As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem Three Houses] happy goddamn deduesday my dudes

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    You know, it does say something about the game when, after tens of hours of playing, my first (apart from stupid ally ai) complaint is not "this is bad" but, "this could have been done better".
    Like, it's not like the events i talked about were done badly, just bit clumsily and poorly paced, and i suspect there is some level of cultural barrier going on as well.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I don't think there's a cultural barrier, I think they just wrote that part clumsily and didn't support the emotional narrative beat through the game mechanics at all.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Maybe Byleth is just heartless

I’ll see myself out

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    No way, their name would be, like, Thyblex.

Mx. Quill on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    you're both going to joke hell

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited January 2020
    Well, in chapter 11 now.
    The hopefully low point kinda continues.
    I am told i am seething in rage and wanting revenge, this comes as a surprise to me, not the revegne part, but the rage part.
    I fuse with Sothis and immediately tell the first person who asks that the goddess gave me her strength, like, some discretion might be nice.

Also, after reading Jeralts diary, why are we mutely going along with everything Rhea is telling us, like, she has come of as bit weird from word go, and it's gone way past that by this point.
    I never read Byleth as naive, chill, unemmotional, stoic, not giving a fuck, yes, all of those, but never naive.
    Show my some suspicion, please.
    Oh well, back to inviting students for tea i guess.
    Well, faculty now, all students are at B support or above.

I really like the writing on the students btw, they are all so wonderfully neurotic, and in some cases very terrible, people.
    The best writing in the game so far has definitely been students bouncing of each other in support rank scenes.

I'm going for Edelgard route at first, probably, i think there is a point where i can move to different direction coming soon.
    Kinda interested in seeing how it all goes down from her point of view.
    Like, the game is not even subtle that she and her right hand goth are up to stuff.
    On one hand i just want to nope out asap, but on the other hand i am very fascinated how the story will handle this.

Nyysjan on
    You are basically exactly where the devs want you to be

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Byleth is definitely ignorant as heck, maybe not naive, but their worldly knowledge is woefully lacking

Many of the supports are truly wonderful and it’s a pity that, as usual, the story itself doesn’t hold up to scrutiny

Well, the end of chapter 11.
    I knew some of what was coming, guessed more, but the, abruptness, is throwing me of the loop here a bit.
    I'm rather surprised that Edelgard does not even try to argue for her cause, makes no accusations towards the church, no grand proclamations, nothing.
    It does kinda fit her i think, but i am still a bit surprised.

So, considering all of what has happened, the poisoned villagers, our dead father, the Whole thing about getting trapped in the darkness...
    What reason do i have to suddenly decide to protect Edelgard? Like, i was meant to be broken to a point of incapacitation just a month ago? Seething with rage and desiring vengeange? That sort of thing?
    So why am i now suddenly deciding to side with Edelgard, and possibly stand against my 20+ other students?

I guess one potential explanation is Rhea being all creepy, but she has been that for quite some time and Byleth just keeps ignoring it.
    Really wish there was an option other than Kill/protect, but i can see rasons not to include them.

The reveal after choosing protect is rather nice, or would be if that had not been spoiled for me.
    And it does give context to why Edelgard is doing this.
    Though i have doubt on if human nobility ruling the continent would be any better.
    Especially considering all we have learned of the empire so far (and what Edelgards allies have already done).[/spoiler

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    I knew some of what was coming, guessed more, but the, abruptness, is throwing me of the loop here a bit.
    I'm rather surprised that Edelgard does not even try to argue for her cause, makes no accusations towards the church, no grand proclamations, nothing.

So, considering all of what has happened, the poisoned villagers, our dead father, the Whole thing about getting trapped in the darkness...
    What reason do i have to suddenly decide to protect Edelgard? Like, i was meant to be broken to a point of incapacitation just a month ago? Seething with rage and desiring vengeange? That sort of thing?
    So why am i now suddenly deciding to side with Edelgard, and possibly stand against my 20+ other students?

I guess one potential explanation is Rhea being all creepy, but she has been that for quite some time and Byleth just keeps ignoring it.
    Really wish there was an option other than Kill/protect, but i can see rasons not to include them.

The reveal after choosing protect is rather nice, or would be if that had not been spoiled for me.
    Though i have doubt on if human nobility ruling the continent would be any better.
    Especially considering all we have learned of the empire so far (and what Edelgards allies have already done).[/spoiler
    I mean, Edelgard isn't expecting you to join her, because you're the living embodiment of a god that turned her back on her. Remember, Edelgard was tortured for years and prayed to Seiros, whose Crest she wears, to save her. Now, in a similar situation, the goddess not only frees Byleth, but grants him/her divine power. Clearly, Seiros must hate Edelgard. And now her potential new ally Byleth (it's pretty clear that, until Byleth's transformation, Edelgard is feeling him/her out for recruitment) has no reason to stand with her.

I came into that decision blind, and chose to side with Edelgard. Rhea jumping straight to "Okay Byleth, time to murder your protege" is why I bailed on her. I didn't necessarily want to join Edelgard, but I definitely wasn't going to execute her. Based on how Rhea reacts, I suspect there wouldn't be much difference in terms of how things go in the immediate aftermath if the choice was "kill Edelgard/ refuse to kill Edelgard" rather than "kill Edelgard/ join Edelgard."

Terrendos wrote: »

I mean, Edelgard isn't expecting you to join her, because you're the living embodiment of a god that turned her back on her. Remember, Edelgard was tortured for years and prayed to Seiros, whose Crest she wears, to save her. Now, in a similar situation, the goddess not only frees Byleth, but grants him/her divine power. Clearly, Seiros must hate Edelgard. And now her potential new ally Byleth (it's pretty clear that, until Byleth's transformation, Edelgard is feeling him/her out for recruitment) has no reason to stand with her.

I came into that decision blind, and chose to side with Edelgard. Rhea jumping straight to "Okay Byleth, time to murder your protege" is why I bailed on her. I didn't necessarily want to join Edelgard, but I definitely wasn't going to execute her. Based on how Rhea reacts, I suspect there wouldn't be much difference in terms of how things go in the immediate aftermath if the choice was "kill Edelgard/ refuse to kill Edelgard" rather than "kill Edelgard/ join Edelgard."
    I think the weirdest part is Jeralts death.
    It's pretty clear at this point that Edelgard is responsible for Byleth not being able to save Jeralt.
    And implicated on lot of other stuff.
    So after making such a (admitably minor) production of Byleth grieving, learning that Edelgard was behind it and nothing comes of it feels odd.

Hopefully it comes up later.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

It's pretty clear at this point that Edelgard is responsible for Byleth not being able to save Jeralt.
    So after making such a (admitably minor) production of Byleth grieving, learning that Edelgard was behind it and nothing comes of it feels odd.

That's a pretty big assumption you're making (see bold in last spoiler)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

She makes it pretty clear she wasn't behind it, and generally speaking, I don't think she ever lies to Byleth. Just hides some things at the beginning of the game. Kronya, Solon and Thales are all acting out their own agenda.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

People frequently seem to forget the scene where the Flame Emperor, speaking to Thales and Monika, mentions that there will be no salvation for Thales or his kind, those responsible for such gruesome deeds in Duscur and Enbarr.

Like... it's OK to believe that the Flame Emperor is lying when they tell Byleth they got nothing to do with Remire, but to somehow conclude that Thales and crew are the Flame Emperor's underlings and therefore the Flame Emperor is responsible for their actions is... odd. Their 'alliance' is clearly a contentious one.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Still think that having all the routes be exactly the same before the split hurts the narrative in some pretty obvious ways, though I understand why they did it of course.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

There are power dynamics at play that will become somewhat more obvious the further you get into the game, though you've got some of the pieces already.
    Edelgard's C+ (or was it B?) support with Byleth outlines how she was tortured as a kid as a method of producing the perfect emperor

You've already gone with her to Enbarr and helped her claim her crown—this is her taking an active role that allows her to establish her own power base separate from Those Who Slither in the Dark, which allows her to wage her war on her own terms and keep the Twisted on the back-step. In any path where you don't help her do that, she still becomes emperor, but it's according to Thales's design, and she remains an unwilling puppet of the Twisted who can only act against them in subtle ways

Chapter 12
    She actually does send out a manifesto to every region of the continent, as I remember, and convinces about half the nobility in every region to side with her against the church

As to why Byleth does what they do:
    Rhea gives you an absolute binary. You either murder Edelgard or you turn against the church. That's the whole thing. There's no reasoning with Rhea—her character arc has been leading up to that for the past ten chapters.

By making the choice you did, you're saying that Byleth doesn't believe that Edelgard is responsible for Jeralt's death—that they don't have all the information, but the bonds between them and Edelgard is enough to make them believe her when she says she had nothing to do with it. It's... very Fire Emblem, in its way

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    edited January 2020

Edelgard is the flame emperor.
    Byleth tries to save Jeralt but Flame Emperor teleports in and stops her.
    Unless i am missing some reveal, that feels like a pretty obvious assumption to make.
    People frequently seem to forget the scene where the Flame Emperor, speaking to Thales and Monika, mentions that there will be no salvation for Thales or his kind, those responsible for such gruesome deeds in Duscur and Enbarr.

Like... it's OK to believe that the Flame Emperor is lying when they tell Byleth they got nothing to do with Remire, but to somehow conclude that Thales and crew are the Flame Emperor's underlings and therefore the Flame Emperor is responsible for their actions is... odd. Their 'alliance' is clearly a contentious one.
    I remember it, but Flame emperor keeps working with these people, guilt by association is a thing.
    Sure they might not be guilty of the things that happened at the village, they just (as far as Byleth knows) continues to work with them.

I don't think what happens in chapter 11 is unreasonable sequence of events.
    I do think it should have been built up a bit more during chapter 11, expanded upon.
    And hopefully gets visited later.

edit-
    Thought occurs to me, after
    Jeralts death
    Did Edelgard
    intend to lead Byleth into a trap meant to kill them? Or is this Edelgard and her "allies" working at cross purposes?
    She seemed pretty distraught when Byleth was sent away. But then what was she expecting?

My working assumption is the Edelgard wanted to provide closure for Byleth, sacrifice the fake student who actually killed Jeralt to stop any future revenge plots if/when stuff gets out.
    But not 100% on that, does this get revisited?

Nyysjan on

Unless i am missing some reveal, that feels like a pretty obvious assumption to make.

You should go back and rewatch that scene! There's a particular detail that's the other way around.

dN0T6ur.png
    Wyborn wrote: »

You should go back and rewatch that scene! There's a particular detail that's the other way around.
    Right, thanks, misremembered it due to the scene afterwards.
    This does provide some better context. Does not really remove all the issues i have (and these are not major issues, it's mostly about pacing if anything), but that one thing i was wrong about.

I remember it, but Flame emperor keeps working with these people, guilt by association is a thing.
    Sure they might not be guilty of the things that happened at the village, they just (as far as Byleth knows) continues to work with them.

I do think it should have been built up a bit more during chapter 11, expanded upon.

edit-
    Jeralts death
    Did Edelgard
    intend to lead Byleth into a trap meant to kill them? Or is this Edelgard and her "allies" working at cross purposes?
    She seemed pretty distraught when Byleth was sent away. But then what was she expecting?

My working assumption is the Edelgard wanted to provide closure for Byleth, sacrifice the fake student who actually killed Jeralt to stop any future revenge plots if/when stuff gets out.

This is part of the game where you can miss a great deal depending on who you send after who.
    If you send Edelgard after the Twisted, the degree of animosity she has for them becomes really clear, and so does their fear of her. I'm paraphrasing but it's a bit like this

Kronya: Edelgard what are you doing?
    Edelgard: Exacting the revenge that you deserve *chop*

Solon: I knew you were too dangerous to let live. I will put right the error that is your life!
    Edelgard: You took the words right out of my mouth *chop*

Edelgard goes into the forest with the class specifically to kill the people who murdered Geralt and threaten Byleth. She doesn't really know what Solon is capable of, though she does have faith that Byleth can handle it. She wasn't leading Byleth into a trap; when she says they're going out there to kill the Twisted, she means it more than she's ever meant anything

The most important factors for understanding Edelgard in any given scene:
    1. She hates the church, and the Crest system that it spawned, above all else. She hates the power structure that killed her siblings and mutilated her and has been used to keep the separate nations at each other's throats for a thousand years, and she will do anything to make it so that these injustices can't be repeated.

2. She hates the Twisted because they're evil and tortured her and killed her family. She hates them moderately less than she hates the crest system.

3. She cares about Byleth a lot, because Byleth is a person who believes in her in spite of the fact that Edelgard sees herself as fundamentally broken, even evil. She makes no argument in Chapter 11, once she's revealed, because she expects that Byleth will kill her. When Byleth spares her—when Byleth insists that she deserves to live—is the first time anyone has ever treated with Edelgard as if she's more than a monster. Byleth isn't just a person she can believe in; Byleth is the first person who believes in her.

dN0T6ur.png

edit-
    Jeralts death
    Did Edelgard

This is part of the game where you can miss a great deal depending on who you send after who.
    If you send Edelgard after the Twisted, the degree of animosity she has for them becomes really clear, and so does their fear of her. I'm paraphrasing but it's a bit like this

Kronya: Edelgard what are you doing?
    Edelgard: Exacting the revenge that you deserve *chop*

Solon: I knew you were too dangerous to let live. I will put right the error that is your life!
    Edelgard: You took the words right out of my mouth *chop*

Edelgard goes into the forest with the class specifically to kill the people who murdered Geralt and threaten Byleth. She doesn't really know what Solon is capable of, though she does have faith that Byleth can handle it. She wasn't leading Byleth into a trap; when she says they're going out there to kill the Twisted, she means it more than she's ever meant anything

The most important factors for understanding Edelgard in any given scene:
    1. She hates the church, and the Crest system that it spawned, above all else. She hates the power structure that killed her siblings and mutilated her and has been used to keep the separate nations at each other's throats for a thousand years, and she will do anything to make it so that these injustices can't be repeated.

2. She hates the Twisted because they're evil and tortured her and killed her family. She hates them moderately less than she hates the crest system.

3. She cares about Byleth a lot, because Byleth is a person who believes in her in spite of the fact that Edelgard sees herself as fundamentally broken, even evil. She makes no argument in Chapter 11, once she's revealed, because she expects that Byleth will kill her. When Byleth spares her—when Byleth insists that she deserves to live—is the first time anyone has ever treated with Edelgard as if she's more than a monster. Byleth isn't just a person she can believe in; Byleth is the first person who believes in her.

Nice, thanks for the info.
    I guess i am somewhat missing out due tohaving Byleth so high above eveyone else in levels so she tends to be the one to go in for the kills on major fights (also she has a huge move speed advantage on any non cavalry/flyer).

It might be worth trying to get everyone else up to speed a little bit, when you get the opportunity! Byleth's super powerful most of the time but it's also OK for them to hang back and let everyone else grow. Edelgard in particular is probably the most busted unit in Fire Emblem history, though you won't really see why until Chapter 13

dN0T6ur.png
    It might be worth trying to get everyone else up to speed a little bit, when you get the opportunity! Byleth's super powerful most of the time but it's also OK for them to hang back and let everyone else grow. Edelgard in particular is probably the most busted unit in Fire Emblem history, though you won't really see why until Chapter 13
    I've been keeping Byleth hanging back more last couple chapters.
    She's just so busted that she can basicly just facetank almost everything and retaliate with spells so when stuff gets tight i have a tendency to just go the easy route.
    Thinking of taking some free fights to level up supports between other characters and gain levels soon as well.

I absolutely can’t remember what happens here other than my weak-ass characters appearing and getting sliced to shreds immediately before I can bring my forces back together

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

I absolutely can’t remember what happens here other than my weak-ass characters appearing and getting sliced to shreds immediately before I can bring my forces back together

Just when you get her personal weapon.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    I thought that was chapter 11

Oh fuck I was thinking Byleth, not Edie

Yes yes the effect on Edie’s weapon is fucking broke

Petra is still the true OP Goddess and I’m on team Brigid all the way

Hmmmmm

I think all the lady units are OP or viable

But only Hube, Felix & Sylvain of the non-lord dudes

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Petra is still the true OP Goddess and I’m on team Brigid all the way

You know, for a game that's extremely focussed on the internal politics of its setting, Three Houses does keep bringing up the fact there's a world outside of Fódlan. And maybe was because of the backlash against Fates' sloppy-to-non-existent worldbuilding, but I really appreciated it.

But it also means that I want the next Fire Emblem game to take place in Morfis, and I just know I'm gonna be disappointed on that one. If the next Fire Emblem does take place in the same world, I'm betting it'll be Almyra or Dagda that gets the spotlight.

I really want a DLC to go more into the background of the 3H setting, or a sequel that does. There's so many open questions

Hmmmmm

Ferdie and Lindhart are good units as well, though not really busted or anything. Ferd is discount Sylvain, and Lind learns warp plus physic which means it's basically impossible for him to be bad

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Hmmmmm

Umm I believe you forgot someone. I understand why, he so rarely says his own name, it's easy to forget he's there.

Also there's one Caspar build I saw that looked pretty much undefeatable.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    More of the male builds seem reliant on luck; Felix was the only consistent male character across five runs for me. I did have some stellar Caspar/Sylvain/Ferdie builds and actually Ignatz kicked ass for me, too, but I also had terrible versions of all of them, too.

Then again I also played only on Hard, not Maddening...

Janson on
    I think every character can get pretty RNG screwed to some extent, especially those with poor growths to start

My second playthrough Byleth even was struggling with low str, def, and speed level ups until I finally got them into swordmaster

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Basically Edelgard is good and I can say that despite not having played her route yet.

It's dangerous to underestimate Ferdinand, if only because he gets Seal Speed, Shatter Slash, and Swift Strikes. He's one of the best softening units in the game except for Jeralt, and being able to guarantee two hits before the enemy can counterattack, regardless of your own speed or the weight of the weapon you use, is really clutch

dN0T6ur.png
    Hmmmmm

Umm I believe you forgot someone. I understand why, he so rarely says his own name, it's easy to forget he's there.

Caspar sucks so much shit though

“always getting doubled” speed paired with magely defense and only 2 talents, he’s nearly as worthless as Raph

Hmmmmm

Caspar sucks so much shit though

“always getting doubled” speed paired with magely defense and only 2 talents, he’s nearly as worthless as Raph

You leave my fool punch son alone!

dN0T6ur.png
    Caspar is workable, mostly. Like many units just making him a Wyvern Lord makes it hard for him to be terrible, and he doesn't require much investment to get him there. Train up his flying, have him adjunct someone early, and then use him as an extra flyer to pick off weakened units on later maps. Just, uh, don't let him enemy phase.

7h8wnycre6vs.png