As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    They're just really really big fans of Beetlejuice.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    WHY IS THERE A FUCK BEAR
    So I'm going to go to your house and demand to know, why ISN'T there a fuck bear?

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    It's like... on one hand just TERRIBLE taste. But on the other, I'm glad people with such awful taste occasionally have lots of money and go balls to the wall with it. So I can see it.

• Options
    We found a sofa we like at Costco but it's not listed online so we are going through the logistics of picking it up and getting it home. We're also trying to figure out if it will get through any of the doors/doorways.

Home ownership

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    We found a sofa we like at Costco but it's not listed online so we are going through the logistics of picking it up and getting it home. We're also trying to figure out if it will get through any of the doors/doorways.

Home ownership

Hit it with a hammer

Like, if it gets stuck in the door

• Options
    Just pound that fucker through

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Are we still talking about the bears?

For sofas, the easiest option is to take off the legs or take the door or door frame off.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Planning for next weekend, when we will have time to take out the sliding door panels.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Ughhhh, ordered a fridge and washer/dryer, should get here in 2 weeks. Making big purchases hurts my stomach >.<

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Home ownership

Be sure to practice your pivoting skills.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular

Home ownership

Be sure to practice your pivoting skills.

And always check if you can remove the feet! I swear, sofas are all designed to fit in a standard doorway *without the feet*, which come installed all the time.

• Options
    A three seat sofa with two powered recliners incorporated. It doesn't have feet, per se, and is 41" deep by 41" high. Our largest opening is about 31". Even with some creative positioning, that fucker is going to be too heavy to try to maneuver through the doorways. From all appearances, the back of the sofa doesn't come off, but we didn't dig that deep into the floor model. The sofa is boxed as a fully assembled item.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    A three seat sofa with two powered recliners incorporated. It doesn't have feet, per se, and is 41" deep by 41" high. Our largest opening is about 31". Even with some creative positioning, that fucker is going to be too heavy to try to maneuver through the doorways. From all appearances, the back of the sofa doesn't come off, but we didn't dig that deep into the floor model. The sofa is boxed as a fully assembled item.

Those are super easy to take apart. The two side seats should come right out if you remove a few bolts on the bottom. There are a bunch of youtube videos out there.

• Options
    Pound the fucker throughoghough!!

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    We still talking about the bearsbears?

For sofas, the easiest option is to take off the legs or take the door or door frame off.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    chokemchokem Registered User regular
    Anyone have any recommendations for cleaning quartz countertops? Specifically satin black countertops.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    chokem wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations for cleaning quartz countertops? Specifically satin black countertops.

Quartz? Like actual rock? Anything that doesn't wipe off, scrape off with a razor blade like you would a price sticker off of a CD jewel case.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    chokem wrote: »

Quartz? Like actual rock? Anything that doesn't wipe off, scrape off with a razor blade like you would a price sticker off of a CD jewel case.

It's a synthetic stone countertop in the US.

@chokem you shouldn't need more than soap and water or a gentle surface cleaner, it's much more durable than granite

Edit: assuming this is engineered quartz and not quartzite

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    We still talking about the bearsbears?

I had a sofa generously donated to me by a friend of a friend, which they helped moved to my back porch. We later discovered that it wouldn't fit in the door, and the legs didn't come off, and even after stripping the fabric on the bottom/back to get at the screws it was built in a way that it could not be disassembled. The manufacturer actually sheared off the ends of the screws so you couldn't release the bolts holding the pieces together.

Later it rained unexpectedly and the sofa was colonized by local flora. Out to the curb it went...

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    It looks like a film villain's house. Like, if you told me it's a set piece from the next Kingsman movie I'd 100% believe you.

Or, say, Despicable Me.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    $400 to clear a main-line clog ouch

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

Wow, did they have to bring out the jetter or something?

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »

Wow, did they have to bring out the jetter or something?

Nope, that was basic clearing to main sewer line!

Though in further talking, which I'll get into, I learned they don't have a jetter any more because they never used it. And the line should have more access ports than just the one it has. And that the auger or whatever kept getting caught every few feet, came back up with a lot of grease (thanks previous home owner) and might cost me a lot more depending on what the camera line shows tomorrow re: the getting caught up.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Anybody know the terminology for random pieces of door hardware?

I've got a pair of double doors that don't have a between-door latch of any kind. The knobs don't turn, even. The doors latch by way of a pair of spring-loaded...thingies on their top, inside corners. The 'thingies' are basically a tube with a ball captured at one end and a spring below said ball such that the ball may move up and down by a small distance against the spring resistance. There's a matching plate in the door frame with a depression such that pulling the door into a closed position pushes the ball down, then it pops back up into the depression and keeps the door shut.

Well, one of the balls went walkabout. I have no idea when or where. The spring extended up through the now-vacant hole and acted as a stop for the door right up until it didn't and now it's stuck out of the housing and bent about 70 degrees to one side, so it doesn't keep shit closed.

Ideally I'd like to find an identical replacement piece as the whole tube/spring/ball assembly screws into and out of a cylindrical insert in the door body, so if I can find one just like it I can simply screw in the new ball-tube and be good to go. Failing that I can probably figure out how to replace the assembly with a similar one. Only I have no idea what to google to find such a part. Various permutations on "double door latch", "double door hardware", "spring loaded door latch", etc. have gotten me close but not quite on-target. Anyone know what these bastards are called?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Can you snag a picture?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Very nearly! I'll have to go by home depot and see if it's the right size and if (ideally) the ball part screws out. Thanks!

Edit: Actually, looking at the photo, it looks like the internal ball-catch in that thing is identical to mine. Score!

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I believe what you're referring to is called a ball catch.

edit: like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-HsMPTTKgA

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Anybody know the terminology for random pieces of door hardware?

I've got a pair of double doors that don't have a between-door latch of any kind. The knobs don't turn, even. The doors latch by way of a pair of spring-loaded...thingies on their top, inside corners. The 'thingies' are basically a tube with a ball captured at one end and a spring below said ball such that the ball may move up and down by a small distance against the spring resistance. There's a matching plate in the door frame with a depression such that pulling the door into a closed position pushes the ball down, then it pops back up into the depression and keeps the door shut.

Well, one of the balls went walkabout. I have no idea when or where. The spring extended up through the now-vacant hole and acted as a stop for the door right up until it didn't and now it's stuck out of the housing and bent about 70 degrees to one side, so it doesn't keep shit closed.

Ideally I'd like to find an identical replacement piece as the whole tube/spring/ball assembly screws into and out of a cylindrical insert in the door body, so if I can find one just like it I can simply screw in the new ball-tube and be good to go. Failing that I can probably figure out how to replace the assembly with a similar one. Only I have no idea what to google to find such a part. Various permutations on "double door latch", "double door hardware", "spring loaded door latch", etc. have gotten me close but not quite on-target. Anyone know what these bastards are called?

Try "ball door catch"

• Options
    Ball catch???

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Is it an adjustable ball catch?

• Options
    Man. Now I feel dumb as the only person not up on ball-catching.

• Options
    Now you can pass the great story of ball-catching on to your children.

• Options
    Never forget to secure your ball

• Options
    I ask my wife to adjust my ball catch all the time, but the receiving socket is always broken.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    My place has tall ceilings in the living room and a staircase/ hall that use fixtures I hate. I like the way they disperse light though.

They're ceiling boobs and I need to replace about 4 of them. Though I'm thinking of a pair of pendant style lights for the high ceiling, that leaves the hallway and bedroom closet that have normal ceiling height. I can ignore the bedroom closet because it's a closet.

Suggestions?

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Tonight marks my first snow as a homeowner, is there anything special I need to do/know that's not readily apparent? Do I need to clear snow off my roof proactively, for example, and if so, at what depth?

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Hm, think I have a better idea of how to wire my house with ethernet. There's a closet on my main floor that's pretty big and should do nicely to mount the patch panel/switch/router. The only three things that are slightly problematic about it are 1) the builders for some reason sealed up the attic access for that side of the house, so there's currently literally no way to get into the attic. So I'll have to cut a hole in the ceiling to access it. 2) the closet doesn't have a power outlet, so I'll probably need to hire an electrician to put one in there? Probably cost like $200 or so? And 3) running from the attic to the basement seems like it might be kind of a problem. It'll be on an outside wall, too, so it'd be running it inside insulated walls. Plus I'd probably have to drill down between floors within the wall and idk if that's something that can be done cleanly?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Tonight marks my first snow as a homeowner, is there anything special I need to do/know that's not readily apparent? Do I need to clear snow off my roof proactively, for example, and if so, at what depth?

This isn't a real common thing unless you have a flat roof for some reason. Even then you're talking a couple feet of accumulation typically. It is the sort of thing you consider after a real heavy snow season or get hit with an actual blizzard.

Not linked to snow but actual winter would be to check all your piping to outside water spigots for shut offs. It isn't uncommon for them to have a shut off inside the house if the pipes run in unheated areas for any length. Then you'd turn off the inside shut off and open the outside valve so the water doesn't get trapped and burst a pipe when it freezes.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »

This isn't a real common thing unless you have a flat roof for some reason. Even then you're talking a couple feet of accumulation typically. It is the sort of thing you consider after a real heavy snow season or get hit with an actual blizzard.

Not linked to snow but actual winter would be to check all your piping to outside water spigots for shut offs. It isn't uncommon for them to have a shut off inside the house if the pipes run in unheated areas for any length. Then you'd turn off the inside shut off and open the outside valve so the water doesn't get trapped and burst a pipe when it freezes.

Yeah unless you experience a heavy snowfall where it accumulates on the roof at 2ft+ and then sticks around you probably don't have to worry about it. I live in North Dakota and even though we average about 50" of snow a year it's relatively rare that anyone with a sloped roof needs to go out and start cleaning it off the roof. As DevoutlyApathetic mentioned flat roofs are another matter entirely.

This discussion has been closed.