As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    You can pick up a pretty good enameled pot from Stevens. They had s nice big heavy one.

I'd they still don't and you want one and you're on Auckland, I'll offer you mine.

I'm wellington based, but thank you for the offer!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    We're going to try our hands at making some fresh pasta ourselves this weekend. Any recommendations for sauce? I was thinking something simple? Aglio olio, or burro parmigiano maybe?

What you gotta do is get yourself some Roma tomatoes, smash 'em up real good, and simmer them down into a sauce in a pot with some herbs. Then you lightly brown some lamb mince with some garlic and finely chopped onion, add the sauce and finish cooking your bolognese sauce.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    I'd probably advise starting with a no-knead slow rise Dutch oven loaf just because it doesn't require you to make any judgement calls about gluten development. But just find a recipe for something that looks good and go for it - it's hard to not end up with SOME kind of bread, even if the process isn't perfect.

Sounds like i need to get me a Dutch Oven!

(To be fair, it'd be great for my usual wheelhouse of Stews and roasts, soooo)

Lodge sells some very good, relatively cheap dutch ovens. Their enameled ones are nearly as good as Le Creuset for a fraction of the price.

Is this the sort of thing i'm looking for?

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DO3-Dutch-Pre-Seasoned-5-Quart/dp/B01N1XDZOD

Edit, doh, that's the camp version, but you know =P. also cast iron, not enamled.

The fun of being IN NZ is actually finding where these things are for sale. It does look like etting a cast iron one would be the same price as buying an enamlled local, even accounting for shipping

If you're not in the US then Lodge may not be cheaper. They're US-based and are an Actually Made in America product

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    We're going to try our hands at making some fresh pasta ourselves this weekend. Any recommendations for sauce? I was thinking something simple? Aglio olio, or burro parmigiano maybe?

What you gotta do is get yourself some Roma tomatoes, smash 'em up real good, and simmer them down into a sauce in a pot with some herbs. Then you lightly brown some lamb mince with some garlic and finely chopped onion, add the sauce and finish cooking your bolognese sauce.

Sounds good, but it turns out one of our guests is extremely averse to onions. So maybe next time. Can't get decent fresh tomatoes here anyway in winter.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

White pesto white pesto white pesto white pesto
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPKj_6-ZezQ

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Sounds good, but it turns out one of our guests is extremely averse to onions. So maybe next time. Can't get decent fresh tomatoes here anyway in winter.

garlic and oil it is, then!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Skip the onion and dice up some capsicum instead then!

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    I made BA’s grandma-style dough into a buffalo chicken sheet pizza:
    n66i3sb19963.jpeg
    I also did their cast iron sausage and fennel pizza:
    2olzstslvbcw.jpeg
    They were well-received!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

White pesto white pesto white pesto white pesto
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPKj_6-ZezQ

I made this a couple weeks ago and it's gross

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I can’t imagine not liking onions. Onions go in everything I put in a pan. I wouldn’t know it was food if it didn’t have onions in it.

sarukun on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Cooked onions are my best friends. I will stand back to back with cooked onions against all the legions of hell.

Raw onions are vile trash. I would not spit on a raw onion if it was on fire in a gutter.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I can’t imagine not liking onions. Onions go in everything I put in a pan. I wouldn’t know it was food if it didn’t have onions in it.

I like the flavors that onions impart, but I can only eat a very small amount without suffering from some unpleasant GI issues.

So I still cook with onions, but then I have to pick the onions out of whatever like a picky child.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

I like the flavors that onions impart, but I can only eat a very small amount without suffering from some unpleasant GI issues.

So I still cook with onions, but then I have to pick the onions out of whatever like a picky child.

This hurts my heart.

As for Jedoc, you cannot have guacamole without raw onions, or a decent potato salad for that matter. Raw onions stay and that’s the final word.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Raw onion in guacamole gets a pass

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I eat raw onions as a snack (with other stuff like cheese and bread) and everyone makes fun of me for it

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I made apple pie today!

Did a crumble top and everything.

So good.

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    What's better than a tamale? Tamale pie! Well, that's debatable, but this casserole of tamale filling topped with cornbread was scrumptious:

LxuSMJW.jpg?1

xet8c.gif

• Options
    Fuck, that looks great.

• Options
    Sal wrote: »
    What's better than a tamale? Tamale pie! Well, that's debatable, but this casserole of tamale filling topped with cornbread was scrumptious:

LxuSMJW.jpg?1

I loooove tamale pie. Yours looks delicious.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Sal wrote: »

LxuSMJW.jpg?1

That looks great! Have a recipe to share?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    usually, @Sal turns the photo into a link to the recipe they used

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I made my own egg noodles tonight, and threw them in with a quick scratch tomato sauce. Mushrooms, onion, yellow squash, whole canned tomatoes diced, some seasonings. I should have kneaded the pasta dough a bit more, because it was still a bit sticky when it finished its rest and that made it a little hard to shape, but it tasted pretty great regardless.

1 cup flour, 2 eggs, half teaspoon salt. Whisk the eggs into a bowl of that 1c flour, then turn out onto floured surface and knead ~10 minutes to incorporate more flour and make it firmer. Chill half an hour in plastic wrap, then shape how you want and boil 'em up.

• Options
    I'm going to make chicken and gnocchi soup probably Tuesday. Not sure if I want gnocchi and noodles or just the gnocchi.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I've found oven roasted sweet onions to be about the only way I can enjoy onions. Raw onion at all is just not an option for me. Caramelized red or yellow onions are okay, but not great.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    I've found oven roasted sweet onions to be about the only way I can enjoy onions. Raw onion at all is just not an option for me. Caramelized red or yellow onions are okay, but not great.

What about mixed in with other stuff, as a base flavor in more complex cooked dishes?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    The Science Behind the Most Widely Used Allium in the World: Onions | What's Eating Dan? 7:12
    https://youtu.be/uvhSopdCZz8

• Options
    Tox wrote: »

What about mixed in with other stuff, as a base flavor in more complex cooked dishes?

If they are chopped super small and then caramelized down to almost no texture at all, I might be able to eat them.

I love the taste of onions cooked in things, I cannot abide the texture.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Fish 'n fennel tonight

bt3jvcbss6bf.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2020
    For real, though, do you take your food pictures on a phone, or do you have a grown-ass camera? The pics are always extremely good.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Just using me phone.

• Options
    2020 goals, I suppose. I need better food or better lighting or something.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ... holy shit it's 2020

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    ... holy shit it's 2020

5801775_123119-wabc-barbara-walters-2020-img.jpg?w=800&r=16%3A9

• Options
    every time I see a picture of Barbara Walters I'm really confused for a second before I realize that Rachel Dratch is not actually Barbara Walters

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    2020 goals, I suppose. I need better food or better lighting or something.

Not to diminish @tynic 's photo skills

But her food is really really really tasty

• Options
    damn tynic
    that fish looks delish, and it made, quite a dish

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Just picked up the Paprika Recipe app and really like it so far. It'll be really nice to organize all my recipes.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Just picked up the Paprika Recipe app and really like it so far. It'll be really nice to organize all my recipes.

It's one of two apps I've purchased. A great investment for sure.

• Options
    I am attempting air fryer eggplant parmesan tonight. Frying up the circles of eggplant in the air fryer, then I'm going to put it into the oven with a spoonful of tomato sauce on top and sliced mozzarella cheese. In hopes that it doesn't get too soggy

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

It's one of two apps I've purchased. A great investment for sure.

Did you buy a mobile and desktop version, or just one or the other?

This discussion has been closed.