As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Baby had a 103.1 temp when she went to bed last night. We gave her Tylenol and she slept until 8am (down at 6:30) and this morning she was 99.7. Phew!

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Bab turned 16 months in December

I think I need to plan better for activities. It's frustrating with days blending together, I don't know what kind of achievements I'm looking for with play, but at this point it's just what can we do to pass the time.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I've never really spent much time with kids before having Sapling, so as far as in concerned, every time she does something I'm thinking "this is the first time a toddler has ever done this in history", and my wife is like "she did that last week, it's about how fast her niece managed it."

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

I think I need to plan better for activities. It's frustrating with days blending together, I don't know what kind of achievements I'm looking for with play, but at this point it's just what can we do to pass the time.

Honestly dont put too much pressure on yourself to deliver (or feel you are delivering) magical play and activity experiences. Your kid or kids will have just as much fun literally rolling about in the dirt if they get excited about it as on the most exciting activity ever.

If you are looking to have things feel more meaningful, I suggest some kind of physical activity like peewee soccer or something if your kid will play group games already. But, unless you are blessed with a very calm child, you aren't going to be like, weaving baskets and stuff.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Honestly dont put too much pressure on yourself to deliver (or feel you are delivering) magical play and activity experiences. Your kid or kids will have just as much fun literally rolling about in the dirt if they get excited about it as on the most exciting activity ever.

If you are looking to have things feel more meaningful, I suggest some kind of physical activity like peewee soccer or something if your kid will play group games already. But, unless you are blessed with a very calm child, you aren't going to be like, weaving baskets and stuff.

Yeah, for them, just being with them and paying attention to them is good. A variety of stuff is nice when you can, but I wouldn't worry too much for play stuff.

If you're getting bored, that's a different story (and more likely). It's not really rare, babies are often quite boring :P. Having trouble thinking of anything specific, but good luck! :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    kime wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »

Yeah, for them, just being with them and paying attention to them is good. A variety of stuff is nice when you can, but I wouldn't worry too much for play stuff.

If you're getting bored, that's a different story (and more likely). It's not really rare, babies are often quite boring :P. Having trouble thinking of anything specific, but good luck! :D

we tell ourselves we need to do more activities with our kids all the time, but every time we do something it's way more effort for us and they hardly care at all. This weekend we went to this neat train show thing we thought our 2 yr old would like. Before we even got there he asked to go home... it went pretty well considering that. Honestly, he's happy enough just hanging out with us, running errands and going to the park/library.

Cauld on
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Since time is a blur I'm just gonna post some of the stuff we do to fill the day (my oldest will be 3 in April, my youngest just turned 1). Most of this will be age appropriate in the short term or is already.

Kinetic Sand
    Coloring with markers- start with Crayola's invisible ones that only work on special paper if you like but we've played supervised with regular ones since she was just older then 2.
    Duplo blocks - since she was about 2
    Play doh - again since 2, the travel size ones are also awesome for excursions to restaurants and such
    Tons of walking in the park at that age - pointing out animals and the like, swingsets, letting her climb on basic playground equipment. Showing her how to do stuff.
    Imitative play and toys - cooking, cleaning, instruments or tools - kids are interested in what you're doing even if it's really mundane.

Everything they do is built on the scaffolding of something else - whether it's something mental or physical. If you're wondering what's next try to observe other kids about her age and see what they can do and try to figure out if there's anything you can work on to get your kid there.

The CDC also makes a milestones app that is handy.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    Honestly, he's happy enough just hanging out with us, running errands and going to the park/library.

Enjoy it while you can, because in a few years, spending time with you will be like poison and the struggle to get them out of the house with you because, no, you can't stay home by yourself while the rest of us go out of town to visit relatives, is real and omg just get in the goddamn car and stop complaining.

Also our kid gets psyched going to the zoo.

Or the pet store

Or pottery Barn kids

Or the grocery store

A lot of that is how we frame it of course.

Honestly, there are three levels of child engagement and satisfaction at that age.

1) child is crying,angry, or destructive
    2) child is using a screen
    3) child is playing

Providing you are moving up the levels, you are parenting well ;) like, the toy I'd recommend most for a 16 month old is "the park" followed by, "whatever you are willing to sit and do with them"

Kinetic sand is fun though, I dont mind digging around in that for 45 minutes or so. But, it's not more or less fun than say, a box, to a 16 month old.

The limited amount of time my kid uses a screen each day since she turned about 2.5 has made my life demonstrably worse and more stressful for what it's worth.

We just bought some bath boats for Sapling over the weekend (holy shit the squeeze toys are awful for collecting mold), and she had been messing around with them, then came up to us and said what we think was "Six boats". So far she hasn't seemed to really grasp a finite number of things past 2 (she gets 1 thing, and she can count two objects, but anything more than two and she just keeps counting till she hits 10 or 20, depending on how excited she is to be counting), so it was pretty exciting to hear.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    The limited amount of time my kid uses a screen each day since she turned about 2.5 has made my life demonstrably worse and more stressful for what it's worth.

We've still avoided giving her any consistent screen time at 2.5. I'm curious how long she'll let us get away with that :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile

We've still avoided giving her any consistent screen time at 2.5. I'm curious how long she'll let us get away with that :D

She still doesn't get a fixed amount - we started using it as a means to reward potty training success and are now down to using it for poops only.

But it almost always over stims her and makes her behavior way worse to grapple with as a whole.

Prior to potty training the only screen time she had gotten was the couple times she had stomach bugs and a clip video from Moana that was the only way to hold her still while cutting her nails.

• CauldCauld Registered User regular

Same here. Only screen time our 2 yr old gets is if someone else is using their phone while he watches. It definitely happens, but it's negligible.

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    We just bought some bath boats for Sapling over the weekend (holy shit the squeeze toys are awful for collecting mold), and she had been messing around with them, then came up to us and said what we think was "Six boats". So far she hasn't seemed to really grasp a finite number of things past 2 (she gets 1 thing, and she can count two objects, but anything more than two and she just keeps counting till she hits 10 or 20, depending on how excited she is to be counting), so it was pretty exciting to hear.
    Along the lines of bath toys, agreed, squirt toys just collect mold like the dickens. So I was happy when we found some by a company called 'Boon' which come apart into two pieces (they're called Spurt Squirties). I will say it takes more hand strength to make them squirt, but that's good for kids to practice anyways, and you can pop them open to clean them. They also make a great light up bath toy named Marco. Our daughter sometimes enjoyed taking glow in the dark baths, with glowsticks and whatnot. This allowed us to get away from using up glowsticks, which was just a ton of plastic going in the trash.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Now, if you can find a way to get my 9 and 11 year old to keep water in the tub when they take a bath or shower, I'll praise you as a Saint.

Same goes for getting towels off the floor.

Cauld wrote: »

Same here. Only screen time our 2 yr old gets is if someone else is using their phone while he watches. It definitely happens, but it's negligible.

While I dont think screens are a bad thing, after all,sometimes you just cant be engaged with them and need them to be still for 45 minutes, my only screen related advice is to try to use the TV rather than phones and iPads. Because, the TV is in a certain place, so it can help with avoiding the continual requests for videos on phones.

With my older son, we did well and kept screens to a minimum till around 3. With the two of them now though it's hard. Which is why I'm glad we only have thellder one the TV, since it means at least when we are out and about neither of them asks for phones.

Screens definitely dont help with anything long term, but, they do help when you just need a moment's peace to avoid getting angry with them :)

My mother-in-law keeps asking if Sapling is having fun with the Fire Tablet she got for christmas, and we keep just making non-commital noises because we don't really want her spending a bunch of time on it. I think it actually got some real use the other day when my wife had a doctors appointment and no one was available to watch her though.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Eh, screens is a whole thing.

Ellie's been watching some youtube channel called "Dr Binocs" and has been picking up on all kinds of things like how chicken pox works, and earthquakes/volcanoes, and tornadoes and all kinds of other things. They're rather enjoyable. She's learned heaps of things that we would never have thought to teach her (if you smell smoke, cover your mouth with something wet and crawl on the floor to the safest exit, for example).

Boon is a great company and I love their products and I wish we had a bathtub so she could take baths with toys.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    You know what's really gross? Toy review youtube.

:so_raven:
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I have an irrational hatred of the FGTV family thanks to my five year old and his screentime.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Sometimes I wonder about the lack of screens... My kids almost never get TV or Tablet (oldest is 6,then 4, then 15 months) unless they did something good.

But when they do watch TV it's always something way below their age range... Like Peppa The Pig or stuff like that. And when they do see something older they always get scared of literally everything. Then my oldest gets nightmares.

• R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    We introduced my little girl to parentally supervised YouTube Kids and Disney at about 1.5, and she got her own tablet at 2. She's been amazing at self-policing her screen time; she'll most commonly watch a video or about ten minutes of Moana and then run off to play soccer/spin in circles/chase us on all fours growling and proclaiming that she's a doggie. Had she not been so good at self-policing, her tablet and screen time wouldn't have existed.

In other news (and of course while I was out of town for work) my wife smelled gas and called the energy company; after investigation, they determined that a certain toddler had managed to work a piece of wood and a plastic knife into the supposedly sealed gas fireplace, prompting me to muse on how often the gas man had to respond to incidents of toddler sabotage.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    I have an irrational hatred of the FGTV family thanks to my five year old and his screentime.

those people are the FUCKING WORST

I think that the Netflix kids content (and the other paid curated kids services) area bit better for screen options than YouTube kids and its ilk. YouTube is fine for supervised viewing, lots of good stuff on there, but I'm sure most of us use the TV to help at those moments when we cant be actively supervising and then YouTube kids will lead you off into at best all that "kids opening and playing with toys" content.

It's a tough balance of course. Who knows what is really best! I know from my older vs younger son, that if I had never used a screen to occupy him before 3, then he'd never have asked for it (because, he didnt) whereas with my younger one I cant imagine dealing with the two of them without using TV occasionally to give me a break.

I guess the main thing to remember is that screens aren't for them. Screens are for you, when you dont have the energy or time to engage with them. And that's just fine, because a lot of the stuff you do is for them! But, screens are still for you, even if they are the ones watching them.

Just got back from surgery. Grumpy girl post-op but once we got home and she realized she was done she was a happy camper. Hoping this really helps her out... I don't like seeing her in that much pain.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Now, if you can find a way to get my 9 and 11 year old to keep water in the tub when they take a bath or shower, I'll praise you as a Saint.

"I'm just going to stand in here. If you can't keep water in the tub and towels off the floor, I guess we need to reteach until you get it right!"

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

"I'm just going to stand in here. If you can't keep water in the tub and towels off the floor, I guess we need to reteach until you get it right!"

Ew, no.

Just, if they get water all over the floor, make them go back in there and clean it up. If they leave the towels on the floor, make them pick them up. They'll learn. If they don't, be obnoxious and smarmy about it.

Kids that age are very prone to being annoyed by you. Learn to weaponize that.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    Shameless dad bragging:

My daughter is a theater nerd, and she's trying out for Chicago. Auditions are broken into three parts, and she did the acting part yesterday, and everyone thought she was amazing and she got the audition equivalent of a standing ovation. (They aren't allowed to clap, so they basically do enthusiastic jazz hands.)

Today is the dancing part, which is... not her strong suit. But we'll see!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    It's been 24 hours since the surgery and I can say that the difference is night and day. She's super happy, giggling at everything and walking straight now. It's been a net improvement on her life and my wife and I seem to be much happier too.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    It's been 24 hours since the surgery and I can say that the difference is night and day. She's super happy, giggling at everything and walking straight now. It's been a net improvement on her life and my wife and I seem to be much happier too.

Tubes are a night and day difference. You'll probably see her language explode too.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Shameless dad bragging:

My daughter is a theater nerd, and she's trying out for Chicago. Auditions are broken into three parts, and she did the acting part yesterday, and everyone thought she was amazing and she got the audition equivalent of a standing ovation. (They aren't allowed to clap, so they basically do enthusiastic jazz hands.)

Today is the dancing part, which is... not her strong suit. But we'll see!

Update: Dancing is... really not her strong suit.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Elainedance.gif

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    First time mom has stayed somewhere else overnight and I have somehow completely borked the little ones sleep schedule. Her first nap was like 4 hours instead of 2, and I couldn’t get her to sleep a second time until like 6:45pm, when her bedtime is 9pm.

I am going to regret this second nap.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
    Sounds about right.

• AimAim Registered User regular
    Complaining time. Last week two kids had a stomach flu, the over the week my wife had(has) the flu, older kid got it, I'm coming down with it, and we're wondering in fear when the other two kids will get it as well.

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Aim wrote: »
    Complaining time. Last week two kids had a stomach flu, the over the week my wife had(has) the flu, older kid got it, I'm coming down with it, and we're wondering in fear when the other two kids will get it as well.

After watching my siblings families I feel like you call it a win if everyone only gets it once.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Any tips on trimming my almost 4 month olds nails? It doesn't seem like there's room to get the nail and I'm scared in gonna get her finger

RickRude wrote: »
    Any tips on trimming my almost 4 month olds nails? It doesn't seem like there's room to get the nail and I'm scared in gonna get her finger

It's hard. Also, the world won't end if you do get her finger, but you will feel like absolute shit.