As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    My copy of Oceans arrived tonight and we got a couple of games in with 3 and 4 players. If you liked Evolution, I feel like you'll need to try this one. There's a lot of refinement of those systems in place. It's simpler and more streamlined in some places, less restrictive in others, and access to food becomes a more involved thing that players each have more direct control over. I was a little disappointed that the game doesn't really support the simultaneous play that was possible in Evolution, though. It's tough to say if Oceans straight up overrides Evolution as a game; it's definitely a sequel, and while the two games do different things, at least right now I'm not sure if there's space for both. I'll have to think about it.

One thing that may be contentious is that Oceans feels much heavier on player conflict than Evolution. It makes sense thematically, as there's simply a hell of a lot of carnivory in the ocean, but that may keep some people from enjoying it as much.

What's particularly interesting in comparing the two games is that feeding is now a step removed from scoring, the latter happening at a pretty tightly controlled rate. This allows for some absolutely bonkers cards whose abilities are nevertheless pretty tough to capitalize on. One species may be able to feed like 9+ food a turn, but if they only get to score one of those food tokens a turn, it pretty much just makes them a meat-filled pinata for the rest of the players.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I played a few games of Firefly ages ago and it was quite good and flavourful but seemed a bit slow, I think. Maybe the expansions sped things up, I dunno.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    I've almost never liked a digitized board game. It removes most of the point, at least for me, of playing a board game in the first place.

For me, it's mostly a way to satisfy my craving for a particular game even when we can't get a group together, and a way to have more time to learn and think about the game.

Basically, yes it's not as good as the 'real' game but it's infinitely more convenient and gives you more time with a version of the game at least.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    My copy of Oceans arrived tonight and we got a couple of games in with 3 and 4 players. If you liked Evolution, I feel like you'll need to try this one. There's a lot of refinement of those systems in place. It's simpler and more streamlined in some places, less restrictive in others, and access to food becomes a more involved thing that players each have more direct control over. I was a little disappointed that the game doesn't really support the simultaneous play that was possible in Evolution, though. It's tough to say if Oceans straight up overrides Evolution as a game; it's definitely a sequel, and while the two games do different things, at least right now I'm not sure if there's space for both. I'll have to think about it.

One thing that may be contentious is that Oceans feels much heavier on player conflict than Evolution. It makes sense thematically, as there's simply a hell of a lot of carnivory in the ocean, but that may keep some people from enjoying it as much.

What's particularly interesting in comparing the two games is that feeding is now a step removed from scoring, the latter happening at a pretty tightly controlled rate. This allows for some absolutely bonkers cards whose abilities are nevertheless pretty tough to capitalize on. One species may be able to feed like 9+ food a turn, but if they only get to score one of those food tokens a turn, it pretty much just makes them a meat-filled pinata for the rest of the players.

Also got my first run of Oceans last night and can second pretty much all of this. After a single play, I already prefer it to Evolution. The enhanced conflict is offset by the fact that it is harder for species to actually go extinct; you don't get wiped out for being reduced to 0 population, just if you can't age the maximum amount on your own turn. The overpopulation mechanic is also interesting and keeps any one species from relative safety.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    Street Masters bought!

WHAD YA GET WHAD YA GET

check out the redemption packs if you can, they let you play as the villains and they're a blast

• Options
    Machina Arcana 2nd Ed came as well as the expansion for Food Magnate and ALSO Isle of Cats.

Folks.

I have too many games.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I've almost never liked a digitized board game. It removes most of the point, at least for me, of playing a board game in the first place.

The only digital board game I've gotten into is Through The Ages, which is a game that actively supports and benefits from hundreds of plays but that is basically impossible to play that many times in person. Async multiplayer is a huge boon in that case. But generally I agree.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Ascension is really great as a digital game because fuck organizing all those cards.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Also got my first run of Oceans last night and can second pretty much all of this. After a single play, I already prefer it to Evolution. The enhanced conflict is offset by the fact that it is harder for species to actually go extinct; you don't get wiped out for being reduced to 0 population, just if you can't age the maximum amount on your own turn. The overpopulation mechanic is also interesting and keeps any one species from relative safety.

I take it you guys were backers? Having gotten a run in at Unplugged I'll have to keep an eye out for when it hits retail. It seems like a huge step up from regular Evolution.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Not me but a friend, yeah.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I was a backer, yeah. I will say while I absolutely do not regret backing the game this time, this was North Star's (I think) 7th Kickstarter campaign and I was surprised at how much the last couple of months of it have felt like a company's first Kickstarter campaign. Fulfillment is months late and international backers have had to seek out their own information from fulfillment companies, with many expressing that they have felt left out in the cold.

Anyway that has nothing to do with the game itself which is wonderful. If you're very familiar with Evolution you may also be familiar with the issue of deck bloat; Evolution had this unfortunate tug-of-war issue where draw chance for different basic traits was a really important point to nail for a balanced experience, but also one of the chiefly fun things in the game was seeing all the diversity possible with different weird traits released through expansions and promotional packs.

That issue has now been solved by making two decks; one Surface Deck with all the basic traits in it in even proportions, and one Deep Deck filled with more complex and wild cards that you actually have to spend points to play. The Deep Deck has 89 one-off cards, each illustrated by a guest artist, and during a game you may see 10-15 of them total. This is also where all the bonus cards from the Deluxe Edition and promo cards for the campaign are shuffled. It's meant to constantly provide players with new and weird possibilities and problems to overcome. This leaves the door wide open for them to continue issuing strange and intense new cards without disrupting the basic machine of the game. Even using the Deep Deck at all is optional (though we completely ignored the manual's suggestion to skip it for our first learning game).

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I definitely got seduced into building an extremely rude carnivore by the Deep Deck at unplugged and probably ultimately lost out in part because of the cost of said critter.

It's a very clever addition.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Yeah the fact that evolving Deep traits costs you points is a great balancing act. I also liked the tension of the scenario cards and utilizing migration to both keep the Reef stocked and to (de)activate scenarios.

• Options
    My favorite creature so far used a couple of cheap Deep cards and some basics to become immune to leeching, overpopulating, and extinction, who parasitized the creature to its left and symbiotically gained food from the creature to its right, and couldn't be attacked by a creature with 2 or more attack. Just a complete set-and-forget animal who peacefully collected points the entire game while I was doing other stuff. Lovely.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    My favorite Evolution story is the giant creature with a symbiote riding on it with a symbiote riding on that. Symbiotes all the way down to the left.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Kinda wanna create a thread for folk interested in learning eurogames on yucata.de
    Not sure I could find time to maintain or update it.
    Maybe a different game started every week?
    An idea to be deployed when I got the energy

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Our local KS serial backer texted me an hour ago to ask about getting out Oceans tonight, so way to go thread for mentally preparing me.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    TimFiji wrote: »
    Street Masters bought!

WHAD YA GET WHAD YA GET

check out the redemption packs if you can, they let you play as the villains and they're a blast

Just got core. I'll have to look out for those packs!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
      Ascension is really great as a digital game because fuck organizing all those cards.
      My wife beats me on tabletop Ascension every time, spending 10 minutes per turn mumbling under hear breath, moving cards around in inscrutable piles, and somehow affording great cards every time they turn up.
      I absolutely smoke her every time we play the digital version.
      I like the digital version better.

• Options
      GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
      edited January 2020
      I bought Coup Rebellion and it easilly takes the cake for biggest box to smallest game in my collection. It could probably fit in the original Coup box but instead it is in a box 4 times the size. I guess they expected to make a lot more expansions than the one.

I saw the new? edition of Jaipur and sadly its real ugly. Which is such as shame as the original is so beautiful.

Gvzbgul on
    • Options
      FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
      Madpoet wrote: »
      My wife beats me on tabletop Ascension every time, spending 10 minutes per turn mumbling under hear breath, moving cards around in inscrutable piles, and somehow affording great cards every time they turn up.
      I absolutely smoke her every time we play the digital version.
      I like the digital version better.

She's got cards up her sleeve, man!

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    • Options
      initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
      all i know about evolution is one of us makes a carnivore that doesn't have enough of us to eat to sustain itself, one of us makes an herbivore that takes extra food any time any player takes food from the supply eating the entire ecosystem out of food super fast, and also i was there.

that's like the only game i've ever had a group get 3/4 of the way through and say "ya know what, I'm done with this"

• Options
      TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
      How does Oceans handle carnivores? I remember they seemed very difficult to pull off in the previous games. You needed intelligence to have a good chance at making them successful.

• Options
      edited January 2020
      Tertiee wrote: »
      How does Oceans handle carnivores? I remember they seemed very difficult to pull off in the previous games. You needed intelligence to have a good chance at making them successful.

You no longer need any particular trait at all in order to feed on another species. There are a lot of traits that remove your ability to feed in one way or the other, so if you intend to do really well with predation or foraging, you'll typically be locking that species out of doing the other (but not necessarily).

Defensive traits that straight up make you immune to being attacked are less common and more situational; more frequently you'll see a card come with a Defense value that essentially acts as damage reduction, making your attacker take X less food from you. Attacks are usually much easier to pull off, but on the flipside, feeding on other species is typically less of the dramatic attack it was in Evolution and more part of a constant flow of resources from one species to another. The food that gets taken from you wouldn't all have gotten scored that turn anyway (most likely) and also will be hanging out on your attacker's card for a while, too, so who knows if they'll even be scoring it. Another mitigating factor is that extinction is way less of an imminent threat in Oceans compared to Evolution; species can't get driven to extinction from an attack or if they can't feed, necessarily. This can all get mixed up a bit due to rules-modifying cards.

BloodySloth on
    • Options
      Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
      The Android version of Tigris and Euphrates seems to have disappeared from existence

I paid for this fucking thing and it's been pulled

Wtf

• Options
      Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
      Gvzbgul wrote: »
      I bought Coup Rebellion and it easilly takes the cake for biggest box to smallest game in my collection. It could probably fit in the original Coup box but instead it is in a box 4 times the size. I guess they expected to make a lot more expansions than the one.

I saw the new? edition of Jaipur and sadly its real ugly. Which is such as shame as the original is so beautiful.

Looked up Jaipur new ed. and I don’t get the ugly view, much more thinking they are so similar that I don’t understand why they bothered redoing it at all.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    • Options
      FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
      The Android version of Tigris and Euphrates seems to have disappeared from existence

Wtf

Try going to "Apps & Games" in the menu, then check the Library tab. It shows everything you own, and you can click "install" beside each one.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    • Options
      Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
      edited January 2020

Wtf

Try going to "Apps & Games" in the menu, then check the Library tab. It shows everything you own, and you can click "install" beside each one.

That's what I mean, it isn't there. I had it installed on this phone a while back, then removed it, and now there's no trace of it. Googling the issue turned up some other folks with the same problem but no explanation. Super weird.

Yellow and Yangtze is still there, thankfully, which is largely the same

Edit: I even found my receipt in Gmail, and confirmed the name. This is very strange.

Evil Multifarious on
    • Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Pandemic Season 2: June (first attempt)
      Oof! So, we lost both games in April, both games where our plan was to recon Europe and one of those games we were 1-2 turns from doing so. Just had horrible epidemic draws and lost due to plague cubes.
      So now we start June to have it give us Europe, but now a city is immediately erased from the map and blemished by a huge skull sticker. Did not feel good.
      However, we won! Did 2 searches (Atlanta and another city I can't remember) and reconned Western Asia (black). We won with 7 plague cubes on the board, and knew one of the cards drawn in the next two 3-card draws could have ended it.
      We forgot again to try and trim down our player deck. 7 epidemics is a lot, and it's getting difficult to get cards you are looking for.

Atlanta search
      The heart-wrenching guilt as you scratch off Atlanta's search and find out this new plague was the result of blowing up the CDC headquarters of the bad guys in Season 1. We caused this. Ouch.

Recon black (West Asia)
      Now to have to deal with hollow men too! Which will draw through our infection deck even faster! We've been trimming it down, but perhaps too far. This is likely going to get ugly before it gets better, and it already has felt like we're barely getting by.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      Oh hey, Riot announced they have a Tabletop studio and their next game Tellstones: King's Gambit.

persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
      ArcSyn wrote: »
      Oof! So, we lost both games in April, both games where our plan was to recon Europe and one of those games we were 1-2 turns from doing so. Just had horrible epidemic draws and lost due to plague cubes.
      So now we start June to have it give us Europe, but now a city is immediately erased from the map and blemished by a huge skull sticker. Did not feel good.
      However, we won! Did 2 searches (Atlanta and another city I can't remember) and reconned Western Asia (black). We won with 7 plague cubes on the board, and knew one of the cards drawn in the next two 3-card draws could have ended it.
      We forgot again to try and trim down our player deck. 7 epidemics is a lot, and it's getting difficult to get cards you are looking for.

Atlanta search
      The heart-wrenching guilt as you scratch off Atlanta's search and find out this new plague was the result of blowing up the CDC headquarters of the bad guys in Season 1. We caused this. Ouch.

Recon black (West Asia)
      Now to have to deal with hollow men too! Which will draw through our infection deck even faster! We've been trimming it down, but perhaps too far. This is likely going to get ugly before it gets better, and it already has felt like we're barely getting by.

Erm. What happened to May?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    • Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      edited January 2020
      Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
      ArcSyn wrote: »

Atlanta search

Recon black (West Asia)

Erm. What happened to May?

Pandemic Season 2: May
      This was before Christmas and post-PAX, so apologies for rusty memory and lack of update earlier. Busy time of year.

We reconned Africa (yellow), due to a fortunate card draw that despite wanting to do Europe for 3 games now, we couldn't pass up. We also had a double search city from the start (LA?), so doing that instead of connecting cities pretty much decided our optional objectives.

We won!
      It got a bit tough to start, with a lot of cities running low on cubes, but we kept managing to scrape by, slowly passing cards needed to people who needed them as we moved to the next fire to be put out. I play the supply center builder, and kept drawing all the special cards. Not helpful. However, we we figured out we were 3 turns from winning, knew the top cards to be drawn next weren't going to hurt us, and held one quiet night and it worked the first time? Had it in the bag.

Really was a nice victory lap of doing our turns and smugly bypassing anything that could hurt or distract us from our goal. We needed it after April.

Opal
      I think we found Opal the second half of April, but that's been a help. Getting double supplies when at our havens/supply centers is a huge action saver

Europe recon - I forgot to mention this earlier
      The charter flight action?! Without a card discard? Game changer. Huge benefit we immediately made use of and allowed us to move all over the board. We've got 4 permanent supply centers, perhaps not in the best locations, but good enough to save entire turns of movement crossing the Atlantic. Would love one on the west coast, but - redacted because I realized this may still be unknown even if you've reconned Europe

In hindsight I should have taken a picture of the board after each month.

ArcSyn on
      4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      FryFry Registered User regular
      Pursuant to a conversation from back on page 68:
      yP9X5ADl.jpg
      Damn it's hard to take a decent selfie, who has the time to do this shit on the regular?!

• Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
      Fry wrote: »
      Pursuant to a conversation from back on page 68:
      yP9X5ADl.jpg
      Damn it's hard to take a decent selfie, who has the time to do this shit on the regular?!

Lighting, the most mysterious and dangerous of all sciences, is key.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    • Options
      AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      PMAvers wrote: »

Yeah, I was just coming to post that.

So many duels games these days. I was not expecting this. I still haven't played Cosmic Encounter. The art looks wild though.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • Options
      AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      OMG some good/happy news on the FFG front!

Katrina was the nicest person when I met her at the L5R Launch GenCon. She showed an amazing passion for the setting, and my spirits dropped when she left to become a freelancer/ work elsewhere. Her getting hired on at FFG also speaks about the future of the company, in a positive way.

@PMAvers

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • Options
      DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
      It's hard to be too critical of Cosmic Encounter Duel when the original designer(s?) seem to be involved, but two player Cosmic Encounter seems like a fundamental misunderstanding of Cosmic Encounter.

• Options
      Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
      Oath is apparently going to be $90 excluding shipping, which feels like the neoprene map has unnecessarily ballooned costs

I may actually wait for retail depending on shipping

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    • Options
      Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
      Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
      Oath is apparently going to be $90 excluding shipping, which feels like the neoprene map has unnecessarily ballooned costs

I may actually wait for retail depending on shipping

There was a breakdown that shows it has nearly twice as many pieces as Root for 30% more of the cost, so 90 doesn’t sound too nuts to me

Like, that’s what Scythe costs, and this seems a lot more elaborate than Scythe as far as what’s actually in the box

6F32U1X.png