As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tilting a refrigerator

BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
I need to replace the power cable (and possibly some other wiring) on a vintage refrigerator. I know the general rule is to not tip them on their sides but this job would be ridiculous if I didn't. I see some comments on how this risk is mitigated if I just let it stand upright for 24+ hours before plugging it back in.

Does anyone have experience with this?

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    I need to replace the power cable (and possibly some other wiring) on a vintage refrigerator. I know the general rule is to not tip them on their sides but this job would be ridiculous if I didn't. I see some comments on how this risk is mitigated if I just let it stand upright for 24+ hours before plugging it back in.

24 hours should be fine, and in their moving/transport instructions GE recommends waiting either the amount of time it was laying on its side or 24 hours. I'd look at those guidelines anyway because there are several types that shouldn't be put on their side.

I'd check first to make sure their isn't an access panel for the wiring and other items. My fridge isn't that old (about 15 years) and there is a panel on the bottom that gives access to the wiring, water supply valve, and condenser fan motor & coil.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »

24 hours should be fine, and in their moving/transport instructions GE recommends waiting either the amount of time it was laying on its side or 24 hours. I'd look at those guidelines anyway because there are several types that shouldn't be put on their side.

I'd check first to make sure their isn't an access panel for the wiring and other items. My fridge isn't that old (about 15 years) and there is a panel on the bottom that gives access to the wiring, water supply valve, and condenser fan motor & coil.

I have the fridge completely pulled out of it's spot in the bar and there are no access panels. It is an old Admiral fridge. I would estimate it's age at 30+ years. Any insight on what fridge types shouldn't be tipped?

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »

I have the fridge completely pulled out of it's spot in the bar and there are no access panels. It is an old Admiral fridge. I would estimate it's age at 30+ years. Any insight on what fridge types shouldn't be tipped?
    It's in the page I linked. French door & bottom freezer, built-in (these typically have the compressor on top). Compact fridges should be unplugged for a day before tilting to let water drain. Top-freezer or single door should be tilted to the side opposite the hinges so the doors stay shut, SxS fridges should be laid on the freezer side (that door is less likely to open)

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru