As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

KRANCH [bad food]

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Piazza hut marinara is like v8 and tamato soup with extra sugar.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Pizza Hut's sauce does have sugar but I think pepper?

Whetever is in it is the consistency of water

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    I don't know what a good pizza is supposed to be like

Well, if it's a pizza, and you like it

It's a good pizza

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I was cursed by a school librarian to eat a Pizza Hut personal pan pizza every time I read five books.

Please help me, my arteries are dying.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Glal wrote: »
    I'm told the UK Dominos is way better than US Dominos. Which I find hard to believe, because UK Dominos is dire.

The Dominos near my house is decent to one of the better ones I have done business with. But as I said it's sad when I go and the person at the counter asks if I want the usual {Am I the only person who gets a large with double pep and extra cheese?}

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Domino's by me is pretty good. Pizza above average and decent wings.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I went grocery shopping this morning, but really only grabbed some necessities.

Lunchtime came and went, and I didn't know what to eat.

So I ordered Dominos.

It's all right. It's not gonna make me sick (I don't think), and I got a decent deal on it.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I've had Pizza Hut in the UK and Dominos in Germany and thought both were pretty good

Never been to the US, so can't comment on if they differ

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Pizza Hut's dinner boxes are pretty good but I am on their do not deliver list cause I had a dispute with my local franchise owner over wing sauce.

steam_sig.png
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    We had the Costco pizza and hotdog for lunch today

Still the best deal anywhere

Also their $1 churro is the best churro outside of Mexico, full stop.

640qocnq4ske.gif
    Uriel wrote: »
    Whetever is in it is the consistency of water

I have not had Pizza hut for sometime {I forgot when while trying to remember I remembered other things so it's been sometime} So I knew what their sauce was like but now?

Yeah seriously it's like... Not even as thick as tamato juice.

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I worked at Pizza Hut for about a week

The sauce is mostly water

The sauce comes in these gallon plastic bags that are emptied into a 5 gallon bucket and filled up with water at the sink

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I don't even get the tomato sauce on most pizza if there's an option for something like creamy garlic

spono wrote: »

The sauce comes in these gallon plastic bags that are emptied into a 5 gallon bucket and filled up with water at the sink

Yeah but why

Uriel wrote: »

Yeah but why

If you cut your product you can sell more of it and buy less.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Pizza Hut's dinner boxes are pretty good but I am on their do not deliver list cause I had a dispute with my local franchise owner over wing sauce.

Old_f28efa_5486236.jpg

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

I'm not surprised, but somehow am at the same time.
    Cheaper to ship a 1gal container, but adds the risk of inconsistent ratios, or franchises adding liquids that are less than 100% H2O to the mix.
    They fill the bucket with urine

MichaelLC on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I'm not surprised, but somehow am at the same time.
    Cheaper to ship a 1gal container, but adds the risk of inconsistent ratios, or franchises adding liquids that are less than 100% H2O to the mix.
    They fill the bucket with urine

that's not a thing that happens because people don't want to go to jail and get sued

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Oh yeah also we ordered this thing
    Pizza-Hut-Canada-Brings-Back-The-32.99-Triple-Treat-Box-678x381.jpg

Which was a good deal because it was like 30 bucks, but it DIDN'T COME IN THE PIZZA FILING CABINET. Just a normal stack of boxes. We were all very disappointed

Oh! Every time my ex and I ordered that, it was definitely in the filing cabinet. It's also one of the best deals they have, since it's just slightly (like a couple cents) over half off! It's an excellent deal (we always upgraded the breadsticks to cheese sticks for an extra dollar.)

• AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    There is a kebab place here in Seattle that I get lunch at about three times a week. Berliner lamb and beef salad, no cucumber. I don't really have much information to go on as it's the only kebab join I've ever really been to, but judging by the lines that are regularly out the door (seriously, I've had to stand out on the sidewalk several times) during lunch rush lead me to believe it's probably pretty good by most standards. Speaking of cheap pizza and how it might differ from country to country, I was in the Bahamas last summer and saw a few Domino's and I remember thinking to myself the last place I would want to eat would be there while on vacation, but now I'm thinking maybe it would have been an interesting experiment?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

This seems shocking, but, a lot of water is added to pastes and sauces to get a consistency you're looking for. And shipping ingredients costs money so if you have every restaurant add water you can save a lot of money, logistically, over the course of a year.

It alters flavors slightly but in the case of a pizza sauce probably not enough that anyone would notice, or, if they did, they don't eat pizza hut everywhere they go so have never had it tasting different.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    at this point I think most pizza sauces are trying too hard and I've yet to have sauce I really enjoyed that was more complicated than tomatoes and salt, maybe a touch of garlic and oregano

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    the secret re: chain pizza is entirely based on the location and if anybody gives two shits in the kitchen

for instance, the local pizza hut I have sucks ass, one of the dominos is fine and the other puts out cardboard, and the little caesars is entirely dependent on who made the tomato sauce that day (its either fine or too acidic).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    a lot of fast food is like that

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    at this point I think most pizza sauces are trying too hard and I've yet to have sauce I really enjoyed that was more complicated than tomatoes and salt, maybe a touch of garlic and oregano

I was really surprised when I looked up quality pizza sauce recipes and they were all... just that.

yeah the secret, if there is one, is that the tomatoes should be the highest-quality canned San Marzano tomatoes you can find

you don't even have to cook them, if you don't want

Shorty wrote: »
    yeah the secret, if there is one, is that the tomatoes should be the highest-quality canned San Marzano tomatoes you can find

you don't even have to cook them, if you don't want

Simple often times just tastes better. But the problem with fast food like pizza hut is those simple ingredients spoil in the month long journey of their supply chain. Local restaurants are almost always better unless they use Sysco as their supplier.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    A really good pizza sauce should be San Marzano tomatoes, diced (not minced or crushed) garlic, olive oil, salt and basil. You use water when you cook it just so you end up boiling water to lose mass so everything doesn't burn while it cooks, but those 5 ingredients are pretty damn foolproof.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Don't buy San Marzanos that are anything other than whole tomatoes.

This isn't a "one is better than the other" opinion type thing. The real, official, grown in Italy San Marzanos only come whole. If they're diced or crushed in the can, they might be San Marzano variety tomatoes, but they were grown elsewhere

I recall seeing something (Alton Brown? Really don't remember) that there is no regulation regarding calling tomatoes San Marzanos. You really have to look close and check the labeling and companies to know for sure.

This is like olive oil not actually being olive oil 99% of the time in the US.

What? I hadn't heard about that! What is it then?
    All I can find is that the US is not a part International Olive Council and doesn't actually regulate extra virgin, virgin, etc.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    This is like olive oil not actually being olive oil 99% of the time in the US.

I could Google this to be sure but I believe that's a bigger problem with imported oil than US stuff, like as long as the label says that it was produced in the US you're usually in the clear.

Also I don't fully subscribe to desperately needing to only get true San Marzano tomatoes for sauces and the like. There are other quality canned tomato brands and cultivars, but you should try to get whole tomatoes. Canned diced tomatoes in particular are loaded with extra calcium chloride to help them maintain their shape and texture. They never really break down, and I think they've got a little bit of an off (but not wholly awful) taste.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    What? I hadn't heard about that! What is it then?
    All I can find is that the US is not a part International Olive Council and doesn't actually regulate extra virgin, virgin, etc.

sometimes canola, sometimes olive cut with other stuff, sometimes almost anything vaguely oil-like.
    You can find lists online of brands which are ok but in general if it's cheap and it's from italy or greece, the odds are good it ain't olive.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I know this is the bad food thread, but that's some borderline felonious food.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Also something about olive oil and the mafia

It's kind of funny how some foods just have this whole mythos about them

#pipe wrote: »
    Don't buy San Marzanos that are anything other than whole tomatoes.

This isn't a "one is better than the other" opinion type thing. The real, official, grown in Italy San Marzanos only come whole. If they're diced or crushed in the can, they might be San Marzano variety tomatoes, but they were grown elsewhere
    chromdom wrote: »
    I recall seeing something (Alton Brown? Really don't remember) that there is no regulation regarding calling tomatoes San Marzanos. You really have to look close and check the labeling and companies to know for sure.

so, this is all true, but the thing is that San Marzano tomatoes don't have to be grown in Italy to taste good

lots of California San Marzano tomatoes are really good, still flatly better than whatever Hunt's is doing

but yes, proper Italian imported tomatoes are the best if you can get ahold of them and have the scratch

edited January 2020
    the thing about olive oil is that it should taste good on its own

if it's bland or rancid or just bad in some way then you should quit buying it and try something else, and as a home cook that's really all you need to worry about

if you've got a Costco membership, their organic olive oil is well-accepted as the best olive oil for the price

e: also Australia has extremely high standards for olive oil so if it originated there it's the real deal for sure

Shorty on
This discussion has been closed.