As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Street Masters is the neatest god damn game ever my stars

Where else can you play a cannibalistic, chainsaw wielding blood magician trying to stop a homicidal, living bioweapon with the mind of a 3 year old from pumping experimental mutagen into a swamp while being harrassed by giant mutant alligators

NOWHERE IS THE ANSWER

Based on your description of the game, Street Masters doesn't seem an appropriate name. Sounds like it should be more like Florida Man Hunt.

There's a lot of better names for it, honestly.

Crazy House of Punches for one

So Is street Masters actually good?! Now I kind of want to buy it?!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      Whelp. Can't say I'm surprised with the way the last few months have gone.

Note: All this is speculation, but probably from good sources.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/elfkbq/massive_layoffs_at_ffg/
      A large amount of people have been laid off from Fantasy Flight Games and Fantasy Flight Interactive.

Fantasy Flight Interactive is set to be closed down completely.
      https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6620002528014712833/

Most, if not all, the RPG department has been laid off.

Numerous other employees have been cut in an large reorganization of the the entire studio following the departure of several key members of the company that have been there for years.

FFI never really seemed to get traction, but more than that... it seems like Asmodee bought FFG just for the distribution channels and NA production rights. The comments imply the LCG and Board Game divisions are okay, but I really did like their RPG output - especially what they were doing with L5R.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      It's odd they made that company in the first place since Asmodee already has people who digitize their games. Why not just use them?

Stinks though. Probably shouldn't have use LOTR as the first game.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
      I've almost never liked a digitized board game. It removes most of the point, at least for me, of playing a board game in the first place.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
      edited January 2020
      Original video games that take after board games can be really great, but actual straight up digitized board games have always felt off. There needs to be an allowance for how the different medium wants to behave.

edit: Hah, apparently that was what they tried to do for Fantasy Flight Interactive's only released game, and it never took off the ground. Can't win 'em all, I guess! For my part, I only ever heard of their version of the LOTR card game tonight while reading up on their division's demise.

BloodySloth on
    • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      Yeah. The marketing was super weird. Like.. they announced it, AND announced a special edition of the physical LCG that I don't think has released yet.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
      I figured their starwars rpg pretty big and successful though

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

I imagine they will stay in print, just with no new releases. Im bummed about no more Genesys setting books though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
      Origin ID: Discgolfer27
      Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
      webguy20 wrote: »

I imagine they will stay in print, just with no new releases. Im bummed about no more Genesys setting books though.

I doubt they're getting out of RPG books entirely. Rather, they're shifting to contract work for them. Blame the Asmodee merger.

Someone on Reddit pointed out that the Asmodee merger was 6 years ago now. It really doesn't feel that way. It feels more like pre- Christian T. Peterson, post- Christian T. Peterson, and now Post-Navarro. Trying to save money probably represents their MO, and explains things like not reprinting the X-wing products they have a lot of stock of.

Still, FFG got me into board games, but if the world moves on without them... I'm still satisfied. I love what they are doing with L5R and want to see that continue, but in terms of board games the only regrets I have are the lack of expansions to New Angeles (I know I'm never getting that) and Arkham 3rd, and that they never made Android 2nd. And who knows, they may still do all that! ... Well, except New Angeles x-pac.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

Where else can you play a cannibalistic, chainsaw wielding blood magician trying to stop a homicidal, living bioweapon with the mind of a 3 year old from pumping experimental mutagen into a swamp while being harrassed by giant mutant alligators

NOWHERE IS THE ANSWER

Based on your description of the game, Street Masters doesn't seem an appropriate name. Sounds like it should be more like Florida Man Hunt.

Oh heck yeah. It's amazing.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

NOWHERE IS THE ANSWER

Oh heck yeah. It's amazing.

I saw it at my local store and had to do a double take. I passed on the Kickstarter campaign but didn't realize it was hitting retail!

It's pretty damn cool, although one of my primary character cards came ripped all to hell in the box for some reason.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
      Street Masters bought!

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
        I want a space game but can't decide between Firefly, Star Wars Outer Rim, or Xia. I think Xia looks the coolest but also is wildly expensive, and I'm not sure I can justify dropping $180 on... Any game really. But especially one i haven't played.

• MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
        Firefly is definitely showing its age at this point and is a huge table hog (esp. with the big box expansions). I haven't looked too closely at the others: Outer Rim seemed like it was being touted as a Firefly-killer, but I feel like I've heard some rumblings that maybe it was a bit over-hyped. I don't think I've heard anyone say anything negative about Xia and it seems like it's on a number of people's favorites lists. Personally, I'm sticking with Firefly, I think it's good enough for me

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
        Xia is fun but slow with 3, at higher player counts it becomes an amazingly long time until it becomes your turn. Even with three people everyone is taking an NPC turn after so it’s more like six players. Granted the NPC are scripted but they still move around and roll dice. I love all the systems of the game but combat feels very weak, and if no one does combat whoever randomly gets the best missions wins? The ships look amazing and the theme is great though.

38thDoE on steam
        🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
        Ah_Pook wrote: »
        I want a space game but can't decide between Firefly, Star Wars Outer Rim, or Xia. I think Xia looks the coolest but also is wildly expensive, and I'm not sure I can justify dropping $180 on... Any game really. But especially one i haven't played.

I've played Xia, it was fun but felt very Amerithrashy. Lots to do, but it didn't feel clear how to put things together on an effort to win. You just fly around, upgrade, do stuff, get points.

I haven't played Firefly or Outer Rim, but I had OR is very similar and more streamlined (shorter) and also Star Wars. I've been wanting to play/buy Outer Rim for awhile but haven't had the chance yet.
        I think recently Outer Rim went down to $50 on Amazon, might check that out if game cost is a strong factor between them.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
      • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
        edited January 2020
        Firefly is a tablehog, and a time hog, and I think it only really begins to shine when you start working in its bigger expansions.

But fuck I love that game. Its enormity and inefficiency give it life.

BloodySloth on
        We played Dark Souls with all the bells and whistles last night. It gets a bad rap but holy hell we love that game.

And did xanthous king jeremiah scorch the hell out of my dang ol' taint repeatedly last night? oh yes he did

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
        edited January 2020

Xia is famously awful (the often cited thing is that you get a point if you ever roll a 20 and you settle rules disputes by rolling dice so the best way to play is to dispute all rules, but both of those are rules that I imagine most people ignore) but I'm sure there was an expansion that papered over the worst problems

Mojo_Jojo on
        Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
        Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Xia is famously awful (the often cited thing is that you get a point of you ever roll a 20 and you settle rules disputes by rolling dice so the best way to play is to dispute all rules, but both of those are rules that I imagine most people ignore) but I'm sure there was an expansion that papered over the worst problems

Wow, really? I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Dang it's even at a 7.9 on BGG. That seems pretty good.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
        Space game? Why settle for anything less than High Frontier, the best space game~ <3 ;D

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
        Firefly is ok, but it has one of the worst rulebooks I've ever read.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
        And did xanthous king jeremiah scorch the hell out of my dang ol' taint repeatedly last night? oh yes he did

Okay, sure, but how'd the game go?

• El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
        Space game? Why settle for anything less than High Frontier, the best space game~ <3 ;D

I recieved a trade offer for my copy of New Angeles yesterday offering me SpaceCorp. This lead me down a rabbit hole of economic space games that ended with me watching a 5 hour video play through of the High Frontier 4 all protype. Which lead to me pre-ordering High Frontier 4 all and accepting the trade offer for SpaceCorp...

BNet: ElMucho#1392
        Origin: theRealElMucho
      • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
        edited January 2020

Xia is famously awful (the often cited thing is that you get a point of you ever roll a 20 and you settle rules disputes by rolling dice so the best way to play is to dispute all rules, but both of those are rules that I imagine most people ignore) but I'm sure there was an expansion that papered over the worst problems

Can't trust BGG ratings for expensive Kickstarter games with limited retail exposure, I think. I played Xia once and agree with the criticisms above- it has all the basic mechanics that you'd want in in a space smuggler/pirate sim but doesn't tie them together in a fun way. I'm sure that the people who rated do really enjoy it that much, it's just that they are the 3% of us who would enjoy that game the most.

Lykouragh on
        Wait xia isn't $180.

The expansion stuff is cool but I don't think any of it is required

Elvenshae wrote: »

Okay, sure, but how'd the game go?

it was passable

Lykouragh wrote: »

Can't trust BGG ratings for expensive Kickstarter games with limited retail exposure, I think. I played Xia once and agree with the criticisms above- it has all the basic mechanics that you'd want in in a space smuggler/pirate sim but doesn't tie them together in a fun way. I'm sure that the people who rated do really enjoy it that much, it's just that they are the 3% of us who would enjoy that game the most.

oh yeah that is for sure true.

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
        El Mucho wrote: »

I recieved a trade offer for my copy of New Angeles yesterday offering me SpaceCorp. This lead me down a rabbit hole of economic space games that ended with me watching a 5 hour video play through of the High Frontier 4 all protype. Which lead to me pre-ordering High Frontier 4 all and accepting the trade offer for SpaceCorp...

I want High Frontier pretty badly but I do not know anyone who would even conceivably want to play it with me :(

Wait xia isn't $180.

The expansion stuff is cool but I don't think any of it is required

My understanding, having never played any of it, is that the big expansion is basically mandatory to fix the base game. At that point you're in for $140-50 might as well get the other stuff too.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
        Ironically, the problem I ran into is that all of us who would play it each owned it. So I sold mine a few months ago. <_<
        It's a phenomenal experience that represents a very interesting circle of board gaming. The newer stuff all has solo modules of some assortment, though I cannot vouch for their actual fun value. Still ...

https://spacebiff.com/2020/01/08/oath/

A write up about Cole Wehrle's Oath which sounds infinitely fascinating. Well worth reading.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
        https://spacebiff.com/2020/01/08/oath/

A write up about Cole Wehrle's Oath which sounds infinitely fascinating. Well worth reading.

Yeah. I have been reading his design diaries too.

I'm 90% sure I'll back it

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
      • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
        Feels like Cole Wehrle games are going to be auto-buys for me barring something dramatically out of my wheelhouse. He's upsettlingly good at game design.

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular
        Lykouragh wrote: »

I must be part of that %3 as I think Xia is pretty good. It's definitely doing it's own thing which might not be what you want when you sit down and play but it does that thing very well.

I view Xia as more of a low-complexity space simulator where the fun is the freedom you've given to basically do anything you want. You start out in a little ship in a tiny corner of space and the rest is up to you. Want to be an explorer that ventures far into the unknown in search of treasure? Xia supports that. Want to be a space miner pushing your luck for the big score? Xia supports that. Pirate preying on your fellow players/npcs? Xia supports that. Bounty hunter going from mission to mission? Xia supports it. Space trader with a dash of smuggler? Xia supports it.

Games of Xia usually end with people remembering the cool stories that happened rather than some strategic stroke of brilliance. If the setting and concept of being a small space free trader who works his way to greatness appeals to you, then you'd probably like Xia. If you're looking for something more euro, then just fact that you roll dice to move in Xia would probably be enough to turn you off. The expansion adds a bunch of cool new tiles which are mostly navigational hazards and fixes the trading system so the most efficient trade route will eventually run dry but you don't need it if Xia is your type of game and if it's not then the expansion won't magically make you like it.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
        Xia is way better if you house rule that blind jump into the sun is a fame point

Shit it seems I can still late pledge high frontier 4. Why do I visit this thread??

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
          Played Dont Get Got during our family's holiday. The game is slight but it adds a wonderful degree of paranoia to all social interactions. The times when someone was falsely accused of playing the game were more memorable than the times they got away with playing the game.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
          edited January 2020
          Tried a 5er of Villanous with my suggestion for "Fate everyone who hasn't been Fated since their last turn" modification.

It... was too much Fate. We all got buried by Heroes (or, in Facilier's case, had a ridiculous Fortune pile) and weren't able to free up the additional actions, which kind of snowballed. Was worth trying, at least.

All of the new Villians seem fun. Yzma won as her mission rewards her being repeatedly Fated. I was close as Ratigan but they hit the 2/5 chance they had to stop me, which happens. Scar took too long to find Mufasa and was never really able to get rolling.

Vyolynce on
          nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
          AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social