As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Once Upon A Time In...YaYa and Goose!’s Oscar Thread [YAYA WINS! PARASITE WINS!]

YaYaYaYa Decent.Registered User regular
edited February 2020 in Social Entropy++
Oscars 2020! new thread, no hosts, maybe Parasite can win!

Here is the link to the form for the pool, entries close at 3:30PM PST on February 8th, a day before the ceremony. EDIT: pool closed! may the odds etc etc etc

we'll be collecting prizes up until February 8th, for now: @Goose! and I can announce that we’ll be offering six months of AMC A-List as a prize!

feel free to offer any and all prizes to the pool, and talk about how pissed you’ll be when Parasite doesn’t win anything other than Best Foreign Film before the nominations drop!

YaYa on

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    They're holding another one of these dang things?

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Best picture noms, a list out of my ass for shits and giggles:

Parasite
    The Lighthouse
    Little Women
    The Irishman
    Uncut Gems
    Doctor Sleep
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Todd Phillips? Really?

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Joker has 11 nominations, my guy

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    What the fuck?

We sure do live in a society.

If I'm doing the form it'll be not till tonight. My current job isn't like my old one I have zero free time

Goose! on
    And I don't get that either!

Oh well, rooting for Parasite, expecting 1917 (ugh) or The Irishmen (which I haven't seen but I'm sure is excellent).

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    I’m not gonna put my ballot in until the last few days but I’m calling Once Upon A Time In Hollywood for best picture

Feels like Little Women, 1917, The Irishman and maybe Parasite are the real contenders here

sig.gif
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    *breathes heavily*

Joker ties for most Oscar wins for a film

aGPmIBD.jpg
    And I figured it would get snubbed from all the big categories besides screenplay, but no Knives Out in production design is ????????

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'm really, really salty about Lupita Nyong'o not getting a nomination. I know 'Us' came out like a decade ago last March, but fucking seriously.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh yeah. It is thst time of year again.

The Academy probably feels like they nominated Black Panther and gave Best Picture to Green Book so now they're good for about 5 years of just white movies, because they're old racist fucks.

sig.gif
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I know Joker caused a lot of controversy but isn't is pretty regarded as a VERY well made and acted movie and shouldn't the nomination not really be a big surprise?

Also they probably feel like nominating Jojo Rabbit and Parasite checks the diversity box and well they already liked Get Out so it's not like they can like a second Jordan Peele movie now

sig.gif
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I know Joker caused a lot of controversy but isn't is pretty regarded as a VERY well made and acted movie and shouldn't the nomination not really be a big surprise?

Sure but the main problem is it’s more opportunity for Todd Phillips to share his incredibly stupid and wrong opinions about everything

Captain Inertia on

Sure but the main problem is it’s more opportunity for Todd Phillips to share his incredibly stupid and wrong opinions about everything

I'm not trying to defend the movie or anything, I still haven't seen it. I'm just saying that it probably shouldn't be a surprise that it got so many nominations.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Not really

it had early hype but it has a 59% on Metacritic. 30 positive reviews, 15, mixed and 12 negative

Average/mixed score overall

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Hell it only has a 69% on RT, which is just "who thought it was at least watchable"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Though I guess that shouldn't be a surprise after Crash and Green Book

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Not really. 69% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Metascore of 59 on Metacritic. Not exactly universal critical acclaim.

For comparison, Knives Out is at 97 and 82, and Parasite is at 99 and 96. Little Women is at 95 and 91.

This many noms for Joker feels more like "It made a billion dollars, we should recognize it."

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Sometimes I wonder if the Joker-haters are right but then I remember the dancing scene in the bathroom and am like, nah, Joker's good

Too bad about Uncut Gems being shut-out and Knives Out only getting a single nom tho

There is basically no communication between film critics, the Academy, and general audiences. Just three completely separate audiences with completely incompatible tastes.

sig.gif
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ugh I thought The Irishman and Once Upon A Time in Hollywood were overtly long and boring and Joker was ok, but best picture?

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm really, really salty about Lupita Nyong'o not getting a nomination. I know 'Us' came out like a decade ago last March, but fucking seriously.
    Yeah her performance was unreal, being both a believable mother and terrifying murderer in the same movie.

Not being subtle with the racism this year.

YL9WnCY.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I hope Parasite wins a few. I haven't seen it but at least it's different from everything else on the list this year

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    SimBen wrote: »
    The Academy probably feels like they nominated Black Panther and gave Best Picture to Green Book so now they're good for about 5 years of just white movies, because they're old racist fucks.

Wasn't Green Book also basically a white movie since it apparently had changes to actual events that made the driver look better and was done without the consent of the musician's family?

Madican on
    Moonlight is the token Academy pick.

They gave Moonlight best pic so they don't have to worry about minorities for at least ten years.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Wasn't Green Book also basically a white movie since it apparently had changes to actual events that made the driver look better and was done without the consent of the musician's family?

Sure was.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

Sure was.

It rewrote a real person into a stereotype to create the narrative of the stiff, overly cultured black man learning to appreciate his own culture from his salt-of-the-earth working class driver. None of the relationships in the movie existed as depicted, the subject of the movie was adamant that he did not want Hollywood touching his life story, and the white POV character's real life counterpart was not only not a friend but someone who got fired and was largely forgotten until he sold the rights to "their" life story.

Even by the slippery standards of Hollywood biopics, it was pretty bad.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    He's right

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Fuckin', Bong Joon-ho is the goddamn best.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    In light of Greta Gerwig not getting nominated for directing Little Women I was like, "fuck and they didn't even nominate her for directing Lady Bird either," but they uh, did, and then I was like, "I bet she should have fuckin' won that year too!" and then I got a look at the other nominees and that was a legitimately good year for the category, like, Jordan Peele and Guillermo del Toro are in there!

and then I got mad that Allison Janney won instead of Laurie Metcalf again, smh

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    In light of Greta Gerwig not getting nominated for directing Little Women I was like, "fuck and they didn't even nominate her for directing Lady Bird either," but they uh, did, and then I was like, "I bet she should have fuckin' won that year too!" and then I got a look at the other nominees and that was a legitimately good year for the category, like, Jordan Peele and Guillermo del Toro are in there!

and then I got mad that Allison Janney won instead of Laurie Metcalf again, smh

I haven't really paid much attention to the Oscars in the past. Right not it seems like the consensus is that Greta Gerwig got snubbed for best director. I think Little Women in one of the best movies I've seen this year so my inclination is to agree, but it did get nominated for Best Picture. Generally what is the line that makes a movie Best Picture worthy, but not best director, or vice versa? I'm mostly curious in what would a director need to do for their movie to legitimately deserve a Best Picture nomination, but not a Best Director nomination.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    It got nominated for Best Picture, screenplay, and got two acting nominations. I guess the movie was good in spite of the direction, though!

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Nearly as happy that Pugh was nominated for Little Women as I am mad that Jennifer Lopez got snubbed for Hustlers

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    personally I can't believe how snubbed The Lighthouse was

and also Once Upon a Time in Hollywood might be Tarantino's single weakest film, honestly

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I know Cats withdrew from the statues but I was looking forward to being outraged at Jennifer Hudson getting snubbed by the Taylor Swift and Idris Elba sex duet.

steam_sig.png