As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metal Gear Solid] Konami remembers it used to make games (MGS3 Remake Delta announced)

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It can get shot at random then burn some until it explodes. Also they shoot it down it seems.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
  • Options
    No, it's not a new Metal Gear game. But this is a pretty cool interview about the original English translation of Metal Gear Solid, and more generally Woolsey translations vs literal ones.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Too bad Kojima didn't ask him to explain what he did or if he did didn't listen.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't call his work "woolsey". That's more or less the best practice... Especially in games where the game culture is the same as the target language or a made up culture. I.e. MGS is 100% America. World of Warcraft is made up with influences from all over the world. The only reason you would NOT localize like that is when you want to keep the source cultural flavour. And, even then, you should really rephrase anything that becomes awkwardly said on a straighjacketed translation.

He's 100% right in what he did, MGS1 is by far the best "written" of the series in English. He intuitively arrived at the same conclusion we work with today.

If you're good at translation in itself and you follow his ideas, you're already a top localization expert.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i've followed mr. blaustein on twitter for a little while now, he's a pretty cool dude

also worked on symphony of the night, the silent hill series, and one of my personal favorites, suikoden II

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Metal Gear: Still in our Hearts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFJqOlYaJbs

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Appropriately enough, getting Liquid Snake to spout such shitbag nonsense is peak meme

Cam Clarke is such a dude

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Appropriately enough, getting Liquid Snake to spout such shitbag nonsense is peak meme

Cam Clarke is such a dude

The best YT comments have been along the lines of, "I am very worried Cam Clarke is becoming Liquid Snake."

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Finally got around to MGSV and I'm currently dicking around in Ground Zeroes. Is there a way to make your helicopter leave when you don't want it there? The game says to walk away from it and it will depart, but I can hoof my ass all the way to the other side of the fucking map and it's still hanging out until eventually it gets shot down. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I believe you cancel it the same way you call it. Go to your I-droid and see if you can give an order to it when it's on station.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I could swear I've tried that and it only lets me pick a new landing zone. I'll have to check again.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I'll check it next time I play. It does expire eventually. Plus just by playing the game you'll get so much GMP you never really need to worry about depleting it unless you research everything at once.
    Plus Morpho's voice never changes so hey! He's just really lucky! Or has a large family. All for revenge!

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    You never see Pequod and Morpho in the same room, really makes you think

• Options
    I am damn near to the end of MGSV. Good grief I've been playing this since July. There sure is a lot of game here for being unfinished.

Currently stuck on extreme cloaked in silence. Is there an intended way to knock out Quiet non-lethally? The ol supply drop trick doesn't seem to work here, apparently she learned to dodge it. I've tried sneaking about and popping her with tranq shots, but she ALWAYS gets me with the one hit kill. If that sniper icon is up for more than a second you are dead meat.

Also, hallelujah she's wearing clothes! Maybe my wife will stop giving me the side eye.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I am damn near to the end of MGSV. Good grief I've been playing this since July. There sure is a lot of game here for being unfinished.

Currently stuck on extreme cloaked in silence. Is there an intended way to knock out Quiet non-lethally? The ol supply drop trick doesn't seem to work here, apparently she learned to dodge it. I've tried sneaking about and popping her with tranq shots, but she ALWAYS gets me with the one hit kill. If that sniper icon is up for more than a second you are dead meat.

Also, hallelujah she's wearing clothes! Maybe my wife will stop giving me the side eye.

The supply drop trick still works, you just need to distract her by popping your head up when the box is about to bop her.

Of course, I just ignored the whole non-lethal thing for that mission and called in a tank instead.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Worth noting in this thread if anyone missed it, but Metal Gear (MSX), Metal Gear Solid, and MGS2 are all up on GOG for PC folks.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

The supply drop trick still works, you just need to distract her by popping your head up when the box is about to bop her.

Of course, I just ignored the whole non-lethal thing for that mission and called in a tank instead.

I kept trying this but she would still dodge anyways. After like 5-6 attempts I gave up on it. I wonder if you could drop a tank on her...

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    For the box drop trick to work, you still need to draw her fire to keep her in place. Get behind cover, call the drop, and pop up and fire at her direction and let her SEE you enough to fire back. You'll know that's the case when the laser/ring icon is on you. You have about a second to fire and get back into cover, or use rolling or diving.

She also has a bolt action rifle, so she cant rapid fire it. The instant the bullet hits, you can pop back into her line of sight.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    The easiest way to distract Quiet for the support box trick is to get her dancing in the rain. Call for a weather change to rain immediately after calling for the support box and she'll reliably take it to the dome.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Worth noting in this thread if anyone missed it, but Metal Gear (MSX), Metal Gear Solid, and MGS2 are all up on GOG for PC folks.
    Do they... work?
    I tried the original releases of MGS and 2, and neither of them wanted to work with my PC. Like, at all.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    klemming wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Do they... work?
    I tried the original releases of MGS and 2, and neither of them wanted to work with my PC. Like, at all.

They're on GOG. So yes.

(I haven't picked them up myself. But this is kind of GOG's thing. Those old games that just will not work on a modern PC however hard you try... now they do.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm playing MGSV again for some reason.

Though not really "again" since I didn't get very far in the first time.

Making the helicopter music Maneater really works well. On the one hand I am a lady who shows up at night and murders/kidnaps/robs a bunch of people then leaves before morning. On the other the song is about the unchecked greed of NYC in the 80s.

It's almost too on the nose.

Anyway I have a mod to give Quiet clothing and another mod to make her shut the fuck up with the humming and it's basically a perfect game now.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I always rocked Rebel Yell as my helicopter song. It worked so fucking well.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    That song has never made sense to me. Also I don't drink whiskey, so probably not for me on any level.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    So I happened upon this while looking for a Quiet comic...

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/fk4qbs/metal_gear_solid_5_the_silent_war_comic_fanfic/
    (or https://tapas.io/series/Metal-Gear-Solid-5-The-Silent-War )
    5nyi95j5c8n41.jpg?width=1000&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=f19f930e94a109e9b028445982d531272b4e7af2

It's pretty good! (lol)

It's basically the artist's attempt to tell the 'proper' story of V with all the omissions. It starts out great, and rapidly goes into some serious fanfic territory, but the art is very nice.
    (Be warned, some chapters are NSFW, clearly marked.)

4yjhi4yi29s8.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Grove wrote: »

I used Only Time Will Tell, those opening notes just always hype me up.

Sure as the suuuuun will crossss the skyyyyy

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It was the Airwolf theme or Africa for me, Airwolf blasting out for chopper support calls ruled

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I too use Maneater for the chopper music but had it set to Gloria for a while for the absurdity factor. Imagining all these guys pissing their pants whenever Gloria comes on the radio.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I've had You Spin Me Round as my chopper theme for at least 100 hours because choppers spin their rotor blades around very rapidly. I like the idea of enemy soldiers cowering behind piled up boxes in the last moments before they get chaingunned down, thinking "They're not just playing that as a helicopter joke, are they? That's so du-GRK"

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I just started playing Ground Zeroes again. Gonna spend the next 10 hours trying to extract fuckin' Glaz and Palitz

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Nyan Cat for me.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Grove wrote: »

I used Only Time Will Tell, those opening notes just always hype me up.

Sure as the suuuuun will crossss the skyyyyy

Having the chopper unload gunfire or missiles (can't recall exactly which) while it's screeching 'MORE MORE MORE' was one of my favorite gaming moments.

I really should replay that game.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    For more sandbox fun, I can't recommend highly enough the Infinite Haven mod. You can essentially play custom settings forever. Enemy vehicles, patrols, Skulls and elites in open world. Custom base assaults. More player customization. It's an extremely minimal time investment which restores a ton of personality to the actual sandbox. You can even alter enemy and player health and vision values to be Rainbow Six style realism where one or two rifle shots can kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R9OFwQJyeA

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I put on one of Wham's iconic songs because not only is it roughly time period accurate, Morpho generally starts shooting the guns when the lyrics start goin' "boom boom" and "bang bang bang"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgZ7gMze7A

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Goes great with warcrimes!