As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Witcher] Watching Season 2 is Your Destiny, Probably

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Speaking of DLC:

is it something I should wait to do until finishing the main quest?

Hearts of Stone can be done whenever you are around the recommended levels, if you want

Blood and Wine should absolutely be done after the main quest because it's kind of a big wrap-up and goodbye to the games

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Speaking of DLC:

is it something I should wait to do until finishing the main quest?

Hearts of Stone is very much up to you when you'd like to do it. Blood and Wine is basically the bow on the entire series so leave it for last

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Finished up the series! I really enjoyed it.

When the designer said they were trying to make Nilfgaard armies aliens I thought it was still weird choice but it achieved that effect.

My only concern is how lost people new to the Witcher series may feel watching this but then I suppose they can dig into the extra material.

I didn't have to explain too much to my parents, but they were thankful I was watching with them.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Halfway through Last Wish. Book Geralt is a lot chattier than Game Geralt.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I knew nothing at all about The Witcher going in and I never felt lost. Some things felt perfunctory in a way that made me think "this probably means more/has more weight if you've read the books or played the games." But as a standalone it's basically a goofy fantasy romp with a little bit of timey wimey switcheroo.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhjkPv4qo5w

To witcherize your D&D campaign.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Okay. I got Witcher 3 working with a ton of mods. Here's what I'm using.
    • Auto Loot. Picks up EVERYTHING around you, including during cut-scenes and flashbacks, hilariously. Won't steal and won't open quest containers by default.
    • Auto Oils, automatically applies a relevant oil when combat starts so you don't have to. Only works if you have a the oil crafted.
    • Fast Travel Anywhere. No more sign posts. You still have to fast travel TO the signs but can go from anywhere.
    • Phoenix Ultimate lighting mod. Makes everything look nicer in the environment combined with a mod that drastically reduces the gale force tree sways.
    • That huge HQ texture update.
    • Inventory capacity to over 9000 weight.
    • Everyone with a sword now has a scabbard
    • Cook food like raw meat. I don't want my Geralt eating raw meat thank you.
    • Critical Slow Motion. Adds slow motion effects when you get a crit. Looks cool. Combined with Brutal Blood to make fights very nasty looking.
    • That Cloak mod. I just found out you can raise and lower the hood during in game cut-scenes and dialog.
    • Additional Stashes
    • Removed Ciri's high heels and gave her more workable boot soles. Also a mod that auto switches her outfits between versions and dlc version as the story would benefit.
    • Map Quest Objectives. Puts all quest markers on the map at once. Can switch quests from the map by selecting them.

I think that is the main ones.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh fuck. I just found a new mod that has street musicians randomly singing "Toss a Coin to you Witcher"

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    There's going to be a mod for that in every heavily modded game, and I'm going to install it in all of them. Including Fallout. Especially Fallout.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Are there any stories where Yennefer saves Geralt?

I know they're pretty much the canon relationship, but it feels like Eskel's appraisal of your relationship dynamic in Witcher 3 is incredibly accurate.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I have strong memories of reading some of the Witchers and audiobooking others but I have absolutely no idea who Renfri was in the books, I remember some evil like hedge wizard henchman with an R name

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

I know they're pretty much the canon relationship, but it feels like Eskel's appraisal of your relationship dynamic in Witcher 3 is incredibly accurate.

Geralt and Yennefer more or less constantly get each other into and out of life-threatening peril, so yes those stories do exist but I can't tell you if there's parity because it happens with such staggering frequency

The writers of Witcher 3 have a very.... particular read of Geralt and Yennefer's relationship, and of Yennefer herself, though I don't know if Eskel is their mouthpiece or not

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Renfri and her interactions with Geralt act as kind of Geralt’s origin story to the time period and state of mind where the books and such take place. It’s a story that informs the viewers of his moral compass and ideals
    Basically, Renfri is a princess who is thought to be cursed, and is thus hunted. Geralt runs into her while she is both being hunted by, and actively hunting a sorcerer, both of whom try to convince Geralt to enact their wills.

Javen on
  • Options
    Maybe I missed a book or something, I remember the first one I read started with a flashback of Ciri escaping with who turns out to be Clallacgh mac Crannog or whoever

Man, I hope they cast Regis good, a good Regis would be a hoot on this show

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    Maybe I missed a book or something, I remember the first one I read started with a flashback of Ciri escaping with who turns out to be Clallacgh mac Crannog or whoever

Man, I hope they cast Regis good, a good Regis would be a hoot on this show

It’s part of The Last Wish

• Options
    Well thatll do it

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    man I really dislike the trend in this kind of TV adaptation where most of the first season is given over to character development, then there's a couple episodes of fast rising action before a conclusion that feels like it's practically the beginning of the story

I mean I understand the need to tease the next season in some way but jeez that was unsatisfying

Yeah I would have preferred this to have slower development and more of a monster of the week thing but I can see why they'd want to shoot for being able to end it after 3-4 seasons, as it seems to be the normal series length on streaming services.

I actually thought they did a pretty good job of weaving in 'Geralt, Monster Detective' bits into the overall story; I just found the last couple eps unsatisfying because it felt like hey, we've finally got to the point that the conflict being teased all season is gonna start getting explored... then whoops it's over

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular

Yen isn't in that many of the short stories but really it's a bunch of give and take
    The Last Wish, in which Yen saves Dandelion at Geralt's request, Yen gets him nearly killed by the town council but also running on the assumption that Dandelion was the wisher, would've saved him, and Geralt saves her from the djinn despite her not wanting him to

The Bounds of Reason, where they both save each other from the cliff but really are both saved by other people, Yen helps overcome Geralt and then when they both get tied up, he frees her feet so she can cast spells and save the group long enough for the dragon's bodyguards to appear

A Shard of Ice in which... nobody saves anyone

In the novels Yen and Geralt do things separately a lot of the time. He does free her from her imprisonment but then she promptly saves both of them from the troops? And they both fight V together. Yen also bargains with the Lodge (unsuccessfully) for Geralt's life. And my memory is fuzzy but I think even getting captured was useful one way or another.
    And it's worth saying that Yen saves her own ass a bunch of times and ultimately Ciri saves them both of course

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Edit

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    • Auto Loot. Picks up EVERYTHING around you, including during cut-scenes and flashbacks, hilariously. Won't steal and won't open quest containers by default.
    • Auto Oils, automatically applies a relevant oil when combat starts so you don't have to. Only works if you have a the oil crafted.
    • Fast Travel Anywhere. No more sign posts. You still have to fast travel TO the signs but can go from anywhere.
    • Phoenix Ultimate lighting mod. Makes everything look nicer in the environment combined with a mod that drastically reduces the gale force tree sways.
    • Critical Slow Motion. Adds slow motion effects when you get a crit. Looks cool. Combined with Brutal Blood to make fights very nasty looking.
    • That Cloak mod. I just found out you can raise and lower the hood during in game cut-scenes and dialog.
    • Additional Stashes
    • Removed Ciri's high heels and gave her more workable boot soles. Also a mod that auto switches her outfits between versions and dlc version as the story would benefit.
    • Map Quest Objectives. Puts all quest markers on the map at once. Can switch quests from the map by selecting them.

Be VERY careful with the fast travel mod, it will break a lot of quests if you zippity zap out of quest areas without triggering cutscenes.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    I wasn’t even able to get the fast travel mod to work.

• Options
    Thinking back on them Witchers I am reminded of that bit where that young scholar fellow ends up on the road to join in the wars and it being very good, like my favourite bits of A Song of Ice and Fire

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »

Yen isn't in that many of the short stories but really it's a bunch of give and take
    The Last Wish, in which Yen saves Dandelion at Geralt's request, Yen gets him nearly killed by the town council but also running on the assumption that Dandelion was the wisher, would've saved him, and Geralt saves her from the djinn despite her not wanting him to

The Bounds of Reason, where they both save each other from the cliff but really are both saved by other people, Yen helps overcome Geralt and then when they both get tied up, he frees her feet so she can cast spells and save the group long enough for the dragon's bodyguards to appear

A Shard of Ice in which... nobody saves anyone

In the novels Yen and Geralt do things separately a lot of the time. He does free her from her imprisonment but then she promptly saves both of them from the troops? And they both fight V together. Yen also bargains with the Lodge (unsuccessfully) for Geralt's life. And my memory is fuzzy but I think even getting captured was useful one way or another.
    And it's worth saying that Yen saves her own ass a bunch of times and ultimately Ciri saves them both of course

books
    And when Yen does get captured she withstands quite a bit of torture and they're like look, everybody breaks eventually, give us info on Ciri.

And Yen is like, Nope, I'll take another torture plz, fuck you. For months, and never breaks.

Yen is extremely determined to protect her family

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I have really mixed feelings on the show, but Zigrin is a LOT of fun. Going full "I'LL BURN YER HOOSE DOWN" Scottish is just a total blast to see on a televised program

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I knew nothing at all about The Witcher going in and I never felt lost. Some things felt perfunctory in a way that made me think "this probably means more/has more weight if you've read the books or played the games." But as a standalone it's basically a goofy fantasy romp with a little bit of timey wimey switcheroo.

I watched the series with my girlfriend, who knows absolutely nothing about the series but likes fantasy stuff in general. She was utterly lost in the first episode and didn't want to watch anymore due to not understanding what was going on and stuff not being explained. It took a few days before I convinced her to watch the next episode, after which she grudgingly accepted that it did much better to hook her in than the first one. After a couple more episodes, she was the one who was pushing for us to watch another episode and got really into it.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Started playing Witcher 3 again! Just as rad as I remember. I think I goofed a mod install because everyone has soppy floppy goo faces but other than that it's friggin great.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    • Additional Stashes

What is the name of the Ciri boot mod? I hate that she's running around in high heels.

I was using that cloak mod but I got annoyed with the swords clipping through it. Shame cos it does look really cool otherwise. Also the hood seems to bug out if you have a non default hairstyle, and I love my mullethawk

Here are the mods I'm using
    Lore Friendly Witchers - gives all witchers proper yellow cat eyes again, and makes Geralt paler.

Skip Storybook Screens - disabled the story recap screens on loading

All Map Markers - stops markers for things like blacksmiths from disappearing off the map when you're not nearby

Better Icons - puts names on menu icons for potions, bombs, and oils

One I can't remember the name of which gives Geralt some animations when standing still in combat, like twirling his sword

Lamp on Boat - puts a... lamp on the boats

Realistic Weather - Improves rain effects

Preparations - makes it so you have to meditate to do alchemy, fix equipment, or assign ability points.

Friendly meditation - keeps the view in-game while time passes instead of in the menu.

Friendly HUD - lets you customise the HUD a lot more than normal. Can add markers that show up when you use witcher senses.

Ghost Mode - overhaul that affects a lot of stuff, can't explain it all here, but I like it.

Those last four are all by the same mod author and completely customizable which is nice.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I just got this loading screen tip:

"When the time of the White Frost comes, do not eat the yellow snow."

Thanks, game.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    That's a very Warcraft 2 tip.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rewatching the show, I realised the question I asked the other day is brought up by Yen in episode 5. Clearly I don't pay enough attention.

Also the sword noises are driving me totally crazy. I really hope they tone them down in the next season.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Rewatching the show, I realised the question I asked the other day is brought up by Yen in episode 5. Clearly I don't pay enough attention.

Also the sword noises are driving me totally crazy. I really hope they tone them down in the next season.

Alternatively, they just get some trolls to do all the foley work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qD17872taE

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's kind of weird that the first we really see of Vilgevortz is
    getting clowned

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    So it seems that my partner has decided that she really, really likes me saying Geralt things in Geralt voice, despite the fact she didnt like or watch the show. I may be really painting myself into a corner if Henry Cavill and/or Doug Cockle ever show up on my doorstep hoping to fuck my wife, but I'm willing to take that risk for the immediate returns I've been getting.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Although really, to be honest, I'd be pretty screwed if Henry Cavill wanted to fuck my wife under just about any circumstance.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    'Agree' has never been both so right and so wrong before.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    Although really, to be honest, I'd be pretty screwed if Henry Cavill wanted to fuck my wife under just about any circumstance.

if you're lucky!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Henry Cavill spends his free time playing vidyagames so you all are probably safe

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    He only plays video games in his free time because he's bored of the infinite amount of sex he has and can have at literally any moment.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    burbo wrote: »

if you're lucky!

If you're lucky one of those circumstances will include you watching.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig