As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Nah, this is 'no-one but me could do this' with little respect to history.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Nah, this is 'no-one but me could do this' with little respect to history.

Yeah, he seems to be at least trialling the Trump playbook.

He's forgetting a couple things though. While he's mostly got the media lockdown, he doesn't have the cultish appeal to his followers. He doesn’t have the capacity to instill the same level of fear in his contemporaries. And he doesn't have the same kind of protection of his position.

Also, Australians aren't quite as tribal with their politics. I mean a lot are, but there's much more margin for GTFO than there is in the US.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    At least Trump threw paper towels at the Puerto Ricans. Morrison turned up with nothing and expected handshakes. He's a marketing guy who doesn't understand what PR is.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    *sigh* In one of those, people havent thoguht this through - there's a petition going around to make Koalas an introduced species to new zealand ecluyptus plantions.

I understand it's super traumatic, and you want to do good guys, but maybe, just maybe, we should damage one ecosystem trying to save another? Especially not one that's traditionally been super vulnerable to introduced critters?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Idiots. But also that's not exactly something you can make happen with a petition.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Idiots. But also that's not exactly something you can make happen with a petition.

I know, but it's one of those: It's drawing time away from solutions and things we in NZ could actually do on the wildlife front. Like even just focusing on Koalas, a push for some of our Zoos to house them, for instance, or similar - we're already part of the efforts to keep the Tasmanian devils alive (We have non-breeding populations at both Auckland and Wellington Zoo, who explictly are there to keep them isolated from Devil Facial Cancer. I'm not sure why they're non-breeding populations, however). That would actually be useful/have some informative debate behind it!

Side note: Tassies are seriously cute buggers, and the Wellington Zoo ones are often found in various hilarious poses, such as "The sun is out, therefore, i am ded." *all four legs stuck up in the air while it lies on it's back*

Instead we've got this sucking some of the air out of the room and gaaargh. *Shake fist*

edited January 2020
    Look, we need someone to replace Kangaroo Island.
    And you've already got our possums..

discrider on

Which we're busily turning into hats and mittens, so I think you need so wish to rethink this plan =p

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Which we're busily turning into hats and mittens, so I think you need so wish to rethink this plan =p

i'm going to be turning some Possum into a winter sweater for myself. blended with some polwarth wool it's gonna be so snuggly.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    The cat in my house is fed a blend of possum and veal meat so, y'know, also pet food.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    I do always find it interesting in Aus, seeing the warnings about possums being protected.

n57PM0C.jpg
    Still trying very hard to not do anything on the climate policy front, with words of 'tinkering' and 'evolving' and 'tweaking' thrown around as if an actual policy existed.

Will this be the second PM deposed because he courts a climate change policy?

.. probably not, as he will likely take the fall for the fires without attempting to do anything on the way down.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Today the Morrison government is announcing a pivot: from climate denial to climate adaption.

Basically: "climate change has happened, but we couldn't possibly drop emissions, so instead let's work out how to adapt to a world on fire without hurting our donor's bottom line".

A guarantee that these adaption projects will be outsourced to major consulting firms.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    100% they will - PWC, EY, Deloitte, Accenture. All the usual ones will come and give their glossy presentations that they always do, while achieving sweet fuck all. God I can't stand them.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Wasnt their previous plan, "climate change is real and thats why we need to burn more coal and gas to get ready for it"?

edited January 2020
    More climate change is "real*" but not selling coal to India would be Unforgivably racist.

It'll be fun watching the deniers struggle with this. I could see a climate denial party being formed by the next election, splitting the vote.

*but not too bad, but it'll be good for crops, but we didn't do it, but it's only a theory so why should we trust it, and on and on.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
    I'd love to see that. I'd absolutely love to see a complete balkanisation of right wing parties, split between some sort of Family First happy clappers, climate deniers and Pauline Hanson, all getting fuck all percent of the vote and getting dominated everywhere by centrist left parties for a generation.

This 'pivot' is just more of the same.
    'It's bad now so money for hay and farmers and coastal walls and guns on borders (assuming we stay a desirable climate refuge), but none for the problem, just the symptoms'

Unfortunately, I think it's a play that will work.
    It eases the suffering in the short term, and looks like action on the issue.
    Hopefully the current crisis prevents these future appeasements from looking good.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I'd love to see that. I'd absolutely love to see a complete balkanisation of right wing parties, split between some sort of Family First happy clappers, climate deniers and Pauline Hanson, all getting fuck all percent of the vote and getting dominated everywhere by centrist left parties for a generation.

Probably won't happen, since the meat of the conservative complaint is the idea that government shouldn't regulate industry or increase taxes. You just get a smooth shift from "Not happening!" to "It's inevitable, so regulation is a waste of time. Come browse our catalogue of climate-proof shelters!"

edited January 2020
    Interviewer: " You say you know what people want, but don't you think that many would see these fires as a gamechanger, so would you revisit climate change policy?"
    Environment minister: blah blah recovery, "We are comfortable implementing the policies we were elected on"

So no.
    The government does not think the fires are a gamechanger and will not change their climate policy because of them.

discrider on
    Yeah, they're not changing their policy. Kirribilli could burn down and they still wouldn't. We missed such an opportunity last election - imagine the difference a fleet of water bombers could have made!

back to south east of aus in 2 weeks, so I'm trying to decide how much luggage space to give over to P2 filters. As you do.

it's raining, it's pouring! Looks like the long awaited wetness has arrived. Juuuust starting to see the beginnings of a front moving through Canberra now.

More importantly, it's hitting both the snowy mountains and the south coast, too.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

In other news, it looks like corruption in sports might finally be the thing to get people pissed off enough to finally push for an independent anti-corruption commission?

The future of the country? Who gives a shit.

Sports? WHARGLEBARGLE HOW DARE YOU?!?!?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    i saved this one a while back

peiccehuvfvk.jpg

back to south east of aus in 2 weeks, so I'm trying to decide how much luggage space to give over to P2 filters. As you do.

The P2 masks went out to chemists a week or two back after ScoMo's announcement.
    I don't think there's a shortage anymore.

The P2 masks went out to chemists a week or two back after ScoMo's announcement.
    I don't think there's a shortage anymore.

oh hmm good to know
    I will double check with my contacts in canberra who are distributing to homeless people, just in case. The filters are only good for max 100 hours, often less, so given this doesn't look like letting up any time soon it might not be a bad thing to bring in what I can.

Well, we just got about 10mm of rain - not enough, but not nothing. We're forecast more over the coming days, too. Every little bit helps - the worst of the smoke seems to have passed.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah we got a lot too. Still raining where I work. Where I live I’ve got rain forecast until Tuesday.

Still nothing close to halting the drought or bushfire threat, but it’s nice to see a few green shoots in the brown grass fields.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Raining heavily in Sydney this morning but I'm by the coast. Could be dry inland for all I know.

reports from the southern highlands are that it topped out at just 17 mm and now the smoke has returned.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    reports from the southern highlands are that it topped out at just 17 mm and now the smoke has returned.

That amount of rain just gets you a fine coating of caustic mud on everything :/

steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    How good is pork barrelling.

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    When asked to rule out bias towards marginal seats
    what I'm telling you is the case — every single project that was funded under the program was eligible under the guidelines, it's all publicly available

That's a pretty suspiciously specific response to the question as presented, yes

n57PM0C.jpg
    edited January 2020
    Federal ICAC, when?

Blatant.

Antoshka wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »
    When asked to rule out bias towards marginal seats
    what I'm telling you is the case — every single project that was funded under the program was eligible under the guidelines, it's all publicly available

That's a pretty suspiciously specific response to the question as presented, yes

Yeah, all the projects were eligible, but they were not ranked the most worthy of eligible programs by the department, and happened to be in marginal seats for some reason.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Federal ICAC, when?

Blatant.

Yep, nothing will happen though. To get my vote at the moment you just need to have ICAC at the top of your list.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
This discussion has been closed.