitching the campaign and the next day asked if he could join too which surprised me; I didn't think he'd be into something this nerdy, but apparently he's always wanted to play some war games. I've got some leftover Primaris that I think would suit him, and I think I'll paint them as Iron Ravens because he's a big Patriots fan. Any suggestions on which citadel color best represents their scheme? I'm thinking it's Kantor blue. Also, is there a cheap place online to get a single transfer sheet for custom chapters?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Write "Tom brady is a pansy" in cruddy freehand on a banner he'll love it

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    17588f85.jpg

Man. I really think GW have underestimated exactly how strong this trait is.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    It's good, but balanced by the fact that Sisters get wound on 2s by S6 or higher.

Hell, Berserker squads wound them on 2s, they'll have their full 3+ save, but...

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    It is fantastic especially on an army of nothing but 3+ armor saves. Also it is totally a fuck you marines trait. On any other army I would say its broken but due to Sisters limited complement of weapons I think it is okay. Also since they are T3 1W bodies. Could you imagine ignoring -2 AP on intercessors? Ugh.

God I love the new Sisters kits and I think the rules are really good.

Also enjoying how much GW is basically ignoring the next PA book. Nothing but lore so far. And almost 100% of that lore is Magnus based even though it is suppose to have DA/GK in it too.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    On any other army I would say its broken but due to Sisters limited complement of weapons I think it is okay.

The problem is going to be that you can pair VH Sisters up with other factions that bring heavier weapons without losing anything of note. I've already seen a couple of lists floating around that use VH Sisters as chaff for stuff like Iron Hands successors, and they look absolutely monstrous to deal with on paper.

Playing Saturday with my Thousand Sons vs his Imperial Fists. He let me see his list first, because T Sons dont have their PA supplement yet, and because he's a tournament calibre player.

He has BONKERS deep strike denial and Inperial Fists carve up vehicles so I went Monster-heavy. He has a lit of firepower, but I think I match him. He also has little-to-no melee capability, so all 4 Monsters will gobble up any infantry them fight. Priority targets are his sniper units to keep Ahriman, the Prince, and my Exalted Horrors safe- the Eliminators, Phobos Captain, and (with a 3 cp strat) the Stalker Boltrifle Intercessors. The Exalted Horrors are my main anti-armor, but my spells can help with that, too. Depending on deployment, I'm going to try and get the Screamer into his backline to tie up the Whirlwind.

Here's my list- 2k, 2 Battalions, 13 CP, still deciding spells and relics, and I'm still weighing taking Fateweaver vs a generic Lord of Change. Both are the same cost and there's benefits to both.
    ++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [85 PL, 1,301pts] ++

+ HQ +

Ahriman [7 PL, 131pts]

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch [9 PL, 195pts]: Malefic talon, Wings

+ Troops +

Rubric Marines [14 PL, 178pts]
    . Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol
    . 8x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun
    . Rubric Marine w/ Soulreaper cannon: Soulreaper cannon

+ Elites +

Scarab Occult Terminators [11 PL, 191pts]: Hellfyre Missile Rack
    . Scarab Occult Sorcerer: Force stave, Inferno Combi-bolter
    . 3x Terminator: 3x Inferno Combi-bolter, 3x Powersword
    . Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Power sword, Soulreaper cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Mutalith Vortex Beast [8 PL, 125pts]

Mutalith Vortex Beast [8 PL, 125pts]

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Daemons) [51 PL, 695pts] ++

+ HQ +

Changecaster [4 PL, 83pts]: Staff of Change

Lord of Change [17 PL, 250pts]

+ Troops +

Horrors [4 PL, 70pts]
    . 10x Pink Horror

Horrors [4 PL, 70pts]
    . 10x Pink Horror

Horrors [4 PL, 30pts]: 10x Pair of Brimstone Horrors

+ Elites +

Exalted Flamer [5 PL, 50pts]

Exalted Flamer [5 PL, 50pts]

+ Fast Attack +

Screamers [8 PL, 92pts]: 4x Screamer

++ Total: [136 PL, 1,996pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

And here's his list- 2k, Brigade, 15 CP, but he's spent about 6 of it on toys and upgrades
    ++ Brigade Detachment +12CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [104 PL, 1,995pts, 9CP] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Imperial Fists

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [12CP]

Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of extra Relics

+ HQ +

Chapter Master in Phobos Armor [5 PL, 99pts, -3CP]: Camo cloak, Hand of Dorn, Master-crafted instigator bolt carbine, Storm of Fire, Stratagem: Chapter Master, Stratagem: Sentinel of Terra, The Vox Espiritum, Warlord

Librarian in Phobos Armour [5 PL, 101pts]: 4) Fortify, 5) Tenebrous Curse, Camo cloak, Force sword

Primaris Chaplain [4 PL, 77pts, -1CP]: 4. Mantra of Strength, 5. Recitation of Focus, Litany of Hate, Strategem: Master of Sanctity, The Eye of Hypnoth

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [5 PL, 110pts]: 4x Infilltrator, Infiltrator Sergeant

Infiltrator Squad [5 PL, 110pts]: 4x Infilltrator, Infiltrator Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 103pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
    . 4x Intercessor
    . Intercessor Sergeant: Hand Flamer, Thunder hammer

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 181pts]: 2x Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Stalker Bolt Rifle
    . 9x Intercessor
    . Intercessor Sergeant: Power fist

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 163pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
    . 8x Intercessor
    . Intercessor Sergeant: Power fist

Scout Squad [7 PL, 66pts]
    . Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
    . 5x Scout w/Boltgun

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [5 PL, 111pts]: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant
    . Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Invictor Tactical Warsuit [6 PL, 131pts]: Fragstorm Grenade Launcher, Heavy bolter, Incendium cannon, 2x Ironhail Heavy Stubber

Primaris Apothecary [3 PL, 60pts, -1CP]: Strategem: Chief Apothecary

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [7 PL, 123pts]: Assault bolter x2, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

Inceptor Squad [7 PL, 123pts]: Assault bolter x2, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

Suppressor Squad [4 PL, 90pts]
    . 2x Suppressor: 2x Accelerator autocannon, 2x Grav-chute
    . Suppressor Sergeant: Accelerator autocannon, Grav-chute

+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad [4 PL, 72pts]
    . Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt sniper rifle, Camo cloak
    . 2x Eliminator with Bolt Sniper: 2x Bolt sniper rifle, 2x Camo cloak

Thunderfire Cannon [4 PL, 92pts]
    . Techmarine Gunner
    . . Servo-harness: Flamer, Plasma cutter

Whirlwind [4 PL, 87pts]: Storm bolter, Whirlwind vengeance launcher

+ Dedicated Transport +

Impulsor [4 PL, 96pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Bellicatus Missile Array

++ Total: [104 PL, 1,995pts, 9CP] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    All the traits are strong, especially when you go for the combos with Sacred Rites and an Imagifier or two. The weakest is Argent Shroud and it’s not even even that weak realistically.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    The Sisters book has been out for long time now guys and I've played a lot of games in December, tried a few things out, Valorous Heart is the only actually "good" trait and even then you're not competitive tier. It makes Sisters infantry probably the mathematically best objective camper for the points, but no Space Marines player is going to lose Doctrines for that minimal survival increase when most objective camping units are spending their time out of line of sight.

And trust me, when I played against a Ravenguard competitive list that trait was completely useless and the disparity in army strength was on full display. Aggressors put out so many shots it's absurd, Litanies are the stupidest things in the game (+2 to charge AND 6 inch Pile In AND 6 inch Consolidate?) and the half of his army that wasn't Aggressors was Eliminators (they're most accurate when ignoring LoS, fantastic) and Scouts so my characters providing important auras had a fun time. Just so many goddamn shots, turn one assaults, it's brutal.

Sisters of Battle are strictly casual fun tier at the moment, although that doesn't really bother me.

The trait I've been using primarily is Our Martyred Lady, mostly because my army is painted that scheme and I like the fluff, Celestine is from OML, and it's pretty fun, lets you run big 10-15 girl units and if they suffer any casualties +1 to hit for the rest of the game is so nice. Meanwhile any MSU squads dying give you an extra miracle die.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I’m thinking I want to go for a Sacred Rose army but as a relative noob I’m not sure what units I should focus on.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Well you have one troop choice and then most of the other unit choices in the book use those same models so getting the Battle Sisters box is a safe starting point.

Then I personally love Seraphim and Celestine, both in how they look and their effectiveness on the field, so would recommend going in that direction. But as always IMHO just follow what you think looks cool and try to optimize it afterward.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    @italianranma If you have players who are new that are going to be in a campaign with experienced players you could help the new players feel like they are "contributing" more by linking their smaller missions with the larger missions from longterm players of the same faction.

For example, new guy Jim is playing his Space Marine in a capture the leader Killteam mission against new guy Joe's Tau. Jim wins the game, capturing Joe's leader, who is then interrogated. Jim's Killteam is able to relay that tactical information to Rick (who is a long term player with a Space Marine army) who is going to play against Tim's Tau in a normal game of 40k. Since the main Imperial force has been tipped off about the location of the Tau force the Imperial player might get a bonus (something nice but not overpowered, like +1 command points).

If Tim's Tau force ends up beating Rick's Space Marines than the next Killteam mission might be set on a portion of the same battlefield, as Jim's Space Marine Killteam is tasked with finding a piece of relic wargear that was lost by one of Rick's HQs that was killed, but upon arriving at the site of the previous battle they run into Carl's band of Orks who are scouting around for scrap to scavenge, for example. If Carl's scouting force of Orks are victorious than they could report back to their Warboss that there are plenty of opportunities for krumpin' in that territory, which brings in Steve's fullsize Ork army into the picture.

If the new players who are only doing small Killteam/500 point/etc games can have their missions be prequels or sequels to the larger games it might help them feel more involved with the campaign, as opposed to if their games were just one-offs.

Found this T Sons PA rumor on Faeit-

Apparently you give Cult designations to each PSYKER in the army, including Rubric Squads and Terminatora. They trade Smite for a unique spell, stratagem access, a warlord trait, and a relic.

Hmmmmmm

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    What would be the best prime color for a Maliwan paint scheme? I was thinking white or grey.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Stragint wrote: »
    What would be the best prime color for a Maliwan paint scheme? I was thinking white or grey.

What is it?
    All I can find is a line of clothing and logos

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions Smokestacks. Luckily (or maybe unluckily) I’m the only experienced player in this campaign, so I have a host of different challenges. Not the least of which is putting together 6 new Kill Teams from scratch. I’m not sure how well I’ll be able to pull that off and start next month. I’m about 30% done though so I think I’ll make it. In another week I’ll be working 12 hour shifts, but there’s going to be a lot of down time during those shifts, so I’ll be writing the majority of the campaign then. I’ll make it into a google doc and share it here to get some feedback.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

What is it?

https://www.google.com/search?q=borderlands+maliwan&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS843US843&sxsrf=ACYBGNQ-Wt6kEXz-P4nu5hfa3KtmXr1-6g:1578626090179&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiL_dm6iPjmAhUzHjQIHTknBtwQ_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1920&bih=1009

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

What is it?

https://www.google.com/search?q=borderlands+maliwan&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS843US843&sxsrf=ACYBGNQ-Wt6kEXz-P4nu5hfa3KtmXr1-6g:1578626090179&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiL_dm6iPjmAhUzHjQIHTknBtwQ_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1920&bih=1009

That is what I found

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, white and black with orange highlights?
    I think I'd start with a white base. Easier to paint the orange and white if you're starting at white, then you can put a light drybrush or a wash to dirty it up a bit.

But, I'm not a great painter, so I could be wrong on that front.

edited January 2020

What is it?

Maliwan is the weapon & shield manufacturer in Borderlands that focuses on improved elemental effects. Their color scheme is a sporty pattern in white, orange, & blue (but typically more of an azure or dark cyan than like a sky, royal, or navy blue), with a bit of black. The manufacturer's specific pattern & palette varies for different item qualities. BL uses a spread with color coded item names, similar to World of Warcraft; poor (white)/common (green)/rare (blue)/epic (purple)/legendary (yellow orange), and then usually adds a couple weird grades above epic that vary by game. But anything higher than epic quality usually has a unique paintjob.

The schemes from Borderlands 2 are:
    ukdn4o0nxkrs.png
    And here's some of them actually on weapon renders:
    idq8qsrfse2b.jpg

I've always thought it would be a good look for Tau, although I'd probably make things easier and just use the Maliwan color scheme in a traditional Tau arrangement rather than try to mask things to get that diagonal effect.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The dirty white might work well with the contrast white over contrast primer, if you want to go down that road.

Otherwise either a light grey, for example Vallejo grey primer, with white highlights and then colours should work well.

Definitely a light coloured primer though to make it pop and easier to paint.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    You can also get a dirty white by thinning the grey contrast paint with the contrast thinner over a Grey Seer and use that as a good starting point.

PSN Fleety2009