As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Captain [MARVEL] Vs. The Evil Avengers

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    New X-Factor series by Leah Williams and David Baldeon

DxfWnRjl.jpg

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/1/13/21060674/marvel-comics-new-x-men-series-x-factor-leah-williams
    The next wrinkle in the unfolding story of the X-Men is all about the newest mutant power: unlimited resurrection. Polygon can exclusively announce the next book to join Marvel’s expanding X-Men slate is X-Factor, and partly about the Five, a group of characters whose powers combine to create the miracle of mutant immortality.

But it’s mostly about a new team of Krakoan operatives, comprised of the speedy Northstar, one of Marvel’s earliest openly queer characters; the all-seeing Eye Boy; the telepathic Rachel Grey; the polymath Prodigy; the magnetic Polaris; and Daken, Wolverine’s disaster son. They are X-Factor, and their job is to investigate and confirm mutant deaths — but not to avenge them.

That’s because the Five resurrect a mutant by creating a new body for them, and telepathically implanting a backup of their mind and personality. In the new series, X-Factor will hunt down missing mutants to confirm their deaths, so that the Five never run the risk of creating a duplicate of a living mutant — because that’s a big no no.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Eye Boy and Prodigy are both extremely good fits for an X Factor.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    “Daken, Wolverine’s disaster son”

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That's a very fun line-up and premise that also features 3 queer characters which is

Sadly a huge amount for a Big 2 superbook

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Also it is a really clever way to be An X-Factor Book by having a classic member in Polaris and being built around investigations, but still having a decidedly Krakoan spin on things due to the nature of the investigations.

It is really impressive how well each X-Book has carved out its own corner of the Krakoan Premise to explore

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm excited about loose cannon cop Daken

At first I wasn't sure if he really fit the team, but with the whole premise being based around them not avenging these deaths

Man he's just gonna fuck that up all the time

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Is uh

isn't dakken like, a rapist murderer

Or has some stuff changed

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    he's definitely a murderer, not sure about rapist

• Options
    Is uh

isn't dakken like, a rapist murderer

Or has some stuff changed
    Murderer, yes, but so are

Uh

A lot of X-Characters

Rapist, no

He has very vaguely defined pheromone powers like Spider-Woman and while it is definitely....squicky (but also, sadly, common in comics) I don't know of any straight up rape or anything.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I don't think rapist, although he does have pheromone control powers which certainly doesn't help his case there

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    There are a LOT of bad people on Krakoa. Dakken doesn’t even make a blip.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    That X-Factor book sounds rad as hell.

• Options
    There are a LOT of bad people on Krakoa. Dakken doesn’t even make a blip.
    General Amnesty baybee!

Its actually kinda neat to see who is making a genuine effort to be better (Pyro), who is discovering that they enjoy Krakoan life more than their previous life so they don't want to rock the boat but are still pretty fuckin gnarly (Gorgon) and who are just not even trying to change and are giant shitbirds (Apocalypse).

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Was Daken changed at all when he was brought back in Uncanny X-Force? And if so, has the Krokoan thing undone that change?

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    That is an interesting line up for X-Factor and it will be neat to get more insight into the 5 and what they're like after essentially becoming mutant Jesus's.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Krakoans are not, on the whole, good people.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    strong disagree

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Neither are people, really!

That's the whole point of it! They are finally playing by Humanity's rules and being better at it than them while trying to better the world in the process!

Hickman said that every time someone tells him he is being too harsh to humanity and the state of the world he reads the news and decides to double down because everything is fuckin broken!

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I mean there are shitbirds who are actively in power IN REAL LIFE.

Krakoa shouldn’t be a nation of absolutely perfect great people because that’s not how real life works.

And man if you’re gonna write off Krakoa for some bads uhhh...

(I’m not saying you are @Fencingsax by the way. Your comment just hit a button that I think Hickman’s X-Men are doing a real good job portraying.)

• Options
    And yep, there we go.

Apocalypse is officially Mitch McConnell in my head now.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yes, exactly. The point I get from the whole Krakoan thing is that in every way that matters, they absolutely are human.

• Options
    I guess some of this just comes down to whether or not you believe people are, on the whole, good people.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Really this whole situation we're in would be a lot less distressing if people were fundamentally bad

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    I think there are loads of Good Krakoan characters and that their end goals are absolutely better for the world (Magneto straight up says they are gonna take as many platforms of power and influence away from bigots as they can, because you can't get rid of hate but you can sure as hell take away its tools).

Their methods are...less overtly good, but they are not any worse or less realistic than any other real nation on the Earth and not worth writing them off.

Like, could they just give away all of their magic medications to help the world? Sure, yeah, that would be very kind.

But they wouldn't gain anything from it and as a nation composed of an actively hated and discriminated against minority, holding leverage in the discussions of Power is maybe the most important thing in the world and something they need if they are going to change it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I guess some of this just comes down to whether or not you believe people are, on the whole, good people.

The Marvel Universe is mostly populated by people like Thaddeus Ross.

• Options
    What I really like about Krakoa is that it’s the logical “extreme” of Magneto’s ideology.

Moreso than even Astroid M.

He fought for all mutants, in his own mind, even the ones fighting him. And now there is a country for ALL mutants, even the monsters.

Hell I think this even fits him better than Astroid M. M was a “ fuck it we’re leaving” type of move, which is slightly out of character for him.

Krakoa is a statement. “We WILL participate in this society and we WILL have a place whether you like it or not because this is our earth too, and we will do everything in our power to make it so”.

• Options
    I uh

hmm

I am not trans but

You ARE the gender you identify as

I'm imagining this person maybe just phrased the question weird

But a trans mutant coming back to life as their "real gender" is a really touchy and complicated subject and I'm not really sure I trust marvel to do that right

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I'm also open to the idea I'm completely wrong, because I am dumb

• Options
    edited January 2020
    It is less Marvel I trust and more Leah Williams who is a very, very vocal trans (and LGBTQ folks in general) ally and has talked about speaking with trans folks to handle issues correctly in the past

Additionally, every trans person has their own views on the issue. That twitter person may have phrased it wrong but if, like, I was given the choice of trading in my current body for one I feel comfortable in from the jump versus having to take daily hormones and maybe surgery to feel more at home in my own skin

I would not hesitate for a moment.

I think it is a fair angle to explore, especially given how basically non-existent trans stories are in superhero books

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    It is less Marvel I trust and more Leah Williams who is a very, very vocal trans (and LGBTQ folks in general) ally and has talked about speaking with trans folks to handle issues correctly in the past

Additionally, every trans person has their own views on the issue. That twitter person may have phrased it wrong but if, like, I was given the choice of trading in my current body for one I feel comfortable in from the jump versus having to take daily hormones and maybe surgery to feel more at home in my own skin

I would not hesitate for a moment

I didn't really know anything about Leah Williams, that is very good to hear!

• Options
    The idea of having to suffer to be your true identity is harmful and toxic as shit.

If there was magic handwave bullshit that addressed gender identity issues, fuck anyone who would talk down to or demonize anyone willing to take that road.

• Options
    The idea of having to suffer to be your true identity is harmful and toxic as shit.

If there was magic handwave bullshit that addressed gender identity issues, fuck anyone who would talk down to or demonize anyone willing to take that road.

Thats super not what I was saying!

• Options
    She is part of the self-described "trash queer squad" at Marvel with Vita Ayala and Tini Howard.

She is...hit or miss, writing wise. I think her more dramatic stuff hits pretty well and she can do some good goofs but when she goes for Full Comedy it is basically poison to me.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I super wasn’t addressing anyone @Chincymcchilla lol.

I’m moreso going at the idea itself possibly happening, which I feel would 100% be a thing.

Transporter on
  • Options
    I'm a little curious if Williams might be the person to finally resolve all the subtext around Rachel Grey

If anybody would push hard for that, it's her

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I'm a little curious if Williams might be the person to finally resolve all the subtext around Rachel Grey

If anybody would push hard for that, it's her

What’s this now?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Rachel is only slightly behind Kitty Pryde in terms of female characters with a ton of queer subtext that have never been acknowledged as canonically not straight

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Wait, I was right.

Kate, Rachel and Ilyana have had a subtextual thing going on for a vary long time.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Honestly with Ilyana being confirmed to be queer, Kate and Emma having an EXTREMELY gay scene in the latest Marauders and the very heavy hints at the Logan/Scott/Jean poly thing

I am really hoping this is just the Queerest X-Era ever

Also, specifically, give me Kate and Ilyana GODDAMMIT

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.