As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [NHL] Thread - On Dadanov’s No-Trade List

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I'm sure a lot probably don't know the headbutt rule. I'm also sure 99% of them know the kicking rule. But if the puck looks likemits about to go in, if only you could hit it a little bit moooorrrreeee....

Everyone is gonna try to hit it, regardless of the rule. Tonight a penguin in the goalie crease tried to punch the puck through the goalies pads, like, 3 times. But, like, adrenaline, you know? Anything that gets the puck across, even if it comes back.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Good guys vs the bad guys for gold at the World Juniors.

Also good guys vs bad guys for bronze if you are from Scandinavia

Good guys win 8-)

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I'm still a bit confused how flipping it over the boards isn't a penalty because it hit the camera on the outside of the boards.

But whatever, woo.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I haven't found the rule myself in the book and am too lazy to look but apparently the "fixtures" on the ice like score clock etc.. are "in play" and this camera was one that is a fixture so therefore it deflected out.

if the camera wasn't there it 100% would have been a penalty.

If I was a Russian fan I would be super duper pissed off right now.

But, you know, maybe don't blow a 3 goal lead then lose your shit and get down 5 on 3...

edit:
    Could be this.

l "135 iv. A player who lifts the puck from the defending zone and hits the scoreclock or any structural object above the ice surface, causing a stoppage of play, will not be assessed a penalty."

BUT, I imagine we'll see a statement from the IIHF today confirming at some point.

double edit:

The camera is 100% out of play physically, not even on top of the glass except for a piece of the mount. That is a blown call and crushing for Russia.
    Unless the IIHF has some other crazy reason that's an extremely costly mistake.

Aridhol on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Wait, what happened?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Canada should have got a delayed game penalty and been down 6 on 3 but the ref overruled a linesman and Russia got fuckered.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    By any chance, was the ref Norwegian?

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Wait, what happened?

Canada killing a penalty in the last 2 minutes up 1. They clear the puck out of their own zone over the glass but it hit a camera and for some reason this negated the stupidest penalty in the rule book. It seemed to take the wind out of Russia’s last attack as they took a couple penalties themselves afterwards.

Too bad so sad for Russia

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    What would the penalty have been? Just that they made the puck go to high when they tried to send it back to the other side?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited January 2020
    Brody wrote: »
    What would the penalty have been? Just that they made the puck go to high when they tried to send it back to the other side?

Puck over the glass (from the defensive zone) is a delay of game penalty, in normal circumstances

There was one a dozen years ago where Matt Cooke took a slapshot to clear the puck from the defensive zone, it traveled the length of the ice, but went over to boards behind the opposing goalie, and he got the two minute penalty.

The even stupider ones are when a player swings at a puck in midair and the refs call it intentional instead of a deflection.

Burtletoy on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Nichushkin recently scored a goal when the goalie tried to clear and it got his visor and went in.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    "Fuck you, Jobou, I do it myself"

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I have never seen someone fake being on a 2 on 1 before. That's crazy.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I swear NHL GMs are unable to hire from anything other than the smallest club of failed coaches...

Just for once I would love one to hire someone new.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    That’s pretty much all sports. Look at the NFL right now.

finnith wrote: »
    I swear NHL GMs are unable to hire from anything other than the smallest club of failed coaches...

Just for once I would love one to hire someone new.

Well, a few years ago, the New Jersey devils went with an outside hire, and youngest coach in the league. Some guy named John Hynes and it didn't work out for them at all!

So it makes sense that the preds want someone, like John Hynes, with previous NHL coaching experience.

I actually hope that more guys like Sheldon Keefe get the nod from their parent clubs. I think the minors are decent for developing coaches, too.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    This is only Hynes second NHL job, this isn't like trotting out Ken Hitchcock or something.

:so_raven:
    edited January 2020
    Corvus wrote: »
    This is only Hynes second NHL job, this isn't like trotting out Ken Hitchcock or something.

But he was....pretty bad at his first NHL job.

No NHL team re-hired Mike Johnson after he flamed out with the penguins, and he went 58-37-15!

In much more important news

Tristan is an NHL all star!

Burtletoy on
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I don't know what is going on, but I just got home and turned on the TB v VAN game which instantly had the Bolts score 3 goals in like a min (including a 4th that didn't count because everybody thought the 1st goal went off the crossbar and kept playing). That also included the 2nd goal of those 3 being an own goal by VAN's goalie. Rough night for Markstrom.

edit- Poor guy.

https://www.nhl.com/video/kucherov-scores-goal/t-311593418/c-5057099

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It’s been a good game so far. Was a give and take kinda game until the Lightning went crazy in the end of the second.

Edit: first time I’ve ever seen a shot on goal that looked like it hit the post but actually went in and isn’t noticed until about 30 seconds later when we score again.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Ya I was real confused at what was taking so long. It didn't look like there was any interference or offsides. Then when the ref made the announcement I had a good couple secs being real confused going "huh". Don't think I've seen a goal called off because we had already scored a goal before.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Holy Shit!!! At the end it looked like a pick up game the way there kept feeding the puck to Carter Verhaeghe. Even after his hat trick.

50433.png?1708759015
    Vegas announcers are pretty good.

Spending a lot of the intermission talking about Vegas prospects and stuff.

Wish penguins guys did that

I think the All-Star jerseys get worse every year.

• Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Those look like work-in-progress Photoshops.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
    Apparently they are supposed to look like sheet music (the blues! Music note!) because it's in St Louis.

But if no one points that out to you they just...kinda...look not great (although some of the logos look great! The white blues one. The black coyotes one. But the bruins/preds/penguins all look like shit)

You could say... they look like sheet.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The white ones look like someone got a bunch of big iron on patches and put them on shirts from old navy.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    Apparently they are supposed to look like sheet music (the blues! Music note!) because it's in St Louis.

But if no one points that out to you they just...kinda...look not great (although some of the logos look great! The white blues one. The black coyotes one. But the bruins/preds/penguins all look like shit)
    Yeah I had a feeling that’s what they were going for but it doesn’t come across very well at all.

They're awful

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    The St. Louis jersey is playing an F, which is the grade I give to the designer who put those things together. All star game jerseys are usually bad, but these are egregious.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I didn't mind last years jerseys, but they weren't exactly bold design choices or anything. These are.... yeah, pretty groady to the max.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yeah honestly last year's all star jerseys were fine. They were very toned down/muted compared to previous years, but they looked pretty good, especially in person.

My issue with these is mostly the colour choices on the team logos. they went for a single colour, and on some teams, it looks and works very well. On other teams.... it looks awful, like they picked the wrong colour.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Oh wow! I did not realize it had been since 2013 that a goalie scored. Great on Rinne and the team!

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Dude's been playing in the NHL since 2007 and this is his first goal? What a slacker.

Looked up his stats, man that save % this year is something else. What the hell happened?

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Corvus wrote: »
    Looked up his stats, man that save % this year is something else. What the hell happened?

Goalie coach Mitch Korn, who I think has a pretty good argument to make for being the best goalie coach of all time (with Francois Allaire as a strong contender as well), moved on with Barry Trotz to Washington. Rinne didn't just fall off a cliff without Korn, but has slid a bit with the relatively inferior coaching.
    Certainly not the only factor, but when you lose one of the best in the world helping you, that's gonna have an effect.

chromdom on
This discussion has been closed.