As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pepperoni

13»

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Soft and supple
    Madican wrote: »
    I don't really get people who say fruit shouldn't be on pizza because it's sweet and then bite into a slice with tomato sauce without hesitation.

Do they just not taste the sweetness of the sauce?

if your tomato sauce is notably sweet its bad sauce because it has a lot of added sugar

It's all bad sauce then, because I've never tasted a tomato sauce that wasn't sweet. Which is why I opt for creamy garlic sauce whenever possible. Still kinda sweet, but more flavor than just that.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Curled and crunchy
    There's also a world of difference between a slightly sweet pizza sauce and BAM PINEAPPLE IN YO FACE

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Curled and crunchy
    Hakunin wrote: »
    Confessions of a picky eater:

I'd eat a pizza without cheese, but not one with too much cheese.

A friend of mine was dating a vegan guy for a bit, and after a few of us helped them move once they took us out to pizza. We went to Lou Malnati's, and while most of us were splitting a normal pizza, he ordered a personal deep dish pizza with no toppings and also no cheese. Essentially just a bowl of tomato sauce in a pizza crust (a crust which, despite being described as "butter crust," is apparently vegan) bread bowl.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Curled and crunchy
    TheStig wrote: »
    Do people who don't like pineapple on pizza not like any pineapple? Do they have that weird genetic thing where cilantro tastes like soap?

yes and yes

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Other (explain)
    bowen wrote: »
    There's also a world of difference between a slightly sweet pizza sauce and BAM PINEAPPLE IN YO FACE

No it's not that, it's the "NO SWEETNESS IN MY SAVORY"

You can not like pineapple on pizza, but that statement is just nonsense.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Pineapple is almost like, too sweet for me regardless.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Curled and crunchy
    when I was growing up there was a Canadian bacon + pineapple pizza at every kid's birthday and every class pizza party I went to

so the idea that this is some bizarre topping has always been weird to me

I like it but it's nowhere near my favorite

e: I will say, however, that one day last year I was flipping through The Joy of Cooking to see what it had to say on the subject of pizza, and it tried to tell me that Canadian bacon and pineapple is "Seattle pizza" and I've rarely been more offended than I was by that

Shorty on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Curled and crunchy
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pineapple is almost like, too sweet for me regardless.

Yeah, I find it too sweet on its own, which is why I gotta mix it with some savory elements.

• Options
    Curled and crunchy
    Shorty wrote: »
    when I was growing up there was a Canadian bacon + pineapple pizza at every kid's birthday and every class pizza party I went to

so the idea that this is some bizarre topping has always been weird to me

I like it but it's nowhere near my favorite

e: I will say, however, that one day last year I was flipping through The Joy of Cooking to see what it had to say on the subject of pizza, and it tried to tell me that Canadian bacon and pineapple is "Seattle pizza" and I've rarely been more offended than I was by that

Hawaiian pizza is of Canadian origin, I believe.

If it was truly Hawaiian it would be done with SPAM instead of Canadian bacon.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Curled and crunchy
    I maintain that the primary issue most people have (even if they don't realize it) with pineapple on pizza is textural. As noted here, sweetness in pizza is readily accepted, as is acidity, so the flavor shouldn't be an issue. The problem is that the majority of pizza places have pineapple as an afterthought for the folks who want it rather than trying to showcase it as an ingredient, so they just throw some sopping wet canned pineapple on a pizza and call it a day.

The result is sort of cooked, mushy, soaking wet pineapple on top of now mushy pizza. Which sucks! Fresh pineapple, sliced thin and slightly caramelized before being put on the pie, is delicious when paired with salty toppings like ham or Canadian bacon.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Pineapple was made for pizza

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I don't really get people who say fruit shouldn't be on pizza because it's sweet and then bite into a slice with tomato sauce without hesitation.

if your tomato sauce is notably sweet its bad sauce because it has a lot of added sugar

It's all bad sauce then, because I've never tasted a tomato sauce that wasn't sweet. Which is why I opt for creamy garlic sauce whenever possible. Still kinda sweet, but more flavor than just that.

Oh my god do you live in florida?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Soft and supple

California

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Other (explain)
    3clipse wrote: »
    The result is sort of cooked, mushy, soaking wet pineapple on top of now mushy pizza. Which sucks!

It's actually awesome, though

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Other (explain)
    #pipe wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

No it's not that, it's the "NO SWEETNESS IN MY SAVORY"

You can not like pineapple on pizza, but that statement is just nonsense.

'No sweet in savory' as an axiom is nonsense, sure, but I can say there are specific savory dishes I don't want sweetness in.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Curled and crunchy
    I mean, sure, a given food thing will always appeal to at least some folks. My argument is just that the issue most people find with pineapple probably isn't the flavor, it's the texture (certainly that's my issue with it).

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

California

But their pizza kitchen!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Curled and crunchy

California

Ah, that'll do it. Much like Mexican on the east coast, good pizza on the west coast is few and far between.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Curled and crunchy
    I mean, sure, a given food thing will always appeal to at least some folks. My argument is just that the issue most people find with pineapple probably isn't the flavor, it's the texture (certainly that's my issue with it).

Yeah it's vaguely reminiscent of my mother giving me canned vegetables all throughout my childhood which I also hated immensely because I hate eating gloopy and mushy foods outside of mashed potatoes.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Curled and crunchy
    I'd try SPAM pizza, yeah.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Curled and crunchy
    spam and pineapple sounds like a pretty good combination, actually

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Soft and supple

California

Ah, that'll do it. Much like Mexican on the east coast, good pizza on the west coast is few and far between.

Mmm, now I want a grilled chicken tostada bowl for dinner

Madican on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

California

It's not actually that hard to find but you do have to look for it. College/tourist heavy areas of SoCal are bursting at the seams with pizza places. There are probably 30-40 pizza places in and around the Fullerton/Anaheim area but quite a few of those are sub par. As a college kid you don't care. Any pizza is good pizza.

I'm fortunate that I live by some pretty decent places now. One of them does a 5 cheese, rosemary, garlic and bacon pizza that's kind of creamy and amazing (Fresh anyway. It's doesn't reheat all that well.).

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Curled and crunchy
    I've been cooking just the pepperoni in the toaster oven. Like potato chips made out of meat.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    LarLar
    It's all good pepperoni bront