As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Thought the thread might be interested in this...

While my Gojulas currently sits as the most expensive collectable I've ever bought, there's a close second right behind: Unicron.

Today, Hasbro posted their update indicating that they are ready for tool production! In their update, you can see how the tools are going to come together to make the runners. The model's going to have 6 different kinds of plastics in it, and 372 pieces. Now this is low compared to a higher-end model kit, but keep in mind this is a "mass produced" toy that needs to be assembled in a factory and such.

There is a video in here showing how the parts break down.

https://hasbropulse.com/blogs/haslab-preview/haslab-war-for-cybertron-unicron-production-update-1

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Thought the thread might be interested in this...

While my Gojulas currently sits as the most expensive collectable I've ever bought, there's a close second right behind: Unicron.

Today, Hasbro posted their update indicating that they are ready for tool production! In their update, you can see how the tools are going to come together to make the runners. The model's going to have 6 different kinds of plastics in it, and 372 pieces. Now this is low compared to a higher-end model kit, but keep in mind this is a "mass produced" toy that needs to be assembled in a factory and such.

There is a video in here showing how the parts break down.

https://hasbropulse.com/blogs/haslab-preview/haslab-war-for-cybertron-unicron-production-update-1

As a side you can see this in the 40k sprues
    This is a space marine sternguard sprue
    m76l0x12ffst.png
    It was laid out by hand Compare it to one done on the computer
    jvpqd2gcgkhb.png

I just find it interesting and sad that in around 2006-2008 GW started to use computers to design and part out models. As you end up with tons of spare parts you really can do little with other than press your luck in the parts market

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    So I've recently learned the Gundam Mk II has a Perfect Grade. Sorely tempted to finally try a PG, and the Mk II is one of my all-time fave suits...

(In Titans colors, of course.)

I'm assuming this is an older PG, so anyone know if there are any gotchas?

http://dalong.net/ has a bunch of photos of what is in the box and scans of the instruction manual pages.

Looks like several types of screws that you will need to translate the manual to know which one is which and where they go and an LED that you will have to run the wiring to the battery case and power switch which is 3 or 4 pieces of metal. Also if you prefer water transfer decals you will have to buy a sheet it only has dry transfer and stickers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I have followed Malifaux casually for years. The number one complaint is how their models break down on the runners. It seems insane.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I seem to have the attention span of a goldfish... As I try to finish my PG Gundam Mk.II Grendizer SDCS Sisqueide, I got distracted and started this one:
    qgicg1ura1ea.jpg
    Both are 1/144!
    It is quite a bit fiddly, but now I'll get to the easier stage :biggrin:
    I don't think Athenor has this one :wink:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    OH FUCK! I'm so jealous, there isn't an HMM of Sinker!

... but I do have a version of it. :)

Ghdbmwah.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    That's a great repaint of the Zeta.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    cuktqcefa1ig.jpeg

The gaplant is really fucking dumb lol

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    It looks like it had a seizure mid-transformation.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I couldn't figure out that kits transformation to save my life

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah ill never transform this thing. Way to fragile

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Figured 2020 will be the year I finally try gunpla. Ive never actually seen an episode of Gundam, but I do like big robots. The chunkier the better. I've never actually built one but I grabbed a re/100 zaku ii, or at least I think that's his name. Any recommendations for big chunky robots? The thiccer the better. Or cool ones that aren't super difficult to get me rolling

Kanden on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

bad news turtle, I'm jigsawing you, successfully transform this kit to disarm this bear trap

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

bad news turtle, I'm jigsawing you, successfully transform this kit to disarm this bear trap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgstEs-l2s4

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh dope I got a shipping notice on the industrial design gundam

@initiatefailure where did you order from? I bought through USA Gundam Store and haven't heard anything and I'm getting antsy

• Options
    lord help me I want to start modeling again after like 20 years

now I gotta buy an airbrush and paints and shit and boy this is a lot

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Agree, but also want to awesome for getting back in to a hobby that can really take your mind off shit. The hours can just fly by when you get in to it.

Also my favorite part of a hobby like this is buying the gear you need or want.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Kanden wrote: »
    Figured 2020 will be the year I finally try gunpla. Ive never actually seen an episode of Gundam, but I do like big robots. The chunkier the better. I've never actually built one but I grabbed a re/100 zaku ii, or at least I think that's his name. Any recommendations for big chunky robots? The thiccer the better. Or cool ones that aren't super difficult to get me rolling

After building it, I found I did enjoy the ZZ Gundam Ver. Ka (Master grade), but it is a big transformy boy. I'm picking up the FAZZ Ver. Ka in a few months here.

I've never been one to suggest chunky gundam, because I prefer the Gundam aesthetic over the Zaku look.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    lord help me I want to start modeling again after like 20 years

now I gotta buy an airbrush and paints and shit and boy this is a lot

When I got back into 40k. It's been a ongoing process of finding what I have and what I should about it. It's odd and like a bizarre Xmas finding what I had. Why did I put things under the couch? Or in other boxes or so on
    I do want to get an airbrush since it will make doing basecoats/primer far easier and cheaper. It's been interesting to see what paints I have from 20+ years ago still are good [surprising many are many need a good mix a few are lost causes}
    But it's been equally as interesting to find what models I had from long ago [pre 9-11} and where I left off

• Options
    I got some old 5th ED fantasy shit and 3rd ED eldar laying around, I have an imperial knight army right now that I use

pretty sure some of this shit is from the clinton presidency

but I'm looking at tanks and naval vessels for right now

• Options
    With how Gw is resurrecting many games from it's history I am shocked with how plastic modeling has changed they have not done battlefleet gothic
    As the Eldar ships in plastic would be a sight

• Options
    BFG would sell out in a heartbeat if they would bring it back

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got some old 5th ED fantasy shit and 3rd ED eldar laying around, I have an imperial knight army right now that I use

Clinton era? I still have a full platoon of Rogue Trader Imperial Army models! Long live the 6th Arcadian!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

Clinton era? I still have a full platoon of Rogue Trader Imperial Army models! Long live the 6th Arcadian!

you have like 15k points of guard you absolute mad lad

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

you have like 15k points of guard you absolute mad lad

It was 20k last time I did the math. That was a full edition ago though.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Kanden wrote: »

Chunky Boys lets go

HG Man-Rodi
    61Rn8oSV-0L._AC_SX425_.jpg

The Origin Guntank
    71of0DLqHqL._AC_SX425_.jpg

HGUC The O
    12_1_184478da-d696-4f1d-9034-435a40e35ebf_800x.JPG?v=1569601926

HG Gundam Virtue
    hg-mobile-suit-gundam-00-1144-gundam-virtue-plastic-model-kit-bandai.jpg

All those are pretty simple, solid builds. The O and Virtue are a little dated, but hold together well.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Sorry for double post, but

Speaking of Chunky Boys, basically the only suit from Build Divers 1 (and my personal fave) that didn't get a kit is finally getting one in May. AND it has rad cannons now too!

hgbd-r-gundam-gp-rase-two-ten-t01.jpg

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Ive been trying to learn blender to make some custom models to 3d prints and folks

It hard

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Is that the atomic bazooka from the GP02 but with a drum magazine?

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Is that the atomic bazooka from the GP02 but with a drum magazine?

It's probably non-nuclear rounds (hasn't shown up in the show yet), but yeah. Two of em.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I still like sazabi for the dummy thic award
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh dope I got a shipping notice on the industrial design gundam

@initiatefailure where did you order from? I bought through USA Gundam Store and haven't heard anything and I'm getting antsy

Bluefin just because they were the first i saw with preorders. but now I'm stucking trying to catch our crappy fedex local service who need me to sign for this apparently

• Options
    Okay yeah

There is no way the time it is taking me to learn 3d modeling worth it

I could easily just scratch build this in this time

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yo @Kanden the chubbiest Gundam is the Gusion, the best lil' hammerfrog

6df77980jw1eykf6rp2euj20h40ci76f_800x.jpg?v=1569513792

The show he's from is a standalone alt universe thing that you don't need any prior knowledge for, and it's available on Netflix! Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. It's also my favorite, so I am biased.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Hell yeah!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    that face is so good. i was considering that one because i wanted to try to paint something for the first time and a big chonk with large surface areas seemed like something i could handle

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    For chonk, there's also the Tieren Ground Type. Comes in 1/100 and HG sizes.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I like the Gusion, but ain't no way a warhammer that big can be lifted with a handle that tiny.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Also, big, flat-faced mallets like those are counterproductive. You want to concentrate the force of the blow into as narrow a cross-section as possible to maximize damage. Carpenters use mallets to avoid leaving dents in the wood. Real warhammers had heads that weren't particularly large and evolved to have pronged or studded faces like a meat tenderizer. This is also why maces became flanged or spiked.

The notable exception to this would be the Japanese Otsuchi, a wood mallet which was only intended to be used to smash down doors during assaults on fortifications. Essentially the Masterkey Shotgun of its day.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Shut up, it looks rad as heck.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such