As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neil Peart Just Died

KetBraKetBra Dressed RidiculouslyRegistered User regular

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/neil-peart-drummer-lyricist-rock-band-rush-dies-67-n1113861
Neil Peart, the prodigiously talented drummer and eclectic primary lyricist for the Canadian rock band Rush, died on Tuesday in Santa Monica, California, according to a family spokesman. He was 67.

The cause of death was brain cancer, which he had been battling quietly for three years, according to spokesman, Elliot Mintz.

Fuck Cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eSlvoO3Vw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWRMOJQDiLU

KGMvDLc.jpg?1

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    my favourite thing in that second video is that he'll occasionally spend 30s to a minute on just one drum out of that whole ridiculous kit, to flex on how much he can do with a single snare as well

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Greatest drummer who ever lived. Fucking sucks.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Well, 2020 already sucks. Just ... fuck.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I know everyone loves him as a drummer -- and well they should! -- but for me, he always really stood out to me as a songwriter

I remember being in my early 20s, and saw a cop let one car go after running a red light but then lit someone else up for rolling through a stop sign, and recalled the lyrics"
    "When you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"

Now, I don't think Peart was writing about the equal administration of justice, but that was the first time lyrics spoke to me in a way that was not the author's original intent, but was a way I could latch onto, and kinda put my own meaning on, and have it apply to something larger in the world.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Lest we forget, Rush was a Canadian band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxlEqO_MA04

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Such a loss. The best of the best.

• Options
    "Endgame is the most ambitious crossover ever"

Rush, Barenaked Ladies, and the Trailer Park Boys:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs4qn_bHQQ0

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    god damnit

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I idolized Neil Peart when I was young and learning to drum. I idolized him as an adult who could drum but would never even see his league from where I am, let alone be in it.

Fuck.

• Options
    I'm glad I got a chance to see Rush live once, when they came to Halifax back in 2013. Still one of the greatest shows I've ever been to. Neil was amazing, of course.
    He was easily one of my biggest influences as a drummer, and I've read his books countless times. Traveling Music became a regular Summer read for me.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Neil Peart was one of those people who was so incredibly good at his craft that it seemed almost inhuman.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    -.-- -.-- --..

RIP

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    I can't express how much this sucks.

I was probably 4 or 5 when I first heard Moving Pictures playing on the turntable. I was blown away then, and 30+ years later, Rush is still my favorite band. I'm fortunate to have caught them live a couple times, including on their final tour. The man simply has no equal.

Fuck cancer.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    It always seemed so tragic for him too. His first daughter and first wife died within a year of each other in the late 90s. it always made me sad because I saw him in concert just a few month's before his daughter died.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Since hearing the news, I've been going back and forth between listening to a few Rush songs, and then not being able to listen to Rush for a little bit. Their music has always been a place of comfort for me, and it will be again at some point. But right now it feels like I've had a warm blanket ripped away from me.

That said, it really speaks to how wonderful the music he helped create was, and the fantastic impact it had on so many of us.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Same Cancer that took Gord too. Fuck this is both hitting hard, and making Gord re-hit again too. Rush and Hip were my literal comforts growing up being shipped around the streets of Canada. No matter how dire it was, I knew whatever store/corner I was living outside of, anywhere in Canada, I'd hear Hip or Rush at least once an hour, and could escape my hell briefly.

Fuck.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I got my Moving Pictures album out today and wanted to listen to it in memory of Neil. It was one of the first CDs I bought for my discman in 1994, but when I opened the jewelbox I discovered Van Halen's greatest hits.

DisruptedCapitalist on