As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Laserion

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Laserion

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    sawellssawells Registered User regular
    I was just wondering if I should consider Lasic rather than the glasses I've been wearing for decades, and I think the information in this strip may be affecting my decision.

Twitter: @EssayWells
  • Options
    ProtectedProtected Registered User regular
    Get the LASIK if you can. It's not particularly painful, just profoundly disturbing and it will make you feel like you have sand in your eyes for a few months. No more glasses getting scratched, fogged up or lost, or distorting and limiting your vision, or having to be removed for certain activities. Eyesight will be great for potentially many years in all but the worst lighting conditions. Best decision you'll ever make, just be careful it's approved by a good ophthalmologist because some people can't get this surgery safely due to the thinness of their corneas.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    My wife got the lasers. They lied and said that afterwards it would be great. It wasn't. One eye was all blurry and they kept on saying it was inflammation and it wasn't. Finally her eye doctor had to tell the lasik people it wasn't inflamed and it wasn't right. You have to realize that the first time you are paying for it but for the corrections they have to do it out of their own pocket. She got the correction and she is fine but just don't believe everything they say when you walk in.

Also there's this. It is surgery and there are risks.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Protected wrote: »
    Get the LASIK if you can. It's not particularly painful, just profoundly disturbing and it will make you feel like you have sand in your eyes for a few months. No more glasses getting scratched, fogged up or lost, or distorting and limiting your vision, or having to be removed for certain activities. Eyesight will be great for potentially many years in all but the worst lighting conditions. Best decision you'll ever make, just be careful it's approved by a good ophthalmologist because some people can't get this surgery safely due to the thinness of their corneas.

That's going to drastically vary from person to person.

An ex of mine had it done and when she was back at home she was in excruciating pain and couldn't stop crying for basically the whole day after. We even called the Dr back to make sure it was normal.

And Mike here from the strip also seems to have had that experience.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

Or the flatness of their corneas. *sigh* First time anything on my body has been described as "flat" and wouldn't you know it, it's a bad time for it...

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Or the flatness of their corneas. *sigh* First time anything on my body has been described as "flat" and wouldn't you know it, it's a bad time for it...

Got those washboard corneas.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Unfortunately because I have severe astigmatism, I am not a good candidate for LASIK.

I talked to an alright Optometrist and a very good Ophthalmologist. The consensus is they could make my eyesight better but I'd still need glasses, just a lower prescription, and I was like nope.

zepherin on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I got PRK instead of LASIK. It has a longer healing time, but heals without leaving a scar. The first night after surgery I didn't take any pain meds and it was the worst pain I've ever been in. I couldn't sleep, but I also couldn't do anything to pass the time because I couldn't see.

For a long time after healing even, I found myself slightly disappointed, because while my pre-surgery vision WITH glasses was better than my post-surgery vision.

That said, a few years out from it, the benefits of not needing glasses are worth it.

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    2nd time is way less painful than the first time.

First time the eye sand feeling and extreme sensitivity sucks, I think it lasted 3 weeks for me. The hardest part is if you shower and get water in your eyes your first instinct is to squeeze your lids and rub your eyes, but you learn right quick that is a bad idea.

But the 2nd time that didn't happen at all, it was maybe a couple of hours of sensitivity and almost full recovery the next day.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Unfortunately because I have severe astigmatism, I am not a good candidate for LASIK.

I left a bit out. In addition to severe myopia, I have pretty bad astigmatism (my current optometrist is the first ever in my life to actually have a pair of the proper power toric trial lenses on hand). Before the my corneas were declared a total loss, the pitch was that they would do both an intraocular lens and PRK. The whole thing would have been staggeringly expensive, so it was just as well they changed their mind and kicked me out.

It would have been nice if they'd just looked at the flatness first, before running me through just about every eye machine in the shop over the course of an hour. Or that I could have known before driving there through heavy snow.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I've been tempted to check out LASIK in the past. I have astigmatism in both eyes and in the past I got the impression that was always a deal breaker, but it sounds like in recent years it could possibly still be done. I'll admit it would be lovely to wake up in the middle of the night and be able to see the time on the alarm clock without having it almost literally touching the end of my nose. On the other hand, my eyesight is something I definitely don't want to risk having messed up more than it is already. I've worn glasses since the 2nd grade (I'm almost 45 now) and I switched over to contacts in the 11th grade, so it's not like I'm not accustomed to life with poor vision.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    I was actually just considering LASIK since I've come into a bit of money. But I have to admit this thread is giving me second thoughts.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Has Gabe ever actually worn glasses? He's a totally different story from Mike.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I got Lasik and it was the best money i every spent. My prescription before was -4.25 in one eye, and -4.75 in the other. After, they told me i was at better than 20x20. Can't remember any great pain, just having to wear sunglasses outside for a file of weeks. My regular glasses before that were transitionals which had seemed like a great idea when i bought them but meant that in any outdoor situation rain or shine (and florescent lighting indoor) i had sunglasses, and i hated it. So wearing actual sunglasses for a couple of weeks was no big deal. After that, for years, i never wore sunglasses even when very sunny.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I’m back to glasses because my eye doc recommended reading glasses for things I can’t read up close with my Hubble Telescope like contact lens prescription.

The irony is, I can read just fine without glasses. it’s just distance I have a problem with. So, yeah, fuck that noise. I didn’t get contact lenses, in the first place, just to have to put glasses on anyway. Don’t we have a permanently-crewed space station and probes exploring Mars? We’re living in the future here, give some options that don’t suck.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    I’m back to glasses because my eye doc recommended reading glasses for things I can’t read up close with my Hubble Telescope like contact lens prescription.

The irony is, I can read just fine without glasses. it’s just distance I have a problem with. So, yeah, fuck that noise. I didn’t get contact lenses, in the first place, just to have to put glasses on anyway. Don’t we have a permanently-crewed space station and probes exploring Mars? We’re living in the future here, give some options that don’t suck.

As a 44 year old, let me just say it's a matter of time for you. Sad, but true.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    I've been tempted to check out LASIK in the past. I have astigmatism in both eyes and in the past I got the impression that was always a deal breaker, but it sounds like in recent years it could possibly still be done. I'll admit it would be lovely to wake up in the middle of the night and be able to see the time on the alarm clock without having it almost literally touching the end of my nose. On the other hand, my eyesight is something I definitely don't want to risk having messed up more than it is already. I've worn glasses since the 2nd grade (I'm almost 45 now) and I switched over to contacts in the 11th grade, so it's not like I'm not accustomed to life with poor vision.
    I was told this year, to wait about 2 years and they should be at the point where they can reliably correct astigmatism.

Now I have so much curve on my lenses that I can't use plastic frames (lenses will eventually break free of the clips). I don't know about your scenario, but that's what I was told, 2 months ago by an ok optometrist.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    I got LASIK, no regrets. No real pain during the procedure, irritation and some pain the day after, almost all better in a week. Occasional dry-eye for a couple of months after. I got it done at a high-end place, don't skimp on your eyes! Get an actual doctor to do the procedure, not a technician.

Also, I wouldn't get PRK if at all possible... that sounds like the hell Gabe was describing.
    LASIK =cut cornea flap, zap cornea with laser to shape into lens, put cornea flap back on. Cornea heals the (very fine) cut quickly.
    PRK = Dissolve your outer cornea with acid, shape underlying cornea into lens. Wait for your cornea to regrow the outer layers (which is super painful!).

This is akin to getting surgery normally vs just removing the skin in the way and waiting for it to grow back. Ow.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    zepherin wrote: »
    I was told this year, to wait about 2 years and they should be at the point where they can reliably correct astigmatism.

Now I have so much curve on my lenses that I can't use plastic frames (lenses will eventually break free of the clips). I don't know about your scenario, but that's what I was told, 2 months ago by an ok optometrist.

Last time I mentioned it was probably almost 2 years ago and the eye doc just recommended a place where I could get evaluated. I guess he didn't say that they could correct astigmatism, but at the same time he knew I had it and didn't say, "Yeah, they won't be able to do it with your eyes." I haven't looked into it yet mostly because for the past few years I've been working full time during the day and taking classes in the evening, so I haven't felt I have time to deal with it.

That, and I feel I'll probably be fine unless society crumbles and my glasses get broken. At that point I'd be easy pickings just like so many glasses-wearing characters in movies. ;)

MarcinMN on

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

That, and I feel I'll probably be fine unless society crumbles and my glasses get broken. At that point I'd be easy pickings just like so many glasses-wearing characters in movies. ;)

But you'll finally have time!

• Options

But you'll finally have time!

I understood that reference. ;)

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Man, I wanted to get lasered too. Guess it's not as much of a no-brainer as I thought. I'll have to consider this more.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I have been enjoying PA comics from not long after they started making them.

Please don't come here for medical advice.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    cr0ftcr0ft Registered User new member
    One of the issues I have with LASIK and the other surgeries like these is that they're quite young, in the sense that there isn't a huge amount of data about what happens as you age. Wearing glasses is not that bad, compared to having your eyes crap out on you entirely. Plus, when you check out sites lasikcomplications.com and others where people describe being permanently transported to hell after the surgery - well, more or less - you realize that this surgery is a little bit like rolling the dice. Most people get a net benefit, but the minority who don't can't go back in time and undo it. I'm sure they'll keep refining the methods but it's still surgery that can go badly wrong. It's not like getting a haircut. It's not an automatic "hmm these glasses are a little annoying, I'll just carve up my eyes to get rid of them" thing.

• Options
    McFodder wrote: »
    I have been enjoying PA comics from not long after they started making them.

Please don't come here for medical advice.

Agreed. Only come to Penny Arcade for sexual advice.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Apogee wrote: »
    I got LASIK, no regrets. No real pain during the procedure, irritation and some pain the day after, almost all better in a week. Occasional dry-eye for a couple of months after. I got it done at a high-end place, don't skimp on your eyes! Get an actual doctor to do the procedure, not a technician.

Also, I wouldn't get PRK if at all possible... that sounds like the hell Gabe was describing.
    LASIK =cut cornea flap, zap cornea with laser to shape into lens, put cornea flap back on. Cornea heals the (very fine) cut quickly.
    PRK = Dissolve your outer cornea with acid, shape underlying cornea into lens. Wait for your cornea to regrow the outer layers (which is super painful!).

This is akin to getting surgery normally vs just removing the skin in the way and waiting for it to grow back. Ow.

PRK still has a market for people that do contact sports that can dislodge the Lasik flap. Being hit in the head AND getting your eyes fucked up is adding injury to injury. So for some people the less pleasant recovery is worth it to avoid future trouble.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm already at a sports risk due to thin, easily-detachable retinas

I've been considering LASIK or similar for years, mainly for vanity

Once I have the money I'll check it out properly

It might not last forever, but I've been wearing glasses for over a quarter of a century, and I don't get on with contact lenses, so it'd be nice to see without glasses for a while, and then start over with a not-terrible prescription that doesn't make my eyes look tiny

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

As a 44 year old, let me just say it's a matter of time for you. Sad, but true.

Oh, that’s well understood, believe me. I have no illusions about the ability of science to forestall the inevitable indefinitely, unlike the popular but less-than-scientific periodicals which have been claiming that we are one generation away from immortality for too many generations to sustain the credibility of such claims. And if we fix everything else, then there’s the brain. A neural network which is like the grid in a game of Minesweeper, that inevitably ends even if none of the pathways result in immediate destruction.

That said, in the age of CMOS and CCD sensors, and contraptions that correct the blurry vision of a space telescope sufficiently to immortalize on digital “film” the awesome fecundity of the stellar nurseries of the very early universe, while also taking stunning pictures of objects many orders of magnitude closer to us, I do kind of expect the science of vision correction to advance beyond, “oh, that only slightly inconvenient thing we gave you fixes your vision one way, and hoses it another way, so put on these things Benjamin Franklin wore to see up close.” The alternative being a fallback to human Kryten’s zoom mode of moving one’s head closer to the object.

Maybe that’s unreasonable. Blame it on the crankiness of my old age, which the average in many industrialized nations is steadily marching towards, and in some cases, has stolen a march upon by quite a number of years.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht