As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 7 Updater Stuck even in Safe Mode

I have never seen anything like this, does anyone know a way to fix it?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Are you running base Win7? SP1?

There are a couple of cumulative rollup patches that combine a few hundred updates into just like two. If you're working with a fresh install it's worth using those instead of just trusting Windows Update.

If this is an older install, try this:
    Open an admin command prompt
    Type:
    Net stop bits
    Net stop wuauserv

Then go to explorer and into your windows directory, and change the folder SoftwareDistribution to SoftwareDistribution.old.

Then back to the command prompt and type
    Net start bits
    Net start wuauserv

When you go back into windows update it's going to need to detect which updates are already installed again. This can take hours. Let it run over night and hope for the best.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Was this for 1807? I couldn't get it to work on mine and had to basically do a clean install, but gave me an excuse to finally install a new NVDMe

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    I'm not sure, my bosses computer is kind of a train wreck on the best of days, because he doesn't understand he shouldn't run everything at once and stop downloading malware.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Last time Windows Update got 'stuck' in a looping fail state I fixed it by setting the notification icon to 'always visible'. :lol:

That fixed it, somehow, and it stopped crashing mid-update. And that's why I mostly use Linux, because whilst there are bugs, they're almost never quite so dumb/quirky bugs as with Win7...