As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Which is better: 2 6800GTs or an 8500?

Lee1255Lee1255 Registered User new member
So, I'm trying to find a good new video card. I have 2 6800 in SLI mode. I'm wondering if getting an 85/8600 would be better. I can't find anything definitive online. I can has anecdotal evidence?

Lee1255 on

• Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    you're better off with a single 8800GT; it's pretty much the card to beat for price/performance ratio this generation.

6800GT is the mid upper tier, while the 8500 and 8600 are the lower tiers. you'd probably lose performance if you moved down, despite them being newer gen cards.

Kriz on
  • Options
    CylaranaCylarana Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I dunno; I think the 8600 would outperform the 6800, but I'd be surprised if the 8500 didn't drop in performance. FWIW, I ran the 7600GT for the longest time after my 6800 crapped out and preformance was about equal to slightly better depending on title. The 8800GT I just got blows it out of the water though.
    I'd say wait for the 8800GTs to go back to MSRP and then get one. MSRP is just 230 or so for the 512 meg versions (which I'm running). A cheap 8600GT is about 100 bucks less but doesn't have near the performance. The 8500 is a joke card. (X)600 or higher cards are usually performance based cards, whereas the cheaper (X)500 or below cards are...really really cheap crappy cards that aren't reallly gaming suitable.

EDIT: Depending on the resolution you game at, you can do OK with an 8800GT 256 which sells for about 200 even. 512s are still 260 or so.

edit 2: I didn't catch the fact you're using SLI. Doh. Yeah, you'll need an 8800 GT to really upgrade it. Just be warned, the cards are honking huge ;)

Cylarana on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    8800GT is where it is at.

It is definately worth the money

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Looking at the Toms Hardware charts, an 8600GTS is probably not going to outperform 2 6800GTs - they have roughly equal performance. So if you're looking for an upgrade, go for the 8800GT.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png