As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I think I would be justified to say that this is just an amazing, amazing show.

I see what you did there.

But seriously, let's talk about the Olyphant in the room...

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    I think I would be justified to say that this is just an amazing, amazing show.

I see what you did there.

But seriously, let's talk about the Olyphant in the room...

That entire sequence was just a total non sequitur delight.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Also, brilliant pivot with the Medium Place idea.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I don't really see what Shaun gets from the planned system. The conflict he loved is gone, and the lesser demons hate acting (except Vickie). They just like twisting people. Or biting them.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    I don't really see what Shaun gets from the planned system. The conflict he loved is gone, and the lesser demons hate acting (except Vickie). They just like twisting people. Or biting them.

I think he'll get the conflict of trying to prove that people are bad. Now he can get to try to screw over all the humans, and presumably end up clashing with Michael for eternity, which he's discovered he gets a kick out of.

Also, I hope we can put the doormat residents of the Good Place to go through testing as well, there's no way they should get to just keep their eternal reward.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

I think he'll get the conflict of trying to prove that people are bad. Now he can get to try to screw over all the humans, and presumably end up clashing with Michael for eternity, which he's discovered he gets a kick out of.

Also, I hope we can put the doormat residents of the Good Place to go through testing as well, there's no way they should get to just keep their eternal reward.

And the lesser demons still get to torture humans during their trials, without having to go to the extremes of penis flatteners and butthole spiders. With the erasing and repeating cycle, it'll be less effort for more payoff for them. Plus knowing their charges are groundhog day'd would be hilarious to them.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Shaun gets to love his job again and have fun. He'll be working to thwart plans, and not just be torturing humans handed to him. He'll be an active participant in constantly evolving situations instead of a reactive cog in an uncaring machine.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I wonder what Tim stole from the set.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I wonder what Tim stole from the set.

Our hearts

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting that Team Cockroach isn't dead in the current timeline so I'm wondering what will happen to them. Go back with their memories wiped?

• PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    I keep forgetting that Team Cockroach isn't dead in the current timeline so I'm wondering what will happen to them. Go back with their memories wiped?

They are dead in the current timeline. They died the instant Janet first brought them into her void.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    After that fucking epic Bourne'ian action sequence (that is not a coincidental reference).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Pirates of the Caribbean 12.

Well done.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Pirates of the Caribbean 12.

Well done.

And Elon Musk's Cybertruck.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Here's a good article on how Schur landed this week's cameo, and how the cameo was actually telegraphed earlier in the season without anyone noticing, because OF COURSE THIS SHOW WOULD DO THAT.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    The Jacksonville plea bargain had me laughing hysterically

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Here is a nice article about the last episode by one of the Good Place philosopher consultants.

Also, I still feel weird about having no one from the Good Place (the "place" not the show) be developed as a "serious angel" as a sort of Michael counterpart to help with these types of decisions. I don't know if that is a) just a conscious decision about not wanting to get into ideas about heaven/angels that might have caused some backlash and have more freedom playing around with demons, b) still some sort of plot point that we'll see in these last four eps, though that seems like not much time to introduce a new character, which might lead to c) my probably crazy theory that Michael is actually an angel that realized the point system is was all forked up long before the show started, and that he's been an undercover angel working towards this end from the beginning.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    My issue with that theory is: Does Michael being an undercover angel rather than a reformed demon add to the show in a meaningful way?

I don't feel it does.

Here is a nice article about the last episode by one of the Good Place philosopher consultants.

Also, I still feel weird about having no one from the Good Place (the "place" not the show) be developed as a "serious angel" as a sort of Michael counterpart to help with these types of decisions. I don't know if that is a) just a conscious decision about not wanting to get into ideas about heaven/angels that might have caused some backlash and have more freedom playing around with demons, b) still some sort of plot point that we'll see in these last four eps, though that seems like not much time to introduce a new character, which might lead to c) my probably crazy theory that Michael is actually an angel that realized the point system is was all forked up long before the show started, and that he's been an undercover angel working towards this end from the beginning.

I think your C could be a good outcome, but not sure if it fits with the throughline of the show (ie, Michael wasn't changed by the Soul Squad, he was good all the way). Which I think would be sad as it'd mean Michael's conversion was faked, and Michael's emotional breakdowns were awesome. Even if his name is ALL KINDS of foreshadowy.

But if that's NOT the reason, I think the more likely excuse would be that they wouldn't have ended up here in the first place. As we've seen, all the Good Place representatives are feckless weenies. If there'd been anyone with the kind of counterpartness that you'ld need to be an equivalent to Shaun, Trevor, or "evil" Michael, they'd have kicked up a stink for at least the past 512+ years, rather than let things get to the current point.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    My issue with that theory is: Does Michael being an undercover angel rather than a reformed demon add to the show in a meaningful way?

I don't feel it does.

Oh, I can 99.9% guarantee that the theory isn't true, but it just seems weird, and kinda out of place that even in the plan that is going forward, it relies on the active participation of the good place residents and to interact with the demons to come up with the tests. We haven't seen anyone from the good place who is even remotely capable of doing that. Maybe we'll see someone in the coming episodes that fills that role, or maybe they just decided that story didn't involve team cockroach, so they aren't going to tell it.

Don't look at me, I'm just an ideas guy. :biggrin:

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Chidi has attained the Avatar state, gaining access to the collective knowledge and experience of his past lives. He will bring balance to the universe.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

There's a theory floating around that
    the team are all being tested in the exact system that they've just devised, with Shawn and the Judge as the two actual judges - which is why the Judge didn't just immediately hit the delete button and Shawn made a point of saying "Pass" after they all tried to sacrifice themselves.

I don't necessarily like that theory, and think it would be kind of a cheap rehash of the first season twist, but the one thing it would explain is why exactly the Good Place has been so unhelpful throughout the course of the show.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I'm beginning to feel the uselessness of the Good Place representatives is a tip off. Plus, they like frozen yogurt. There is something up with those guys.
    Completely baseless theory: What if they're switched? What if what we think are demons are good placers trying to be demons, and that's why they're so over the top and silly? And the good place reps are demons being smugly useless.

Chidi has attained the Avatar state, gaining access to the collective knowledge and experience of his past lives. He will bring balance to the universe.

He saw the time kNiFe!

A callback to probably my favorite Chidi moment of the series. And that's a frikkin' long list of awesome moments.

If nothing else, I'm still expecting some big twist because there are four episodes left and it doesn't feel like there are quite enough plot threads left dangling to fill them given that this show's pace moves at lightspeed.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    I don't think there are still four episodes left anymore.

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    There are 3 episodes left, with the last one being extra-long, so "four"

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Ah. I had it in my mind that there were three left following the break, with yesterday's being one of those. I'll trust y'all, though.

Yeah, and bearing in mind that that's the same amount of time it took for us to go from finding out that they're in the Bad Place to Michael actually joining Team Cockroach I'm not willing to place any bets on how this finishes yet.

Burnage wrote: »
    Yeah, and bearing in mind that that's the same amount of time it took for us to go from finding out that they're in the Bad Place to Michael actually joining Team Cockroach I'm not willing to place any bets on how this finishes yet.

That's been the one storyline constant, and the one refreshing aspect of the show. Everything you think you know, gets upended, constantly, always making some kind of sense, often foreshadowed, and always for a narrative (and not just a cliffhanger) reason.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The writers really, really hate Democratic negotiating strategies.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was really not subtle

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Madpoet wrote: »
    I'm beginning to feel the uselessness of the Good Place representatives is a tip off. Plus, they like frozen yogurt. There is something up with those guys.
    Completely baseless theory: What if they're switched? What if what we think are demons are good placers trying to be demons, and that's why they're so over the top and silly? And the good place reps are demons being smugly useless.

We've seen the demons just with each other though, and they still act like demons then, so probably not.
    They just like the frozen yoghurt because they see the good in everything to the extent they're useless at actually doing good.

Evermourn on
    Madpoet wrote: »

We've seen the demons just with each other though, and they still act like demons then, so probably not.
    They just like the frozen yoghurt because they see the good in everything to the extent they're useless at actually doing good.

Well bear in mind if this is all a test then they would need to remain in character in this case where previous times they were purposefully breaking to reveal the plot

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    The writers really, really hate Democratic negotiating strategies.
    chromdom wrote: »
    Yeah, that was really not subtle

Indeed. but it was appreciated, speaking personally.

I'm gonna be real sad when I don't have a new The Good Place to watch on Saturday mornings. But hoo boy, what a ride this show has been.

steam_sig.png
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I keep thinking about how good that cameo was. And it really shouldn't have been. There wasn't any substance to it, just a dumb gag that kept interrupting the actual scene. But somehow...it worked?

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    I keep thinking about how good that cameo was. And it really shouldn't have been. There wasn't any substance to it, just a dumb gag that kept interrupting the actual scene. But somehow...it worked?

One of the writers was saying on the podcast that they actually came up with it as a way to ask some of the questions the audience would be asking - like How about Y? but wait, what about Z? and it was a pretty late addition things... which also meant that thanks to Maya not having been available yet (The Judge), they were able to go back and seed the setup for him appearing.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Their podcast is great, I recommend it wholeheartedly.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

Marc Evan Jackson's enthusiasm for the show is just great.

Also, he thinks that deep down, Shawn likes Micheal. Which you know, I can buy/I can see that.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Marathon wrote: »

Marc Evan Jackson's enthusiasm for the show is just great.

Also, he thinks that deep down, Shawn likes Micheal. Which you know, I can buy/I can see that.

He seemed to see Micheal as a protege. As close as a demon can be to one anyway