As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Nice Weekend [Podcast]

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
Ah, it's Saturday, a day of rest and relaxation

We've all had a hard week, it's time to kick back, take it easy, and enjoy internet radio that is for some reason named after the iPod years after its discontinuation

What's your weekend podcast of choice?

6F32U1X.png

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Anyway I made this thread because the Marvel Performance Review episode of Blank Check is out with guest Chris Gethard and Gethard is trying to kill me

They of course spend 1 of the 3 hours of its running time talking about Star Wars, and Gethard comes out of the gate with some extremely hot takes:

#1- he has reversed his previous position on The Last Jedi and decided it's a horrible, cynical movie and "why do you want Star Wars to make you think, that's not Star Wars"
    #2 - The Rise of Skywalker, though? now that's a picture! third best Star Wars movie, only behind Empire and Rogue One!
    #3 - also just for fun Uncut Gems is bad too

he's come out with a knife for me personally

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I enjoy the flophouse

I wish it were weekly though tbh

Oh wait

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Anyway I made this thread because the Marvel Performance Review episode of Blank Check is out with guest Chris Gethard and Gethard is trying to kill me

They of course spend 1 of the 3 hours of its running time talking about Star Wars, and Gethard comes out of the gate with some extremely hot takes:

#1- he has reversed his previous position on The Last Jedi and decided it's a horrible, cynical movie and "why do you want Star Wars to make you think, that's not Star Wars"
    #2 - The Rise of Skywalker, though? now that's a picture! third best Star Wars movie, only behind Empire and Rogue One!
    #3 - also just for fun Uncut Gems is bad too

he's come out with a knife for me personally

reading this made me wince so hard I pulled a muscle

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I'll give Gethard this: I haven't heard that sequence in that order for #2, so it's at least... something new and confusing to puzzle over.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    This week's Threedom hyped up an Adam Lambert cover of a Cher song, and then it lived up to the hype

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    The title of this thread made me miss Idle Weekend, or, more importantly, the Idle Weekend theme song.

Anyways, the Flophouse bonus episode was great and Natalie Walker is a gem.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Hahahaha no actually this Blank Check rules, even though I disagree with Gethard he brings some SERIOUS energy to that defense

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I love Gethard on Blank Check but I don’t think I can do any more marvel from the two best friends or Star Wars from literally anyone any more

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    This latest UPF has some amazing corporate training videos in it.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I’m listening to the Waypoint Star Wars episode, and Rob getting all Cinema Sins about The Mandalorian is killing me.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    a collection of Chris Gethard's snippy responses to people on the Blank Check subreddit who do not like his takes
    Can’t help but notice that everyone mad at my TLJ take is willfully ignoring that my most central problem with it is that Poe Dameron is a mutineer and handled in a way that makes everything involving the resistance make me want to rip the few remaining hairs out of my skull. Militarily, this whole organization sucks, and it’s infuriating as a viewer. That more than anything else makes it feel eye rolly and cynical in all the other choices. On the other hand, in rise they fight with laser swords on a hunk of old death star floating in the ocean. That rules.
    Poe is played as a truly incompetent moron. He gets all the bombers destroyed and tons of people killed because he won’t listen. He stages a mutiny and delays everything and we watch the transport ships get picked off one by one. Then in the end Leia and her counterpart forget all of that by saying something to the effect of “i don’t know, i just like him.” That’s it, that’s the sum total of reaction to his consistently baffling choices that lead to consistent slaughter.

That’s...gasp...bad writing!

And when I look at all the other stuff in TLJ that rubs me wrong it’s hard to not then see it as more surface level, trying to be provocative for the sake of it, meta commentary on the franchise itself weak writing as well.
    There might also be something to be said that you are taking the opinions of a comedian on a star wars franchise film a little too seriously? Especially considering that most of what i’m known for on this podcast is screaming a bunch of opinions on star wars stuff?
    When i love on fisto or hate on grievous you all loved me. I guess i am just a little too nuanced for some of you to handle. Doesn’t change the fact that fury road felt like a 90 minute long mountain dew ad from the turn of the century.

I am sorry. I had to. It is so fun seeing how mad some people get that i didn’t like last jedi. I am a 39 year old new father.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    " I guess i am just a little too nuanced for some of you to handle."

Gethard handling some mild criticism well I see

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    it's 100% him goofing

his whole thing is throwing himself out there as the punching bag

they're his genuine opinions but he's doing a whole heel thing and on some level I have to respect it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I’m listening to the Waypoint Star Wars episode, and Rob getting all Cinema Sins about The Mandalorian is killing me.

"I bought all these technical manuals!"

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Ah fair enough, I've not heard this one but that is how he seems to have been in his previous appearances,

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I have to agree with Rob that the ST plays too fast and loose with the concept of time and distance.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I have to agree with Rob that the ST plays too fast and loose with the concept of time and distance.

i'm pretty much with austin, that shit's never made any actual sense so w/e just roll with it

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    This might’ve been the best Blank Check episode, I kept laughing in front of everyone at the gym

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

i'm pretty much with austin, that shit's never made any actual sense so w/e just roll with it

Except that it still was in the background enough that you could ignore it. Episode 9 is almost deliberately trying to rub everything in your face that hey, actually, everything is down the block from everything else and the only reason it would take more than an instant to get anywhere at any time is if we wanted it to. There's no verisimilitude.

• Options
    Anybody ever make a joke about how Chris Gethard's last name looks like "get hard"

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I find it hard to believe that anyone could be so crude as to make such a joke.

• Options
    I guess you're right

• Options
    Anybody ever make a joke about how Chris Gethard's last name looks like "get hard"

Jason Manzoukis and Paul Scheer didn't say anything about it when they were on his show, so if such a joke had been made, it's so long ago that even making it has lost mirth for them.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Idle Thumbs has been having a clearance on their remaining merch.

I think it's dead dead :(

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Of course it is.

Its pretty clear Valve has some kind of ownership of employee creative works clause, I think. And a fairly strict one, I'd bet.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Of course it is.

Its pretty clear Valve has some kind of ownership of employee creative works clause, I think. And a fairly strict one, I'd bet.

I thought that was primarily for projects started after employment. I used to be part of a (now defunct) manga podcast, and an actual online publication which did podcasts hired one of the other hosts and we still would have retained ownership/could have kept doing it. However, with the change in schedules it just ended up too much of a hassle.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    Of course it is.

I thought that was primarily for projects started after employment. I used to be part of a (now defunct) manga podcast, and an actual online publication which did podcasts hired one of the other hosts and we still would have retained ownership/could have kept doing it. However, with the change in schedules it just ended up too much of a hassle.

I mean I can only speculate obvs, but it sure seems to be a pattern.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    They aren’t shutting it down! They just are giving it to a nice farm upstate!

• Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    At the time of the buyout, they all said that it shouldn't affect the podcast, just they had to move to Seattle so they had to figure out a new studio setup, then they were all busy and they still want to get back to it, and now, well, they're (mostly) working on a game coming out in a few months, and the clearance on merch is just so they don't have to pay to keep it around anymore, the site isn't going anywhere, etc etc. I feel like if they legally couldn't do the podcast, they'd just say so rather than have to go on social media every 6 months to tell everyone that no, they do want to get back to it really, just....

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Ahahaha

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I dont care enough about Joe Rogan to want to know about his having dysentary, call me if he dies of dysentary Ill read that news

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I've never heard of the carnivore diet.

And having just researched it, it seems incredibly dumb.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I think it's a jordan peterson thing, the latest in a long, proud tradition of alt righters poisoning themselves because nutritionists are a secret jewish cabal or whatever

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    in lighter news the flop house episode about cats is so good

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    It's like the dude celebrating raw milk legislation passing then getting sick from raw milk.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Getting food poisoning to own the libs

• Options
    Boy, folks weren't kidding about the 24/7 shipment thing in COD being amazing nonsense.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    oh my god these corporate training videos on upf

watching this pier one video and i've lost all attachment to reality

aeNqQM9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.