As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Might need to upgrade my PC

RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
Ok So my current specs are as follows:

- AMD Phenom II X6 1075T 3.00GHz
- 16 GB RAM
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64
- ASUS Strix GTX970

I am wanting to play MHW Iceborne, but when I try to do so now it takes 90%-ish of my CPU according to tracker, which irks me because it ran the base game just fine. I am hoping it's just a case of running Windows 7 still and therefore can't run DX12 for the improved performance. If it is my hardware, what are some good recommendations for some upgrades that won't hit the wallet too, too badly?

Thanks again for the help/advice.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

- 16 GB RAM
    - Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    - ASUS Strix GTX970

I am wanting to play MHW Iceborne, but when I try to do so now it takes 90%-ish of my CPU according to tracker, which irks me because it ran the base game just fine. I am hoping it's just a case of running Windows 7 still and therefore can't run DX12 for the improved performance. If it is my hardware, what are some good recommendations for some upgrades that won't hit the wallet too, too badly?

Honestly your processor is incredibly out of date

Your bet best would be to get a Ryzen 2600 processor and a motherboard and RAM to match

• RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular

- 16 GB RAM
    - Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    - ASUS Strix GTX970

Honestly your processor is incredibly out of date

Your bet best would be to get a Ryzen 2600 processor and a motherboard and RAM to match

Ok so would this be good choices? (Not a major computer knowledge guy)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LCP1JWS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_moGgEb33FAWA0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B41WS48/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3qGgEbQ1HDMHH

And what would be a good motherboard without being too crazy expensive? Would it "worth" it to go with this CPU for the bit more cash?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B428V2L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1sGgEbHR3TANK

Thanks again.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Post in the PC Build Thread and we can give some detailed advice/answers

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular

- 16 GB RAM
    - Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    - ASUS Strix GTX970

Is 90% bad? Are you actually experiencing noticeable performance drops?

• RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    I am not the biggest knowledge of hardware, but the game is now getting very frequent freezing for 3-5 seconds, bad enough to where doing a solo hunt is not even possible.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Post in the PC Build Thread and we can give some detailed advice/answers

Yeah when I have hardware questions I go to the PC Build Thread over in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern and there's usually half a dozen knowledgeable replies.

• SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I am kind of in the same boat. Looking to buy a new computer, or at the very least new mobo, processor&ram, sometime in the next few months.

Do you know about PcPartPicker? It will help you with finding parts, reviews, cheapest vendor, incompatibility issues. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Izuela/saved/#view=ZmkLP6
    As you can see you can make lists for builds, lots of builds. My current computer. Hubby's current computer. Different AMD and Intel builds. Builds with or without graphics card. Builds with a more expensive graphic card. A build with crazy expensive stuff that your hubby made himself after you shared your PW... All for you to oogle and share with others until you make a decision.

Siska on