As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    ReaperSMS wrote: »
    Another read could be the bespin facility was specifically industrial, and not rated for use on organics. Safety regs require food grade carbonite for that. Vader did call it crude, but probably adequate.

The GEFDA would have had a field day if they'd ever seen it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I haven't seen The Mandalorion and would would appreciate if you could take discussions of the show to the thread for it.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Downloaded the fx app and binged all of its always sunny. That's still some high quality television. Loved it.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Downloaded the fx app and binged all of its always sunny. That's still some high quality television. Loved it.

I still think Charlie Work might be my favorite episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZn0njzFL68

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I really wish they had titled that episode "Charlie's Day". I mean, the joke writes itself!

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Top 5 Always Sunnys:

1. Charlie Work
    2. Thunder Gun 4: Maximum Cool
    3. The Gang Desperately Tries To Win An Award
    4. Frank's Back In Business
    5. Mac Day/Flowers For Charlie (coin flip)

• Options
    My favorite episode is probably the wrestling one. The ending had me in tears.

My favorite line from the entire series is when Charlie is talking about burning the trash , where the ashes go up and they turn into stars. The following exchange just makes it. Can't remember the episode it's from, might be Charlie work.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Top 5 Always Sunnys:

1. Charlie Work
    2. Thunder Gun 4: Maximum Cool
    3. The Gang Desperately Tries To Win An Award
    4. Frank's Back In Business
    5. Mac Day/Flowers For Charlie (coin flip)

you're so damn wrong... it's:
    1. Charlie Work
    2. The Gang Gets Analyzed
    3. The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis
    4. The Nightman Cometh
    5. The Gang Hits the Slopes/Psycho Pete Returns (coin flip)

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Best sunny episodes for me are the chardeemacdennis ones. “Dennis is a bastard man!”

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I dunno if I could settle on a top five episodes for Always Sunny, there are just so many episodes with so many different good things. I could maybe do a top five seasons.

It's basically the only show filled with stupidly horrible characters that I can actually enjoy, because they're just so damn determined to be awful and everything always karmically swings back at them just as hard.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    One of my favorite moments of the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE5yvuKoFmE

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    while we're at it:
    https://youtu.be/InbaU387Wl8

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So many great Always Sunny clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSXJfqkT36M

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    My partner has been watching The Circle and I watched a few episodes of it with her.

I have never felt anymore like the youth of the world are essentially extraterrestrials to me.

Or maybe it is I who has become the alien...

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Season 2 of You is really good. Also I enjoyed that they specifically namechecked Dexter at one point.

Joe is probably a more interesting character than Dexter though because he's less self aware. Dexter was all "Im a bad person" wheras joe is unable to think of himself as anything other than the most wonderful white knight ever.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My partner has been watching The Circle and I watched a few episodes of it with her.

I have never felt anymore like the youth of the world are essentially extraterrestrials to me.

Or maybe it is I who has become the alien...

No, it's the children who are wrong

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Watch Daybreak instead, it's actually quite good underneath all the yeeting or whatever the kids call it

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The first episode of Always Sunny I watched that made me go from casually chuckling while it was on in the background to actively watching and honestly laughing was Hundred Dollar Baby

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    There's a new Netflix show up now called Medical Police, a combination of Children's Hospital and NTSFSDSUV, done by the same people. It's not as good as the other two, and making it 22 minute episodes really makes some things drag out, but it's fine for a background show. Not really laughing but it's clever in some places. The real problem is now it's no longer satirizing the cop/medical shows and more being memberberries about the people in the shows that mocked the other shows so it wants you to laugh just by association.

On the plus side it's so cheap it looks on par with some other real Netflix shows oh snap double dab download Raid Shadow Legends.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I think adding Danny DeVito is where it turns around, that first season was rough, if bold.

But Danny DeVito makes everything better.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Jeedan wrote: »
    Season 2 of You is really good. Also I enjoyed that they specifically namechecked Dexter at one point.

Joe is probably a more interesting character than Dexter though because he's less self aware. Dexter was all "Im a bad person" wheras joe is unable to think of himself as anything other than the most wonderful white knight ever.

So I was unfamiliar with this show and have been super confused by the sudden increase in Penn Badgly memes.

“Why is Gossip Girl so popular again all of the sudden?”

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I think adding Danny DeVito is where it turns around, that first season was rough, if bold.

But Danny DeVito makes everything better.

Charlie Gets an Abortion is pretty good.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Just discovered and finished Derry Girls. Wished I knew about this series sooner. Sister Michael and Clare are the best characters. Only downside was the music apparently changed for the final scene on Netflix from Madonna to Take That due to rights and in the first issue the subtitles identify Misirlou as Pump It.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Just discovered and finished Derry Girls. Wished I knew about this series sooner. Sister Michael and Clare are the best characters. Only downside was the music apparently changed for the final scene on Netflix from Madonna to Take That due to rights and in the first issue the subtitles identify Misirlou as Pump It.

I found Derry girls a couple of weeks ago and love it. The first episode really sells it.

• Options
    It's always sunny is a show I can pop on anytime, any episode, and enjoy myself

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Always sunny is kind of amazing, it's constant dark humor but it never gets you down, it's never really nihilistic or pessimistic. That's a pretty tough balancing act that they nail consistently!

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    It works because the dark humor is always happening to the awful people... mostly, anyway. The episode with the bar reviewer pretty much hits the nail on the head: the crew's punishment is basically to be stuck in that bar dealing with each other, forever.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It works because the dark humor is always happening to the awful people... mostly, anyway.

Poor Cricket.

• Options
    It works because the dark humor is always happening to the awful people... mostly, anyway.

Poor Cricket.

On the other hand the gang let's him do him and accepts him as is. It's not healthy for him in the least, but they let him be himself.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

Poor Cricket.

On the other hand the gang let's him do him and accepts him as is. It's not healthy for him in the least, but they let him be himself.

"Him doing him" now is a result of them completely screwing him up earlier, though

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Watched like 3 eps of Russian Doll. So it's Groundhog Day except everyone is an unlikable prick. Checked out.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Watched like 3 eps of Russian Doll. So it's Groundhog Day except everyone is an unlikable prick. Checked out.

Everyone in Groundhog Day remains unlikeable if you stop halfway through the movie

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I think you know that's not true. Also, Groundhog Day didn't make me want to stop halfway through.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I think you know that's not true. Also, Groundhog Day didn't make me want to stop halfway through.

Bill Murray is unlikable throughout that entire movie til basically the end.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

Cock-a-roach.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    If you can't sit through stuff featuring unlikable characters you gotta turn off Rashomon, The Godfather, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, basically 80% of noir movies ever made... I mean I get it, if that's what your tastes are then that's what your tastes are. But it seems like it puts a lot of stuff off limits.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Bill Murray is unlikable throughout that entire movie til basically the end.

He may be, but the statement is still false because everyone else in Groundhog Day is almost always decent and likable. The only douche is the cameraman and it later seems to be he is only that way because of Bill Murray being a dick with him.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    There's not a lot in media that really gets to me anymore but the McPoyles are one of the few things that can make it legitimately uncomfortable to watch. The actors lean into the roles so completely, they're excellent.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Wearing terry cloth robes drinking milk in a bar

• Options
    If you can't sit through stuff featuring unlikable characters you gotta turn off Rashomon, The Godfather, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, basically 80% of noir movies ever made... I mean I get it, if that's what your tastes are then that's what your tastes are. But it seems like it puts a lot of stuff off limits.

Whatever I'm watching, if I've gotten an hour and a half in and it still hasn't gotten enjoyable, odds are I'm turning it off. Internet's opinion of my tastes be damned.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.