As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

KRANCH [bad food]

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The Poor USA doesn't have Kebab game at all. I've still never had one.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »

There's usually Mexican food places you can find that do a similar style with tacos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAKp-QOa7fo

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Al Pastor is cooked in a similar way, but it is not Donair meat. At all.

And also the construction of a kebab is very important

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I would guess there are donar kebab to be found in the large metro areas, such as New York and LA

Gyros are much more common and are one of my favorite parts of late summer early fall carnival season

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I have eaten
    Too many fritos
    And mojo pork
    My stomach is swirly

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2020
    Critics of my poor attempt at garbage food will be pleased to hear that after trying to go to the gym and finding I'd left my id card at home, I'm consoling myself with a slab of extremely greasy Sicilian pizza

tynic on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    55e1cdclquc0.jpg

This monstrosity showed up on my FB feed and I am sharing my suffering in knowing this exists.

every time I see one of these monstrosities, I have to wonder, did the people who published these "recipes" actually believe what they were printing about it? has culinary taste truly changed so much, or did they know they were spewing nonsense in service of some ulterior motive like increasing the sales of their client's canned prunes or whatever?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    @Lost Salient check out this food

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I wanted to try some donair when I was on holiday but my Scottish friend very much insisted it's something you should only get when you're completely plastered. And, well, that's just not something I do. Womp womp.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    55e1cdclquc0.jpg

This monstrosity showed up on my FB feed and I am sharing my suffering in knowing this exists.

every time I see one of these monstrosities, I have to wonder, did the people who published these "recipes" actually believe what they were printing about it? has culinary taste truly changed so much, or did they know they were spewing nonsense in service of some ulterior motive like increasing the sales of their client's canned prunes or whatever?

I used to write reviews for housing developments that didn't exist in states I've never visited on amazon turk

I imagine it's got to be like that

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I wanted to try some donair when I was on holiday but my Scottish friend very much insisted it's something you should only get when you're completely plastered. And, well, that's just not something I do. Womp womp.

I've eaten them sober, they're good. It's just meat and salad in bread. (And a pint of garlic sauce and chili sauce if you're doing it right)

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Critics of my poor attempt at garbage food will be pleased to hear that after trying to go to the gym and finding I'd left my id card at home, I'm consoling myself with a slab of extremely greasy Sicilian pizza

Yes

:steeples fingers:

I am pleased

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

I've eaten them sober, they're good. It's just meat and salad in bread. (And a pint of garlic sauce and chili sauce if you're doing it right)

I feel like this depends where you get them because there is some very wide variation in quality

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

I feel like this depends where you get them because there is some very wide variation in quality

There's two kebab places in town I would buy from sober, and several that are perfectly fine while drunk.

And at least one that's not even fine when black out drunk, but it got closed. Strangely enough.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

There's usually Mexican food places you can find that do a similar style with tacos.

There's a taco truck in east LA that does tacos Arabe, which is an Iranian/Mexican hybrid of a kebab, a pillowy tortilla topped with marinated and spit roasted pork and a nice chipotle sauce. The seasoning on the pork is definitely a mix between generic "Middle Eastern" spices and Mexican ones, it's a unique experience.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/j2/55e1cdclquc0.jpg

Apparently my grandma used to make a dessert that was canned pear halves topped with cottage cheese mixed with mayonnaise.

One Christmas a few years ago my mom and her siblings finally admitted that they had always hated it, and asked her what the deal was with that recipe. And she said that she thought it was special and fancy because she read it in a magazine, and always thought it was a special treat because they couldn't afford expensive desserts like ice cream.

So I am all about the nightmare mayonnaise recipes, because one of them made my little Nan feel classy back when times were hard.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

Soooo, like all other food?

But, yes, there are many less than amazing kebab places in this world. And many of those places are pretty alright when drunk.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    @#pipe If you ever make it over here to Montreal, check out Omnivore. Their kebabs have some of the most well balanced and delicious flavours of any I've ever had.

I just put a pizza in the oven, time to make some guacamole to slather on top, like a civilized man

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    What the perfect topper to a leftover Taco Bell bean and cheese burrito?

Two fried eggs, yolks still runny. Also I forgot to pick up Fire sauce so I'm using Frank's and it's pretty tasty.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I gave an Uber ride to a couple from Australia earlier, they were visiting LA on holiday, and they basically only talked to me about American food, totally unprompted. Namely that American bread is too sweet, and American bacon is too fatty (although they were split on the latter issue).

They'd also eaten 6 burgers in the last few days because "America has better burgers, just unreal."

They asked where to get dinner, so I told them to grab a burger from The Apple Pan since it was directly across the street from where I dropped them off.

jgeis on
  • Options
    I wanna go to the Apple Pan for real. And also Pie 'n Burger.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »

Soooo, like all other food?

But, yes, there are many less than amazing kebab places in this world. And many of those places are pretty alright when drunk.

I think it's more pronounced with kebab places

Many people will swear blind that their local is the best place ever despite never having been there not completely blitzed

And most kebab places are ... not good, unless in full-on drunken lust for carbs and animal fat

• Options
    I played board games at a pal's place last night and they ordered Pizza Hut for everyone

I don't know if it's just American Pizza Hut that sucks, but this was GOOD. It was almost as good as I remember it as a kid. Fluffy and crispy and buttery and loads of cheese.

Seriously, it's 20 steps above Domino's for me.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've never had US pizza hut, but australian pizza hut is fine too. probably the legal standard for what qualifies as 'consumable' is lower here.
    (dominos, as has been established, is poop from a pizza-tinged butt)

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I'm told the UK Dominos is way better than US Dominos. Which I find hard to believe, because UK Dominos is dire.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I’ve heard that too, but as an American, I only have access to the American version so no frame of comparison.

The local Target here has a Pizza Hut Express, and it’s the only Pizza Hut [Anything] within any kind of consumable distance from me (I cant even order Pizza Hut to be delivered. But they serve the one thing I order from Pizza Hut anyway - the breadsticks. Which are amazing. I love Pizza Hut’s marinara sauce. It’s the perfect amount of sweet.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    canada's pizza hut is pretty primo

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Prettimo.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    all pizza hut is good

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Piazza hut gives me wicked bad indigestion.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    all pizza hut is good

What about Pizza The Hutt?

• Options
    i love pizza hut but it gives me instant heartburn

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Is one of those few foods that gives me heartburn so bad so fast I tend to throw up from the acid backing up.

Not even spicy food does that to me.

But pizza hut does it every time without fail.

• Options
    Oh yeah also we ordered this thing
    Pizza-Hut-Canada-Brings-Back-The-32.99-Triple-Treat-Box-678x381.jpg

Which was a good deal because it was like 30 bucks, but it DIDN'T COME IN THE PIZZA FILING CABINET. Just a normal stack of boxes. We were all very disappointed

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Oh yeah also we ordered this thing
    Pizza-Hut-Canada-Brings-Back-The-32.99-Triple-Treat-Box-678x381.jpg

Which was a good deal because it was like 30 bucks, but it DIDN'T COME IN THE PIZZA FILING CABINET. Just a normal stack of boxes. We were all very disappointed

What even is the point without the cabinet

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

Is one of those few foods that gives me heartburn so bad so fast I tend to throw up from the acid backing up.

Not even spicy food does that to me.

But pizza hut does it every time without fail.

pizza hut, papa johns, and to a lesser extent, little caesar's are the only pizzas that kill my stomach.

fortunately I boycott papa johns, and there aren't any little caesar's or pizza huts nearby

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    UK Pizza Hut is weird in that the takeaway is rubbish, but the sit in restaurants are perfectly fine. I guess letting them sit for 30ish minutes is the difference.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the only thing I like at pizza hut is the breadsticks and marinara

which I generally prefer to get at the few remaining Pizza Bell locations, so that I can also get some tacos supreme, because I am trash

This discussion has been closed.